This thread brought to you courtesy of...

My computer is shit...

# Maximum Memory Capacity: 1024MB
# Currently Installed Memory: 512MB
# Available Memory Slots: 0
# Total Memory Slots: 2
# Dual Channel Support: No
# CPU Manufacturer: AuthenticAMD
# CPU Family: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2600+ Model 8, Stepping 1
# CPU Speed: 2079 MHz

It is 7 years old though...
One of my computers was almost exactly the same as that. I spent about $40 and put in 512 more memory, and then threw the OpenSUSE Linux Operating system on it.

You get a state of the art operating system, with materials that are 7 years old. It's a win-win situation.

Maximum Memory Capacity: 4096MB
Currently Installed Memory: 1.25GB
Available Memory Slots: 0
Total Memory Slots: 4
Dual Channel Support: Yes
CPU Manufacturer: GenuineIntel
CPU Family: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.20GHz Model 4, Stepping 1
CPU Speed: 3200 MHz

Mine is old.
It may be old, but it looks pretty good. Again, spend about $60-70 and buy some memory upgrades, and your computer could be rocking pretty good.

Especially if you're still running XP on it. And if you're running Vista with that memory, you should be shot.

I'm wanting a new tower, nothing else. My price range is about 450$-500$. Wheres the best place to go? What do I get? Can I get the 1 tarabyte of memory for it? If I end up getting something like an HP, will it run my Dell moniter/speakers/keyboard?

What system do I get to run it? Vista? XP? What? I have Vista now, its either Dell fucked it up, like Ty said, or I just can't use it one.

I'm wanting a new tower, nothing else. My price range is about 450$-500$. Wheres the best place to go? What do I get? Can I get the 1 tarabyte of memory for it?
You'll just have to shop around, really.

It's unlikely you'll find a system with a standard 1 TB Hard Drive in it for that price. The reason for this is because entire systems get upgraded as price goes up, so it's hard to find a system with a maxed out Hard Drive, but lower quality other things.

In all honesty, a computer like this would more than likely serve your needs:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9175064&type=product&id=1218045567985

And then you could use the money you saved to put towards more memory, or an additional hard drive, etc. Buy a 500 GB hard drive as a second hard disk and away you will go.

Just doing a quick glance, this looks like a damn fine computer for the price:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9999115000050005&type=product&id=pcmprd115100050005

The only thing that might be a little weak is the graphics card...in all honesty, I just don't know much about that stuff. But, the tower looks pretty good.

If I end up getting something like an HP, will it run my Dell moniter/speakers/keyboard?
It'll depend, but likely.

I see no reason why it shouldn't run your speakers or keyboard. And as long as the monitor just uses a VGA cable, it should do that as well.

What system do I get to run it? Vista? XP? What? I have Vista now, its either Dell fucked it up, like Ty said, or I just can't use it one.
Get a Vista higher than Vista Home Basic. From what I've been told, anyone who gets Vista Home Premium or better will get the free upgrade to Windows 7 in October.

In all honesty, a computer like this would more than likely serve your needs:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9175064&type=product&id=1218045567985

I really liked this computer, but is it something thats ALWAYS going to be there, or just like one system up for sale? I'm looking to have about 400$ by Christmas, then my Christmas money I always get to buy off the rest. So it will actually be a couple of months before I get to buy it.

Get a Vista higher than Vista Home Basic. From what I've been told, anyone who gets Vista Home Premium or better will get the free upgrade to Windows 7 in October.

Well the link you showed me is offering to buy Windows 7 and get free Shipping and Handleing. Worth it?

I really liked this computer, but is it something thats ALWAYS going to be there, or just like one system up for sale? I'm looking to have about 400$ by Christmas, then my Christmas money I always get to buy off the rest. So it will actually be a couple of months before I get to buy it.
Compaq Presarios are on sale all the time, if not at Best Buy, then certainly Staples.

Yes, you could probably find that same deal later.

Well the link you showed me is offering to buy Windows 7 and get free Shipping and Handleing. Worth it?
Uhh, no. Do you mean buy Windows 7 at full price? Because that will probably be several hundred dollars.

Uhh, no. Do you mean buy Windows 7 at full price? Because that will probably be several hundred dollars.

Okay, so I'll go with Vista Home Premium. That would probably be best bought at a store, correct? I looked at the prices over google, and it was at 259$ for Home Premium.

Okay, so I'll go with Vista Home Premium. That would probably be best bought at a store, correct? I looked at the prices over google, and it was at 259$ for Home Premium.
No, just buy a computer system that has Home Premium or better on it. Don't spend money just for Vista, when for another $100 you can get a whole new computer.

Your Soooo Lucky!
My computer is beyond a hot mess. The color is messed(everything is red dots), and the "f", & "m" keys are missing. Student Loans cannot come fast enough.

Oh well, hmm. The computer I'm looking at comes with Microsoft works 9. Go with it? Or no? (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9175064&type=product&id=1218045567985) This one you've shown me. I still gotta make the salespitch to my mother. >.>
Most computers come with Works. MS Works sucks though. But, no matter, you should buy it anyways if you're going to buy an inexpensive computer. I've had two Compaq Presarios, and they've both been ace.

Oh, and don't buy anti-virus programs or Microsoft Office. No need to waste your money, with AVG and Open Office are both out there.

Most computers come with Works. MS Works sucks though. But, no matter, you should buy it anyways if you're going to buy an inexpensive computer. I've had two Compaq Presarios, and they've both been ace.

I'm trying to get the best one I can, at the lowest price. So I'm going to go ahead and bookmark this link, and try to get this one. If I go to a local store, and can find Vista Premium for under 100$ I'll be sure to try and pick it up with the money I saved, also.

The average 500 GB harddrive you told me to get as well, usually costs around 50-75$ for the part, right?

I'm trying to get the best one I can, at the lowest price. So I'm going to go ahead and bookmark this link, and try to get this one. If I go to a local store, and can find Vista Premium for under 100$ I'll be sure to try and pick it up with the money I saved, also.

The average 500 GB harddrive you told me to get as well, usually costs around 50-75$ for the part, right?
Usually. Just make sure your computer has an extra spot on the motherboard for it. And I'd try to go with the same type of hard drive you already have. For example, if the hard drive is a SATA hard drive, I'd try to buy a SATA to add-on with.

Usually. Just make sure your computer has an extra spot on the motherboard for it.

I think it does. Does that what the Dual-core means? Or I'm a moron?

And I'd try to go with the same type of hard drive you already have. For example, if the hard drive is a SATA hard drive, I'd try to buy a SATA to add-on with.

Allright, the one I'm looking at comes with SATA. I'll be sure to remember that.

fuck you Sly, my laptop is dying and is an old piece of shit and you are parading round with the fucking 1tb hdd. I am assuming it is a SATA form.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back