Time To Refresh The PPV's Here

ABMorales787

Lord And Master
Staff member
Administrator
Since 2005, TNA has featured the same PPV's going. In that time period only one has been changed. Unbreakable, which only featured one installment. Many people buzz around here talking about the "low buyrates". Al though I don't agree with the claims, I do agree that the PPV's seem to be lacking of something. In my eyes, they don't seem to stand out all that well, except for its big 3 shows, Bound For Glory, Slammiversary and Lockdown. Aside from those shows you have Genesis, Against All Odds, Turning Point, No Surrender and so on. Most of these sound more like Seagal/Van Damme flicks rather than a major wrestling super card. After looking back a bit, I seem to notice that older PPV's followed a degree of trend. Theme.

In WWE they have taken a more literal approach. TLC, Hell In A Cell, Night Of Champions, Elimination Chamber and so on. Al though it's not really a bad thing, it leaves little to the imagination. So I kept on looking back. At previous PPV's not just from WWE. Think back to November 2 Remember, Bash At The Beach, Road Wild, Spring Stampede, Heat Wave and so on. These events had a more cosmetic theme. Bash At The Beach. It aired at a beach (duh). Spring Stampede. Featured a western setup. November 2 Remember. It's November and memorable. The names can really be something to a show. Think about it, what names roll off the top of your tongue when you think of TNA's PPV's. The Big 3 and Destination X. Why? Because the names have something to be associated with. In WWE you had Backlash. The fallout of Wrestlemania. That's why it was a memorable show. Great American Bash. Normally featured in July or in June, but always close to July 4th. Independence Day. U.S. birthday. It makes it memorable.

My point is simple. Not only is it time to change PPV names, but it's time to invest in their look and make them memorable. To make them spring into people's mind. They don't have to be in your face like Hell In A Cell or Money In The Bank or (God forbid) Feast Or Fired. Go for something unique but associable at the same time. A hardcore PPV? Try a name like "Night Of Anarchy". A signature summer event? Hold it at a beach. Stuff like that can really help strengthen TNA's PPV's. Of course, step one would be got out of Universal Studios. Once that happens the sky's the limit.

Any objections, Lady?

I totally agree with you here. Aside from Bound for Glory, Slammiversary, Lockdown and Genesis (first book of the bible, first ppv of the year) I have a very hard time remembering the names of TNA PPV's. Until this year due to all the new PPV names introduced, I knew all the names of every WWE ppv and what month the shows took place down pat.

Maybe TNA should do something like a War Games themed ppv, I'm sure WWE owns the name, but they could think of a new innovative name. It would be a perfect way to end the current feud going on with Fourtune and EV2.0 I can remember TNA actually have a card during it's early wednesday night weekly ppv's entitled "Wednesday Bloody Wednesday" where the main event was a war games themed match.

Also I was really into the 8 card stud tournament that TNA had earlier this year, I think TNA should keep that concept going make it an annual thing much like WWE's King of the Ring' but make it to where the winner could cash in at any time much like the money in the bank briefcase. I know TNA already has the feast or fired match but let's face it I don't see where it done anything for any of the winners careers. A single tournament with young upper and comers every year would help TNA establish more home grown talent which is something they should do more.

Another PPV concept that I think would be really cool would be to have a PPV much like the Global Impact where TNA talent would face wrestlers from Japan. It doesn't even have to be all Japanese wrestlers, it could be champions from other promotions around the world coming to tna for one night to face their champions. Every championship in the company can be the center piece of the show much like WWE Night of Champions only they'll be defending against champions from other promotions it could be called TNA Undisputed (assuming thats not already trademarked by UFC)

TNA has come up with a lot of fresh new innovative matches over the years some a little ridiculous but most were very interesting concepts I think if TNA's Creative Team really got together and thought about this they could come up with better more memorable ppv names and concepts

TNA needs to reduce the PPV's by half, maybe even cut them down to 5 a year.
They make no money on them anyways and very few people search for streams on the internet so do away with 7 PPV's, space them out nicely, maybe have the bulk in the summer (June/August) one in October, Jan or Feb and April (depending on when WWE has Wrestlemania) and use gimmicks, maybe an annual tournament, Slammversary, BFG, and two none gimmicky PPV's that can be used to sell a certain gimmick for that PPV to peak interest.

The problem TNA has is that WWE totally dominate the PPV landscape in the sense that they normally have 12-14 PPV's per year and with their current gimmick format TNA are restricted on what they can and can't do without copying WWE.

I have no issue with it, nor do I have issues with Bound For Glory (Wrestlemania), Lockdown (all matches in cages), Slammiversary (Summer Slam) and Destination X (almost always features major X Division angles). All serve a very specific purpose and are rarely forgettable due to the fact they tend to hinge on a gimmick.

I'm not entirely opposed to the idea of removing some of the current incarnations, or perhaps adding more stipulations to them.

Genesis—a derivative of the first book of the Christian bible—is already a gimmick as it always takes place to open the year. No issues with this PPV.

Against All Odds should likely work similar to the way Survivor Series used to where perhaps some type of tournament is held where under dogs are forced to face off against the odds. This should likely be moved to later in the year, or swapped with a PPV that tends to show later as it would only leave a month's worth of build from Genesis to establish. Probably not enough time in most cases.

Destination X usually features the return of the Ultimate X match, and often profiles more traditional X Division style matches. No real issues here.

Lockdown has all matches in cages – absolutely no issue here.

Sacrifice usually hinges on all participants in matches putting something "on the line"—often their career—in order to take part in their matches, so again, so long as this trend continues, I have little issue with this.

Slammiversary used to feature the return of the King of the Mountain match, but as was lost this year, it's possible the match may not be making a return again, which negates this PPV almost entirely. Very average event otherwise.

Victory Road is as generic as they come. Were this to be held around the corner from July 4th, or perhaps on it (if possible), this might actually help to act somewhat like Summer Slam does for the WWE in being the "biggest party of the summer". If I were TNA, I'd hinge this on an All-American celebration, fireworks and live performances, as well as red, white and blue ring ropes for the night.

Hard Justice is probably the most generic of all the PPVs and has no direction, but as was seen by this years Hardcore Justice, this could be utilized as a hardcore PPV, yearly.

No Surrender to me seems like the type of PPV you could center most of the matches around the requirement for a submission to win – it is called No Surrender, after all.

Bound For Glory is TNA's Wrestlemania. No change here.

Turning Point is an obvious prelude toward the end of the year, but otherwise is generic and could easily be replaced.

Final Resolution I'm not totally opposed to, as I like how it flows into Genesis, as Genesis tends to act as a "new start" each year. Final Resolution tends to act as the "last chance" type PPV for certain angles, but like Turning Point, I wouldn't care if it was also replaced.

--

As for new titles, I'd go with anything like Behind Enemy Lines, Blood for Blood, First Blood, Southern Justice, etc.

The PPVs aren't that bad, really. Certainly not memorable, for the most part, but I prefer some stability in my life. The WWE's had about 30 different PPVs in the last few years. That's just out of control.

Anyway, back to TNA, I don't think you need every PPV to have a gimmick. I'm fine with a more than a few PPVs a year just being normal PPVs. As long as you have some good stories going and put out a good card, it should be successful.

If anything, come up with some spiffy new names for some of the more pointless PPVs, No Surrender, Hard Justice, Victory Road, etc. I don't have any ideas at the moment, but I'm sure someone does.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back