• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

TNA's PPV's Are Pretty Mal-Placed

ABMorales787

Lord And Master
Staff member
Administrator
January - Genesis - B-PPV
February - Against All Odds - B-PPV
March - Victory Road - B-PPV
April - Lockdown - 2nd biggest show
May - Sacrifice - B-PPV
June - Slammiversary - 3rd biggest show
July - Destination X - X Division Showcase
August - Hardcore Justice - B-PPV/Hardcore theme
September - No Surrender - B-PPV/BFG Series Finals
October - Bound For Glory- Top PPV
November - Turning Point - B-PPV
December - Final Resolution - B-PPV

Your TNA PPV calendar since 2011 with one simple tweak. It's gone on practically unchanged since TNA started using monthly PPV's in 2005. When you look at it, it's very unbalanced. You can basically see it reflected in the program at times. Following Bound For Glory there's a string of B-PPV's all the way until Lockdown. Thats 5 of these shows and for years we've seen TNA lower it's efforts for these shows to focus on angles for the bigger ones. With this jarring gap, you go 5 months with a small angle. Don't believe me? In 2011 during this period, we were treated to AJ/Roode and Hardy/Roode prior to the beginning of the Roode/Storm angle that culminated at Lockdown. AJ and Hardy were made to look as simple place-holder just to sell these smaller shows. The same trend came the year before with Matt Morgan. The difference being that Jeff Hardy escalating issues shortened to time-table.

Looking into the post-Lockdown side, you see that TNA's 2 biggest shows besides BFG are literally one PPV away from each other. That puts a few issues down if you ask me. Not just on were angles will culminate and such but that's certainly a main one. But adding to the issue of big shows next each other, now comes Destination X which has been treated as a special attraction top show for the 2nd year. How it's not exhausting to have these big shows close to each other is beyond me, especially when the BFG Series starts right after Slammiversary to add more big angles in one 7 month period while the other 5 tend to be slow. Maybe it's just a quirk of mine, but it's not the first time I find myself staring at the mirror and arguing about it with the troll on the other side. As for solutions for this imaginary issue of mine? I don't see much. Move Destination X to January sounds like something positive. Gives us something better to look forward to from TNA than Genesis. Plus the X Division Champion and potential World title challenger comes off 3 months from BFG. A great showing there can give some good momentum the guy.

I'm blowing this quirk out of proportion, aren't I?

TNA/IW will be shifting towards less PPV's in the near future, as soon as their current contract with inDemand expires. I'd expect a pretty major overhaul of events when that happens.

Good topic. I have noticed this about TNA for a couple of years now.

I have always wondered why they did not have something bigger leading into Bound For Glory in particular.

I mean, the Royal Rumble is CLEARLY the No. 3 (if not No. 2) event on the WWE stage and it leads directly into WrestleMania, single-handedly elevates the February PPV (whatever name they give it) and sets the stage for the biggest show of the year.

I really wish that TNA would have Slammiversary move and lead into BFG somehow. Maybe two months before or whatever. I think it would be a huge move and really elevate both PPVs. I mean, obviously, TNA does not have as many top flight PPVs really as WWE because they are a younger company with considerably less resources to throw around, but by putting Slammiversary and BFG closer together they could really piggy-back off each other and maybe make whatever is in between the two better as well.

I hope we see some reshuffling of the deck when their PPV deal changes.

For me, TNA'S TV is stays very similar throughout the year in terms of quality. Not terrible but not spectacular.

The PPV'S are very hit and miss. Every so often they put on a classic and than they put on three hours of crap. Thank god i live in the UK where all of them are free.

The highlight is Lockdown. I perceive Lockdown to be the best PPV of the year and the feuds around it get better.

I have said for a long time that Pro Wrestling needs less Pay Per Views, shifting from the monthly format would be great. Right now TNA is in transition with Pritchard being the head of all things wrestling, Bischoff being the head of all things production/Spike, and so on and so forth. TNA also just got another month of Live Programming from Spike which is excellent.

Still however as other posters have said, the product is consistently good, nothing spectacular, and the PPV's are hit and miss. If TNA kept between 6 and 8 Pay Per Views and shelved the Genesis and Final Resolution's of the world then I believe it would help the show while allowing TNA the finances (Sans PPV Production value) to do other things like go on the road more, maybe after a year or two lease the Hammerstein Ballroom or some other venue so they could charge for attendance. Many possibilities.

The best solution would be to move Destination X as it has now clearly become the 4th biggest show. Bound For Glory, Lockdown, and Slammiversary should all keep their spots. The ideal place to put Destination X would be in January or December to split up the string of less important shows, but neither Final Resolution or Genesis would make as much sense in different spots. Final Resolution is the end of the year so it is the end of many feuds too, while Genesis as the name implies starts things off new again. I don't see either moving for that simple reason.

They could swap Hardcore Justice and Destination X, although the long string of lesser PPV events would still be there. What if they swap Against All Odds and Destination X? I recall that Destination X used to be in the spring anyhow and Against All Odds could go on at any time of the year without making much of a difference. Then you'd have a schedule for the PPV's with less time in between TNA's counterpart of The Big Four and also don't have the #3 and #4 shows right next to each other. That is a small, simple change, that would make the PPV list look more balanced. Here's how the new lineup would look:

January - Genesis
February - Destination X - #4
March - Victory Road
April - Lockdown - #2
May - Sacrifice
June - Slammiversary - #3
July - Against All Odds
August - Hardcore Justice
September - No Surrender
October - Bound For Glory- #1
November - Turning Point
December - Final Resolution

I really think they should get rid of against all odds, genesis, final resolution and maybe sacrifice.

This is how it should go:

Jan: N/A
Feb: N/A
Mar: Victory Road (it's the road to Lockdown and they come to UK during the build up
April: Lockdown
May: Sacrifice
June: Slammiversary
July: Destination X (for the X division)
Aug: Hardcore Justice (matches for BFG series and we get to see more matches
Sept: No Surrender
Oct: BFG
Nov: N/A
Dec:Turning Point

Why this?
Genesis is to say whats coming up for the year, Final Resolution kind of ends the year and against all odds has no story behind it. Instead of having the Genesis and Final Resolution procedure; they could just end the year with Turning Point. This could do what Genesis And FR do all in the same PPV. So end the year with the bash and pave the way for the new year. Turning Point itself represents the Aftermath of BFG, hence it's called Turning Point.
Why make it December? So it can do what I just said and so it lets BFG have a bigger fall out.

Also, there is no problem with LD and Slammiversary 2 months apart. LD has the Victory Road build up and Sacrifice serves as the "bridge" between the 2. To make it better, they should bring back the Ultimate Sacrifice Match. There may be a 2 month break between Turning Point and VR but I think that's OK so there is a bigger build up including their annual UK taping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back