• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Towers of Terror: A Look at Video Game Towers

Sean Valjean

Lets Bitch About This Thing We Love
First and foremost, Happy Easter! If you’ve been playing video games enough, you’re probably familiar with the concept of a tower. They’re usually located towards the end of a game and are giant dungeons, consisting of many floors filled with the toughest of enemies, puzzles, death traps and other dastardly things. They are an arduous test all of the skill you’ve accumulated up to that point by throwing as many things at you as possible. Here’s just a few of the ones that stand out for me personally:

The Tower of St. Mystere - Professor Layton and the Curious Village​

St_Mystere_Tower-1.png

This game is challenging enough with its brain teasing puzzles but the biggest of these conudrums make their home here. This tower is relatively short in terms of floors and require the solution of only a single puzzle to climb to the next. However, these brainteasers are the toughest of its kind, so difficult that they would make The Riddler green(er) with envy. In what should have taken a few minutes to explore could potentially take a few hours. One puzzle in particular extended my stay here for a two weeks. For stumped players like myself who were too proud (or stubborn) to look up the solution online, we were in for the long haul but were treated to a pretty sweet reveal once we reached the top.

The Pharos - Final Fantasy XII​

Pharos.jpg

The Final Fantasy series has several towers that could’ve made this list but when I think of crazy towers, this one is the first to come to my mind. The Mt. Everest of FF dungeons, it’s by far the largest tower of all others in the series literally taking several hours to explore. Consisting of several boss fights, floors containing different puzzles and stipulations such as banning the use of Magic or Items and plenty of tough enemies. On the aforementioned ban floor, I foolishly choose to relinquish the ability to use magic. I relied predominantly on physical attacks at the time and figured my party was tough enough to take on whatever came. However, I forgot that healing and other cure spells were a part of that category. Essentially handicapped, I was forced to press on using inferior healing items to get by. Though part of the difficulty stemmed from my own idoicy, this place is no joke. The only thing that eases the pain is that you’re given a few Espers along the way for your troubles.

Pokemon Tower - Pokemon Red/Blue​

pokemontower2-1.jpg

Located in the cemetery city of Lavander Town (Who designs a cemetery city anyway? Who’d want to live in such a morbid place?), this tower isn’t particularly large or challenging. In fact, it’s quite easy actually. There are a few reasons this stands out for me: One, as a kid, it creeped the hell out of me. All the talk about dead pokemon spirits was a big contrast to the more family friendly TV show. When you first try to explore it, you encounter supposed evil spirits unlike any other pokemon. Being the Poke-whiz that I was at the time, it blew my mind that I was facing an enemy I was unfamiliar with. The other thing is that it was filled with ghost Pokemon, which were my favorite type at the time. There are many notable locations in Pokemon, but this has always been one of the most memorable. Also, I always thought the tombstones looked like a Pop-Tart coming out of a toaster. Unforgettable indeed.

Oblivion Towers - The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion​

oblivion-1.jpg

The epicenter of an Oblivion Gate, these towers were spread far and wide across the world of Cyrodiil. First off, it was a challenge to even get inside these things. Some of the towers were located on rocky terrain that required some exploration to find the right path inside. Not to mention that the entire area was teeming with demonic creatures to weaken you before you ever step foot inside the tower. The later towers couldn’t even be reached without going through a series of smaller towers surrounding it. Once you final did get inside, you had to climb several floor dodging traps and fighting more enemies in order to obtain the Sigil Stone and close that gate forever; only to discover another one mere yards away.

Elevator Rides - Almost Every Beat ‘Em Up Ever​

tmnt.png
streetsofrage-1.jpg
finalfight-1.png

Going a bit outside of the box with this one. If you’ve ever played games like Final Fight, TMNT or the X-Men arcade game, you know what I’m talking about. While not a tower in the traditional sense, I included it because it has features of one: multiple levels that put your skills to the test. At some point, usually towards the end of these games, you’re forced to take an elevator ride to reach a summit roughly 3 miles north of the moon. But instead of relaxing to boring elevator music, you’re treated to an ever-increasing downpour of enemies and sometimes even sub-bosses. Wave after wave, they grow in number and difficulty. These were vertical gauntlets designed to eat your quarters and your patience as you wondered how they could possibly expect you to battle so many adversaries in such a tight space. Reaching the final boss at the top was more of a relief than intimidating.

Any towers that stand out for you?

Fantastic thread here, shame it's been overlooked by Nintendo announcing a new console and the PSN outage.

Some good choice for towers but you've missed three of my favourite towers out there, I'll be very surprised if you've played either game.

Shining force II: Ancient Sealing

Ship_leaves_granseal.gif

One of two Megadrive/Genesis games out of my three the Ancient Tower (where do they get these names from :p) is the focal point of Granseal. Underneath it turns out it was used as a Ground Seal to keep devils at bay, the devils escape and shenanigans ensue leading to one of the best games ever made as well as a few epic battles in said tower.

Crusader of Centy/ Soleil

504824-tower_of_babel_entrance_super.jpg

If you called it Megadrive you called the game Soleil if you had a Genesis it was Crusader of Centy. This is the LTPP of the Megadrive, fantastic game. One of the main towers is that of the tower of Babel of course it's based on the Bible tower of the same name and it is pretty important to the plot of the game.

A Shadow's tale/ Lost in Shadow

Lost-in-Shadow.jpg

The plot as taken from the instruction book is simple “The hero of our story is the shadow of a young boy, torn from his body and cast to the ground. With no memory of what happened, the shadow believes that climbing the tower’s shadows will reunite him with his body.” Great game and I've reviewed it on here and in my blog.

How about the devil May Cry 3 tower? I couldn't find a suitable picture, but it sure as hell is an epic tower. That shit just pops up right in front of Dante's house, and just looks terribly badass. Considering the difficulty of the second mission in the game, you know this tower is no joke. Just getting to the tower is an entire mission, and the entire feeling of walking up to the giant monstrosity of a tower is just surreal. You really feel like you are walking into hell. As soon as you enter, you are greeted by a giant Ice Cerberus. While the fight itself is absolutely awesome and the weapon you get for beating the boss is my favorite weapon in the game, that boss is mother fucking difficult. You have to solve many puzzles, and defeat many tough enemies to progress up the tower, and finally after quite a few bosses and puzzles, you reach the top and come face to face with your brother. Such an awesome feeling, and setting for the beginning of that game.

I like the thread concept, SV! Towers are certainly an odd video game fixture for one reason or another.

The tower I chose to look at was the Venus Lighthouse in Golden Sun.

The entrance into Venus Lighthouse

venuslighthouseoutside.png

The top of Venus Lighthouse

SaturosinVenusLighthouse2.png

So it's been a while since I've played Golden Sun, years really, but the story is you're chasing after a group of nogoodnicks who are attempting to light the beacons of the four elemental lighthouses (Mercury, Venus, Jupiter, and Mars). These evildoers, lead by Saturos and Menardi, has already succeeded in lighting the beacon at the Mercury Lighthouse, but you manage to catch up to them at the Venus Lighthouse, and it is on top of the Venus Lighthouse that they make their last stand against your team of Isaac, Garrett, Ivan, and Mia.

The tower itself has every aspect that makes us love and hate video game towers. It has some complex puzzles, deceptively strong enemies, mini-bosses, special objects and weapons for 11th hour equipping, and of course, tons of secret rooms.

The greatest thing about this tower is that, even without knowing that you only get to play two lighthouses in this game and that the other two are in another game altogether, you know that this game climaxes at the top of this lighthouse. The whole lighthouse and the events that surround your entrance into the lighthouse.

And to top all of that off, the boss battle(s) that take place on the top of the light house are epic as fuck. I'm proud to say I beat the game cleanly without any help from the internets when I was in high school. It's a complex game, but I nailed it.

Towers hold a place of importance in video games, especially in the RPG and Adventure genres. They are often the location of a climactic battle taking place after a huge storyline spoiler is revealed, or after rescuing a damsel in distress. The video game towers often have several floors filled with avoidable traps and monsters for you to kill. Dragon Quest found a great trap to put in their towers that nearly every game in the series has used. That trap is tricking you into jumping out of the tower onto the world map when you think that a jump will merely take you down one floor, causing you to have to do the whole tower again.

Some towers that stand out for me are Kefka's Tower or the Fanatics Tower, both from Final Fantasy 6. They stand out for different reasons. Kefka's Tower had you control 3 separate parties to get through the puzzles and boss fights, and it was an epic final level for its time. The Fanatics Tower had you going up the stairs again and again for what seemed like an endless amount of floors while fighting battles where you were restricted to spellcasting abilities only. At the top floor was a tough boss fight that if you lost you had to do the entire tower over again, and if you won you still had to make your way back down the tower again to the bottom fighting through all of the enemies using only spells once more.

Then there's the Tower of Salvation from Tales of Symphonia. It's one of my favorite levels in all of gaming. It had it all. Great music, complex puzzles, epic boss fights took place there, storyline spoilers were revealed there, a damsel in distress had to be rescued, you returned there multiple times with each trip serving a different purpose, and finally it had a phenominal backstory explaining its purpose in the world.

A childhood favorite remains to be The Tower of Zot from Final Fantasy 4 because at the time it was a very intimidating event where you had to climb up to the top floor past really tough monsters, insanely difficult bosses, and then one of the most epic scenes of all gaming takes place.... Click the spoiler tag to see it.

[YOUTUBE]ZnV49Hzw5C4&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back