There's nothing wrong with a bit of comedy

In fact, I think we need more on our WWE TV shows. I don't know about you, but I watch wrestling to be entertained, I don't care how it comes, as long as I find it entertaining. The most entertaining moment of the past 12 months for me was that Dating Game with Ron Simmons on it. We don't get that sort of entertainment any more, we don't get 10 mins devoted to a comedy segment, which is a shame, because stuff like that is far more entertaining than some of the sub par matches we get these days.

Think about it, Mike Adamle is the perfect guy to stick in a few comedy segments, instead of having him in shit segments with Jericho that help neither character, stick him in a segment with Santino or Charlie Haas, just for a few laughs and to make the show more entertaining.

In fact, I think we need more on our WWE TV shows. I don't know about you, but I watch wrestling to be entertained, I don't care how it comes, as long as I find it entertaining. The most entertaining moment of the past 12 months for me was that Dating Game with Ron Simmons on it. We don't get that sort of entertainment any more, we don't get 10 mins devoted to a comedy segment, which is a shame, because stuff like that is far more entertaining than some of the sub par matches we get these days.

Think about it, Mike Adamle is the perfect guy to stick in a few comedy segments, instead of having him in shit segments with Jericho that help neither character, stick him in a segment with Santino or Charlie Haas, just for a few laughs and to make the show more entertaining.

I agree I dont just watch to see the matches, I like being entertained by comedy. I love Santinos promos because he makes me laugh every single time, and Charlie Haas's new gimmick makes me look foward to his match every week. So yes i agree with you that WWE should devote more time to comedy. It may just prove to boost ratings.

I also agree that comedy and comedy segments to each program have a meaningful place in the WWE, as they have for years.

Comedy can help to progress storylines, create ones, and just prove to be straight entertaining. Several guys on the roster can do so, and I think Santino is at the top of that list. Charlie Haas is another good example, but 2 guys in a huge roster isn't enough, since they don't always get the time they need.

Another loss in this area was Jericho turning heel and ditching the Y2J gimmick. He is perhaps one of the top guys ever to cut a promo, and he could get the fans into his humourous insults.

I think that the business right now is a bit to serious and they put too much into the matches and not enough into the storylines. I remember shows used to always end in a cliffhanger, making me want to watch the next weeks show, but recently this trend has died down.

I think the addition of more comedy segments could be very beneficial, as guys like Haas and Santino could openly mock their opponents before a match, rather than just in them.

Cool topic, and I wish this would get somewhere in the WWE.

I abosutely love the comedy segments in Raw. Hass, Santino, and now Khali are all contributing to the increasing amounts of hilarity on the show. However, I don't agree with you on needing more of them.

For one, I think there are already enough comedy segments. ECW has the Dirt Sheet, SD now has Khali, and Raw is already filled with several comedic characters. Its true that wrestling is about entertainment as much as wrestliing, but I have a feeling that having a show thats cluttered with them will only deminish ratings further. In the end, many people will still watch simply for the wrestling, and they need to make sure they are providing a healthy dose of good matches.

I'm already satisfied with the way comedy is used. I watch wrestling mainly to see alot of serious feuds and heated rivalries, but like you say, a little comedy isn't a bad thing.

Luther is right: bring back Ron Simmons Dating game!! that was the shiit!! :D

And again you're right, Luther. We need to see more quality comedy. Maybe that way ratings can recover a bit. JackAttack mentioned that maybe we have enough with Santino and Charlie Hass in RAW, Khali kiss cam in SD and the dirt sheet on ECW. Those are really good skits, but maybe we could have, as Luther said, segments solely devoted to comedy.

Take Charlie Hass as an example: his impersonations are GREAT! but as soon as the match starts, the magic is gone, he is squashed and we can only hope for next week to see a few seconds of Hass new character.

Ron Simmons DAMN segments were really great, and I think it's time for Ron to make a comeback.

I totally agree - I definitely enjoy watching the comedy segments when they appear! They have seemed to dwindle recently and I do think that, as much as I enjoy watching the matches etc, the show would be better with a little more happiness/laughter in place of advertising and the seemingly pointless segments. It may even wake me up more if I'm watching at silly time!

Comedy segments can be entertaining, but a majority of the segments the WWE provide us with just aren't that funny nowadays. Ron Simmons and Mike Adamle were funny. But Simmons barely appears on the show anymore and Adamle is now a serious General Manger of Raw. But quite frankly, we do receive comedy segments every week whether it be on Raw, Smackdown or ECW. Santino and Charlie Haas have been doing a great job in regards to comedy relief on Raw. On ECW, John Morrison and The Miz have been doing a good job with their Dirt Sheet segments which I personally find entertaining and sometimes funny. While the Khali Kiss Cam has gotten over quickly with the crowd and it is quite hilarious seeing a 7 foot man kissing an overweight lady on the Friday night show.

Having 10 minutes of comedy is definately enough for the weekly shows. They should only be used to provide a little filler break from the wrestling matches. Personally, I think Santino Marella is currently the funniest character in the entire WWE. Just Santino provides me with enough comedy segments on Raw. I think most WWE weekly shows should consist of at least some comedy, but not overkill. Look at Vince McMahon's Million Dollar Mania segments in June. He tried to be as funny and humerous as possible, but it failed miserably. Those segments were just a complete waste of time as they didn't gain any new viewers, nor did it provide memorable comedy segments and there were so many of them which made the situation worse.

I watch the WWE to be entertained. I don't really watch wrestling for the comedy segments. I'm more focused on the matches and the storylines themselves. Sure, comedy is vital to give the viewers a bit of a break from the matches and all the serious stuff, but they shouldn't be used as a feature. Comedy segments are mostly fillers, and thats how they should be. So Luther is correct in saying that theres nothing wrong at all with a bit of comedy every now and then, but no show should have more than 10 minutes of pure comedy.

Comedy skits are good when they're actually funny, which is very rare with today's WWE product. I mean, they have JOHN CENA, whose background is that of a rapper and Marine, calling JBL a Poo-poo head. Seriously, what the fuck is that shit? If that's the best those moron writers can come up with, then fuck comedy. That DX shit a couple of years ago was horrendous because of the lame comedy. WWE just doesn't have any good comedic writers.

The only really good comedy in WWE comes from the Dirt Sheet, and I'd be willing to bet my life Miz and Morrison are the one's the really write the skits (just like how Cena wrote his raps and how The Rock put his spin on his promos). However, with the exception of Santino pronouncing something in a ridiculous way every now and then, WWE programming never makes me chuckle. It makes me embarrassed to be a wrestling fan. Poo-poo head? Vince loves cock? Give me a fucking break. If that's WWE's comedic limit, then fuck comedy. I never want to hear a joke from that fucking company ever again.

Comedy skits are good when they're actually funny, which is very rare with today's WWE product. I mean, they have JOHN CENA, whose background is that of a rapper and Marine, calling JBL a Poo-poo head. Seriously, what the fuck is that shit? If that's the best those moron writers can come up with, then fuck comedy. That DX shit a couple of years ago was horrendous because of the lame comedy. WWE just doesn't have any good comedic writers.

The only really good comedy in WWE comes from the Dirt Sheet, and I'd be willing to bet my life Miz and Morrison are the one's the really write the skits (just like how Cena wrote his raps and how The Rock put his spin on his promos). However, with the exception of Santino pronouncing something in a ridiculous way every now and then, WWE programming never makes me chuckle. It makes me embarrassed to be a wrestling fan. Poo-poo head? Vince loves cock? Give me a fucking break. If that's WWE's comedic limit, then fuck comedy. I never want to hear a joke from that fucking company ever again.

Yeh I agree it's a little bit shameful when the comedy is so painfully geared towards a 7 year old. I love the subtle shoot comments they sometimes slip in that kids wouldn't understand lol The harder they try the more painful it is.

Selby

Its ok having a bit of entertainement (jokes) but its one thing using words like "poo-head". Whats the point of having to sit through "kiddies" entertainment? What happened to te days of sex,lies and cheating? Now that was entertaining.

Charlie Haas at the moment is the only decent "funny guy" he changes gimmicks everyweek and does'nt just reach out to the kids. He brings adults into the package of enjoyment

As for Santino his gimmick is childish but kinda funny is some ways, i personally don't like the guys gimmick but i respect his lame efforts at making people laugh.

And finally of course theres nothing wrong with a bit of fun as long as its aimed at the adults as well as 6 year olds

Yea i agree i like to see some comedy in wrestling but not to the extent raw does. First of all as many have mentioned we have to remember most comedy would be geared towards the kids since this is a "family friendly" show. As an example john cena calling JBL a "poo poo head". Now while i admit some of the dress ups hass does is funny not all of them are most are rather blah to me. But i did find his phoenix one entertaining. Santino and the Dirt Sheet are probably the only things that make me laugh in the WWE and the Dirt Sheet not always even since sometimes its downright stupid. I think raw is fine with just santino and hass i am glad they sent Khali to do his kiss cam on smackdown.

There should be an even mix of serious and funny on wwe tv. There shouldnt be an overload of comedy though. Comedy is important though Santino is big on the comedy and its works for him he has fans and even a fan club here on wz

I love comedy.....when it's done right. Not saying the WWE never does it right but "Poopy Head?" But I understand. It's for the kids in the audience. Like the person said before there should be a mix of comedy and seriousness in wrestling. Charlie Haas and Santino are doing a great job fulfilling the comedic relief in the WWE right now.

I see that I will have to chime in to be the voice of reason on this topic. You see, comedy is funny. It's meant to be funny. It comes off as funny. It's designed to be funny. So it's funny. WWE comedy is pretty much shit. Either they have people in comedic roles where thee don't fit or they put people in comedic roles that go one and on beyond the point where they were actually funny.

Take for instance this past Friday's Smackdown. The whole Brie Bella angle was okay when you saw Primo hitting on her, but then they backstage chase involving Jesse and Festus and Maria went on too long. It all reminded me of TNA booking when they first had their initial hour and how they felt a need to get all of the characters on camera no matter what. It was a complete clusterfuck that was really pointless. I mean how do you expect these wrestlers to be taken seriously, especially the tag team champs, if you constantly put them in bad comedy skits and scenes.

The problem is that the WWF is trying to recreate some of the fun that was born during the Attitude Era but in a new PG format. Well for one, they don't have the same players. You can't turn Jesse and Festus or Carlito and Primo into Edge and Christian for kids. And you can't take some other random star and recreate the singles stars from that era. The chemistry isn't there. The talent isn't there. Hell the chairsma definitely isn't there. They need to take what they have and go a separate direction with it and help it to win back it's credibility. Otherwise, it will just be sad and pathetic attempts at bad comedy. Oh wait, it already is.

I see that I will have to chime in to be the voice of reason on this topic. You see, comedy is funny. It's meant to be funny. It comes off as funny. It's designed to be funny. So it's funny. WWE comedy is pretty much shit. Either they have people in comedic roles where thee don't fit or they put people in comedic roles that go one and on beyond the point where they were actually funny.

Take for instance this past Friday's Smackdown. The whole Brie Bella angle was okay when you saw Primo hitting on her, but then they backstage chase involving Jesse and Festus and Maria went on too long. It all reminded me of TNA booking when they first had their initial hour and how they felt a need to get all of the characters on camera no matter what. It was a complete clusterfuck that was really pointless. I mean how do you expect these wrestlers to be taken seriously, especially the tag team champs, if you constantly put them in bad comedy skits and scenes.

The problem is that the WWF is trying to recreate some of the fun that was born during the Attitude Era but in a new PG format. Well for one, they don't have the same players. You can't turn Jesse and Festus or Carlito and Primo into Edge and Christian for kids. And you can't take some other random star and recreate the singles stars from that era. The chemistry isn't there. The talent isn't there. Hell the chairsma definitely isn't there. They need to take what they have and go a separate direction with it and help it to win back it's credibility. Otherwise, it will just be sad and pathetic attempts at bad comedy. Oh wait, it already is.

I agree that those segments you listed are a little stupid, but who cares? You have to ignore those little annoyances, which is all they are. If you let something like that piss you off, then you need to start overlooking them.

Carlito and Primo likely won't be taken seriously anyway because of their gimmicks. Besides, hitting on the ladies is exactly what you would expect from them, so I don't see the problem with that. Again, if stuff like that bothers someone, they can just change the channel until its over.

Besides, I'm pretty sure that most of the people on this thread are reffering to the Santino, Haas, and Khali segments. Those are funny, which I don't think anyone can deny. They might be a bit overdone, but they do their job, which is to provide comic relief.

Yes, there is nothing with a bit of comedy but I think RAW has enough comedy to get by.

RAW has Santino who is pretty damn funny and they have Charlie Haas who pretends to be other people which is pretty funny aswell if done right. I don't think anything needs to be done to the comedy department of RAW it's fine how it is. Two comedy acts in two hours, good enough.

SmackDown/ECW on the other hand, I don't really find anything on SmackDown/ECW to be funny. They need something that actually is funny instead of stupid Hornswoggle on ECW or where ever he is. I went to a SmackDown/ECW show earlier this year and there were no real funny segments except Hornswoggle stealing Miz's hat which I didn't find funny. The only exception could be the Khali stuff.

I agree that those segments you listed are a little stupid, but who cares? You have to ignore those little annoyances, which is all they are. If you let something like that piss you off, then you need to start overlooking them.

Carlito and Primo likely won't be taken seriously anyway because of their gimmicks. Besides, hitting on the ladies is exactly what you would expect from them, so I don't see the problem with that. Again, if stuff like that bothers someone, they can just change the channel until its over.

Besides, I'm pretty sure that most of the people on this thread are reffering to the Santino, Haas, and Khali segments. Those are funny, which I don't think anyone can deny. They might be a bit overdone, but they do their job, which is to provide comic relief.

Well for one, it wasn't just the repeated segment of them hitting on Bella(yeah, we fucking know they are twins by now). It was the whole chase scene back and forth. It was a clusterfuck and looked thought of at the last minute. And Santino isn't funny to me. Well he is from time to time, but he can be funny WITHOUT bringing down the value of the IC title. Haas jumped the shark this week and now his act is extremely old. He does very little work to get these imitations over and just looks pathetic now. I was actually glad when he got tossed out of the ring at the beginning. It meant I didn't have to watch the sad scene any longer than I the initial surprise. I'll give youKahli though.

Thing is that when TNA did repeated comedy skits, it was looked at as being unecessary. And tey were actually funny. But now that WWE does it, it's either overlooked or not even mentioned. And I'm not saying that Sho Funaki is a Cena level wrestler, but WTF man. KUNG Funaki? That's the best they could come up with? Helms is a great wrestler who could at least be out jobbing and his has been doing the HURRAPOP now for HOW many weeks? It's like creative just used the first thing that comes to mind without thinking whether it makes sense or not.

It's to the point of where i have not missed even ONE episode of weak season of Heroes this season or Everybody Hates Chris. That way, I can TIVO skip through all of the nonesense. I used to fall asleep during WWE programing. Now I just try to find other things to watch during those times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back