"Tough Enough" return confirmed!

WJDwjdWJDwjd

Getting Noticed By Management
WWE.com has posted a press release officially announcing the return of Tough Enough. Below is an excerpt from the press release which you can read if you CLICK HERE.

"LOS ANGELES – USA Network has given a 10-episode order to “WWE Tough Enough,” a non-scripted series in collaboration with World Wrestling Entertainment, Inc. and Shed Media US. “WWE Tough Enough,” slated to debut April 4, 2011, will feature a group of 12 individuals looking for a once-in-a-lifetime shot to become the next WWE Superstar or Diva. The grand prize winner will be awarded a contract with WWE, joining its roster of talent.

“WWE Tough Enough” will premiere at 11/10 p.m. CT the day after WrestleMania XXVII and immediately following USA’s ratings juggernaut Monday Night Raw. It will then move to its regularly scheduled slot, Mondays at 8/7 p.m. CT, starting on April 11th.

The diverse group of men and women will live and train together in a house in Los Angeles. To see who has what it takes to be the next WWE Superstar or Diva, the contestants will battle it out each week in a series of unique challenges designed to test for such characteristics as showmanship, creativity, athleticism and desire, just to name a few.

Each episode will feature a current WWE Superstar, who will introduce the contenders to a quality that they must possess to make it to the top of the sports-entertainment world. Along the way, viewers will witness the trials and tribulations of what it takes to be one of the best in the world’s greatest sports-entertainment organization. Each episode will conclude with the elimination of one of the hopefuls who is left outside of the ring, while those that remain will move one step closer to their dream. In the final episode, the remaining contestants will battle it out for the grand prize."

Just confirmed on the main website here that indeed, "Tough Enough" is confirmed to be back on the air in April. I believe many of us remember the series but not the very forgettable actual winners of the series in the past. The competition's only memorable winners are John Hennigan (aka John Morrison) and (partially memorable) Jackie Gayda (who is married to Charlie Haas). The other names that the show arguably launched would be Matt Morgan (now in TNA), Mike "The Miz" Mizanin (our current WWE Champion), Kenny Layne (who wrestles in ROH), Christopher Nowinski, who could have had a great career if it weren't for suffering a severe concussion, John Lomberger (who is now Josh Matthews, announcer), Ryan Reeves (YUP, YUP, YUP aka Skip Sheffield), Nick Mitchell (former Spirit Squad member), Melina Perez (yes, that Melina) was on TE3 but didn't make the final cut as was Shaun Davari. Shad Gaspard (of Cryme Tyme) was a contestant in TE2 but failed a drug text and was replaced in the final 13. Also, Shelly Martinez (Ariel/Salinas) and Kia Stevens (Awesome Kong) were in the casting show for TE2. Even more surprising is that current Raw ring announcer, Justin Roberts sent in a tape to TE1 and Jessica Kresa (aka TNA's O.D.B) made the final 25 in TE1.

The rest of the winners would fade into obscurity of never really amounting to anything. The biggest thing Maven Huffman (TE1 co-winner) did was eliminate the Undertaker at the Royal Rumble one year. Nidia Guenard (TE1 co-winner) managed and had an on screen relationship with Jamie Noble. Linda Miles (TE2 co-winner with Jackie Gayda) managed The Basham Brothers under the name "Shaniqua"). Matt Cappotelli (TE3 co-winner alongside John Hennigan) who was diagnosed with Brain Cancer shortly after starting his developmental contract. Daniel Puder (1 Million Dollar TE winner) went into MMA after being released.

As you can see, this program was a catalyst for so many people's respective careers in professional wrestling. Many write it off as a failed television program, but in reality, the only thing that WWE really failed on was who they selected as winners. With all that history and knowledge dropped on you guys, what do you remember from the original "Tough Enough" seasons (1-4)? How do you feel about the return? Also, what contestant did you feel had the brightest future but is now (at least known) not having a career in wrestling? What do you expect from the show this time around? Who do you feel would make great trainers for the show?

With Reality Series being as popular is today and seeing how big The Ultimate Fighter is, this is a good move by WWE. Even if they don't get another John Morrison or find a legend, this will bring more people in. People have shown that they will watch anything no matter how shitty it is (see Bridalplasty) as long as it's labeled Reality T.V. and is a competition.

I loved the first two seasons when they were on MTV and was disappointed that Maven did make any thing of himself because the show made me a fan of him. And that's one thing this show will give you, a wrestler will have a following before even stepping in a WWE ring. Not just an internet following (i.e. Daniel Bryan) but a following from within the WWE audience. Look at how popular Forrest Griffin and many TUF contestants are because fans get to see who they really are and can say they've watched them from the start of their career.

I know NXT is a failure but that was destined to fail after the first or second season. I hope they don't just throw guys from FCW in the show and actually look for people with little to no experience in wrestling and build them in front of our eyes like they did with John Morrison and to some extent Maven. I'm excited about this.

My personal favorite was Nowinski. It's sad that he had the concussions as I believe he would have been a main event caliber wrestler for a decade or more. He had strengths in every facet that makes up a main event level guy and over time that would only have increased. It is heartening to see him make a real life impact after his professional wrestling career.

I'm looking forward to this. It really could be what we had hoped NXT would be but wasn't. Two big thumbs up to the WWE and USA for bringing Tough Enough back!

Yeah, I actually did enjoy Nowinski, the whole Harvard graduate gimmick drew nice heat. I thought he had good promo skills too, and his in ring work wasn't the best by any means, but any talent like that could improve.

I also liked Maven too for some reason, I guess growing up as a kid I liked him as the "underdog". Him eliminating Undertaker at the Royal Rumble was great, and that moment made me a fan of his. I was surprised to see him last about 3-4 years.

And Morrison i'm also a fan of. So anyone that Tough Enough has produced I have liked to some extent, except for guys like Boogeyman, and other forgetable stints (Like Nidia)

Its a pretty bold move by WWE,seeing NXT's failure.However if they keep the show's original theme and not put FCW wrestlers in there,they'll get some attention,maybe some non-wrestling fans may watch it too since its reality TV.Also I hope they keep it unscripted to some extent,that will make for some exciting TV. As for memories of Tough Enough,I have a special one.I followed TE4 thoroughly,I liked one guy in particular his name was Daniel Rodimer(I guess).Anyways during the finale,Mike Mizanin and Daniel Puder were the last 2 contestants.Personally,I wanted Puder to win because he came off as more of a wrestler to me.When the winner was announced,Puder was jumping up and down and then I saw Mike,his hands were stretched backwards clutching the ropes and with tears in his eyes.Maybe that was the moment that spurred him on.*sigh*

the show was great originally & nxt failed to live up to expectations of the original series. wwe needs to take the show in the direction that made it a hit. keep fcw talent out of it.

there are tons of talented guys that can get thier foot in the door, just need help with the mic skill\look. some people on ninja warrior ive seen would fit in perfect.

wwe needs to do away with nxt & just merge superstars w\ a few matches from fcw shows. it still gives the mid\lower card guys on air time & features the fcw talent at the same time. it would kill 2 birds with one stone & still give tough enough a fan base without being banished to just an internet broadcast like nxt.

I guess I should probably answer my own questions.

With all that history and knowledge dropped on you guys, what do you remember from the original "Tough Enough" seasons (1-4)?

The most memorable thing I remember was watching Jackie and Linda win and Jake being left out. I was CONVINCED Jake was going to win. I was left in shock. The man was an absolute beast. If I'm not mistaken, he was a fire fighter at the time and the guy was build like a truck. Also, Taz's many confrontations when he was a trainer.

How do you feel about the return?

I feel with the obvious failure in ratings NXT had, this is definitely a step in the right direction for WWE. This show really shows true passion rather than scripted television acting by previously trained performers. With the crop of talent this show has opened the door for and the youth movement going on currently in WWE, I believe this show will better fit the objective of finding future, actually interested potential talent rather than transformed body builders and former models and Playboy Playmates.

Also, what contestant did you feel had the brightest future but is now (at least known) not having a career in wrestling?

I touched on this earlier, but I though Jake had a future in the industry. After TE2, I was sure he would be in wrestling to some capacity, but he just kind of dropped off the face of the earth.

What do you expect from the show this time around?

I would really like to see it return to the format it first started out with. The casting show, the panel of talent people and trainers, challenges, life in the house, training, eliminations and the biggest televised finale. With only 10 episodes, probably only 8 people will make it, so it will be a bit like the first two NXT seasons.

Who do you feel would make great trainers for the show?

Easily, I'd first choose Dean Malenko, Billy Kidman, Fit Finlay and I'd bring back Jillian Hall because she was a trainer in FCW for a bit after not being on air. Other choices would be Arn Anderson and William Regal.

This should work, if they concentrate on it being a show that points toward a single goal -finding somebody that can fit in well as a wrestler. However, I have this gut feeling they're also going to use it as a replacement for the old "WWE Diva Search" in order to find more backstage personalities.

What I want to know is, will TE be subject to the WWE "PG" policy? I hope whoever scheduled this remembers that anybody in the west that has USA's east coast HD signal (and this includes everybody with AT&T U-Verse) can watch the show starting at 8:05 Pacific.

-- Don

I'm hoping that the show will be very much along the lines of its original format. The fact that the WWE has brought in people to produce the show that have a great deal of success in the reality show genre makes me feel a whole lot better about the overall potential of the show. I think that the WWE may have learned some things from the concept of NXT and have figured out that they're simply not very good at blurring the lines between reality and fiction in the same context as was needed to really have NXT grab hold with both hands.

Having the debut episode air after the first post WM 27 Raw should give the debut a hefty audience that I don't think it'll have trouble retaining once it moves to the 8 pm timeslot before Raw on Mondays. For the various 3 hour Raws last year, the first hour typically did in the mid to upper 2s so, if the WWE & USA really push this show hard then I think it'll have a real shot.

I was always a HUGE Tough Enough fan (actually have all 4 seasons taped from their original airings still) I felt at the time, and still do to some extent that Josh should've won season 1 as it was clear his passion and love of wrestling as a lifelong fan far outweighed all the other contestants, however he also probably would've been buried and fired as an undersized talent, so maybe things worked out for the best with him.

Season 2, WWE BIG TIME DROPPED THE BALL. Had Jake and Kenny won that season, instead of Linda and Jackie, I feel really confident one or both of them would be a big star in WWE to this day. Jake, had all the tools to be on the level of someone like Batista and had age in his favor. Kenny at this point, I feel has more than proven he wanted it, as he is still wrestling in RoH.

Season 3, Looking back it's really hard to say what should've happened. Without question John (Morrison) was the the correct choice for one of them, I do feel if Matt had every gotten a chance he may have excelled but, I suppose we'll never know in that case.

Season 4...SUCKED. Which is kind of amazing given that as a result of it, WWE found the Boogeyman, Skip Sheffield, members of the Spirit Squad, and of course the Miz. Not to mention Justice going on to the show American Gladiators, and Puder in MMA. TE4 made use of really stupid challenge contests, and was only featured in little segments throughout Raw and SD which made it feel a lot less important, and made you feel less involved in the guys as a fan, because you didn't get to know anything about them other than the wrestling segments, whereas on previous TE seasons you saw them living together, and training at the WWE gym.

Anyway, my hope for TE5 is that they once again split the house with girls and guys, just to give it a more interesting dynamic. I hope they don't try and make it overly dramatic but really just focus on the training and getting to know the contestants.

The biggest problem this show always had though (and it's going to continue to have) is that you are essentially taking someone with NO prior experience and training them to be a wrestler over the course of a couple of months. The problem though is that that is simply not enough time. So what of course happens, is they then have to get sent to FCW (or previously OVW) for additional training, and by the time they make their way back to WWE TV they have already lost their momentum. This is where NXT is able to improve upon the formula because the second the show is over the winner is ready to go on the main roster. Either way though, I'm super excited about the return of this show. I would really like to see them work an angle where a former winner (Maven would be most appropriate) comes back and attacks the winner at some point to help put them over in their first feud.

Personally, I've never seen Tough Enough. So for me, this would be a fresh program and something new. I might be wrong but it sounds eerily similar to NXT. Given NXT's failure to live up to my expectations, I hope that's not the case with Tough Enough. The fact that it's not scripted also gives the show an added interest that NXT lacked for me. Gotta say I'm looking forward to the show. People have said generally good things aboutthe show in the past so I'll take their word for it.

I guess NXT is leaving. Ah, well. While it's great that Tough Enough is coming back, I have a bit of an issue with the time slot. Mondays at 8pm. My first question to spring to mind is the 3 hour Raw's that come oftenly. Going from 9 to 12 is pretty hard just to avoid casting off Tough Enough on those nights. Which brings me to my second question. Airing right before Raw? That's a pretty bold move. Especially given TNA's recent failure with Reaction. I for one wouldn't be able to sit through 3 straight hours of WWE each and every week.

I was a big fan of Tough Enough and am excited for it's return especially if they stick with what it's original format was. The biggest issue with people seems to be the time slot but I don't mind it at all. They said the season was only going to be 10 episodes so it shouldn't interfere with any 3 hour RAWs, plus I'd be willing to guess if they were to have a 3 hour RAW during the season they would just take a week off from the Tough Enough show rather then have 4 straight hours of programming.

I also don't mind the fact that it's 3 hours of WWE programming in a row because Tough Enough is just as much a reality show as it is a wrestling show. Obviously it's related to the WWE and the wrestling aspect is there but it isn't like watching 3 hours straight of just a wrestling show every week. Overall I'm excited for the return.

So we all know tough enough is back and im excited to see it back on tv and I hope it will last for more then a few seasons.
anyway I dont know if I should have added this to tough enough thread or make its own thread for who is going to be the trainer but if it needs moved please feel free to do so.

But who do you think will be or who should be the trainer for tough enough.

Im going to put my vote in for hbk.

Rumor has it that he has signed some kind of deal with the wwe but i dont know if it has been discussed what its about.
Could be a deal for tough enough?

But this guy has been known to train other wrestlers in the past and I think that he would be a great guy to train these dreamers to become the next wwe star.

I'm sure he would love to get back in the ring in some way and this would be perfect for him.

What do you think? Do you agree or disagree? Who do you think should be the trainer? Is al snow able to come back for it?

There isn't going to be just one trainer. Anyone who watched Tough Enough during it's initial run knows that there were 3-4 trainers per season. The most likely trainers are ones from FCW, some of the WWE road agents, and possibly some veteran members of the main roster.

The current FCW trainers include Tom Keirn, Ricky Steamboat, Tom Prichard, Joey Mercury, and Norman Smiley. Any of them could be possibilities for trainers on the show. As far as veteran members of the roster go you have names like William Regal, Goldust, Gail Kim for the females, and Chavo Guerrero who was actually one of the trainers on season 3 of Tough Enough. Some of the WWE road agents/trainers that could do it are Arn Anderson, Dean Malenko, Billy Kidman, Finlay, Jamie Noble, Steve Lombardi, and Val Venis.

If I had to choose 4 I'd go with Finlay, Jamie Noble, William Regal, and Gail Kim. I doubt there will be any big names like HBK as a trainer.

I could see Bret being involved as a trainer in some way. Maybe not every week, but I think his expertise should definitely be utilised on a couple of occasions as a guest trainer or something like that, same with HBK. I dont think he will be a full time trainer, but it would be great for the trainees if either of these 2 legends make an appearance on the show.

Finlay and Regal would be good choices as they have a wealth of international experience and are skilled in both the European and American styles of wrestling, and also guys like Jamie Noble who are currently working in FCW could be offered a spot as trainers on the show. I am very interested to see who ends up on Tough Enough this year.

I dunno, I think Fuel might be on to something. I agree that there will be more than one trainer, but I think HBK could quite possibly be one of them. Until we know exactly what his new deal with the WWE is about, HBK for Tough Enough cannot be completely discounted, I don't think. On some level, it makes sense. HBK is certainly a well respected technician in the ring. It isn't like the Big Show trying to train people. That is a plus for HBK. He also has experience in a training environment, he knows how to be a teacher. That is another plus for HBK doing it. Tough Enough will most likely be filmed at one location, so HBK doesn't have the grind of touring with the WWE anymore. Another plus. He is a major name that will draw interest to the show based on his name alone. Another plus. There are a lot of reasons why HBK to Tough Enough seems to make sense. I am not saying that he is definitely doing it, but I don't think we can rule it out either. This seems to be something that is up his alley. He can still work for the WWE and not have to wrestle anymore.

I would also absolutely love it if one of the other trainers was Ricky Steamboat. In my mind, there isn't a single wrestler alive today that I would rather learn the art of professional wrestling from. Not Bret Hart, not Kurt Angle, not anybody. Ricky Steamboat would be an ideal teacher.

I would also absolutely love it if one of the other trainers was Ricky Steamboat. In my mind, there isn't a single wrestler alive today that I would rather learn the art of professional wrestling from. Not Bret Hart, not Kurt Angle, not anybody. Ricky Steamboat would be an ideal teacher.

Interesting shout on Steamboat. As he is involved in FCW at the moment this could actually be a possibility. There are very few people that young wrestlers could learn more from than The Dragon.

Imagine Steamboat, Michaels and Bret Hart as the 3 trainers...these Tough Enough kids would come out as the best wrestlers in the world! haha!

Lets take a look:
WWE will have a different trainer each week.

So in order for Tough Enough to be successful, they need a big name once in a while.
Lets say they bring in a legend like HBK for one show.

The other trainers can be the guys down from FCW, or the Road Agents like someone mentioned previously: Billy Kidman, Val Venis, Finlay, and Regal.

They need to teach them different styles of wrestling, as Billy will teach them flexibility and high flying.

Finlay will teach them brawling, etc.

Regal will teach them grappling & such. (Technical stuff)

HBK will teach them about personality & mic work etc.

this could be a great success in my eyes.

If it's going to be like the original tough enough then it won't be someone who's currently on WWE programming. My pick would be either Finlay or William Regal. They're both veterans who know everything there is to know about wrestling. They'll probably have guest wrestlers come in for certain episodes to teach certain things..if they do it like the original then it'll probably be really good.

Season 2, WWE BIG TIME DROPPED THE BALL. Had Jake and Kenny won that season, instead of Linda and Jackie, I feel really confident one or both of them would be a big star in WWE to this day.
Pretty much everybody I know who watched S2 said at the time that Linda and Jackie were the only two who were ready to "step right into the WWE" (or was it still WWF at the time?), which is pretty much what they wanted.
The biggest problem this show always had though (and it's going to continue to have) is that you are essentially taking someone with NO prior experience and training them to be a wrestler over the course of a couple of months. The problem though is that that is simply not enough time. So what of course happens, is they then have to get sent to FCW (or previously OVW) for additional training, and by the time they make their way back to WWE TV they have already lost their momentum.
The problem is, they promise the winner "a WWE contract", and somebody is under the impression that this means they have to show them in matches on RAW or SD right away or the fans will wonder what happened. Remember, as far as the marks are concerned, FCW doesn't exist, any more than OVW did (two words: Nick Dinsmore).

-- Don

I really think Tough Enough is gonna take off like a rocket this time around with all the press it's picked up the second it was announced. I had people coming up to me at work today that don't watch wrestling and ask me when it's coming out cuz they can't wait to see it. But if they're wanting to use fresh of the street guys and gals,where's that leave NXT? They're two completely different shows but with the same concept but I think NXT has it's own charm and flair to it and should stick around for at least 1 or 2 more seasons

Tough enough coming back for another season is a great move for the WWE. This will be great to really keep the WWE youth movement rolling. We get to actually see these guys fighting for a WWE contract and fans will be able to get behind there favorite contestants. While contestants are already going to have fans from watching the show , it benefits a lot because now superstars won't just be thrown into the fray and rejected like garbage. Tough enough will definitely garner a good, young, green superstar who can developed like how John Morrison was

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back