• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

UFC Live 3: Sanchez vs. Kampmann

INDYjon22

Nome is where your heart is
UFCVS3.jpg

Main Card
Diego Sanchez vs. Martin Kampmann
C.B. Dollaway vs. Mark Munoz
Alessio Sakara vs. Chris Weidman
Brian Bowles vs. Damacio Page

Prelims
Joe Stevenson vs. Danny Castillo
Takeya Mizugaki vs. Rueben Duran
Shane Roller vs. Thiago Tavares
Erik Koch vs. TBA
Steve Cantwell vs. Cyrille Diabate
Matt Brown vs. TBA
Rob Kimmons vs. Dongi Yang
Igor Pokrajac vs. Todd Brown
Dave Branch vs. Rousimar Palhares​

UFC Live has been fairly successful so far and this card looks just as promising. The main event alone is worth a watch seeing as both Diego and Kampmann looked excellent in their last fights and should make for a very entertaining fight. The other main card fights and the prelims are also very interesting and could make for a lot of fun.

Diego vs. Kampmann should be a war. Diego looked awesome in his fight with Paulo Thiago at UFC 121. He like him a lot more at Welterweight, it seems to be a better fit for him. If he comes into this fight with Kampmann like he did against Paulo he stands a great chance at winning. That said, Kampmann is no slouch. His stand up is great and he really took the fight to Jake Shields in his previous fight. If both men come in with that killer mentality then we should see a great fight.

Dollaway vs. Munoz will be interesting. Dollaway has been really hit or miss so far in his career. He will pick up a few wins and then suffer a submission loss. Munoz may not bring a worry of being submitted with him, but sure as hell brings a fear of being KO'ed. Munoz is incredibly strong and will have the advantage in the striking. Dollaway has some very good wrestling so his best bet is to take this fight to the ground. It should be a nice chess match.

Sakara vs. Weidman doesn't fascinate me all that much, especially considering that Sakara was originally supposed to fight Falcao. But I guess this will do. Weidman is undefeated and has a few wins by way of strikes but I fear his lack of experience will hurt him in this fight him especially against a guy with the striking that Sakara possesses.

Brian Bowles is a former champion who has never gone the distance in his fights. Damacio Page on the other hand has a bit of a checkered history with his wins and loses. This will be an interesting fight just to see if Bowles has any ring rust seeing as he has been gone for close to a year.

The undercard has some interesting fight, but I do find it curious that the card is so close and there are still some slots that need to be filled with fighters. Stevenson vs. Castillo is a make or break fight for both men. If Castillo wins then he will get a big name on his record and be on a 3 fight win streak. Whereas Stevenson really needs a win. If he loses then that will be 3 in a row and possibly be his final fight in the UFC. He really needs the win. Takeya Mizugaki usually provides for an entertaining fight. Same goes for Matt Brown. Tavares vs. Roller could be a fun little grappling match. Cantwell vs. Diabate should be a slugfest. And it will be interesting to see how Palhares bounces back from his loss to Marquardt.

UFC Live has been an enjoyable show in the past. We have seen destruction in the form of Jon Jones destruction of Matyushenko and Brandon Vera. As well as Takanori Gomi's brutal KO of Tyson Griffin. The main event of UFC Live 3 definitely has the potential of being a great fight, as do some of the other fights. It should be a lot of fun to watch.

I will probably actually just record this event and fast forward through things. This card isn't very interesting to me at all.

Sanchez will most likely wrestle the hell out of Kampmann much like Shields did.

Munoz ought to do the same to Dollaway.

Legionarius should run roughshod over Weidman.

Bowles vs. Page is the only interesting match-up on the main card for me. I'm predicting Bowles to win that match, but Page is an interesting challenge. If nothing else because, as you mentioned, ring rust.

The only other fight on this card that piques my interest is Cantwell vs. Diabate. I really thought that Diabate would get bounced out of the UFC rather quickly, but that man can hit like a son of a bitch. A knockout is most certainly happening in this fight and I don't care who gets it.

It really bugs me to see the fall from grace for Diego Sanchez, and to a far greater extent, Joe Stevenson. Both men are TUF alums, both guys were part of the initial boom period of the sport, and both have had title fights. With a fairly lackluster PPV card this Saturday, both men still find themselves on Fight Night and Joe in the prelims. Ouch.

At this point, I have to question Joe Daddy's heart for the business. Sure, he doesn't have Diego's work ethic, but few do. Joe Daddy should be able to pull his head out of his ass for a big win to survive here. Hopefully it reminds him of his potential.

If Diego loses, he's in limbo. He struggled at Lightweight after being demolished by BJ Penn, and now at Welter he has to prove himself. He's still hungry, so give me Diego for the win.

Couldn't care less about the rest of the fights, TBH, except wanting to see CB Dolloway lose just because he beat a buddy of mine (Mike Messenzio) in his PPV debut.

It really bugs me to see the fall from grace for Diego Sanchez, and to a far greater extent, Joe Stevenson. Both men are TUF alums, both guys were part of the initial boom period of the sport, and both have had title fights. With a fairly lackluster PPV card this Saturday, both men still find themselves on Fight Night and Joe in the prelims. Ouch.

At this point, I have to question Joe Daddy's heart for the business. Sure, he doesn't have Diego's work ethic, but few do. Joe Daddy should be able to pull his head out of his ass for a big win to survive here. Hopefully it reminds him of his potential.

If Diego loses, he's in limbo. He struggled at Lightweight after being demolished by BJ Penn, and now at Welter he has to prove himself. He's still hungry, so give me Diego for the win.

Couldn't care less about the rest of the fights, TBH, except wanting to see CB Dolloway lose just because he beat a buddy of mine (Mike Messenzio) in his PPV debut.

I don't know if you can call Diego vs. Penn a title "fight." I'd call that a title shot, but certainly not a fight. Diego landed 8 fucking strikes. Seriously, I'm reminded of Harry Doyle from Major League.

8 Strikes? That's all he got? 8 god damn strikes?

Stevenson has always been a middle rung fighter. I don't actually believe that TUF is what it once was. The guys that win it now are starting to get cut and put on the bottom of the cards. It shows you how far we've fallen.

Kampman looked alright against the shittiest Jake Shields I've ever seen, but I'm still taking him over Diego.
I think he'll be able to stuff Diego's takedowns and he'll definately win the stand-up battle.
Hitman over The Dream by decision.

I don't actually believe that TUF is what it once was. The guys that win it now are starting to get cut and put on the bottom of the cards. It shows you how far we've fallen.

After Nate Diaz won I really haven't cared for anyone from TUF.

Meh, to be quite honest, I'm only looking forward to the main event of this show. The undercard isn't too bad, but it's nothing worth analyzing, so I'll just give my thoughts on the main event.

I have always been a Diego Sanchez fan, and I do believe he's back to his old form. He looked absolutely phenomenal in his last fight against Paulo Thiago. That was Diego's first fight since rejoining Greg Jackson's camp, and like I said... he looked like his old self. I also think Diego getting himself into so much debt and hitting rock bottom in both his professional and personal life has given him more motivation than he's ever had before.

All that said, if Diego is stupid enough to stand and trade with Martin Kampmann, then he's getting his ass kicked. However, I don't feel Diego is that stupid, and that he will look to take Kampmann down and make this a grappling match. He won't be able to submit Kampmann, but he will be able to control the fight if it's on the ground.

So, yeah... this is by no means an easy fight for Diego Sanchez, but it's most certainly one he should win if he enters the cage with the right mind-set. I'm definitely looking forward to it.

While I will be rooting for C.B, I believe he has no chance against Mark. While California wrestling is not as good in my opinion as Ohio wrestling, and Cb in high school wrestled in the harder division. Marks wrestling skills are just better than Cb's could ever be. His take downs are smooth and he is very quick to get off his stomach and into guard when he does get caught on the ground. Both men have two losses against very good opponents, Mark has lost to sexyami and Hamill. While Cb has lost to tom Lawlor and Amir sadollah. What I'm going to look at here is the Bjj that they both has, Munoz with his combined wrestling take downs and better Bjj should submit Cb pretty easily after wearing him out with some big hands.

Sakara vs Weildman could really go either way, Wieldman is kind of unknown but from what I can look up of him he is pretty solid. Sakara's last win was over James Irvin in pretty convincing fashion. Look for Sakara's hands to be something special in this fight.

Bowles vs page should be a great fight. In Wec Bowels was a wrecking ball until Cruz knocked him on his ass. Its been almost a year since he last fought, so that might be a factor. The angel of death on the other hand is no slouch, he has potent hands and some good Bjj to back up knockdowns. But I see Bowles submitting him or getting a nice decision out of this one.

I really have no clue right now, both men have lost to the top in their division, Diego lost to bj in a monster fight. And Martin lost to Jake shields in a pretty good fight. I don't expect it to be as good of a fight as everyone says it will be, but none the less it should be alright.

We're only a few hours away from seeing Sanchez and his intense walkout. Brock is probably second to Diego for the most intense walkouts. I'm really looking forward to the main event. The way Diego and Kampmann both looked in their last fights, should have everyone pumped for this fight. Diego ran through Thiago, while Kampmann lost to Shields he still looked very very good. Ever since his KO loss to Paul Daley Kampmann has been a different fighter, for the better. Diego hit a rough patch first by getting pounded by B.J. for 5 1/2 rounds, then looked completely lost in his return fight against Hathaway. As JMT pointed out he returned to Gregg Jackson's gym and put on a clinic against Paulo Thiago. For this fight Diego would be stupid to try and win by standing and trading strikes with Kampmann. Diego has never been stopped by strikes and can take one hell of a beating as we seen in the Penn fight, but if he does decide to stand, he will lose a decision. His best bet is to use the same game plan he had against Thiago and execute it.

Since losing TUF 7 to Amir, Dollaway has been on a nice little role. Winning 5 of his 6 fights. Munoz was starting to look like a serious contender in the Middleweight division, but his last few fights haven't been making him out to be. I think this fight will look a lot like his last fight against Simpson, Munoz seems to be a lot stronger than C.B. and he will be able to use that to control him, and out wrestle C.B. to a decision.

Weidman is still fairly new to the game. Being only 4-0 and now getting his first fight in the UFC, stepping in as a replacement for Natal who in return was replacing Falcao, he fights Sakara. Weidman does have a little advantage in this fight though, as Sakara hasn't fought in a year. Sakara still should win this fight if he is on his game.

Bowels/Page should be a helluva fight. Especially if Page shows up and fights the way he did back at WEC 52 against Johnson, just hopefully his conditioning is a little better. Bowels always brings an exciting fight, so this should be a nice fight to open the show.

Pretty solid show. Lots of entertainment and the curse of brutality on the Live shows continued tonight. Maybe not so much as in the previous shows, but man the KO in the Tavares/Roller fight was pretty brutal and Diego's face was a bloody mess.

Sanchez vs. Kampmann was an absolute war. Kampmann did a great job at picking Sanchez apart in that first round, but half way through the second round you could feel the momentum change. Sanchez caught Kampmann and the fight totally changed control. Once Sanchez finally cut Kampmann, as well as Kampmann breaking his hand, the fight was all Sanchez. He pushed the pace and took the fight to Kampmann and I completely believe the judges got the decision correct. Sanchez won that fight. Great fight.

Dolloway did a great job getting the fight to the ground early on, why he let Munoz get back up is beyond me. Munoz just dominated CB once the fight got standing again. I do believe the fight was stopped to early, but it really wouldn't have changed anything. CB was on his way out regardless. Munoz is a beast and can give anyone a tough fight.

Weidman vs. Sakara was decent. Weidman is definitely a top prospect at this point. He just imposed his dominance on a very game, yet overwhelmed, Sakara. Great performance from Weidman.

I was worried Bowles time away from the cage would hurt him, but he looked good. Page is a tough guy but Bowles weathered the early storm and got his second submission victory over Page. As long as Bowles stays healthy he will be a dangerous fight for anyone in the division.

Steve Cantwell is a tough bastard, but I will never understand his gameplan. It makes no sense to stand and bang with a kick boxing champion. Hopefully, he learns from this fight. On the other side of things I hope Diabate will get a killer instinct because he was not fighting for the finish tonight. He was destroying Cantwell on the feet but he wouldn't go for the finish. I hope to see better from both guys.

Joe Stevenson started out well, but Danny Castillo turned the fight around and controlled the fight after the first round. I don't really expect Stevenson to keep his job after losing this fight, but I guess I could see him getting another shot. He really needs to change some things though. Castillo looked good, but still needs some improvement.

Thiago Tavares was dominating the stand up against Shane Roller, but my god was Rollers KO of Tavares impressive. It has to be one of the most brutal looking KO's I have seen and is definitely an early favorite for KO of the year, obviously a very early favorite. Very impressive, because he came back from a bit of a beating.

Igor Pakrajac looked great. Not a whole lot more to say about it. He threw a beautiful head kick that didn't quite get the KO but lead to a big knee and then the finish. Great performance from a guy who needed it.

Very solid night of fights with some awesome finishes that were great to see. I can't wait to see where Diego Sanchez and Mark Munoz go from here, but both guys should have some fun fights in store.

If Sanchez walks in there in crazy mexican mode he should win this. No, seriously if Diego walks into that octagon and motivated with a good game plan then it should be a fight to remember it has major potential as we all have pointed out, and i am looking really forward to this fight. The rest of this card is average and im not really bothered going through them all.

Joe Stevenson has really dug himself in a hole, he has looked unmotivated since his loss to George Sotiropulous at UFC 110. Is a must win fight and it is a winnable fight if he comes prepared.

Im disappointed to see one of my personal favourites Rousimar Palhares so far down on the card of a UFC live event. I see potential in this man and i hope he gets the win.

Well, Diego Sanchez vs. Martin Kampmann sure was a war, huh?

Initially, I thought the judges were correct with their scoring, but I watched the replay of the fight while going to sleep last night and I ended up giving the 2nd Round to Kampmann after watching it again. Diego never really "rocked" him like Rogan put over, and while Diego's flurries were a sight to behold, when you really watch it, not much actually landed.

Plus, I've always said that stuffing a takedown should earn someone as many points as getting a takedown, so on that fact alone I have to give Kampmann the 2nd Round, since he also did land some good shots in the round to go with the stuffed takedowns. In the third, however, not only did Diego finally succeed in getting a takedown, but Kampmann hardly threw anything the entire round and was only looking to survive since he figured he won the first two rounds.

So, while I wouldn't label the judging a "robbery," I do have to take back what I said last night and give the fight to Kampmann 29-28. The 2nd Round was close, no doubt, but overall Kampmann dictated where the fight took place and he did land more shots. I do understand someone though if they want to give the round to Diego just based off of pure aggression alone, since he was the one pressing the action, while Kampmann sat back looking to counter and avoid the takedown. However, in my personal opinion, while I'm a much bigger fan of Diego's than I am Kampmann, I do believe Kampmann won the fight last night.

All that said, Diego is a warrior to the truest sense of the word. He took an ASS WHOOPIN' in that 1st Round, and it didn't slow him down a second. To take that kind of a beating, while also suffering those kinds cuts and bumps on his face, and continue to keep fighting like the fight just started is truly remarkable. Say what you want about Diego Sanchez, but there's no denying the heart he possesses. It's because of that heart why I'll always remain a fan of his, no matter what.

C.B. Dollaway vs. Mark Munoz was a complete joke. Dollaway landed a beautiful takedown, and could have taken Munoz's back, but instead decided to just stand back up and try to strike with a GREAT Muay Thai expert in Mark Munoz. It made no fucking sense whatsoever. But oh well; Dollaway has no one to blame but himself. Whether he believes that was an early stoppage or not, his dumb ass should have never let Munoz back up. Terrible.

Chris Weidman looked superb in his UFC debut against Alessio Sakara. This kid is definitely going places. He has tremendous wrestling, and his striking is very good, too. Having those qualities, plus good sub defense (which he has as well), is the key to being a very successful Mixed Martial Artist. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing Weidman fight again. Plus, I'm a huge Matt Serra fan, so it's nice to see one of his fighters do well.

Brian Bowles vs. Damacio Page was a great one round fight. Damacio came out swinging for the fences, coming close to connecting a few times. However, Bowles remained patient, picked his shots, and put Page away when he felt the time was right. Awesome performance. Would love to see Bowles vs. Urijah Faber next, if Faber wins at UFC 128.

Igor Pokrajac looked better than ever against Todd Brown. Was interesting to see him call out Tito after the fight. It looks like everyone in the Light Heavyweight Division wants a piece of Tito these days.

Joe Stevenson lost again. He ought to just hang 'em up. Nothing against Danny Castillo, but he is not the type who should be able to control Stevenson for three straight rounds. Joe Daddy just doesn't have anything left in the tank, I don't think.

And Rousimar Palhares submitting a legit black belt in David Branch was fucking SICK. This guy is something serious. Hopefully he gets a step up in competition next. I choose to ignore the Marquardt fight for now. I want to see what Palhares really has to offer. If Chael Sonnen vs. Michael Bisping doesn't happen, then I would love to see Palhares vs. Sonnen next. That fight would be really, really interesting, to say the least.

One cannot complain about that card last night, unless you are a huge Kampmann fan. What a great night of fights put on for a free card. Every fight was entertaining as hell, besides the 3rd round in the Cantwell/Diabate.

Let me start with the main event. What a fucking war put on by Sanchez and Kampmann. By the end of the fight and during his post fight interview with Joe Rogan, Diego's face looked like he was in a remake, standing in for Sly Stallone in Rocky 1. There is so much arguing going on everywhere from Rogan's, Forrest's, Dana's twitter, and various other outlets about who actually one the fight. I thought initially Diego won the fight, having re-watched it I still felt the same way, so I went a step further and actually looked up the rules on judging just to see the fine print on it, here is what I took out of the long list,

E. Judging Criteria
1. Judges are required to determine the winner of a bout that goes to it's full time limit based upon the following criteria:
-Clean Strikes
-Effective Grappling
-Octagon Control
-Effective Aggressiveness

F. Clean Strikes
1. The fighter who is landing both effective and efficient clean strikes.
2. There are two ways of measuring strikes:
-the total number of clean strikes landed (more efficient) -the total number of heavy strikes landed (more effective)

G. The heavier striker who lands with efficiency, deserves more credit from the Judges than total number landed.
1. If the striking power between the fighters was equal, then the total number landed would be used as the criteria.
2. The total number of strikes landed, should be of sufficient quantity favoring a fighter, to earn a winning round.

H. Strikes thrown from the top position of the guard, are generally heavier and more effective than those thrown from the back.
1. Thus a Judge shall recognize that effective strikes thrown from the top guard position are of "higher quality", than thrown from the bottom.
2. The Judge shall recognize that this is not always the case.
However, the vast majority of fighters prefer the top guard position to strike from. This is a strong indication of positional dominance for striking.

I. Effective Grappling
1. The Judge shall recognize the value of both the clean takedown and active guard position.
2. The Judge shall recognize that a fighter who is able to cleanly takedown his opponent, is effectively grappling.
3. A Judge shall recognize that a fighter on his back in an active guard position, can effectively grapple, through execution of repeated threatening attempts at submission and reversal resulting in continuous defense from the top fighter.
4. A Judge shall recognize that a fighter who maneuvers from guard to mount is effectively grappling.
5. A Judge shall recognize that the guard position alone shall be scored neutral or even, if none of the preceding situations were met.(items 2-4) 6. A Judge shall recognize that if the fighters remain in guard the majority of a round with neither fighter having an edge in clean striking or effective grappling, (items 2-4), the fighter who scored the clean takedown deserves the round.
7. A clean reversal is equal to a clean takedown in effective grappling

J. Octagon Control
1. The fighter who is dictating the pace, place and position of the fight.
2. A striker who fends off a grappler's takedown attempt to remain standing and effectively strike is octagon control.
3. A grappler who can takedown an effective standing striker to ground fight is octagon control.
4. The fighter on the ground who creates submission, mount or clean striking opportunities

K. Effective Aggressiveness
1. This simply means who is moving forward and finding success.(scoring) 2. Throwing a strike moving backwards is not as effective as a strike thrown moving forward.
3. Throwing strikes and not landing is not effective aggressiveness.
4. Moving forward and getting struck is not effective aggressiveness.
5. Shooting takedowns and getting countered and fended off is not effective aggressiveness.

Now going by that, I would have to give the fight to Kampmann then. What I put in bold is what Diego was doing throughout the last two rounds. So you would have to score the rounds for Kampmann then, you would think. This is coming from a huge Diego fan in myself. I could see the judges still giving Diego the fight though, because he looked like he was landing a lot of strikes and for his aggressiveness at the end of rounds 2 and 3, and we know that if you finish the round like that in a close fight, the judges always look at that. So yeah, I'm happy Diego got the win, sucks for Kampmann as he is faulted for lack of the judges doing their job, but still another solid performance by him in a losing effort. Diego is just a machine plain and simple, the guy can take one hell of a beating and will not slow down.

Munoz looked like the contender I was talking about in my original post. Dollaway fucked up by letting him up though and paid for it by getting knocked out even if it was only for a split second. Jon feels the fight was stopped early, but if you look at the replay at the end of the fight, the overhead view you see C.B. clearly go out for a split second. Like I said in the LD it was just like when Koscheck was put out for that split second in his fight with Paulo Thiago. Mario stepped in at the right time. Just look for that part in the replay and I guarantee you change your mind.

What a debut for Chris Weidman. This kid could clearly be the future of the Middleweight division. He is still relatively new to the game, with that fight being only his 5th pro fight. I hope the UFC let's him develop before throwing him into bigger names. I think he's only 26, so no need to rush him into anything. With some more work on his striking, he will certainly go far in the division. His wrestling was top notch, continually looking for a better position when he had Sakara on the ground. Had this not been Sakara's first fight in a year, things might have gone a little different, but still an awesome performance by Weidman.

Bowles looked great in his first fight back from breaking his hand. Page came out strong, looking to end the fight early, but Bowles played it safe and didn't commit, until he saw an opening, then dropped Page and choked him out cold. Performances like that is why he doesn't make it to the 3rd round. I agree with with JMT, if Faber wins against Wineland, book Faber/Bowles.

Igor definitely looked like gold in his fight. Looks like Tito is becoming the Wandy of the LHW division, everyone wants a piece now as Igor called him out.

Joe Stevenson is probably done in the UFC, he just isn't the same anymore. Sucks because he is still fairly young, but has a ton of mileage on him. Good performance by Castillo. Joe didn't look terrible throughout the whole fight, he had a few bright spots. But Castillo dominated for the most part. If Joe does get cut, someone will sign him up fast for the name value alone. I think a little tour with the lower leagues could do him some justice before he goes to Strikeforce or Bellator if he gets cut by the UFC.

Diabate/Cantwell looked just like a sparing session for Diabate. Cantwell is tough, for taking that beating throughout the fight. This fight was much like the Falcao/Harris fight where Falcao was dominating the fight and took the third round off, same thing Diabate did. Cantwell was to battered to do anything in the 3rd. Diabate needed to finish that fight. I'd say let Tito fight Diabate next, definitely a winnable fight for Tito. Ortiz would not only eat those strikes by Diabate, he would at least take him down and put a hurting on him.

Told you guys i see major potential in Rousimar Palhares the man is a beast. It was awesome to see him get the sub.

Diego Sanchez looked like BJ Penn at the end of the fight. I really do believe Sanchez as he was effectively controlling the octagon and constantly pressing the action, which is one of the major factors as to why the judges gave it to him. Kampmann did well, but he let off thinking he had already won towards the end of the fight. But other than that an excellent fight as is becoming a trend with Diego Sanchez, and im quickly becoming a big fan.

Overall great night of fights and couldn't be disappointed.

Great set of fights.

Diego/Kampmann was a war. I predicted everything but got the winner wrong. The Hitman stuffed all but 1 TD and was the better striker so when the judges gave the decision to Diego I went crazy.
Then I saw the fight again and I get the decision.
Diego pushed the fight the whole time. If anything its Kampmann's fault for letting it go to the judges. He was stuffing the TD's and had better stand-up, he should've destroyed Diego, BJ Penn style.
If this was Pride and you look at the fight as a whole then Kampmann clearly won, but on a round by round basis I can see how Diego won.

Someone put a hit on Tito because everyone wants him.

O and Sakara's a badass.

Diego needs to cut down on some weight. He was good, but he was way too chubby for that fight. I mean he just won this fight, so obviously he won't go down a weight class, but he needs to try to work the belly off a little bit.

As for the actual fight, I wasn't mad about the result, but Kampmann could have won. Had Kampmann knocked Sanchez down a few more times or at least rocked him a few times, he would have had it. His first round, although impressive, wasn't enough.

You know what's funny Indy and Jeff, we could not have been further off in our assessments. That was a hell of a card. The undercard was absolutely entertaining.

Kampmann probably should have won that fight and I picked him to win the fight on my fantasy site, but I figured Diego would get the nod. After the Fukuda-Ring fight, I'm surprised by nothing.

Dollaway is an idiot for giving up prime real estate to stand with Munoz. He was out, too. No ifs ands or buts about it. I can't say I would have minded Munoz landing one or two more of those thunderous shots, though. I hate Dollaway.

I'm surprised that NOBODY has said a word about Shane Roller knocking the taste right out of Tavares' mouth. That was an early candidate for KOTY. Holy shit did Roller land something beautiful. I seriously had to double check to make sure nobody has mentioned this yet.

What the hell!?!

I was raging about the Diego Sanchez vs Martin Kampmann fight. I had Kampmann at 29-28. I honestly couldn't believe that he took the decision.... not only was it a wrong decision he got it unanimously. I'm no professional on fighting but shouldn't a defended take down work against the attacking fighter. A take down automatically will 90% of the time win a round for a fighter these days but what about the successfully defended take downs should the defending fighter get anything for it.

This is a question that should be put forth to the judges that score fights?

I was raging about the Diego Sanchez vs Martin Kampmann fight. I had Kampmann at 29-28. I honestly couldn't believe that he took the decision.... not only was it a wrong decision he got it unanimously. I'm no professional on fighting but shouldn't a defended take down work against the attacking fighter. A take down automatically will 90% of the time win a round for a fighter these days but what about the successfully defended take downs should the defending fighter get anything for it.

This is a question that should be put forth to the judges that score fights?

Actually, per the Unified Rules of MMA, you're spot on. His defense of those takedowns counts as octagon control. BuffaloDave covered this when he posted the criteria for MMA judges. Too bad we fans recognize it and the judges don't.

That being said, I think the take-down department of judging needs some SERIOUS work. i.e. submission attempts off the back vs. just laying on someone, throwing pointless body shots to drive up FightMetric stats, an active guard, etc...

MMA judging needs to be seriously addressed, that's no big secret.

I had Kampmann winning the fight, but follow me on this for some insight as to how I watch fights. It might lessen your anger.

I watch fights from three different lenses.

1. Who I gave the fight to

This is my lens. Essentially, what I saw and how I feel it should have gone. There's a little subjectivity here because I account for things that the URoMMA don't account for.

2. How the judges SHOULD score the fight.

Using the Unified Rules of MMA, this his how the fight SHOULD be scored. There's rules and by-laws, the judges should follow them. Do the rules need an overhaul? Absolutely, but since they are, currently, the rules, we should be scoring the fights according to them.

3. How the judges probably WILL score the fight.

This is where I account for their ignorance. I look at the stupid little things that the judges aren't supposed to consider but, ULTIMATELY, they do, and prepare myself accordingly.

These little things include, but are not limited to:

Pushing forward and throwing wildly (for some reason they see aggression and control)

Takedowns where the opponent hops right back up and, LITERALLY, no damage is sustained.

Blood. (this is a big one. Judges jizz themselves over it.)

I hope this helps you out a lot. Nobody would disagree that MMA judging needs an overhaul, but I don't see it coming any time soon. I hope that if you use this system, your disappointment level and anger drops.

If nothing else, at the end of the day, you know you're smarter than an MMA judge.

Was bored last night and forgot I recorded this on my DVR so I watched the show and holy SHIT Weidman vs. Sakara was a god damn war they were just covered in blood throughout that one. Was shocked by how brutal that fight was. Main event was damn good and brutal as well, another war. Really glad I ended up watching this show and it seems my periodical every 6 months or so re-interest in MMA has returned again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back