TNA has broken Bryan Alvarez/The Observer

The Dragon Saga

Whale in a Teardrop
For those unaware or who will click on this going, "who the fuck is Bryan Alvarez?", he's basically Dave Meltzer's right hand man. He used to be a wrestler and worked for WWE a little bit as an intern/staff member of sorts. He reviews a lot of stuff for Dave, like the stuff Dave doesn't have time to watch, one of the reviews he does is Impact, but as you will read below he's refusing to review it for at least a month.

The TL;DR of the post is, he thought last nights Impact was so horrible he's not watching for a month so the Observer/F4W won't be reviewing Impact for a month. It's not the premise of the story interesting/post worthy, but more-so what he says. He's the more subjective of the Observer staff, but hes obviously been pushed a little bit too much.

And if you want to read Vince Russo's blog on TNA and the difficulties it deals with, it's here http://www.pyroandballyhoo.com/eal-problem-plaguing-tna/

It's not a bad read and actually make me feel some sympathy for TNA, but then I remembered they've been working this schedule since they started TV and they did pretty well for oh four or five years or so.

Fare thee well for the time being, Impact
by Bryan Alvarez

I was thinking about this, and I don't believe that in the 19 years I've been writing this newsletter I have ever boycotted a television program because it sucked so goddamned bad. That changed this week.

After all these years, TNA Impact finally broke me. The show on Thursday night was up there with the worst pro-wrestling programs I've ever seen in my life. It might have been the worst. Maybe, top-to-bottom, objectively there has a worse show historically. But no show ever caused me to command a one-month (at the moment) boycott before, so I think the evidence is in that this was the worst pro-wrestling show I've ever seen.

I don't care if this is "my job," or if people want me to watch it and suffer through it so that they don't have to. I don't care. At the end of the day, while it is my job, it's also my company, so I can make my own decisions, and my decision is that I am not watching Impact for at least one full month.
I had considered watching the PPV next Sunday since a PPV is more important than television, but come on now. No one is buying this PPV, and the idea that I'm going to have to pay $34.95 for it is reason enough to skip it. I'll be 39 years old when that show airs. I don't need this in my life. There is plenty of actual pro-wrestling to watch.

The more I think about it, the less guilty I feel about not watching this product. Even if one were to argue that this is "my job," technically my job is to watch all the major pro-wrestling shows on US television, and you know what? At this point it is tough for me to classify Impact as a pro-wrestling television show. I don't know what the hell it even is. It's a variety show that features people fighting, only part of which actually takes place in a pro-wrestling ring, and none of which anyone could possibly care about because the majority of the characters are so completely unlikeable, and the shit they do makes no sense.

I read an article on why it's tough for the people writing Impact. It was written by Vince Russo. Yeah. So, as one would expect, it was filled with 9 million bullshit excuses. I liked the one about how the building at Universal Studios is not a good building for wrestling because so many tourists show up. I was unaware that pro-wrestling fans were restricted from attending. That's like saying the crowd at Full Sail University for NXT sucks because only college kids go. Except it appears plenty of wrestling fans manage to attend at Full Sail, plus the NXT crowds almost never suck. It is ironic, because Russo claimed that the crowd sucked because sometimes Impact had to tape one and a half shows per taping. Last time I checked NXT taped four shows per taping. ROH tapes four shows per taping. They seem to be doing all right. Come to think of it, they're doing great.

Russo claimed it was tough because you had to balance everything out to make sure people weren't involved in too many segments on a particular show. I nearly pissed my pants reading that. I saw EIGHT STRAIGHT SEGMENTS involving talking on Thursday night. EIGHT. You can read Vinny's review, but I think I saw MVP in at least five different segments on one show. Maybe ten. I lost track.

Russo had his usual litany of excuses. At the end of the day, it all boils down to this: the show sucks. Everything about it sucks, with the exception of some talented people who actually try to have good matches. There is zero understanding of what pro-wrestling is or why people—live or on television—would want to watch the show. They have no idea how to build interest in any of the matches or feuds, they have no idea how to pace a show, they have no idea how to make characters likeable or dislikeable. Russo ranted about fact vs. opinion. This is not opinion. This is fact. The quarter-hour ratings plunging throughout the show is an embarrassment. The buyrates are an embarrassment even compared to THEIR OWN BUYRATES several years ago, and they are ONE-TENTH what they were getting during their peak (60,000 for two Joe vs. Angle matches). Their house show attendance is an embarrassment. ROH is challenging them for their fans. This is not fact vs. opinion. What they're presenting is not what people want to see. And don't even get me into the MVP vs. Dixie Carter storyline. I'm pretty sure this is the only storyline I've ever seen in my entire life where there is no way more than one single solitary person (Dixie Carter) could possible care about it. To think this worst Impact ever went off the air with the tease that the Dixie vs. MVP war was going to escalate. Who gives a fuck? As a viewer, I hate them both. Two heel factions, two completely unlikeable groups of people, WHO LARGELY DO NOTHING BUT TALK TO EACH OTHER INCESSANTLY ABOUT SHIT NOBODY CARES ABOUT, are going to war, and I'm supposed to care.

I have better things to do. You should too. It's summertime. Enjoy the cool Thursday night air. Read a good book. Chat with your loved ones, enjoy a light meal. But don't watch this show. You want to support a good wrestling show on a Thursday, NXT is on the WWE Network and ROH's show is available to everyone for free every Thursday. They care, they try, TNA doesn't.

The show wasn't that bad.

Also from what I understand, this is the second wrestling writer that is getting paid to watch the shows that isn't watching, yet I continue to never miss a show and don't get paid. Such is life.

Also from what I understand, this is the second wrestling writer that is getting paid to watch the shows that isn't watching, yet I continue to never miss a show and don't get paid. Such is life.

You get paid... I was going to put some sentimental stuff here but actually, you don't get paid. Although if you had advertising I'm sure you could make a few bucks. I write for a couple websites who made enough money to pay for their server and hosting fees three months into this year.

The advertisers I had more or less screwed me over so at the moment it's just the e-books. Another site that I write for is still new and hopefully they'll be able to soon. I do all the live coverage there and amazingly enough, I actually do what I promised the editor I'd do and cover every show. Imagine that.

So to sum it up, overrated internet wrestling personality takes a dump on TNA over what was just another mediocre week of television, ignores the differences of taping lengths between TNA, ROH & NXT (ROH & NXT are both one hour aren't they?), and says he's not going to do his job despite getting paid to do his job.

*check time*

Yup, it's unsurprising manufactured drama o'clock.

It really is sad that incompetent fools like LaBar and Isenberg generate a revenue for their content when it is either echoed from better writers or original content full of mistakes and no consideration of counter points. I think I've said this before, but you have an excellent mind for wrestling journalism, even if we don't agree on everything, and it's sad to see people with a lesser understanding of wrestling journalism generating more money in the field.

Honestly, Impact wasn't particularly awful this week, it was just another mediocre edition, but I guess that must have been the straw that broke the camel's back. I will say that Impact is doing a terrible job to hype up one of their biggest shows of the year at the moment.

It really is sad that incompetent fools like LaBar and Isenberg generate a revenue for their content when it is either echoed from better writers or original content full of mistakes and no consideration of counter points. I think I've said this before, but you have an excellent mind for wrestling journalism, even if we don't agree on everything, and it's sad to see people with a lesser understanding of wrestling journalism generating more money in the field.

Honestly, Impact wasn't particularly awful this week, it was just another mediocre edition, but I guess that must have been the straw that broke the camel's back. I will say that Impact is doing a terrible job to hype up one of their biggest shows of the year at the moment.

Thanks.

I totally agree with him on the ending segment. I have zero idea why TNA thinks people want to see Dixie vs. MVP in some war with the TNA guys out there too. It really does seem like they want to make Dixie the top face but they're scared to pull the trigger.

ignores the differences of taping lengths between TNA, ROH & NXT (ROH & NXT are both one hour aren't they?)

It is ironic, because Russo claimed that the crowd sucked because sometimes Impact had to tape one and a half shows per taping. Last time I checked NXT taped four shows per taping. ROH tapes four shows per taping. They seem to be doing all right. Come to think of it, they're doing great.

Aside from having EY as the champ, TNA isn't so bad right now - certainly no worse than wwe. They have kind of screwed themselves with letting so much talent go as it limits their options - turning MVP isn't the best choice but they kind of had no choice. But if it is his job to review it, then watch the product and review it. The fans like us get on here and talk about what we liked and what they should do but we are fans, we do this for fun. That is his job, quit whining and do your job. If you think it is bad, tell why and what they could have done instead - that's what you get paid for.

It's harsh criticism, but he's entitled to feel how he feels. That said, there have been way worse episodes of Impact in the past than what was on Thursday. If he wants to stop watching, let him. It's funny, this dude praises next, yet I'd love to hear what he thinks of Smackdown these days. Based on what Superstar Graham posted it seems like it continues to decline.

Sam Shaw is one of the most interesting stories in wrestling right now. That alone is worth tuning into Impact for me.

Rockstar Spud is pretty awesome.
I like the Bromans.
Anderson mocking Storm on Thursday was pretty funny.

I agree on the heel vs heel power struggle but I've been saying that since it started.

I highly doubt this was the worst episode of wrestling this putz has ever seen. He just seems like another whine ass that has nothing better to do than bitch.

1.5 shows is 3 hours, no? Whereas 4 shows is 4 hours, yes? That's what I was asking.

Yes. Which Alvarez is right about. If you read Russo's blog he tries to defend TNA by saying it does something nobody else does - eh, not really, NXT does what TNA does, albeit NXT is WWE and they have the funding to do whatever the sam hell they want, but if ROH too can record four shows in four hours at a TV taping, then do all the pretapes or whatever, and work it in chronilogically (they don't always get it correct to be fair, Styles/Elgin II was stupidly placed on TV the weekend of War of the Worlds) then TNA shouldn't have any difficulty doing that for one show and a half. All it takes is someone with a head, some organizational skills, a pen and some paper.

You know, people have always given TNA crap, but it seems like this is perhaps the worst era of TNA criticism I've ever seen in terms of big names really giving it to them.

Just observing.

Trust me. I've seen crappy wrestling shows. Impact is far from one. When a wrestler trips over a speaker during a major anniversary show with an attendance under 150 and puts up a stinker of a match while other wrestlers peer through the entrance curtain, we can talk about bad shows.

The above was done by a 41 year old company, by the way. Not some cheap ass indy show.

Alvarez is just a hateful bully. Hes a short guy with a voice of a woman.

He has these personal vendettas that has been going on for almost ten years. He is always bashing russo, miz and keller. And he always sides with short fmr roh wrestlers

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back