TNA World Champion Sting: Who plays the foil?

Sting: Who plays the foil?

• AJ Styles

• Rob Van Dam

• Mr. Anderson

• Jeff Hardy

• Kurt Angle

• LSN's choices suck so Im going with "other"!

Results are only viewable after voting.

LSN80

King Of The Ring
So on 3/3/11, Sting made his return to TNA after almost a five month absence and defeated TNA World Champion Jeff Hardy in virtually a squash match. Sting was the surprise opponent that had been plugged all evening, leaving Hardy unable to prepare. Bischoff and Hogan tried to turn the table on Sting in a "kayfabe sense" at Vicory Road 10 days later, so Sting apparently sensed interference was coming. Using his veteran instincts, he went for the kill right away, and defeated Hardy in his rematch in less then 2 minutes. Sting's championship win makes him an official 14 time World Champion. Let's take a look at how it went down in case you missed it. ;)

[YOUTUBE]YoQd1yhYnbI [/YOUTUBE]

Now that we've gotten that out of the way, it's time to look forward. If history tells us anything, especially in TNA, it's that Sting's title reigns are generally quite short. So while some may say it's too soon to look forward, Sting's title reign could be over if I waited a month on this one. Sting has a plethora of challengers looking for shots at the title, including RVD, Mr. Anderson, AJ Styles, or even Jeff Hardy should he stay in TNA. The challengers are a plenty, so the questions loom:

1. Who will be the end the 14th World Championship reign of the "Icon" Sting?

2. When will it happen?

3. How would you book it/do you see it being booked?

Answer the questions, take the poll, and have fun, you know the drill! ;)

I would love to see Sting get a 4 or 5 month title reign out of this being the crafty wrestler and useing his experiance to keep pulling out wins, but he will probably loose at lockdown in a three way dance against RVD & Anderson, with RVD getting the victory and being the new leader of Immortal replacing Hardy in a swerve from Hogan and Bishoff.

1) Matt Hardy or Abyss if heels, Anderson if a face

TNA is short on top heels, and they wouldn't want to turn RVD or Anderson heel, as they'd need an over face to challenge for the title back. Abyss and Matt are now Immortal's most prominent guys since Jeff got kinda-suspended (especially with Matt beating AJ) and Abyss is always booked as a threat. You can bet Matt's first world title was part of his agreement to join TNA, but his brother's behaviour may have nixed his chances here...

As Sting is winding down, this may be his swansong world title, and if so, I imagine he'll want a relatively lengthy run where he beats off a sustained heel challenge then passes the torch to a younger face challenger by dropping to them, complete with post match hugs, etc. Someone like Anderson maybe would benefit the most.

2) Not for a while yet

I get the impression Jeff's behaviour screwed up their plans with Sting's title, so they'll need to tread water while they fix them. Also the rapid removal of the belt from Anderson to Jeff so Sting could get it from a heel shows they wanted it on him, rather than just to use him as a transitional champ. The new costume too shows to me they're pushing this incarnation of Sting, and he isn't intended just as filler.

3) See above

I imagine him seeing off a brutal war with Abyss, and a few filler challenges by Matt Hardy over a good 4-5 months, with Anderson helping with the saves. After that they then have a respectful face v face match where Anderson wins, and Sting passes on the torch, and Anderson gets a proper run before he eventually drops the title to Matt Hardy for his first world title, who then himself turns face again before he drops it, leading to the end of Immortal.

Without a shadow of a doubt it will be Jeff has dying. I'm just kidding it will most likely be AJ Styles since they are pushing him to the sky. I would love to see Ken Anderson be the one or even Kurt Angle. I mean AJ embarrassed Ric Flair and Matt Hardy in the same match wining with a weak moonsault for the win.

What WILL happen is probably a clusterfuck World Title scene with random ass people getting thrown around in the Main Event for a while. I'm sure the next PPV will probably feature at a triple threat, if not more, for the title. Until they figure out who they want to turn heel they'll just let the faces bounce off each other while Bischoff and Hogan play the heel roles as they try to pretend they're still running the show.

Who will end Sting's reign? Beats the shit out of me. Seems like the safest bet would be Anderson. They've obviously been grooming him for something big with all of the spotlight he's been getting. And even though he was going to be a face, he's practically a tweener as it is and could easily feud with Sting for the title. They actually make a really good pair to feud as Anderson respresents the new breed of wrestling and his cocky, wise-ass style would clash well against what Sting represents. Anderson doesn't even have to go full-out heel for this to be a solid feud.

But that said, what SHOULD happen is that they take a guy who's ready for stardom, turn him heel, and make him the new top dog in Immortal. The best candidate, as I have said more than once, is Robert Roode. I know Fortune just did the face turn and broke from Immortal, but it wouldn't be a tough sell to have Roode say he went with his buddies because he wasn't going to play second fiddle to a jackass like Hardy, but still always knew that the power and the MONEY (remember his gimmick) were with Eric and Hulk. Sting could put Roode over big by dropping the title to him, and then you'd have a ready-made epic feud between Roode and AJ Styles.

Right now Sting is PERFECT to hold the World Championship. After the Hardy gaff TNA needs a champion that is experience, shows great leadership, has the credentials to stand up against idiocy and due his own swerve if need be, and is respected by the wrestling community at large. The only person on the roster that fits this is Sting.

RVD was originally suppose to lead Immortal but he shot down the idea because he refuses to be a heel. Right now I dont see him winning because of his being a known pot smoker, so it wont be RVD.

Mr. Anderson has what it takes to win the championship and is compelling on the mic but that would be like going from Shawn Michaels (Post Christian Edition) to Stone Cold Steve Austin Attitude Era Edition) in the PG Era. TNA can not have ANYONE hold the championship that could bring bad press in the wrestling world and Anderson cursing every sentence and going on rants like a few weeks ago "Asshole Asshole Asshole Asshole" is not good after Jeff Hardy.

AJ Styles may be the top person to do it since he is a known family man and has no drug problems. AJ also leads Fourtune which is huge (Or at least if they were used like a real faction) for the company.

The best thing for the company to do may be to let Sting carry the ball until after Lockdown and then send AJ after him, take the championship, and have Fourtune off and running like the Horsemen were in the late 80's. Give Fourtune the ball, make a clear statement about who the Stallions in the company are and let them run.

TNA NEEDS to have direction and perhaps turning back the clock on how things were done can make that happen and for everyone to forget this entire Jeff Hardy Mess.

I dont care about sting I was hyped when the rumors about him comming to wwe but realy since WCW he hasent even been on my radar.

he should have went to wwe cause tna aint even on the radar the guy definatly deserves better than tna and should have had his last run in the wwe.

since he's not and in tna and beat jeff hardy for the title in a minute I dont care

1)i have no idea who will, but hopefully it will be someone who deserves it.
2)i dont know when it will happen but hopefully sting will have a long title run, im hoping that tna lets him have a long one since he once again returned to tna.
3)i would book it so that sting loses the title in a long hard fought, close match to someone who deserves it. and as a lil bonus have sting and the man he loses it to shake hands at the end of the match (thats just me, the whole good sportsmanship thing is cool when they do that).

ok, i have to remember that this is TNA so they will have either a heel turn or a title change in likely 3 monthes or less. For some reason though, i cant get Mr. Anderson out of my mind. As of now, Anderson is a tweener/face character, RVD is a face character and Sting is a face. TNA is short on top heels. Someone mentioned Matt Hardy/Abyss, i cant see that for some reason. Either Anderson will turn heel and join Immortal or he will join heel and just be on his own, whatever happens, for some reason, i see Anderson turning heel and likely he will take the title off Sting. i dont see Styles turning heel for a bit, MAYBE Kazarian, but not Styles. Anyways, if it's not Anderson doing it, maybe RVD, but IF it goes to a heel then i can only see it being Anderson, unless another wrestler turns heel (matt morgan?) or Hernandez or the Pope or Desmond Wolfe gets a title shot, but i dont see any of that. For some reason, i see it being Anderson. he's got the mic work to be both a heel and a face.

This is what I want to see happen for Lock Down. For-go the traditional Leathal Lock Down Match, and have Immortal try to screw Sting out of the belt, ordering the first ever "Dooms Day Chamber Of Blood Leathal Lock Down Elimenation Match" and people can only get elimenated by pin/submission after bleeding, only after all 10 have entered.

My ten: faces 1. Sting, 2. RVD, 3. Mr. Anderson, 4. Matt Morgan, 5. Kurt Angle, heels 6. Jeff Jarrett, 7. Matt Hardy, 8. Hernandez, 9. Eric Young (get kicked in the head again, and return to serious heel), and 10. Samoa Joe (return to Nation Of Violence.
Sting win this, and hold until Bound For Glory, and then drop it to a properly built up, turned back face, serious Eric Young (I really think he deserves the belt).
However, what I think will happen is dropping in in like three months to a returning Abyss

I heard on the main page that it was going to be Jeff Hardy that won at Victory Road. However the plans changed given his condition.

Obviously now the plans have changed, but im going with what i heard and saying: Jeff Hardy.

Right now Sting is PERFECT to hold the World Championship. After the Hardy gaff TNA needs a champion that is experience, shows great leadership, has the credentials to stand up against idiocy and due his own swerve if need be, and is respected by the wrestling community at large. The only person on the roster that fits this is Sting.

RVD was originally suppose to lead Immortal but he shot down the idea because he refuses to be a heel. Right now I dont see him winning because of his being a known pot smoker, so it wont be RVD.

Mr. Anderson has what it takes to win the championship and is compelling on the mic but that would be like going from Shawn Michaels (Post Christian Edition) to Stone Cold Steve Austin Attitude Era Edition) in the PG Era. TNA can not have ANYONE hold the championship that could bring bad press in the wrestling world and Anderson cursing every sentence and going on rants like a few weeks ago "Asshole Asshole Asshole Asshole" is not good after Jeff Hardy.

AJ Styles may be the top person to do it since he is a known family man and has no drug problems. AJ also leads Fourtune which is huge (Or at least if they were used like a real faction) for the company.

The best thing for the company to do may be to let Sting carry the ball until after Lockdown and then send AJ after him, take the championship, and have Fourtune off and running like the Horsemen were in the late 80's. Give Fourtune the ball, make a clear statement about who the Stallions in the company are and let them run.

TNA NEEDS to have direction and perhaps turning back the clock on how things were done can make that happen and for everyone to forget this entire Jeff Hardy Mess.

I agree with the bolded. Sting should hold onto the title for awhile at the moment to yes, make up for the whole Hardy situation. Before Sting left he was being booked as an absolute beast.

Jeff Jarrett has taken out Joe and defeated Kurt Angle clean. But last year Sting brutalised Jarrett pulling his arm out of socket and destroyed him on ppv. He beat the hell out of RVD for what seemed like 10 minutes inot his debut after he was quickly pinned from behind. No one could stop the Stinger as he was trying make everyone realise Hogan was going to screw up the company.

I'd say keep pushing the newly heel turned The Pope and have he be the one to take the belt from the Stinger down the track. He has the mic skills and the in ring presence to be Champion unlike the failed Anderson run. Samoa Joe and AJ Styles would be great champions also but they are faces, and guys like Angle have held the belt too many times to be the one. Sting needs to put someone over and I think the Pope is the man to take TNA through to next year.

Pope can then feud with faces such as Styles, Beer Money etc. who would be great in the main event.

I think Sting/Jeff Hardy would have been interesting - I don't think there is anyone else really that would excite people apart from maybe AJ Styles.

TNA is in danger of going the same Orton/Cena way where they are playing out the same stuff week in week out; give the main eventers a rest and give Stinger a decent run against someone fresh; bring in The Great Muta, give Robert Roode a go. The old NWA were very good at doing this, using people like Bobby Eaton and Scott Steiner to keep people talking without threatening the belt or the champion.

I don't think TNA even knows right now who it should be.

If it was supposed to be Jeff Hardy, even before Victory Road, they have a funny way of doing it. TNA can't get it out of their heads that multiple switch of the belt is a BAD thing. Even referring to the Cena\Orton series, at least those two were top main eventers, but in the end it was predictable who would win what matches. Jeff Hardy's "condition" may have saved them from making both men look like goofs.

Now Sting can actually have an elongated title reign, which is good to build up the prestige of the title. I'm talking at least a 6 month reign minimum. There are plenty of heels and top contenders to throw at him; Mr. Anderson and Rob Van Dam are at the top of the list, with A.J. Styles, Matt Hardy, Samoa Joe, The Pope, Jeff Jarrett, and Kurt Angle on the list as well. (THIS is why I miss the TNA rankings. This situation would be perfect for just that.)

If I had my choice in the matter, The Pope would be the one to finally de-throne Sting. The feud would play off what Sting said to him before he took his hiatus, and The Pope joining Hogan and Bischoff to help destroy him.

I think TNA need to give Sting a long title run. I mean, they had all the hype around him ,and managing to keep him in TNA rather than him jumping to the WWE is a big success for them.

The title has bounced around a bit lately, and it needs to remain with one guy for a while now, and who better than the experienced head of Sting, who still has the name value, adoration from the fans and can wrestle a good match. I hope we see Sting hold onto the belt for a good few months.

If he is to remain face, then I am struggling to see who could be a credible heel challenger other than Matt Hardy. I do not want to see Abyss near the World Title again, and certainly not Jeff Jarrett. The Pope is someone I would hope TNA would push, but he will not be the next man to beat Sting.

AJ Styles, Kurt Angle, Mr Anderson and Matt Morgan are all guys that I think would be worthy opponents for Sting and all deserve a title run, RVD too but his known drug use should be enough for TNA to decide he shouldn't be the guy.

I also think this could be a good opportunity for Robert Roode. I like Roode ALOT. I think he is great as both a face or a heel and he NEEDS to be the next guy that TNA push hard. He has the total package.

However, Roode is a face right now...and a good one. Putting him up against Sting would produce good matches but would not make sense as a storyline now, as Roode is part of Fourtune, feuding with the number 1 heel group in the promotion. If he was to turn heel, then a feud with Sting could work, but it would seriously weaken Fortune and if any member og Fourtune went for the title, it would be AJ.

Perhaps Sting turns back to the dark side and joins Immortal, replacing Jeff Hardy when he is hopefully fired? That would open the door for Morgan, Anderson, AJ and even Roode (if he respectfully went solo) to challenge Sting for the title.

Right now, with TNA in such a state of confusion it is impossible to judge who they will turn to next to face Sting and even harder to say who will be the guy to dethrone him. Sting needs a long title run, which gives plenty of time for TNA took decide on the next guy they want to push as a credible challenger for Sting.

If I had to say now though, if they want a heel challenger, it should be Matt Hardy. Jeff's brother out to avenge his defeat. That COULD work.

If they want a face v face match, then Styles would make sense as he is the leader of Immortal. But if AJ is too busy with the Fourtune vs Immortal feud then perhaps Mr Anderson or Matt Morgan would be suitable choices, once Morgan has finished (and hopefully beaten) Hernandez.

Whoever they choose I just hope Sting gets a good reign, lets the dust settle on the Hardy debacle and then helps TNA to build a credible, and prestigious World Title scene again.

MISTER ANDERSON......Anderson.

Junky Jeff is done for, stick a fork in him. I think this is Stings swansong.

Sting needs to hold the title for at least a good 3-4 months. The undercard in TNA is a mess right now. You have RVD and Anderson feuding, Pope and Samoa Joe, Angle and Jarrett, Morgan and Hernadez, as well as Styles turning on Immortal with the rest of Fortune and then feuding with Matt Hardy instead of Jeff. The minute the Fortune turn came it should have been Styles going after Jeff as he is the only member without holding a title.

Anderson and RVD are currently the ones in the number 1 contendership spot, so you have to figure for now the world title scene is going to consist of them and Sting. In this scenario i think Anderson should go full heel. Have RVD gain a one on one shot first and put on an epic match with Sting however not being able to overcome the Icon. In the end of that i would have RVD says he feels he needs to go back to basics and find himself and would enter the X-Division leading to a match between him and Kazarian at the Destination X ppv that can put that whole division back on the map. This would lead to Anderson and Sting being left to fight over the World Title with Anderson eventually going over at Slammiversary and also in a rematch at Hard(core) Justice. He can then have a one off match with someone like Matt Morgan over the respect Morgan had said Anderson had earned from him but now he was spitting on it. Anderson would win this match and go on to Bound For Glory to face A.J. Styles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back