• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

UFC 134: Rio

INDYjon22

Nome is where your heart is
UFC-134-Poster-340x450.jpg

Main Card
  • Middleweight Championship: Anderson Silva vs. Yushin Okami
  • Light Heavyweight Bout: Mauricio Rua vs. Forrest Griffin
  • Heavyweight Bout: Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira vs. Brendan Schaub
  • Lightweight Bout: Ross Pearson vs. Edson Barboza
  • Light Heavyweight Bout: Luiz Cane vs. Stanislav Nedkov
Undercard
  • Bantamweight Bout: Raphael Assuncao vs. Johnny Eduardo
  • Lightweight Bout: Spencer Fisher vs. Thiago Tavares
  • Welterweight Bout: Paulo Thiago vs. David Mitchell
  • Featherweight Bout: Yuri Alcantara vs. Felipe Arantes
  • Welterweight Bout: Erick Silva vs. Luis Ramos
  • Middleweight Bout: Rousimar Palhares vs. Dan Miller
  • Bantamweight Bout: Yves Jabouin vs. Ian Loveland
The UFC finally comes back to Brazil for the first time since I believe 1999. It should be a historic night for the sport and the organization and it is loaded with a stellar card.

Anderson Silva vs. Yushin Okami is years in the making. Okami was the last person to record a victory over Anderson, even though it was a DQ win. Okami has a ton of strength and power in both his striking and wrestling. His wrestling will be his key to victory. However, I believe Anderson's striking and submission skills off his back will be enough to thwart most of Okami's offense and give him the advantage in the fight. Anderson is just to dangerous from all areas and I think he will pick up a decision win.

The first fight between Rua and Forrest sky rocketed Forrest to a title shot, this second fight could possibly have the same results. Rua is looking to rebound from the beating he took at the hands of Jon Jones, while Forrest is looking to continue his current win streak by improving it to 3 in a row. Rua has the striking advantage and is probably better on the ground, but Forrest is tenacious as he showed in the first fight. As long as both guys are healthy this should be a war for the ages.

Brendan Schaub has been trying to make a name for himself for some time now. A win over Big Nog would notch another big name on his resume, however Big Nog is no push over. If Nog has truly healed up some of his nagging injuries then I think he should be to much for Schaub to handle. Nog's striking and BJJ is better but Schaub only needs one clean punch to win. Personally I hope Nog knocks Schaub clean the fuck out.

Ross Pearson is being used as a stepping stone for Edson Barboza. Simple as that. Barboza is a top prospect who is exciting as hell to watch. Pearson is good but I don't think he will be able to handle the striking Barboza will throw at him.

The rest of the card is solid and will feature interesting bouts for Thiago Tavares vs. Spencer Fisher, Paulo Thiago and Luiz Cane. All are somewhat significant Brazilian fighters who are typically enjoyable to watch. The Rio card should be fantastic to watch if for the atmosphere alone. I cannot wait. Also, it will be interesting to see how the Brazilian crowd treats the always popular Chael Sonnen, sarcasm intended. We may very well see the first ever MMA murder on PPV.

On paper it does look like Silva, could pull out a win over Okami, but not only has Okami been training with Chael Sonnen so his submission defense has improved, He's also a black belt in Judo, and a Submission grappler, if he gets a takedown, it may not be just GNP,

Even though Rua lost the first time, Rua is coming off a loss to Jones and will be more motivated then ever, especially in Brazil. But it could go either way, so I don't know, I just think if Griffin gets this win, he needs to abandon that Freestyle Fighting form of fighting and start getting proficient in certain styles.

And Schaub, I would take over Big Nog, Nog may have the advantage in the submission game but as long as Schaub keeps this fights standing where all fights usually start I see him getting a quick KO, Nog is going to have to shoot in for a takedown as soon as the bell hits because if he doesn't, with that glass chin of his, he could be out.

On paper it does look like Silva, could pull out a win over Okami, but not only has Okami been training with Chael Sonnen so his submission defense has improved, He's also a black belt in Judo, and a Submission grappler, if he gets a takedown, it may not be just GNP,

Even though Rua lost the first time, Rua is coming off a loss to Jones and will be more motivated then ever, especially in Brazil. But it could go either way, so I don't know, I just think if Griffin gets this win, he needs to abandon that Freestyle Fighting form of fighting and start getting proficient in certain styles.

And Schaub, I would take over Big Nog, Nog may have the advantage in the submission game but as long as Schaub keeps this fights standing where all fights usually start I see him getting a quick KO, Nog is going to have to shoot in for a takedown as soon as the bell hits because if he doesn't, with that glass chin of his, he could be out.

Wait......did you seriously just say Big Nog has a glass jaw. I am literally in shock by that comment right now. In no way does Nog have a glass jaw. Go back and watch his fights in Pride! or against guys like Randy Couture and Tim Sylvia. He took some beatings and never once slowed down. Sure Nog is older but the two (t)ko loses he has on his record were when he was sick and against the best Heavyweight in the world today. In no way shape or form do those loses make his jaw weak, he just fought heavy hitters who knock everyone out or wasn't at his best in the first place. Don't mistake it as a glass jaw. And trust me, Nog has the better technical striking then Schaub. If Schaub does somehow knockout Nog then maybe I will entertain the idea of his jaw not being as great as it once was, and I'll be honest it isn't, but he will have to get knocked out to make me even think it's made of glass. Nogueira isn't CroCop, he is still a very good fighter and his experience should help lead him to a victory in his home country. Lets also not forget Schaub's suspect chin. Recall his fight with Big Country? I sure do and his chin looked awful in that fight.

Should be a good card, can't wait for some of the undercard matchups.

Ian Loveland vs Yves Jabouin: two decently solid guys, Loveland by decision.

Erick Silva vs Luis Ramos: 7 of Silva's 12 wins have been by submission, going with Silva by submission(rear naked choke)

Yuri Alcantara vs Felipe Arantes: Yuri is a guy I am very excited to see debut in the UFC, unless Arantes gets lucky it's going to be Alcantara by Obliteration

Raphael Assuncao vs Johnny Eduardo: Assuncao by Submission(Armbar)

Paulo Thiago vs David Mitchell: Mitchell is certainly not a slouch on the ground, 9 of his 11 wins have been by submission. However Paulo is on another level, he will avoid Mitchell's ground offense and score a finish. Thiago by TKO

Rousimar Palhares vs Dan Miller: Rousimar is one scary dude, but i'm really pulling for Dan Miller because I like the guy alot. Rousimar probably won't be able to sub him, but I do see him winning unfortunatly. So I hope Dan surprises me but I have to say Palhares by Decision

Thiago Tavares vs Spencer Fisher: This one is going to be a killer war that will end with Spencer Fisher by TKO

Luiz Cane vs Stanislav Nedkov: Nedkov looks like a good prospect with wins over Wuiff and Randleman, but I still think Cane is on another level and has finally found his groove in the UFC. Cane by KO

Ross Pearson vs Edson Barboza: Barboza should pull this off, but I think it will be harder than people are expecting. I say Pearson weathers the storm but loses at the judges cards,but expect a killer fight. Barboza by Decision

Brendan Schaub vs Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira: Schaub is overrated, I cannot wait to see this "Legend Killer" get put in his place by a legend who is very close to over the hill but not quite there yet. Nog will take what he has and get him down for the submission. If Schaub gets lucky and clips him, I will be very much pissed. Nog by Submission(Anaconda)

Maurico Shogun Rua vs Forrest Griffin: Boy we've been waiting for this one for a while havent we? Ever since the night Forrest Griffin submitted Shogun, my friend has been preaching about how Shogun was injured and if he wasn't he would have destroyed Griffin. He was very excited when this rematch was announced as expected, but I have a haunting feeling that he won't get the result he's expecting :p I like both guys equally, and for his sake i'll go with Shogun. But part of me wants to see his reaction if Forrest wins again.... Rua by TKO

Let me start by saying that I would love nothing more than seeing Okami upset Anderson, I like Okami's style and addittude and I hate Anderson. However, there is no way that he is beating Silva and I hate to say this but Anderson is going to knock him out. Silva by KO

I expect almost all of these fights to be extremely entertaining and I think this is a great card to bring us back to Brazil with!

Very excited for tomorrow's card. It looks like it's going to be a great show.

The main event, however, I feel will be a complete one-sided affair. Anyone who actually believes Okami stands a chance is either a major Japanophile whose only picking him because he's Japanese, or they are a blind Anderson Silva hater slash Chael Sonnen nuthugger. People forget that Anderson was hurt in the Chael fight, not to mention that Okami doesn't have nearly the same wrestling Sonnen does, as shown when those two fought each other. Moreover, while Okami may be more "powerful" than Sonnen, power is not what got Anderson took down repeatedly by Sonnen, it was Sonnen's speed combined with the fact that Anderson's ribs were fucked up.

So yeah... basically, Anderson's the best, most skilled pound for pound fighter in the World, while Okami is an above average Middleweight lay and prayer. Anderson will win this fight in dominating fashion. Guaranteed.

Shogun vs. Forrest is the fight I'm personally most anticipating, and as a huge Shogun fan, of course I'm heavily rooting for him. And seeing the shape he seems to be in, I do have faith in my main man Shogun to give Forrest the ass whoopin' of a lifetime. What worries me though is that the Forrest Griffin we saw against Rich Franklin is unlike any Forrest Griffin we've ever seen. Forrest, besides now Jon Jones, is the biggest Light Heavyweight in MMA, and he finally used that size in the Franklin fight to cage hump and take down, rather than standing and brawling with his pillow hands. That kind of Forrest Griffin actually stands a chance against any Light Heavyweight, but still... Shogun in shape is the LHW GOAT, and it will take a LOT to beat him. Should be a great fight regardless. Their first fight was a FOTY candidate... won't be surprised at all if this fight turns out to be the same.

Big Nog vs. Brendan Schaub is another fight I'm very much looking forward to being the Big Nog fanboy that I am. However, today at the weigh-ins Big Nog looked to be in absolute horrific shape, and I don't think there's any way he can match Schaub's speed in the kind of condition he's in. Then again, maybe it was a ploy so he can bully Schaub down to the mat and use his far superior Jiu-Jitsu to tap his ass out. Who knows? Guess we'll find out tomorrow. I just hope Big Nog can find a way to get back into the win column.

Ross Pearson vs. Edson Barboza... Pearson will stand with Barboza and get knocked the fuck out and Barboza will let the World know that he's a serious prospect at 155. Dude's a fucking beast, though he is very lucky he drew Pearson for this fight rather than Gomi, as it was previously rumored. ;)

Luiz Cane vs. Stanislav Nedkov is a showcase fight for Nedkov. It'll be very interesting to see what Nedkov can bring while in the spotlight of the big time.

And the only Prelim fight I'm really looking forward to is Rousimar Palhares vs. Dan Miller. That should be a spectacular fight on the ground.

Never been more excited for a show in my life. This mainly has to do with the fact that my favorite current fighter will wow me once again and solidify himself as the best P4P fighter right now, and further advance his case as the best fighter ever. Add that to the fact that this card is pretty stacked and i'm a happy man. It sucks however, that the fucking hurricane will start hitting me right when the main event starts. I better not lose fucking power like I do during every storm.

Anyways, the main event will feature the destruction of Yushin Okami at the hands of Anderson Silva. People like to reference the Sonnen fight as a plus to Okami. People forget that Okami is nowhere NEAR as athletic as Sonnen, nor is he as good a wrestler. People also forget that while Chael dominated Anderson, he took some huge shots throughout the five rounds. I have doubts Okami has a Sonnen type chin. He's a very slow wrestler with a good jab going up against a guy with the best head movement in MMA. It's going to be a massacre and I cannot wait.

Forrest seems un-motivated and almost depressed. It's kinda scary listening to his interviews. He isn't the same Forrest as he once was. If Shogun shows up in shape agaonst this Forrest, he will destroy him. What worries me is that Shogun had another knee surgery and is coming off one of the most one sided ass whoopings in the sports history. Should be a fantastic fight regardless.

Nog better fucking rip Schaub's arm off. That's all I have to say about that.

Only other fight i'm going to go over is Edson's. I'm exhausted and have an early morning tomorrow. As I have shown in the past, i'm a huge fan of Edson. Made a thread on him actually. He's the best striker at LW and i'm looking forward to seeing the destruction he brings upon Pearson.

This is going to be a good night!

I'm really torn on the Shogun v. Franklin fight of all of them. I like both fighters and I think it could be a really good fight. However, Rua is a beast when he wants to be and being at home might just give him that extra edge.

The Schaub and Nogueira fight should be pretty good as well. If I had to put any money on it, I'd definitely take Brendan over Minotauro though.

Unless a miracle happens, the Spider will win tonight as well. I like Okami and believe in him, but taking down the Spider at home? It's just not going to happen.

Well 9 out of 12 aint too bad, I shouldn't have gone with Fisher but I let my emotions get in the way on that one. Decent card overall, best fights were definitely Pearson vs Barboza(very close fight, Pearson should have won) and Palhares vs Miller was interesting because if Palhares hadn't stepped away he would have gotten a TKO.
Nog had the best finish by far, I loved seeing that smug douchebag Schaub falling to the canvas after some Big Nog punches :)
I knew Anderson was going to win, but I was a little disappointed with how little Okami did. He was way too cautious, same as Vitor and he got finishes because of it, and because Anderson is so much better :rolleyes:
Overall decent card, definitely can't wait for the next one.

Fantastic show on Saturday. I loved every minute of it and I cannot wait to see the UFC return to Brazil. The crowd alone made the show worth watching. Such a great atmosphere. So here is my quick run down of the show.

I hate Anderson Silva but when he shows up to fight, and not dance around for 5 rounds, he is the greatest fighter in the world and the most fun to watch. I like Okami and Anderson made him look bad. Not like it was all that surprising but Anderson's ability to drop guys who have pretty solid chins with those little jabs is amazing and a thing of beauty. Saturday reminded me of why I love Anderson the fighter, but I still feel the same about Anderson the person.

Shogun took my favorite Light Heavyweight and made him look like a bitch. I love Shogun and he looked maybe the best I have seen him yet in the UFC. Forrest was doing alright in the beginning but wasn't really blocking any of Rua's strikes, which is a recipe for disaster. Forrest needs to be more careful when he goes for his takedowns because this is now the second time someone has caught him while he was going in for a shot. I would love to see Rua vs. Evans for the next shot but that probably isn't what will happen. I think Evans has the next shot locked up.

Barboza vs. Pearson was a fun fight. Not much more I can say. I hope Barboza will get back to finishing guys soon though or else I might jump off the band wagon.

Big Nog made my night. I hate Schaub and it was great to see him get knocked out like he did. Schaub gets credit though, he threw some great punches, but Nog showed off his famous iron shin and managed to survive long enough to knock out Schaub. Now, I won't go as far as saying Nog is back to being a contender but I do believe he still has some fights left in the tank. I would love to see him face Lesnar next.

Stanislov Nedkov is now on my radar. I really liked what I saw and I hope he continues to rise up the ranks. Cane never impressed me and he continues to work his way towards the exit door in the UFC. If he doesn't get cut now, which I don't think he will, his next fight could likely be his last.

The rest of the show was solid as well. Erick Silva impressed me the most and Palhares vs. Miller was easily my favorite fight of the night. Paulo and Tavares both also looked good. Great show and I can't wait to see the UFC return to Brazil in 2012.

Finally got around to watching the event after losing power as the Edson/Pearson decision was being read. Fucking Irene costing me $60 to watch three fights. The event was historic for being the first event in Rio since Renzo got stabbed I believe. The crowd was fucking NUTS. The absolute greatest atmosphere i've seen in an MMA event since Randy beat Sylvia. Anyways, onto the fights.

Cane vs Nedkov, whatever. I fucking hate Cane so it was nice to see him look like a fucking jackass after getting hit. I highly doubt Nedkov will make it anywhere in the division, but it was entertaining to see him beat on Cane.

Barboza is killing me, man. The guy is so fucking talented on the feet and he just doesn't want to hurt people. He won't be able to eek out decisions against the top of the division and unless he gets his shit together, he could be on a slippery slope. It's sad to see such a monster lacking the aggressiveness that he needs.

Shogun vs Forrest, what can I say, Griffin is done in MMA. The guy is not into it anymore as made apparent from every interview the guy did this week. Add onto the fact that he's starting a family and I believe he will retire after his next fight. He just doesn't have the passion he needs to be a force anymore. Shogun looked good I guess, but I think the win had more to do with Forrest looking bad than Shogun looking good.

Big fucking Nog is the man. Nobody predicted he would do this against somebody like Schaub. Don't get me wrong, i'm so fucking happy it happened, but it's so damn surprising that a guy never known for KO power can light somebody like Schaub up like that. His fucking head movement was astounding for somebody like him, and he looked phenomenal. Nobody thought in a million years that this fight would go down like it did. We saw glimpses of the iron chin still somewhat in tact after Schaub tagged Nog with some big shots. Fucking amazing moment and an even better one seeing the reaction of his camp in the back.

Onto my favorite fighter, what can you say about this performance? I cannot even describe it. He makes everything look so fucking easy, it's unbelievable. Okami is absolutely no slouch and is a legit top 5 MW and Anderson just toyed with him. Anderson Silva is the best fighter MMA has ever seen. The GOAT if you will.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back