• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Undercover Boss is the most rigged reality show I have ever seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FromTheSouth

You don't want it with me.
After the Super Bowl, I left the bar and came home. I sat down and ate some dinner and my television was still on CBS. I decided to go ahead and watch CBS' new reality show, Undercover Boss.

The premise of the show seemed interesting. A high executive with, in this episode, Waste Management was sent to work a few different plants within the company. He performed a variety of jobs; cleaning portable toilets, park duty, separating recycling, in the office, and on a route. The man's name was Larry O'Donnel. He is the chief operating officer and president of Waste Management. Now, he has a bit of backstory, in that he has a handicapped child. It wouldn't be realistic unless, in the only time he ever performs a job, he encounters a situation with, surprise, a handicapped person. More on this later.

Now, I argue that this is the most rigged show I have ever seen, and I will tell you why. First of all, he is sent to work in the park, picking up individual pieces of trash with a spike. He is happened to be paired with a man who has been on dialysis for 20 years. The man, of course, is an unbelievable worker.

He then gets paired in an office with a woman who is the manager, dispatcher, and gate keeper at a dump. She also happens to be host to her kids, and other family members. She has to support them all, and is in danger of losing her "dream home" because of the burden on her. She, also, is an amazing worker, pulling multiple duties and doing them efficiently.

He is also sent to a plant that penalized workers two minutes for every one minute they are late and gets paired with a woman who drives a garbage truck.

Well, throughout the episode, he discovers the effects of some of his policies, as well as the policies of other executives.

In the end, the office manager gets a promotion, raise, two assisstant, and bonuses. The sick man becomes the company health mentor, and many policies get changed. The premise of the show is good, and next week they go to Hooter's.

My problem with the show is that in one five day work week, Mr. O'Donnel happens to meet someone with a comlete and total sob story every day. While out on the route with the driver, a handicapped woman (see, I told you I would get back to it) comes out and reads a handwritten note about how great the driver is. It was a sweet and touching moment, however, when combined with sick man and the woman doing multiple jobs, and the plant penalizing workers, it just seemed like the show found places to put him that would generate good television.

I have no problem with that. I just feel that the show was so poorly produced, the coincidences too obvious, and not a realistic window on the average work day at Waste Management. There is no way he gained nearly as much perspective as he says he did in one day with the total extremes of the company.

As I said, the premise of the show is good. I would love to see executives from companies do the same thing without cameras, and without the chance to make 44 minutes of television in a commercial for their company. I think management needs to see the way it is for the everyday worker. I just think that they need a realistic experience with the company to gain perspective on the effectiveness of their policies.

Yea, I completely agree, it was just soo much to be not rigged in someway. Before seeing it I was pretty intrigued with the concept of the show and the idea of it, which is good. You had just about almost every stereotypical sad worker story here, that he "meets" with in a week. Than of course you had the perfect outcome too everything, not saying thats bad an not able to happen but sometimes things are.....too good to be true.

Would I say it's the most rigged reality show I seen? No sadly I watched Hogan's CCW.

Rigged? No. Edited for television? Yes. See, the concept of these "Reality shows" is to put real people in real situations, with some rather set up results. Now, I'd say that the WM boss traveled to more places than those particular locations that were highlighted. But those locations profiled and people profiled were 'sob' stories. Were they fake? Nah. I think they're legit, but the show was set up that way.

It's TV. And a wise man once told me, if you see it on TV, unless it's news, it's not real.

Rigged? No. Edited for television? Yes. See, the concept of these "Reality shows" is to put real people in real situations, with some rather set up results. Now, I'd say that the WM boss traveled to more places than those particular locations that were highlighted. But those locations profiled and people profiled were 'sob' stories. Were they fake? Nah. I think they're legit, but the show was set up that way.

Five days working, five sob stories. Someone in marketing got some HR files and plotted his stops. It was obviously rigged. Like I said, it made for good TV, but I don't think it provided much perspective for Mr. O'Donnell to take with him back to home office. I don't think that the entirety of the company was represented enough for him to go make policy changes. The chick that got promoted definitely deserved it, but, is he going to promote everyone who does anything like she does? He can't.

It's TV. And a wise man once told me, if you see it on TV, unless it's news, it's not real.

Even that's questionable.

I did partake in watching the show after the SuperBowl as it was hyped for some time now, and I have to agree that this was an obviously staged show. They were at least smart enough to try to find a way to explain to the viewing audience why a camera crew was there filming the "new employee" on the job ... however there is just absolutely NO WAY that everyone involved did not know in advance who the man really was.

No employee is going to invite a new person they just met for the first day on the job, over to their home and get so personal with their sob stories about losing their house, and have them over for dinner on their first and only day at the job. Completely unrealistic.

The same with the lady who was doing trash pickup and had all the people out of their homes just waiting for her, complete with a handicap person reading a letter about how much she appreciated the trash lady, of all people. How many people know their garbage people personally enough to do something like that? Not to mention she is going to show a camera crew her pee bucket the first time she met the guy?

And then, everyone gets a promotion and are recognized for their hard work after it was over?

This show is a PR piece for companies to give them some free advertising and paint themselves as an "employee friendly" company to the viewers. Nothing more.

Yes, as with the rest of Reality TV, EVERYTHING is completely staged and the whole thing is a production that is simply designed to tell fictional stories to the viewing audience.

That's my biggest issue with Reality TV ... it is anything but "Real".

#1 of television ... if it's a TV show and it's on TV ... it's Staged.

Pretty much this. Each and every situation the man was placed in was particularly arranged and every single ''chance encounter with an employee was not by chance at all. Im sure there were countless employees her could have or even did spend the day with that were totally boring and complacent with their job. But they either found the good stories beforehand or weeded out the not so interesting ones.

And the news isn't always real, be careful what you take seriously.

They explained at the begginning of the show that they were going to tell the people that they were making some sort of a documentary on workers in waste management. They could have told the people this and asked them to tell them their story. Makes sense. And just because he came across many "sob stories", etc doesn't mean the stops were arranged beforehand. Like someone else said, he went to many different houses over the course of the show and they chose to televise the ones that would make for entertaing television.

Not sure why they made the first episode about waste management, which doesn't not sound very exciting, but I was actually entertained by the show. I'm looking forward to next week's episode with Hooters. Should be interesting.

Also, on a side note, there was a show about millionaires with a similar premise. I belive they were given $100 with an apartment in a poor neighborhood and had to find a job as well as manage with the poor living conditons for a few weeks. The millionaires, along with the people on Undercover Bosses, met with people with sad stories of poverty and grief, etc which seemed "staged." But they could have very well met 30 people, and those 4 that were televised, were televised for a reason, being that they had an entertaing story to tell.

Very similar shows and similar editing in the way of choosing what people and stories to put on their shows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back