• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

TNA Sacrifice Reportedly Does Record Low Buyrate

X

RIP Sgt. Michael Paranzino / RIP CM
Wrestling Observer said:
The Wrestling Observer is noting that TNA's Sacrifice PPV has also posted a very low early trending number for its Sacrifice PPV this year. According to the report, TNA Sacrifice looks to be near a total of around 7,000 buys, which would be a record low for TNA. Of course, these are just projected numbers based on trends, and final numbers have not been posted yet, but at the very least we have an estimate of how the PPV events are performing in terms of buys.

Take that with a grain of salt of course, but early numbers look like Sacrifice did around 7,000 buys, an all time low for the company.

What was Eric Bischoff saying about how great they were doing? Excuse me while I chuckle at your expense EB.

To be fair, Over The Limit looks to have done awful numbers as well. Though it's still 10x more than this.

Oh yeah, LOLTNA.

Sting: "Hey Rob! Want a shot at the world title?"

RVD: "Sure. It's not like I'm getting booked anywhere else!"

Second biggest match on the card: Angle vs. Jarrett #485, this time featuring someone that hasn't wrestled in approximately 10 years.

Third biggest match featured Tommy Dreamer.

I can't imagine why no one wanted to see this.

I was thinking the same about OTL. It's an industry wide problem.

Any way you slice it, 7000 buys for a PPV when your TV audience is around 1.4 million people is an embarrassing number.

I find Bischoff has the right idea when he said that the number of PPV's needs to be cut down...he made that comment some time ago and has yet to have put it into effect. Something tells me it isn't happening.

If we assume the plucked out of thin air figures that those working at the company have historically disputed to be 100% accurate then this is hardly a monumental low.

Decreasing from approximately 8,000 buys for a show people don't care about to approximately 7,000 buys for a show people don't care about is not quite the same as the WWE dropping off by 100,000 buys or whatever; although it was undoubtedly caused by the same factors. Not actually sure what those factors are, but they seem to be about.

My rule about dirt sheets applies to TNA as well as WWE, so I don't buy it until it becomes official. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if TNA's buyrates are dropping. They attract a very internet savvy consumer, so it wouldn't surprise me if a large percentage of their fans watch through less than reputable means.

The good news? A much larger group of people care about TNA than the buyrates indicate. The bad news? They're not making money off those people.

Remember a few years ago when there were rumours that Slammiversary did 7,000 buys and then their were additional rumours that TNA had leaked that number because it was their 7th anniversary? Obviously false, but funny none the less.

This rumour is actually just kinda sad.

My rule about dirt sheets applies to TNA as well as WWE, so I don't buy it until it becomes official. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if TNA's buyrates are dropping. They attract a very internet savvy consumer, so it wouldn't surprise me if a large percentage of their fans watch through less than reputable means.

I don't consider the Wrestling Observer a "dirt sheet" at all. Not unless you consider ESPN a "dirt sheet" too because they get all of their info the same exact way that Meltzer does, through sources in the industry. Funny how you never hear people questioning the legitimacy of sports news journals/organizations when they get their news exactly in the same way that Meltzer and the Observer do. Wrestling fans are so ridiculous sometimes.

I don't consider the Wrestling Observer a "dirt sheet" at all. Not unless you consider ESPN a "dirt sheet" too because they get all of their info the same exact way that Meltzer does, through sources in the industry. Funny how you never hear people questioning the legitimacy of sports news journals/organizations when they get their news exactly in the same way that Meltzer and the Observer do. Wrestling fans are so ridiculous sometimes.

I use the term dirt sheet liberally. Basically if something is considered a rumor, I consider it dirt sheet material.

I also didn't read the fact that it was the Wrestling Observer. Oops.

Sports journalists, or at least reputable sports journalists, are held rather more to account that the Observer. They have to source their information, defend it when challenged and explain it when it turns out to be inaccurate. Wrestling Observer seldom appears to do any of the three.

Second biggest match on the card: Angle vs. Jarrett #485, this time featuring someone that hasn't wrestled in approximately 10 years.
Yeah, a major star from the late '90s wrestling for the first time in a decade sounds like a turrible thing to build a show around. The WWE is sure gonna have egg on their face after Rock vs. Cena.

At least we know who has a classier fanbase. Did you see any threads here about the far more dramatic number for WWE? Nope. Yet an "unbiased wrestling critic" managed to start a thread here and cut and paste information while conveniently leaving out the WWE part. Hope they do not take away his blogging privileges over this.

I could certainly see this show doing poorly but I find these reports to be basically worthless because they give no context or sourcing. I doubt Bischoff cares much about it because it is pretty clear TNA has been putting a lot into promoting several big shows and just taking what they can get on those in between.

The Wrestling Observer is noting that TNA's Sacrifice PPV has also posted a very low early trending number for its Sacrifice PPV this year. According to the report, TNA Sacrifice looks to be near a total of around 7,000 buys, which would be a record low for TNA. Of course, these are just projected numbers based on trends, and final numbers have not been posted yet, but at the very least we have an estimate of how the PPV events are performing in terms of buys.

When they tell me what that means and where they got their information then I might care. I'd also like to know what a buy constitutes in this context. Is this supposedly only orders through the PPV company in the US or more than that?

Regardless, as Gelgarin already pointed out this is a relatively minor difference anyway compared to the previous such "reports" on what TNA usually does. I do not think anyone should find it surprising that PPV audiences are trending in the wrong direction in any company, specially on the less important shows.

I am SHOCKED that an extremely butthurt Shattered Dreams ran in to defend the honor of TNA and their fanbase while simultaneously taking swipes at the WWE.

SHOCKED!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back