This thread brought to you courtesy of...

Slyfox696

Excellence of Execution
My brand new computer. Did I need it? Not even close. Do I love it? Without a doubt. Allow me to give you the specs.

Intel Core 2 Quad Core Processor
8 GB RAM
1 TB of Hard Drive space (yes, that's a TERABYTE of hard drive space)
15-in-1 Media Card reader
Wireless N card
DVD Burner
Blu-Ray Player
1.5 GB of dedicated graphics memory
DVI and HDMI video outputs
Free Windows 7 upgrade (when it's released)

Oh, yeah. I hooked this bad boy up to my 60" HDTV. I'm currently writing this message in full 1080p HD, on a 60 inch TV, from my couch, thanks to the wireless keyboard and mouse.

Needless to say, I'm quite a bit lighter in the pockets, but when you buy a computer that does everything but take a shit for you, one can't help but be pleased. Hell, the damn box says that it is "Elite".

Who am I to argue?

My brand new computer. Did I need it? Not even close. Do I love it? Without a doubt. Allow me to give you the specs.

8 GB RAM
Wireless N card
DVD Burner
Blu-Ray Player

Oh, yeah. I hooked this bad boy up to my 60" HDTV. I'm currently writing this message in full 1080p HD, on a 60 inch TV, from my couch, thanks to the wireless keyboard and mouse.

Needless to say, I'm quite a bit lighter in the pockets, but when you buy a computer that does everything but take a shit for you, one can't help but be pleased. Hell, the damn box says that it is "Elite".

Who am I to argue?

Very nice Slyfox, that is a very solid computer. That should last you quite awhile, or for at least 4-5 years which is a standard length of time a computer lasts. Did you build that yourself or did you get it from a manufacturer? Only thing that could make that baby more powerful is an i7 processor, but those things are god damn expensive right now so they're not cost effective.

While we're on the topic of computers and all that, I was able to obtain a legit full copy of Windows 7 Professional. My intern at work has a MSDN account through the college he goes to, they have Windows 7 Professional Full Retail Version available for download for free and 5 licenses to go with it. So he burned a copy for me, and now I'm working on getting it all set up. I must say ever since I used the Release Candidate, I've been very impressed with Windows 7.

8 GB RAM
Wireless N card
DVD Burner
Blu-Ray Player

Who am I to argue?

Did you build this or actually BUY it as is?

Congratulations and you are one lucky person.

I wish I had a computer like that.
Luck has nothing to do with it. Saving...and then spending...your money does.
Did you build this or actually BUY it as is?

Very nice Slyfox, that is a very solid computer. That should last you quite awhile, or for at least 4-5 years which is a standard length of time a computer lasts. Did you build that yourself or did you get it from a manufacturer?
Bought from Staples. Was on sale for $850.

http://www.staples.com/HP-Pavilion-...2764?cmArea=FEATURED:SC3:CG71:DP4119:CL161746

That's the link to the machine I bought.

Damn that is actually a very good deal Sly. Right now I'm rollin on a AMD X2 2.6 GHZ Dual Core Processor, 4 GBs of RAM, a 1 GB Video Card, and has to be over 1 TB of space between my two internal and four external Hard Drives. After my tax break comes next year I plan on upgrading to a Core 2 Quad, 8 GBs of RAM and add a 1.5 TB hard drive, and possibly a better video card. My motherboard is becoming fairly obsolete and I don't have enough SATA ports for all my drives I have.

It's where I used to work. Hell, if I had wanted, I could have just completely helped myself.

Right on... so would mine qualify as a solid computer? I have knowledge of computers, but not advanced knowledge. It'd be nice to have to qualified computer guys to determine how good or bad mine is.

Yea... I didn't pay 778 for it. Christmas sale..I paid 498.

And that system from Staples is BAD ass.

WEll, that's not near as bad then. You still could have done better (for starters, not gotten a Dell...I hate Dells, personally), but it isn't bad.

Do me a favor. Go to http://crucial.com and run the system scan there. See how many memory slots your computer has, and how many you are using.

Here are my results.

# Maximum Memory Capacity: 4096MB
# Currently Installed Memory: 3GB
# Available Memory Slots: 0
# Total Memory Slots: 4
# Dual Channel Support: Yes
# CPU Manufacturer: GenuineIntel
# CPU Family: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E7200 @ 2.53GHz Model 7, Stepping 6
# CPU Speed: 1600 MHz

Here are my results.

# Maximum Memory Capacity: 4096MB
# Currently Installed Memory: 3GB
# Total Memory Slots: 4
# Dual Channel Support: Yes
# CPU Manufacturer: GenuineIntel
# CPU Family: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E7200 @ 2.53GHz Model 7, Stepping 6
# CPU Speed: 1600 MHz
Then it sounds like your computer is pretty good for what most people need it for.

It's approximately what my last one is. Oh yeah, did I mention this earlier?

The new computer I just bought brings my total number of computers in my apartment to 7.

Why so many Sly?
I see no reason to throw them away when I'm finished with them. What's the point? It's much better to keep them and set them up to be used as test computers. That way if you blow them up, who cares?

I put the OpenSUSE Linux on one, set up a web server on another, one is my laptop, and I disassembled one to use parts out of it for others. They're useful when they're dead, so I keep them around.

I blew a load while reading those specs and the description of the setup. I may like technology, but I've never actually had much. I don't control the funds in my family. :(

My computer is shit...

# Maximum Memory Capacity: 1024MB
# Currently Installed Memory: 512MB
# Total Memory Slots: 2
# Dual Channel Support: No
# CPU Manufacturer: AuthenticAMD
# CPU Family: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2600+ Model 8, Stepping 1
# CPU Speed: 2079 MHz

It is 7 years old though...

Maximum Memory Capacity: 4096MB
Currently Installed Memory: 1.25GB