• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Underrated much? Pick three

Dirk

Ayatollah of Coca-Cola
Hi, fellow fedders! I was thinking about putting this in WZCW.com, but that would exclude RP's.

Of course I'm not going to call anybody overrated, but you guys are of course welcome to chat about all the spectrums of "rated-ness" (except Prophet eventually calling KO a worthless duck, Uncle P using the name "Killjob" and Remix saying something about central formatting).

It's a very subjective thing (obviously) and it doesn't necessarily correlate to RP-quality, but I think some characters don't have appropriate buzz around them.

I wouldn't include somebody like a Vega or a Krypto in here, because I think (that while they're excellent characters) these guys have some spotlight in the chat and they're only a cycle or two away from getting bumped up a notch in the card.

Like Doc said, some characters you just get a boner for (maybe not his exact words) and it's because of how much you love the character more than his/her booking or RP's. It could be the RP's too.

Here are my picks:

Mason Westhoff
I absolutely love Thriller's RP's and I've personally thought that Brother Mason was unlucky a few times when it came to a loss here and there. When TSA gets mentioned in the discussion thread, it's usually GM (since he's the leader), DC (since he's the cool roguish guy) or Whitman (since he's the new guy who exceeded everybody's expectations). I'd like to give Thriller a shout-out since I think your work is freaking amazing.

Derek Jacobs
I think DJ was criminally underrated. With Corvus turning quite a few heads now (and quite rightly so), a lot of people have come forward claiming that they never liked Jacobs. Well, I loved him. Corvus is very cool too and good luck with him, but enjoyed Derek just as much. DJ's promo's were totally off the charts and I hope he returns, even if only as an NPC.

Alex Bowen
This may be a controversial choice, as A-Bo does create some buzz. Unfortunately, it's mostly negative buzz around his handler, who can be a little testy some days. This shouldn't distract from how great the character is, however. I adore how reckless Bowen is, I love how raw his pain is and I greatly admire how you capture it so vividly, Uncle Phatso. And I still think you're cool :p

Let's go a little old school with this one:

Scott Hammond
He didn't have a gimmick that stood out like the ridiculous ones we've got hanging around today as he was quite the opposite - one of the more successful "generic" characters we've had. Every time the roster was evaluated, Hammond was always perceived as a solid RPer but he was always put a division below from where he was supposed to be. It wasn't long before Hammond got some momentum and managed to win the Mayhem championship and was Killjoy's immovable object to his irresistible force (which was saying something). He was apart of one of the best tag teams in history (Brothers in Arms) and gave guys like Blade a run for their money when it came to the Eurasian championship (they drew and headbutted so many times, it wasn't funny). He slowly moved up the card and eventually became a guy to bring your best against but Low_Ki was always underrated for his work in my eyes.

Phoenix (the wrestler)
Solid gimmick, solid character. No matter how short Thrillers' RP's were, you could count that his RP's weren't going to be easy to beat and I feel a few guys underestimated Thriller for that. When you saw a short RP, you instantly thought an easy victory. Nuh-uh... not Thriller. Now, it's well-known that a short RP could still be a good RP but back then, Phoenix got the surprise on people. It's a shame that he was only a tag team champion and nothing more.

Mister Alhazred
I had to put him here - Alhazred was around for such a long time and has such a detailed history but honestly, apart from the Forgotten Powers, what do you remember about Alhazred from back then...? Nothing? I thought so. Alhazred basically became popular recently with his feud over Krypto and really got paid attention only recently. Before that, the only thing that kept Alhazred in the picture was his friendship with James King and the tag team they formed. That was true even with the Apostles of Chaos when Alhazred decided to join them. Definitely an underrated specimen until the last few weeks (before he left).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back