Wrestling Observer 2012 Awards Featuring MMA!

FunKay the Inevitable

People Like Me, We Don't Play
Wrestler of the Year: Hiroshi Tanahashi
Oh look, Meltzer picked a Japanese wrestler over the hottest one on the planet (Punk) and the most deserving (Orton). What a surprise. Can't you hear it in my voice.

MMA Most Valuable Fighter: Georges St-Pierre
No nothing about MMA for the most part so; SKIP!

Most Outstanding Wrestler: Davey Richards
Bahahahahahahaha! Outstanding wrestler. Funny. No really, who's the winner?

Best Box Office Draw: The Rock
I can smell it...

Feud of the Year: Cena vs. Punk
I stand by my original analysis that the feud was never Punk vs. Cena but Punk vs. The Dated WWE Machine. Christian vs. Orton surpasses it by a way for me.

Tag Team of the Year: Bad Intentions (Giant Bernard & Karl Anderson)
They did more than any other tag team I can think of, and I barely even know what they did this year, so what does that tell you?

Most Improved: Dolph Ziggler
Mark Henry, Cody Rhodes, R-Truth or Jeff Hardy (His match quality has been through the roof since returning. Amazing what not being stoned will do) not doing it for you? Pick the guy whose only real improvement was on the mic.

Best on Interviews: CM Punk
No complaints from me.

Most Charismatic: The Rock
Can we just rename it the Rock/Cena Award? Between the two of them I think they own like a decade's worth.

Best Technical Wrestler: Daniel Bryan
By default as he's won it every year since Christ's death (or Benoit's prime, whicever came last).

Best Brawler: Kevin Steen
Won it last year, seems to be rather good at it. Yeah, sure.

Best Flying Wrestler: Ricochet
Better than Sin Cara and I haven't even seen a single match of his.

Most Overrated: Crimson
Makes sense though there were plenty of options to chose from all the major American promotions (including ROH).

Most Underrated: Dolph Ziggler
Who came to this conclusion? How the hell was he underrated?

Promotion of the Year: UFC
The WRESTLING Observer Newsletter awards ladies (who am I kidding?) and gents.

Best Weekly Television Show: WWE Friday Night SmackDown!
Check this out right here. That show in mah fave five!

Most Outstanding Fighter: Jon Jones
He'll be quite good, eh? Indy? JMT? Guy?

Match of the Year: Cena vs. Punk: Money in the Bank
Obviously Taker/HHH was robbed.

Fight of the Year: Dan Henderson vs. Shogun Rua
:shrug:

Rookie of the Year: Daichi Hashimoto
Better than Crimson for sure, and I don't even know who he is.

Best Non-Wrestler: Ricardo Rodriguez
¡Les presento a usted, el más grande "de México" estrella del año calendario que se 2011; RICARDOOO RODRRRRIGUEZ!

Best Television Announcer: Joe Rogan
[YOUTUBE]IDwxDnNTzvQ[/YOUTUBE]

Worst Television Announcer: Michael Cole
He is quite annoying, isn't he?

Best Show: Money in the Bank 2011
Predictable, but well deserved to say the least.

Worst Show: TNA Victory Road 2011
It sucked without the Hardy/Sting debacle. That only made it 100x worse.

Best Wrestling Manoeuvre: Ricochet for the Double Rotation Moonsault
Clearly they forgot about the Ace Crusher.

Most Disgusting Promotional Tactic: WWE anti-bullying campaign & treatment of Jim Ross
Stop trying to stop bullying!

Worst Television Show: TNA Impact/Impact Wrestling
For awhile it was, but it's picked up quite a bit since BFG. ROH's TV stuff sounds turrible too.

Worst Worked Match of the Year: Sting vs. Jeff Hardy @ Victory Road 2011
Not sure I'd call it a match.

Worst Feud of the Year: Triple H vs. Kevin Nash
Yeah, because Joker Sting vs. Immortal Hogan was so much better.

Worst Promotion of the Year: TNA
He hates TNA with a passion so it was obvious.

Best Booker: Jado & Gedo
Vince was never going to get it. No one else in WWE was going to get it. Russo and friedns were never going to get it. He knows ROH has questionable booking. At least he didn't pick MMA again.

Promoter of the Year: Dana White
I can see it now; "The Dana White Award for Best Wrestling Promoter of the Year".

Best Gimmick: CM Punk as the anti-corporate rebel
WHOA-OH!?!?

Worst Gimmick: Michael Cole as a heel announcer
Well deserved.

Best Pro Wrestling Book: Chris Jericho: Undisputed
I liked the first one better.

Best Pro Wrestling DVD: Greatest Rivalries: Shawn Michaels vs. Bret Hart
Quite good. Orton's was much better though.

HAY! Stop all teh hatez for Davey! I love the fact that he can do the same kick 89 times in one match!

I agree with this entire list except for wrestler of the year and most outstanding wrestler. Wrestler of the year I believe should of gone to CM Punk with Tanahashi being 2nd. For Most Outstanding Wrestler there are so many better options then Davey Richards. CM Punk, Daniel Bryan, Tanahashi and Shinsuke Nakamura are all better choices then Davey Richards.

I agree with this entire list except for wrestler of the year and most outstanding wrestler. Wrestler of the year I believe should of gone to CM Punk with Tanahashi being 2nd.

I disagree. Punk's begining and end to 2011 didn't exactly set the world on fire whereas Tanahashi was on fire all year.

I disagree. Punk's begining and end to 2011 didn't exactly set the world on fire whereas Tanahashi was on fire all year.

This. Really, if you think about it, Orton would be a better competitor for Wrestler of the Year. Punk had about three great months, Orton was outstanding all year along.

For the record, WWE stars had won the Wrestler of the Year four straight times before this. So I don't know how fair Funkay's synopsis of the award was.

I'd flag Crimson as most overrated talent as the dumbest pick. It's the only one that I literally cannot understand the reasoning behind.

Who is he supposed to be overrated by?

For the record, WWE stars had won the Wrestler of the Year four straight times before this. So I don't know how fair Funkay's synopsis of the award was.

I followed the stereotype, what can I say? Oh, and Orton was my choice for Wrestler of the Year.

I'd flag Crimson as most overrated talent as the dumbest pick. It's the only one that I literally cannot understand the reasoning behind.

Who is he supposed to be overrated by?

Seeing as Kane won it last year, I'd say the company.

I followed the stereotype, what can I say? Oh, and Orton was my choice for Wrestler of.

I think Orton was better than Punk, too. Only problem is that Orton wasn't quite the same draw Punk was for WWE. Both men were also hurt by not being the top star of the company. I just really hate the stereotype that Meltzer salivates when the WWE is doing poorly.

Also, for whatever it's worth, the Wrestling Observer awards are voted on by the readership, so it isn't just Meltzer. That isn't to say he's always right, but this is a pretty good batch of awards

Seeing as Kane won it last year, I'd say the company.

But how on earth is TNA overrating Crimson? He hasn't been allowed anywhere near the main event. He has had zero high profile singles feuds. He's held no significant gold and pinned nobody more significant that Samoa Joe. He is seldom given mic time or exposed at length on television.

In what way is the company overrating him?

But how on earth is TNA overrating Crimson? He hasn't been allowed anywhere near the main event. He has had zero high profile singles feuds. He's held no significant gold and pinned nobody more significant that Samoa Joe. He is seldom given mic time or exposed at length on television.

In what way is the company overrating him?

Didn't he also have that feud with Angle before he was knocked out of the BFG tournament? Remember, the guy had about sixty something points in the BFG tourney before getting hurt. I can only assume they gave him the award based on that.

Other than that, who else would you put? Personally, I'd say Anderson, or maybe Mason Ryan, but that's me

Edit; totally forgot Sin Cara. Yep, there's your winner

I have no idea who this guy until I saw this video

[YOUTUBE]6hItBFOBCko[/YOUTUBE]

Basically He likes to do frog splashes, pose, and sing. I don't see how this guy is better than Punk:shrug:.
MMA Most Valuable Fighter: Georges St-Pierre
I don't care about MMA

Awesome! Great in ring talent (which is what this award is strictly based on). Sorry DB.

Seems like he's cooking up something good at the box office

Fantastic feud! Especially the mic work these 2 had in their promos and the contract signing.

I have no idea who these guys are. However it doesn't seem they have bad intentions for Metzler now.

I didn't know Ziggler went from being Kool aid man to monster heel:shrug:.

Not a problem at all.

Same guys always win this, no surprise.

Well if he doesn't win most outstanding wrestler he certainly had this one in the bag.

I thought he was technical wrestler. Shame on you creator of "Kevin Steen" from the SVR 2011 community creations!

In the words of Daniel Bryan: YES, YES, YES, YES, YES YES! I love Ricochet, DRM forever!

Of course...

No! He won a world title for god sake!

Promotion of the Year: UFC
The WRESTLING Observer Newsletter awards ladies (who am I kidding?) and gents.
What he said.

As always...

Most Outstanding Fighter: Jon Jones
If I could I would give this award to Rocky Balboa, a true fighter!

[YOUTUBE]m1KtvyBhkJ4[/YOUTUBE]

:z:

Haven't seen to many rookies this year be in any way good.

¡Les presento a usted, el más grande "de México" estrella del año calendario que se 2011; RICARDOOO RODRRRRIGUEZ!

Look I know the WWE announcers aren't the best in the word but...

Worst Television Announcer: Michael Cole[/QOUTE]
Justice has been served!

There is no alternative:).

I remember the comment reaction's on another sight to this. Let's just say there was an overdose of emoticons on my screen. This sucked, needless to say.

Best Wrestling Manoeuvre: Ricochet for the Double Rotation Moonsault
:worship:

Most Disgusting Promotional Tactic: WWE anti-bullying campaign & treatment of Jim Ross
Something tells me Metzler has some cyber bullying experience.

At least TNA managed to close the margin this a bit this year.

It's unanimous.

Ridiculous. This wasn't THAT entertaining, but at least it beats anything immortal related.

Once again, at least they closed the gap, slightly though.

Best Booker: Jado & Gedo
:eek3:

Promoter of the Year: Dana White
This guy wins it every year, why should this year be any different.

He's jumped on "Punk is just like Austin" bandwagon!

Justice at it's greatest.

Best Pro Wrestling Book: Chris Jericho: Undisputed
Never read a wrestling book before.

Best Pro Wrestling DVD: Greatest Rivalries: Shawn Michaels vs. Bret Hart
I'm disappointed in myslef, I didn't get any wrestling DVD's this year:(.

All in all Dave picked he usually picked in some categories (Rise above TNA, hating on WWE anti-hate campaigns), and we got some surprises (Joe Regan).

Overrated should be somebody who is getting major television time, presumably in the main event, who does not deserve it.

Based on TNA alone (since that's all I watch) the sensible answer is Abyss or possibly Anderson.

I got about a tenth of the way through your opinions before I felt compelled to remind you, Z

A. These are voted on by his readership, not Meltzer himself. It isn't just him, but his readership that makes these decisions. In fact, here's a little thing you may enjoy. In writing about how WWE finished fifth in promotion of the year,

WWE is too low. For all the hardcore ROH fans who may enjoy ROH more than WWE, the idea that ROH, which struggled to survive and draws in hundreds, finished ahead of WWE for promotion of the year makes no sense

Meltzer isn't alone on this, this is a vote of his readership. Again, dude's not always right, but he's not some biased moron without a clue.

Gelgarin, Abyss would be a good choice, but I'd go with Sin Cara. Given how much was poured into the guy, can't see how it ain't him

I got about a tenth of the way through your opinions before I felt compelled to remind you, Z

A. These are voted on by his readership, not Meltzer himself. It isn't just him, but his readership that makes these decisions. In fact, here's a little thing you may enjoy. In writing about how WWE finished fifth in promotion of the year,

Meltzer isn't alone on this, this is a vote of his readership. Again, dude's not always right, but he's not some biased moron without a clue.

I don't have a problem with Metzler nor his readership, but it's easy to make comedy out of their opinions.

Thanks for letting me know.

Very glad to see SmackDown get the nod for best weekly wrestling show of the year. Well deserved in humble opinion. Also happy with MITB 2011 winning it's predictable yet rightful place as the best pay-per-view of the year as well.

I went Punk with WWE alone, Tanahashi best of had a very good year, whoever the fuck he is.

I haven't been inspired enough to watch ROH at this point. I would love a good reason too though.

Going on take-in per appearance, more than likely.

I never liked Orton v Christian at all, great matches sure but that didn't make it a good feud for me. I would take this, or Punk v. the WWE corporates as was, or Angle v. Jarrett.

Don't know 'em. WWE division is still crap and TNA didn't really have a stand out team even with Beer Money teaming for about half the year.

No. He had his best promo to date against Foley the other week. But that was this year. Last year he was just same old Dolph Ziggler, still knocking on the title scene door and still being disallowed in because of fear he isn't.. quite... there yet.

It's either Cody Rhodes or Bully Ray. Actually, I'd put my money on Ray.

Yep, or once again Ray.

He's still on that untouchable level.

His display against Big Show demonstrated this quite well a few weeks ago. I wouldn't vote against him.

Jack Evans' Destination X display was awesome. Saying that, I've not seen Ricochet.

Easily The Miz. Way too much hype for a guy that just isn't that good.

Eric Young. People love to underplay his in-ring abilities and his connection with the audience but he's got IT by the bucket full.

Nah. As bad as Raw is when it fails to deliver, it has enough great to outweigh Smackdown. My personal favourite is iMPACT but I would find it hard to make a great case as it being the best all year.

Obvious. I would still give it to Taker and HHH but I can appreciate this decision.

Erm, Brodus Clay? Certainly looks good.

FUCK. YES.

Chu sayin' Cole?

Worst Television Announcer: Michael Cole

Yes.

The Punk/Cena match was the most exciting thing to happen to WWE for a long time. I liked the dynamic of the very first encounter between Big Show and Mark Henry and the money in the bank matches themselves are always a great watch. Then you've got yet another Orton and Christian encounter. Sure.

Over the Limit was a poor show. But having a poor performance is still much better than having your main event ruined, especially when the rest of the show was forgettable. Agreed.

Even if Jim himself doesn't care, I do.

NXT says, HELLO!

No arguments. Despite it going to plan, Lawler and Cole is a close second.

It was awful.

I doubt it.

Hmm, Rhodes.

Black Reign still counts right?

Capitol Punishment was just as bad to me as Victory Road. No amount of crazy words that R-Truth says can ever make me like him.

Christian vs. Orton was the feud of the year for none other than that it made me like Randy for the first time in six years. That's an accomplishment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back