Time to get rid of the EC PPV?

Mr. HD

High Definition
I think it's time to do away with the Elimination Chamber ppv IMO, or at least move it to another month.

I watched the battle royal and how most of the superstars were injured heading into it. Cody had a hamstring issue I believe, Wade Barrett's shoulder was already messed up due to a botch with Show in the EC, Kofi had a bum ankle I think after being thrown out of the EC by Jericho, Truth looked to have a bad wrist, and so did Santino.

And all these guys limped into this battle royal and Wade Barrett got sidelined, and I heard that Cody Rhodes might be hurt even more.

So, is it time we do away with the EC ppv, because with it being so close to Mania, there's always the risk of that ONE bad spot that ruins a potential Big WrestleMania angle. With the Chamber being so rigorous and seeing what happened to Barrett last night...

Should the WWE do away with the Elimination Chamber ppv?

Should they just move it to another month?

What do you think about it?

Explain and Discuss.

The Elimination chamber is a survivor style match so I think it should go back to where it started which was the Survivor Series. They could have a couple of 5 on 5 tag matches, and an Elimination chamber match and a couple of championship matches at SS. I think this would make that event more popular again. Having one of the most dangerous matches so close to Mania makes no sense at all.

The Elimination chamber is a survivor style match so I think it should go back to where it started which was the Survivor Series. They could have a couple of 5 on 5 tag matches, and an Elimination chamber match and a couple of championship matches at SS. I think this would make that event more popular again. Having one of the most dangerous matches so close to Mania makes no sense at all.
I agree to having it at survivor series and only having 1 Elimination Chamber match would be better personally i don't like the gimmick match PPV such as Money in the Bank, Elimination chamber and Hell in a Cell

I like it, its a nice little speed bump on the road to Wrestlemania. It also set up HBK/Taker 2 with HBK screwing Taker which also set up Jericho/Edge. I like to see the champion prove himself before Mania instead of getting a cake walk to the main event. One of which will face the Royal Rumble winner who also had to grind their way to the main event. Even the Battle Royal was a good idea. 10 guys who lost and were beat to shit..throw em in the ring and let's see who still wants it. And look what we got. Punk vs. Jericho to see who really is the BEST IN THE WORLD. It would be cool to see it go back to survivor series cuz then it would set a good overall tone for the ppv, but i like where it is right now.

You can't really blame Barrett's injury on what happened in the chamber.
It was a freak accident that could've happened to any other guy in that situation.

Should the WWE do away with the Elimination Chamber ppv?

Should they just move it to another month?

What do you think about it?

No. Very much no.

First, the concept of the chamber is very novel and the first truly original gimmick match in a long time. It only get broken out once a year so the concept doesn't get stale. Yes there is potential for injuries but so is being tossed over the top rope. It sets ups Mania nicely with many different outs in order to book the best possible card for the maximum PPV buys. Being a newer concept it is still possible to come up with original finishes and WWE creative has certainly thrown some booking fastballs when writing this match.

The Road To Wrestlemania PPVs - Royal Rumble, Elimination Chamber, Wrestlemania.

So I guess in answer I disagree with everything you say.

Eh, I like the EC, I also like Money in the Bank, HOWEVER, I wouldn't mind seeing the two concepts merged.

Have an Elimination Chamber which starts like normal, two in the ring, four in the chambers. Have a couple of ladders, scattered maybe above the chambers themselves or on the flooring next to the chambers. Make it so the money in the bank briefcase is suspended above the ring, BUT is too high to reach from a ladder. The reason for this being that the briefcase will ONLY lower only after all participants are freed from their chambers.

Its just a random idea to merge the two concepts, I know it needs some tweeking or just flat out wouldnt work all together, but its something I wouldnt mind seeing.

I definitely don't think they should get rid of the Elimination Chamber. It has become an important staple on the road to Wrestlemania. The whole purpose of having the Chamber match on the PPV before. Is to add to the build of Wrestlemania, and makes headlining it. Look that much more important, that the six men in the match would risk their careers. For the chance to be in the main event. Having a normal title match or number one contender match. Just doesn't add as much drama or importance as the Elimination Chamber does.

No. Very much no.

First, the concept of the chamber is very novel and the first truly original gimmick match in a long time. It only get broken out once a year so the concept doesn't get stale. Yes there is potential for injuries but so is being tossed over the top rope. It sets ups Mania nicely with many different outs in order to book the best possible card for the maximum PPV buys. Being a newer concept it is still possible to come up with original finishes and WWE creative has certainly thrown some booking fastballs when writing this match.

The Road To Wrestlemania PPVs - Royal Rumble, Elimination Chamber, Wrestlemania.

So I guess in answer I disagree with everything you say.

This. 10,000 times this.

The Elimination Chamber match is the WWE's 2nd best match behind the Royal Rumble, so it's a natural fit on the road to WrestleMania - where their 3rd best match, MITB, takes place annually. It's the most important part of the year for the WWE, and the schedule as currently presented reflects that. That's a good thing.

Also, it gives them a lot of flexibility in booking. Before the Elimination Chamber was moved to its current spot, No Way Out was a very awkward place that really didn't belong. It's very difficult to book a PPV when you're openly building towards the next one. You can do one or two (like Cena/Kane this year, Miz/Lawler last year, HBK/JBL Randy Orton/Shane McMahon a few years ago, etc), but it's difficult to do a full card. With two Elimination Chamber matches, you can just throw all the main eventers in there and set up WrestleMania however you want. It gives you a lot more flexibility and options. You can have both titles on the line in EC matches, or you can use one to determine the #1 Contender for whichever title the Royal Rumble winner doesn't fight for.

The whole injury thing is just nonsense. As far as I know, none of those injuries you mentioned were legitimate. They've had 3 shows in the last 3 days, and one person's injury took them off WrestleMania - and that injury was in a battle royal, not the Elimination Chamber. Should we ban battle royals leading up to WrestleMania...move Royal Rumble to another month? Come on man. What happened to Barret could happen in any match on any day of the year.

I like Elimination Chamber being where its at for the reasons people have mentioned above, it makes the title matches at mania feel important as the respective champions have effectively gone through hell and taken on all comers to earn their spot. It also prevents a PPv stacked with a series of short, filler fueds. Not as many people wuld buy a PPV knowing that in essence its simply building up to the next one, which is why Ec works so well it is such an exciting match and novel concept that people don't particularly care about the lakc of build up or story the match in itself is so intriguing that it generates the PPV buys itself.

Maybe I'm just being a little too overly cautious.

But god forbid a serious injury does occur in the Chamber before Mania

A lot of their injuries were a work. I like where EC is, it really makes the road to Mania have a gauntlet feel to it.

That said, I wouldn't mind it at survivor series. I've always thought turning an EC match into a 3 on 3 team thing would be cool. Still have the pods and the same stuff, just War Games rules.

Yes, WWE should cease the Feb PPV all together and one long run between Rumble & Wrestle Mania, and they could still do the 13 PPV's a year just have WM around mid March and have the next 3 weeks later then maybe another one 3 weeks later.

I am anti ppv's where they are expected to have one specific type of match, I say no to elimiation chamber ppv, no to the hell in a cell ppv, no to the tables ladders and chairs ppv's. Make these matches special again.

I remember 10 years or so again when we were told Mankind would face Taker in the cell, EVERYONE was mega excited about it and they put on one darn good show. Same goes for ALL cell matches OUTSIDE of the Hell in a Cell PPV event. Even the DX Vs Mcmahons match was decent.

I want to see these matches special again. We got 4 main ppv's atm, Royal Rumble and Survivor Serious are both "gimmick" type PPV's with Wrestlemania and Summerslam being "wrestling" ppv's. Let Hell in a Cell and EC be specific to one of the wrestling ppv's. Let the ones in the middle sit as pure entertainment. If a EC should happen at one, fine, np. But not in its own ppv.

I think it's time to do away with the Elimination Chamber ppv IMO, or at least move it to another month.

The main purpose of the Chamber is, other than for a 'last chance' for champions (only to further bigger story lines, such as HBK/Taker 2) is to add shock value with the rarity and negative connotations of the Chamber itself.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rH1fr9U-QbU

Although it is far more ineffective now, especially with the lack of extreme spots, over-botching and omission of blood, it's still there for the appeal that the Chamber brings itself.

I disagree with the entire themed concept PPV; I actually think it should be an 'In Your House' style of 'theme'.
Another thing is that the EC PPV doesn't advance current feuds towards WrestleMania, which is meant to start at the Rumble.

Royal Rumble 2010: Edge won, chose after the Chamber PPV.
Royal Rumble 2011: Alberto Del Rio won, hinted towards facing Edge, but was made official after the Chamber. I may be wrong here.
Royal Rumble 2012: Sheamus won, said he'll make his choice after EC.

2012 Feuds from the Rumble or weeks after - now.
  • John Cena vs Kane - not a WM match, lasted until EC.
  • John Cena vs Rock - Cena dropped the topic of Rock vs Him at WrestleMania until this past Monday.
  • CM Punk vs Dolph Ziggler - technically lasted until EC.
  • CM Punk vs Jericho - started 2 weeks before EC, technically 3 weeks before it (disregard the unfinished 'End of the World' bullshit).
  • Undertaker vs Triple H - the second feud that was built before EC.
  • Daniel Bryan vs Big Show - ended (?) at Elimination Chamber.
  • Daniel Bryan vs Sheamus - starts after EC.
  • Anything else - starts after EC.

Also, where can I find a high quality link for your signature? :)

It all falls to the ability of the wrestlers. If they can go into a chamber and they should be able to compete without injuring themselves. The EC ppv is at the right time of the year as it helps keep interest in the road to wreslemania as they are offering what should be two high quality matches as well as unpredictably in terms of title change.

If the WWE were overwhelmed by the fear of injuries then every match would just be a headlock.

WWE should keep Elimination Chamber right where it is. They have found a formula that works perfectly. The Rumble winner gets an instant ticket to a main event match, while the Elimination Chamber determines which two champions he has the potential to face. That combined with the novelty of the gimmick itself is enough for Elimination Chamber to do well in buyrates for the long run. I see no reason to ever move it or end it because over the years its importance will continue to grow and fans will keep anticipating the event as part of the Road to Wrestlemania.

The issue of safety in big spots might come up. WWE know ahead of time who will be main eventing Wrestlemania. Elimination Chamber is just a place for them to reveal the world title holders to fans. Even if the worst were to happen and a champion/challenger gets injured, then you'd have to think that they ALWAYS have another plan to fall back on. Say Jericho suffered a legit injury at the event. We would miss out on his match with Punk potentially, but they would then go with another feud instead. An organization like WWE always has to have back up plans during the busiest months of the year. They wouldn't hold this event right before Wrestlemania if the risks were too large.

The Elimination Chamber is the one gimmick ppv that makes sense. Booking a ppv right before WM is difficult. You are not going to start new feuds. It will be tough coming up with 5 or 6 matches that dont look like filler matches.

Its basically a wrestlers last ditch effort to become champion and headline WM. It shows the importance of WM by having them go through brutal chamber matches. The entire focus on the ppv is still on Wrestlemania.

Hell in a Cell is the gimmick ppv they need to get rid off. HIAC should only be used to end an intense personal rivalry.

The Elimination Chamber is the one gimmick ppv that makes sense. Booking a ppv right before WM is difficult. You are not going to start new feuds. It will be tough coming up with 5 or 6 matches that dont look like filler matches.

Its basically a wrestlers last ditch effort to become champion and headline WM. It shows the importance of WM by having them go through brutal chamber matches. The entire focus on the ppv is still on Wrestlemania.

Hell in a Cell is the gimmick ppv they need to get rid off. HIAC should only be used to end an intense personal rivalry.

I agree mostly
EC should stay and HiaC is useless

But i think EC shouldnt be used for championship matches

There should be one EC match and it should determine the #1 contender for the World Title that is not chosen by the RR winner

Yes, Wwe should get rid of The Elimination Chamber PPV for a couple of reasons

1. Since having two Elimination Chamber matches during one PPV they have watered them down and the actual matches are quite boring now.

2. As the matches for WrestleMania are set before Royal Rumble, nothing interesting happens at The EC event I.E. no major Championships have changed hands since 2010.

3. I think it should be a straight road after Royal Rumble leading up to the big event.

A while back, I read an article that stated WWE officials were talking about doing away with the gimmick ppvs altogether. The reason stated was that most felt that they'd simply run their course.

When you look at the last two cage match ppvs, Hell in a Cell & Elimination Chamber, there was only one match of each on their respective shows instead of the usual two. I don't know if that's WWE merely testing the waters to see how fans respond to having one match rather than two, if it's a sign that they're eventually going to phase them out altogether or what.

The idea of having matches like a TLC match or HIAC or EC match that can pop up anywhere, at any time and on any show is probably the way to go. Organizing these special matches to take place once a year at a specific show worked for a while but I think it's time to do away with them. For instance, Taker vs. Triple H at WM 28 felt all the more special because it was inside Hell in a Cell. There hadn't been a Hell in a Cell match at WrestleMania in years and that fans were especially into it when you add onto the fact that it was a match for Taker's streak.

The Elimination Chamber match itself is very entertaining. It could be done at any given time of the year for any show and it would draw interest, especially if fans couldn't predict when it was gonna come about.

I actually like the Elimination Chamber match.

Maybe get rid of the Elimination Chamber PPV, but having the actual Elimination Chamber match in February at some point before WrestleMania is a great idea.

If WrestleMania is the Superbowl, then the Elimination Chamber is pretty much the Playoffs. A guy like Dolph Ziggler, The Miz, or John Cena will likely be on the WrestleMania card no matter what happens. But if you throw someone like Santino Marella or Jack Swagger into the mix, they pretty much have to win the title or #1 contendership just to be at WrestleMania at all. For a lot of these midcard guys who get thrown into the chamber match, it creates a "Go Big or Go Home" feel which makes the match seem that much more important.

A while back, I read an article that stated WWE officials were talking about doing away with the gimmick ppvs altogether. The reason stated was that most felt that they'd simply run their course.

When you look at the last two cage match ppvs, Hell in a Cell & Elimination Chamber, there was only one match of each on their respective shows instead of the usual two. I don't know if that's WWE merely testing the waters to see how fans respond to having one match rather than two, if it's a sign that they're eventually going to phase them out altogether or what.

The idea of having matches like a TLC match or HIAC or EC match that can pop up anywhere, at any time and on any show is probably the way to go. Organizing these special matches to take place once a year at a specific show worked for a while but I think it's time to do away with them. For instance, Taker vs. Triple H at WM 28 felt all the more special because it was inside Hell in a Cell. There hadn't been a Hell in a Cell match at WrestleMania in years and that fans were especially into it when you add onto the fact that it was a match for Taker's streak.

The Elimination Chamber match itself is very entertaining. It could be done at any given time of the year for any show and it would draw interest, especially if fans couldn't predict when it was gonna come about.

I'm all for this. The mystique and shock factor that came with an announcement of a TLC, Hell in a Cell, or Elimination Chamber match is so far gone because there's a ppv a year that guarantees at least ONE of those match types.

Elimination Chamber, Hell in a Cell, and Ladder matches (for some) are supposed to be feud ENDERS.

I'd rather Money in the Bank go back to being a once a year match at WrestleMania. Just so long as they don't overload it with 8-10 people like they love to do nowadays. Having two people run around with the briefcase seemed to be a good idea at its inception, but now I don't like it. One briefcase creates more suspense and drama rather than two.

The Elimination Chamber ppv is the perfect event between Mania and the Royal Rumble. It is a fantastic way to create feuds and put the final touches to the top of the card. By having 6 guys in a world title or number one contender match it adds unpredictability on the road to Wrestlemania. Moreover, the matches itself make people want to watch - they are usually brutal and exciting. If it was just a regular ppv than many would pay for the Royal Rumble and than wait to purchase Mania.

I think they should keep it where it is. It has become a part of the road to Mania, and it is a ppv I look forward to each year. Every year the seem to throw a bit of a curveball at the event. I do like having two chamber matches though instead of the one they went with this year. The match itself is always entertaining, and the chamber actually has its own history now. I can't really agree with getting rid of it or even moving it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back