TNA Match 4: The Rock and Sock Connection vs. Chris Benoit and Chris Jericho

Discussion in '2nd Tag Team Tournament (2008)' started by Shocky, Sep 18, 2008.

?

Rock N Sock Connection vs. Benoit and Jericho

1. Rock N Sock

2. Chris ^2

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Y 2 Jake

Y 2 Jake Slightly Autistic

TLC 3 is the lost orphan of the TLC matches.

What would Benoit & Jericho be as a team then without all of these big stars to help them?

They didn't step up though, that's the thing. Jericho spent most of 2001 playing an unimportant role in the Invasion. It took 12 months off and another two years before Benoit became a main event wrestler. Then both back to mid card staright after their reigns.

In a one off match Kaientai could win.

I think it was No Mercy 2000 when he did.

Jericho is one of the sloppiest wrestlers around. More ropes equals more fuck ups on Jericho's part.

2. jpfizzle

jpfizzle Pre-Show Stalwart

I'm not really sure wether I understand this statement... are you saying that it's forgotten? Left out on the proverbial doorstep? For me it was one of the most memorable matches on free TV , it could have been on any PPV (although perhaps risk having a TLC overkill.

Well what would any team be if they couldn't go over big stars?

In that tag team they stepped up, they looked like they could beat anyone. Outside of the tag team as you say, Jericho went off the boil and Benoit needed to recover from an injury and work his way back.

Indeed.

Whilst I have seen him botch moves, notoriously f*ing up an RKO from Randy Orton, I have seen worse. For some of his better moves - (dropkick to the opponent on the apron and lionsault) The ring suits him grand. Even Benoit and the flying headbutt now has 6 choices.

3. Y 2 Jake

It's a good match. But it's not half as popular as the previous two, or even the Cena/Edge one.

Rock & Sock don't need to go over big stars. They are the big stars.

Also teams like The Bulldogs, Hart Foundation, Demolition and others didn't need the rub from Hogan & Savage to get over.

If beth were supposed to be big stars then WWE would have plugged away and made them into one.

Jericho near the top of the fuck up league table.

4. jpfizzle

It's still an impressive feat none the less.

Differen't times. and they are as I have already admited a manufactured team rather than a tag team in the respect that those you listed are. I don't think I would vote for the Chris's over any of them.

Making them win a gimmick match against three of the biggest tag teams the wrestling industry had produced (a match said tag teams innovated) making them win a tournament even though one half had already wrestled earlier in the night and having them win the title of the two biggest stars in the company sounds like plugging to me, Benoit got injured before we could have seen what happened.

5. Y 2 Jake

To have a good gimmick match with 6 other wrestlers involved? I don't think so, could happen to anybody.

Beating Hardys, Dudleyz, Edge & Christian isn't the same as beating big stars.

Nothing. Lost in the shuffle during the Invasion. Same as everyone else. Only Angle & Austin came out of it looking good.

6. jpfizzle

Agreed, but it's not like MITB, TLC was seemingly those tag teams game. They'd made it so succesful. It's the fact that they went over. Like for example, beating Undertaker in a hell in a cell, or beating Kane in an inferno.

They were the tag team division at the time, they sped up the process of a few months by going over them all at the same time.

7. Luther_Hull

Luther_Hull Cunt.

Two of the most successful wrestlers ever, in their prime no less, against two guys who do a lot of suplexes, hmmm.

Rock n Sock easily on this one, in fact, The Rock could probably take this one on his own.

8. IrishCanadian25

IrishCanadian25 Going on 10 years with WrestleZone

I haven't read everyone else's posts yet. I hadn't even ventured into this thread yet. You know why?

This is a terrible match-up.

Put aside for a moment the fact that the match-up involves 4 of the greatest singles wrestlers in history. AS TAG TEAMS, neither of these two teams did much that made a difference.

The Rock and Sock Connection was a comedy act designed to promote two babyfaces out of two guys who'd just gone through a war. They had no relevance as a tag team, and the only thing they accomplished was furthering some singles feuds for The Rock and helping Foley sell some books.

Jericho and Benoit are the same story. These guys were the only viable faces at the time to combat the 2-man powertrip. It was fun watching them as a team, but they were not much of a tag team together, and just because they won a terrific match against HHH and Austin doesn't make them anything of a decent tag team. Again - two singles wrestlers, jammed together.

Strange thing is, this is a match up of two teams that consistent of guys who were FAR better enemies than friends. Rock and Foley had epic wars, and Jericho and Benoit classic match-ups in Japan, WCW, and WWE. But neither represent a tag team.

I voted Jericho and Benoit. They had some history teaming together before this, and had some synergy. Rock and Sock was such a vessel for Rock's singled push, it's laughable. Their only chemistry was backstage - the Canadian Chris Connection at least put together some in-ring tag team chemistry.

9. Shocky

Shocky Kissin Babies and Huggin Fat Girlz

The Canadian Chris Connection takes down the Rock and Sock Connection 19-15 in the most debated match of the first round.

My Thoughts:
    The Right Choice, and by a mile. The Rock and Sock Connection were absolutely god awful. As I've said before, The Rock, especially in 1999, was terrible. His mic skills were the only thing that kept him over and he was given 3 crap title reigns. Mick Foley at this point of 1999 was awful. Sure he came off of a Summerslam main event, but Mick Foley was a shadow of his former self. The years of wear and tear had caught up with him.

The Chris' were the two up and comers, on the verge of the main event spotlight. In one week, this team did more then most great tag teams do in their entire run. In one week they won a gauntlet match with featured the APA, The Hardy's, the Dudleys, and Edge and Christian. The next night they beat the Two Man Power Trip cleanly for the titles, and the next night they beat Edge and Christian, the Hardys and the Dudleys in a Tables, Ladders, and Chairs match. That one week right there is more impressive of a resume then the Rock and Sock Connection could ever have dreamed of.

10. Y 2 Jake

You on crack Shocky. I would post more, but the forum probably couldn't take it.

11. Shocky

Shocky Kissin Babies and Huggin Fat Girlz

Crack? Racist