• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

TNA Dropping PPV's From 2013 Calendar

I like that TNA is dropping two of their PPV events. It's not like No Surrender or Against All Odds had anything that truly set them apart from the other PPV brands. I think they will end up having the winner of the Bound For Glory series announced a month earlier now at Hardcore Justice to not only raise the importance of that particular PPV brand, but also to give the main event feud of Bound For Glory more time to develop. Removing Against All Odds might help Genesis a little as well. If it is the only show before Lockdown on the calendar then it will make it appeal more to fans. It can be used as a time to begin new feuds, which would be a nice take on the name's meaning. The more intense feuds can carry into Lockdown for a steel cage match that they deserve. I'd consider using it as a time to debut bigger names who have joined the federation as well, that PPV should be about new beginnings given its name.

I'd even suggest they move Sacrifice to November and get rid of Turning Point. Turning Point is just another generic brand that does nothing to stand out, whereas Sacrifice could gain more attention if the Sacrifice stipulation where people other than the champions had to put something up for grabs in a match were to return. This would be the perfect time to work a match such as the one where AJ Styles lost the opportunity to challenge for the World Championship until Bound For Glory, he sacrificed that opportunity. This opens up more time for Slammiversary, the third big show on TNA's calendar. Now if only they could make the rest of the lesser PPV brand's more unique as well. They could always bring back Feast or Fired and King of the Mountain and make each of those unique to respective shows or something. Glad to see TNA taking this risk and I hope it goes well for them.

I agree. I like that TNA is getting rid of some of their PPVs because I think they had too many. I don't think No Surrender and Against All Odds were good PPVs and if they get rid of them they will be able to spend more time of good PPVs.

Overall I like what TNA is doing getting rid of PPVs because it gives them more time to develop feuds. I think it is a good idea and I like what they are doing. They are doing a good job and I agree with their decision.

There is little to no cost associated with putting on PPV's like these two being cancelled, because neither is done on the road. They are almost exclusively done at the IMPACT Zone, which is a cost-free "expense" for TNA. I can't cite for you the exactitudes of what they pay out, or why, but I know for certain that they cannot charge a gate because the studio is located within the grounds of Universal Studios. It'd be open to all park goers.

I don't doubt TNA is "making money" off even their shittiest PPV's — what I doubt is that they are particularly impressed with how much, and that they are going to use this 10 PPV format as a bit of an experiment to see what longer build times can do to increase fan interest and ticket sales as a correlation going into their two biggest PPV's of the year. If they can double or triple their buy rates as a result, or see a substantial return on gate draw, I wouldn't be shocked to see them drop the number of PPV's they do a year to 8, or even as low as 6, as a means to adapt the same long build formula for each, with the hope that the longer builds in turn create more buys on less PPVs. Classic addition by subtraction example.

Exactly. It's nothing more than an experiment that will either pay off or not. We'll see if it did in 2014. If it does then TNA might dig into it some more and find a corrolation between build and buyrate which they can further take advantage of which would ultimately lead to a successful business model which will inevitably be ripped off by Vince McMahon.

The next 5 years in a nutshell.

In the news section of WrestleZone today I read an article on where Bully Ray commented on TNA dropping a few Pay Per Views from the schedule. Here's his comments...

Love it. I think it's an awesome idea. I think the wrestling world is entirely saturated with pay per views. I remember growing up as a kid and only getting those four to six pay per views a year which had that big time feel. Now every time you turn around there is a pay per view every month. I would love to see TNA go the route of doing something like the NWA did back in the day and put on almost like a free pay per view on Spike TV one Sunday. I don't make those business decisions, but I think it would be great for luring new fans to our product. I'm very, very confident that once wrestling fans who have never seen TNA, if they would just get to see it once or twice, I think they would be hooked.

I remember when I was growing up that the NWA/WCW ran the Clash of the Champions. The Clash had ppv quality matches that helped build up to the next big ppv. It also served as a ppv quality show handling the fallout of a big ppv. They drew some higher rated episodes on TBS too.

Whether it's TNA or WWE I totally agree that they need to do away with the amount of yearly pay per views. I'd personally like to see TNA take Bully Ray's theory and start a similar format to the Clash of the Champions. This could also really help set TNA apart from the WWE and it would give the fans a PPV quality show for free
What's your take on this subject?

I think it’s a great idea. My spin on it would be two parts.

Part 1 – Cut the PPVs down to 6 per year.

Feb – Victory Road (TNA’s 1st PPV)
Apr – Lockdown (TNA’s Survivor Series)
Jun – Slammiversary (TNA’s SummerSlam)
Aug – Destination X (TNA’s Royal Rumble…maybe more like Money In The Bank, but whatever)
Oct – Bound for Glory (TNA’s WrestleMania)
Dec – Unbreakable (I couldn’t decide which of the other 7 PPVs I’d keep, so I decided to go with the one they didn’t keep)

Part 2 – Insert Pay Per View like television specials in-between Pay Per View months.

Jan –
Mar –
May –
Jul –
Sep –
Nov –

They could even go with using the names of their “B” PPVs. Having their version of Saturday Night’s Main Event / Clash Of Champions, would be a great way to bridge the fall out of the last PPV, build the hype for the next PPV, and give the fans what they really want, more free Wrestling. I would even go as far as having Gut Check, Open Fight Night, and Championship Thursday all combined on these bi-monthly speicals and keep them off the weekly Impact episodes.

I am for it. Between the online streams and the low buy rates for the PPV's it feels like a good move. GSB mentioned revenue. Dropping down to 8 PPV's a year can create more profit if the story telling can make you buy the up coming PPV. If you gain more profit from 8 PPV's than if you had 12 PPV's, you're basically making revenue. Profit is greater than Revenue all day.

Hopefully this can mean that they at least do the PPV's outside the Impact Zone. I am hoping this move works for TNA in the long run. I am for the idea and it can definitely be a positive step in the right direction. Let's just see how it goes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back