TNA Global Title now the TNA TV Title

UFOcalling

Master of the Scorpion Death Lock
I know there have been other threads on the Global Title, and how it should be either renamed, redesigned, or thrown away completely. The "TV Title" is obviously the third name that the belt has been called since it first debuted as the TNA "Legends" Title (around the waist of Booker T) in October of 2008.

Personally, I like the idea of TNA having a mid-card belt. It really doesn't matter to me what it's called, as long as the belt has some sort of prestige...the type of prestige that goes along with the Intercontinental or US Belt in the WWE.

I did think of the Global Title (and now the TV Title...this is getting confusing) as being more prestigious than the X-Division belt, but just barely. Now it seems like it has a chance to matter all that much more.

I don't think that the newly dubbed TV Title is currently at the level of legitimacy that it could (or will) become. I think that AJ (along with Fortune) can and will make the belt seem more important than it was on the waist of Rob Terry. Given the right amount of television time (no pun intended), the TV Title could become a lot more important that it ever was, and could be used as a stepping-stone to the World Title (again, similar to the IC/US Titles in the WWE). In my opinion, putting the belt on AJ and changing it's name is a step in the right direction for making the belt seem more important.

I think that AJ Styles (along with Fortune) can add to the belt's reputation. I really like that AJ renamed the belt, it adds to the idea that Fortune is "above" everyone else in TNA. I know that the "TV Title" moniker will also please a lot of the fans that didn't like the idea of the "Global" Championship name. One common complaint I saw was along the lines of: '..."Global" means "World", and there already is a "World Title"...'.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how legitimate the belt can/will become during AJ's reign. I hope that AJ will hold on to the belt for a while, and I hope that AJ will add some much-needed credibility to the title. I think that if TNA played their cards right, and made the feuds that AJ has all about that belt, the TV Title could really become a "upper-mid card" title that everyone is after [e.g.: the IC/US Title(s)].

Some ideas for this discussion:

1) Do you think the new name (TV Title vs. Global Title) will help or hinder the belt's reputation?

2) Do you think that AJ's current championship reign will help or hinder the TV Title's reputation?

3) Do you think the belt should be renamed, get a new design or just get scrapped all together?

4) Is the TNA TV Title above or below the X-Division Title as far as legitimacy goes in TNA?

5) Is the "TV Title" at the level of the Intercontinental or United States Championship in the WWE? If not, do you think it can ever get there?

I apologize if a similar topic has already been posted for discussion, I looked and couldn't find one about the new name for this belt. Looking forward to hearing everyone's opinions!

i think they should change it again to the hardcore championship if ev2 is going to stay around after hardcore justice...im not a big fan of dreamer and his wrestling but i do like to see him get bloodied up and hit people with chairs. i dont get if the tv title will be defended every time styles wrestles in singles competion if so he wont hold it long due angle

1) The new name will help the belt's reputation. The Global title made no sense. As you mentioned, there is no difference between world title & global title. Wrestling fans know what a TV title is, they've heard of them before. And, with AJ saying it will be defended on every TV broadcast, that will definitely add to the prestige & visability of the belt.

2) AJ will definitely help the belt's rep. He is TNA's biggest home-grown star, the face of the company for many fans, & a former multi-time world champion. Having someone at his level hold the belt gives it instant credibility, & I have to think that was the reason TNA gave it to him. It's a big thing to have AJ Styles defend a new title every week on Impact & at every PPV.

3) The belt says global on it, so they'll need to remove that. But other than that, I'd keep the design. I like the red strap-it makes the belt stand out. I actually think it looks better than the world title.

4) At this point it's probably below the X division title, just because the X title has been around much longer. But I think if you give AJ a couple of months with the TV title, it will move above the X title. Also, the X title seems to have taken a back seat as of late.

5) Not at level of IC or US titles, simply because TNA is not at the level of WWE. If the company's stature improves, so will the title's.

1) Do you think the new name (TV Title vs. Global Title) will help or hinder the belt's reputation?

I think it will do neither. The fact that they keep changing the name and the rules of the belt are hindering it for sure. They need to pick a name and stick with it. Thats how they can develop some prestige for the belt. I would personally name the the title "The National Championship", have it look similar to the US title, and have them really build it up as a mid-card title. A stepping stone to the World Heavyweight Championship for some of the TNA Superstars.

2) Do you think that AJ's current championship reign will help or hinder the TV Title's reputation?

I was thinking about that myself. I don't think it will hinder his reputation, but he isn't competing with the top tier talent in TNA anymore. Fourtune needed a title for their top guy though. It is def. something for AJ to do while not competing for the WHC.

3) Do you think the belt should be renamed, get a new design or just get scrapped all together?

Again, I would name the the title "The National Championship", have it look similar to the US title, have them really build it up as a mid-card title, and a stepping stone to the WHC.

4) Is the TNA TV Title above or below the X-Division Title as far as legitimacy goes in TNA?

Was think about that as well. I personally think the X-division title is more legit, given it's history.

5) Is the "TV Title" at the level of the Intercontinental or United States Championship in the WWE? If not, do you think it can ever get there?]

Not even close. Can it get there? One can only hope, but they really need to get it going in that direction.

The new name i think will bring more prestige to the title. Since its beginning the belt has been something everyone has complained about in someway or another. The television title is an exciting title to have. I brings a sort of pay per view quality type match to a regular weekly wrestling show. Some one could have a month reign with the title and it could seem like a long one because the title is on the show every week. Personally i didnt have a problem with the original name. Whether you say Global or intercontinental title and they both technically mean the same thing and have a world title above them. But if the name change is going to get the belt on television every week i am all for it.

AJ current reign can do nothing but help the newly crowned belt. He is there biggest home grown talent in the company and is the perfect candidate. He just came off being the longest reigning world champion and a break from the big time wouldnt kill him. Not to mention ease the crowded Main Event scene. He is in good shape and could work weekly matches. Not only that but he could put on great matches easily making him and the title look prestigious. Having the title start off its legacy in whats suppose to be the biggest faction ever in TNA cant hurt it either.

I believe that with solid wrestlers holding the belt it could become some what of what the old intercontinental title used to be. Wrestlers like the AJ, Pope, Angle, and even desmond if he climbs out of the whole hes in could make the tile look pretty damn good. The reason i said the "old intercontinental title" is because now a days it really isnt a stepping stone these days. I mean Morrison, Mcintyre, and Kingston. The first twos pushes never lasted and I Would love to see Kingston win it but theres no way hes winning the big time. The last and only black champ was Booker and i dont see it happening anytime soon again.

So in conclusion the new Television Title has loads of potential and has the right person starting off it legacy. In time if played right could become maybe as meaningful as the old intercontinental title and better than its current state.

The only thing i don't like about this title is that it still takes away from the x division title. The time they are spending building this title up, they could use towards that belt. They could have even had the x division use the "tv title rules". How awesome would that be to see that belt defended every week on impact. It would give the lesser known guys something to do, and help get more people behind it.
I am glad they got rid of the legends belt name though. It didn't make sense for someone other than an older wrestler to hold that one, since it does take awhile to become a legend.....

It’s a much better name and makes sense for what the title really is. Calling it the Global and even Legends title was silly, it wasn’t going to work. Now it’s being called the TV title I can finally rationalise why it’s called that. By the sounds of what AJ was saying he’ll be defending it a lot on iMPACT rather than strictly PPV’s. AJ is perfect for holding it right now and building it up into a championship that matters, much better choice than Rob Terry. I had honestly forgot there was even a Global Championship while Terry was holding it. At least with AJ and Fortune having the title it should be pushed higher (credibility wise) than it ever has been.

As bad as TNA is this is a good move.

Yes definitely as you have already said Global title made no sense as in essence the name was the same as the world title.

There is no way that this reign can do anything but help the belt, AJ is the longest reigning TNA WHC ever and a legit ME threat, so giving this belt to him gives the belt instant credibility.

No I think that they should stick with it being the TV title, I dont think that re designing the belt is necessary and if they did it no one would notice anyway so why waste your time. It definitely shouldnt be scrapped, with the size of TNA's roster they definitely need 3 singles belts.

I'd say below the X-Division but I dont think that will be the case for long, the only reason that in my eyes it is below the X-Division is because of Rob Terrys god afwul reign where he was lucky to be shown on TV let alone defend his belt. I think once AJ's reign is over the belt will be of more value that the X-Division belt.

5) Is the "TV Title" at the level of the Intercontinental or United States Championship in the WWE? If not, do you think it can ever get there?

No, it can get there but it will take time. It isnt at that level as it simply dosent have the history of great reigns that those two titles have. It may get there someday but not for years.

I actually thought TNA was running out of great ideas. I always thought they were too gimmicky. This is a really good choice on their part. I just hope they change the color of the strap. I can't stand that red strap. Also.. they should make their website better.

They should have scrapped the belt completely...and just bought in a new TV title...I thought they were going to bring in a Hardcore champion...:confused:

No...when I see it, I see the TNA Legends title..doesn't matter if they change the name on the belt..it will have the same design...

Maybe..it could..he could bring the title to the upper-midcard..like the US title in WCW...

Scrap this belt...and bring in a real TV champion!!!

Below obviously...what the X Division title used to be...just amazing with the matches we saw with this belt and the names that have held it as well...

No...we'll have to see in the future...

I also heard that AJ saying he will defend it in every country on TV??? Am I right?

Just of topic here, but who wants a bet that they will eventually rename this belt HARDCORE CHAMPIONSHIP!?

The TNA TV title just sounds better, MUCH better

The global title was just weird, whats the difference between Global and World? It made no sense

ECW and WCW had a TV title, which is the perfect name for a mid-card title, in fact I would like to see WWE use this name at some point for a mid-card belt if they ever drop the IC or US titles

I'd like the TV title if there was another title of the same caliber of the IC or US Championship as well. We've seen the Television title before in the mainstream as early as WCW. It was deactivated about 10 years ago however. After the mid-90's when the title would switch hands at local live events...and Lex Luger even held it at one time...the title lost some of it's value. They started throwing the title around on the waists of borderline jobbers. With Lord Steven Regal, Alex Wright, Ultimo Dragon, Disco Inferno, Perry Saturn, Stevie Ray and others winning the title all around the same time. After that...the title seemed to be used as something to throw on the waist of veterans who paid their dues and got mild pops from fans but weren't going to get the World Title any time soon (i.e. Konnan, Chris Benoit, Rick Steiner, etc.) The title was then given it's last jab when it was vacated and given to "Hacksaw" Jim Duggan...only to then be discontinued shortly after.

I often questioned the relevance of the Television title in the later WCW years...I knew it had some history and I did kind of like guys like Disco Inferno having it at times...but it was clearly the least valuable and borderline pointless title to have. If anything, you could say it stalled certain wrestlers from getting a chance at making a run to the main stream as they would be regulated to wrestle other jobber/mid card guys while holding this title but most of them probably weren't going very far anyway.

So my vision of the TV title may be skewed by the memories of the WCW version of the title in the recent past. I still don't understand why they just can't name it the "National Championship Title" or "American Championship Title". Those at least garner a little more respect and mean a little bit more.

I don't mind having a TV title...but I think they need something like an IC or US title first...as those have historical held more prestige over the years.

I'm not sure how I feel about this personally. I really wish that they'd just scrap the title, go with a new design and start completely from scratch if they want to do a television title. Maybe I'm a little supersticious, but nothing good has come with the physical belt in and of itself and I think a completely fresh start would be best.

However, since TNA's not going to do that, I've found myself having the tiniest shred of hope that this could be something positive. After all, AJ Styles has the title and one would think that he could go a long way in bringing credibility to the title. However, yes there's another however, I'm reminded of just how impotently weak Styles was booked to look against Rob Terry. If those sorts of matches and that sort of booking is what we have to look forward to regarding AJ Styles as TNA Television Champion, then I'd rather have a palsy victim perform brain surgery on me using a pipe wrench.

Here's the thing, the Global title was forgotten by most people for quite some time now. When it was the legends title, right from the beginning I thought it was the worst idea for a title I had ever seen.

So as for AJ Styles now winning it and calling it the TV title, I have ZERO complaints. If anyone has any complaints about this then they are pretty much impossible to please and are just looking for reasons to hate on TNA. I don't say that often because people's opinions are just that, opinions. But truly, you'd have to be completely biased to not think this is a great thing not only for the title, but more importantly for TNA. AJ is the #1 ranked guy in wrestling. You're starting out a new title (with history behind the name, even if it's not the ACTUAL TV title) with the #1 ranked wrestler as it's owner. And odds are good, he's gonna put on incredible matches while defending it. I'm not saying the title is credible just because of that. But it soon will be in time.

Do you think the new name (TV Title vs. Global Title) will help or hinder the belt's reputation?

Out of all the names the belt has held, TV title makes the most sense. I only hope that the belt isn't subject to further name changes. Keep it is one name.

Is the TNA TV Title above or below the X-Division Title as far as legitimacy goes in TNA?

TV Title > X-Division Title, although I think it should be the other way around. However, if AJ and Douglas Williams both have substantial reigns (which Williams is well on the way of doing), the belts could be on a level playing field.

I see alot of vouching for a TNA Hardcore title. I'm glad they didn't go this way. The Hardcore title in WWE was fun at best, but by no means credible. There were times that WWE tried desperately to make that belt a draw, but it never was. Not on Kane's waist, Crash's waist, Buh Buh Ray, no one. I almost imagine TNA doing the exact same thing with a Hardcore title, right down to the 24/7 rule.

it's help, because is like a "new born" for the belt.

for me, AJ is a wrestler who the mayority of fans want to see, because he have a lot of talent, and the boom.

the renaming of the belt of ok, because the belt have a great design

the x-division title is "almost death" for the iMPACT TV, maybe this will be like a second title, will have more repesentantion, becuase AJ appears all thursday nights on tv.

the new "tv title" will be upper than the "x belt" and lower than the WHC, it's obvious, because they don't want to kill the WHC.

I really don't see how this makes anything resembling a difference. It's the same title with the same history and lineage etc. It's just on AJ now and is going to be defended more. The midcard in TNA is still a mess and simply having the title change its name isn't going to make a difference in the slightest. If its defended on the same schedule as the global title was, it's going to suffer the same fate.

how many times do they have to rename the title??? legends, global now television title, wow remember WCW had tv title, so now they want to name it television title.. AJ styles is the only guy that can make the title means something to TNA. i think he is the only one who knows how to represent the title. Also maybe they might want to redesign the title, no matter how many times they change the name if the title i, it still looks like the same title it always been the legend title

1) Do you think the new name (TV Title vs. Global Title) will help or hinder the belt's reputation? No matter what name you give the title it has been pretty useless and will need a great overhaul to make it something worthy.

The previous AJ Styles that was a face and put on 5 star matches every night could do it, but this heel AJ that has to cheat to get a win over Rob Terry can't.

It should be renamed and have a new design. If it is only going to be treated like the Global title then it should be scrapped all together. They should have set up a tournament to create a new television title champion, instead of having AJ beat Rob Terry renaming the title on Impact with no authority to do so.

4) Is the TNA TV Title above or below the X-Division Title as far as legitimacy goes in TNA? The X division title hasn't really been legitimate for a while, but it does have a long history that put TNA on the map. They may push the TV Title as something more then the X Division title, but it really isn't.

Not a chance considering the history of the IC title and the US title. I'll admit that the IC title and the US title haven't been used that prominently, but at least there is history there. I doubt we will even see the television be kept as the television title much longer. Orlando Jordan could win it in a few months and call it the O Zone title or something stupid like that.

Yes, putting it on AJ gives it an instant boost in prestige. To keep the prestige high they need to leave it on AJ for a while. They just have to put AJ against crediable opponents. Rob Terry, though i like him as a developing wrestler, doesn't really have it to hold any belt. This made the belt a bit of a joke. I think the main reason Terry had it was because TNA has a large European audience.

AJ is the best worker in the company and getting the belt from him is gonna be tough, especially with Fortune involved. (this is assuming TNA doesn't have its head up its ass as usual). If they leave it on him for a while it will boost the reputation of the belt.

I think the belt could easily be redone to make it the TV title, maybe change the color of the strap and change a few plates and most people wouldn't know the difference.

This all depends on who AJ defends the title against. If its dark match Willies then lower, with good competition it would be equil.

No, I think it is more like the WCW TV title where guys like Arn Anderson and Lugar held the belt.

Ric-Flair.jpg

I think they could have done a lot with the legends tittle.. having "legends" held it. and tnas roster is full of veterans so they could have really put it into good use. I can already see flair vs hogan for the legends tittle.. because your not a legend if you dont have the legends belt!

I think they could have done a lot with the legends tittle.. having "legends" held it. and tnas roster is full of veterans so they could have really put it into good use. I can already see flair vs hogan for the legends tittle.. because your not a legend if you dont have the legends belt!
I agree they a lot of you on this thread the name being the global title was kind of redundant.But never the less i believe the belt could been so much more than what it is today if tna would have put it on the right people.

Think about it what if when eric young was running world elite he got into a feud with kurt angle for a couple months cutting political promos with each other giving the belt that much more meaning to.Then have kurt evenually when it off ey following that let kurt win it imo if they would of did this first and every fued kurt has been in.From his feud with desmond wolfe when he first arrived.To mr.anderson and up until now with what he doing with the top rankings the belt would have sooooooooooo much more meaning to it and could actually be considered a mid-card title rather than a lower card like its been reduced to.Also should have at sum point changed the belt design,i never really been a big fan of the red scarp but the overall design was ok.

Heres my list of people in between now and from the belts creation that should have also won it and made it mean more.

1.desmond wolfe
2.Mr.anderson
3.The Pope
4.doug williams
5.hernandez

I really don't mind what name they use for the title. It just bothers me how much they have treated the title these past few months. If the TV title suppose to be the equal to the U.S./IC title, then they need to use it more. I'm glad TNA gave AJ the belt b/c I don't think anyone can help put prestige and make it more credible than the face of TNA himself. I think AJ will give the title much need signifance by having great matches and feuds over the belt.

1st of all, I thought Tenay said that it was the Global TV title, but I have been wrong though.

Yes it will, TV titles have been a solid midcard title for years, I think it has to be one of the best, it will definitely help the title and the division.

2) Do you think that AJ's current championship reign will help or hinder the TV Title's reputation??
Well, he has held the title before under a different title name and IMO that wasn't really successful, but I think with the different gimmick, he can do much more, I am hoping this will do well for AJ and the title.

3) Do you think the belt should be renamed, get a new design or just get scrapped all together??
No, it should stay how it is, it should be given a shot as the TV title, since the Global title somewhat failed

4) Is the TNA TV Title above or below the X-Division Title as far as legitimacy goes in TNA? ?
Currently, the X division title hasn't been used well, at all, so at this time, I'd say it is above the X division title.

Not at all, but I do believe that one day, if used well, it can be a legit Mid Card title.

Sounds counter productive, but limit the title to only being defended on T.V. and not PPVs. Finally give the title some creditbility and stablilty.

I was fine with it being called The Legends belt, esp when people like Nash/Foley held it. A good belt to put on "those types" for the sake of holding a title.

Renaming it 'Global' was a good concept, even though it was basically a gimmick for EY's World Elite. Making this "mid-tier / Intercontinentalisk" title almost seem has important in value, or slightly under the World title was a good concept for TNA, just excuted poorly. Nothing against EY, but he didn't live up to the "hype" of this swank looking title. That being said, neither did Rob Terry.

Now it's renamed the TV title... Now if they live up to AJ's claims and make it a prime example of why the title holder is the reason people tune in to watch TNA in the first place, it could work. The belts honor is on the line. Make it exclusive to television. AJ can easily pull it off and shine in the process. Otherwise, they should have just renamed the belt the European title while it was on Rob Terry and have him, or Scott Hall, throw it in the trash...

Seriously, anyone who remembers the WCW TV Title or WWF European Title knows how they weren't even mid-tier belts. They were almost meaningless, simply made to appease an ever growing roster (*See TNA Legend Title ;( )

And for the record, I'm still a mark for the Euro belt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back