There Is Nothing Wrong With The Hall Of Fame

TUFFY54

Getting Noticed By Management
Lots of people don't like the WWE Hall Of Fame. They claim it's biased and doesn't mean anything. Most people even go so far as to call it a joke. I don't understand why. In my opinion, there is nothing wrong with the Hall of Fame. Before we get into the negatives, lets take a look at who is in it.

Original Members
Andre The Giant
Arnold Skaaland
Bobo Brazil
Buddy Rogers
Chief Jay Strongbow
Freddie Blassey
Gorilla Monsoon
James Dudley
Antonio Rocca
Ernie Ladd
George The Animale Steele
Ivan Putski
The Fabulous Moolah
The Grand Wizard
Pedro Morales
Baron Mikel Scicluna
Lou Albano
Jimmy Snuka
Johnny Rodz
Killer Kowalski
Pat Patterson
The Valiant Brothers
Vincent J McMahon

Questionable Members: Johnny Rodz. Rodz is someone that a lot of people think shouldn't be in the Hall Of Fame because he was mostly a jobber. However, he was with the company of twenty years, and went on the train many wrestlers.

Big John Studd
Don Muraco
Greg The Hammer Valentine
Harley Race
Jesse The Body Ventura
Junkyard Dog
Sgt. Slaughter
Superstar Billy Graham
Tito Santana
Bobby Heenan
Pete Rose-Celebrity Wing

Questionable Memebers- If you ignore the Celebrity Wing, none.

Hulk Hogan
Roddy Piper
Bob Orton
Jimmy Hart
Paul Orndorff
Nikolia Volkoff
Iron Sheik

Questionable Members- None.

Bret Hart
Eddie Guerrero
Mean Gene Okerlund
Sensational Sherri
Verne Gagne
Tony Atlas
The Blackjacks
William The Refigerator Perry - Celebrity Wing

Questionable Members - If you ignore the Celebrity Wing, none.

Dusty Rhodes
Mr. Perfect
Jerry Lawler
Nick Bockwinkel
Mr. Fuji
The Sheik
Jim Ross
Wild Samoans

Ric Flair
Peter Maivia
Rocky Johnson
Mae Young
Eddie Graham
Gordon Solie
Brisco Brothers

Questionable Members- None.

Steve Austin
Ricky Steamboat
Bill Watts
Koko B. Ware
Howard Finkel
The Funks
The Von Erichs

Questionable Members - Koko B. Ware. Ware didn't really have a Hall of Fame career. However, he was popular and brought some diversity into the Hall.

Ted DiBiase
Antonio Inoki
Wendie Richter
Mad Dog Vachon
Gorgeous George
Stu Hart
Bob Uecker - Celebrity Wing

Questionable Members - If you ingore the Celebrity Wing, none.

So there is everyone who has been inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame. It's damn near every great superstar to ever lace a pair of boots. There have been 88 inducties in the Hall of Fame, and only a couple are questionable. Thats a hell of a lot better than most hall of fames.

When people complane about the Hall of Fame, they usually complane about who's not in it. Lets take a look at the four biggest names missing from that list.

Bruno Sammartino - Bruno belongs in the Hall of Fame more than anyone. Unfortunatly, he refuses to go. He has been asked many times and keeps turning it down.

Bob Backlund - Another great wrestler who has turned down the offter to be in the Hall of Fame

Ultimate Warrior - Has also refused entree into the hall.

Randy Savage - We have all heard the rumors. None of us know the truth. Not worth gossiping over. However, he will probably end up there now that he is working with the WWE again.

What is Vince supposed to do with people that refuse to be inducted? He can't force them to be in the Hall. All of these people belong in the Hall of Fame, and hopefully they will get there one day. However, you can't say that the Hall is worthless because a few people don't want to be in it. There are other people who deserve to be in the Hall who aren't in yet, but they probably will be soon. There are hundereds of great wrestlers and the modern hall has only been around for 7 years.

Overall, the WWE Hall Of Fame includes the vast majority of the greatest wrestlers and wrestling associates of the past 100 years. Most of the all time greats are members, and even the lesser names made great contributions to the sport. It really is the most prestigious group of people in the wrestling business.

There is nothing wrong with the WWE Hall Of Fame.

You make an excellent point and I agree. I think the WWE HoF is an actual honor and the tributes they create for the inductees each year are really well done. I do actually think the so-called "Celebrity Wing" is just fine, as it recognizes the folks outside of the wrestling business who helped draw in more fans. The Pete Rose induction was a joke (and keep in mind, I'm from Cincinnati and love Pete and the Reds) both otherwise I think it's a worthwhile addition as long as they don't do it every year.

I Personally dont have anything against the Hall Of Fame, its a great honour for is members to be inducted and this is good to give satisfaction to Superstars, they are selling immortality with the HoF.

However i dont like old school!! I respect them, but i hate Old School!!
Old School is good in the way that have lead Pro Wrestling, to what it is now.
There are a huge difference between the WCW to WWF/E!!

I am a guy that loves the PG era, and i have seen the Attitude one... :worship: in my opinion HBK, isnt the greatest of the greats, Triple H is, only because he acts a little better than HBK and have that badass look, which represents WWF/E :rolleyes:

Yeh, I agree with you as well. The WWE is doing just fine with it's Hall of Fame. They've built it up to be a big part of their biggest weekend of the year and it's paid off well. People get almost as excited to find out who's getting inducted as they do about the shaping of the Wrestlemania card.

And for the non-believers, go watch Bobby Heenan and the Rocks induction speeches... I'd create a Hall of Fame for Heenan's speech alone.

You make a buch of great of points.

Something I've noticed about wrestling fans is they seem to have a very "us against them" mentality when it comes to the buisness. They hate when people outside of the buisness get involved without being as die hard as most. This is why I think alot of people shit on WWE's Hall Of Fame. They see a few celebrities in there and automatically write the whole thing off. In reality, who cares if they're there. Not that big a deal. Of course there is always the controversial induction of Koko B Ware, but remember guys, WWE isn't an official sports league and wrestling isn't a sport. The company is entertainment based and they can and will induct anyone they feel has given something unique/valuable to the buisness.

I'm glad you brought up the names that people like to bitch about not being there; those men have refused the Hall of Fame, WWE isn't excluding them. At the end of the day, there is nothing wrong with WWE's Hall of Fame. Anyone should consider themselves lucky to manage to earn a spot in there.

great post! great words from Tuffy. i agree about the hall of fame. i think it is great. it has become a moment of excitement (atleast for me) to see who is going to be put into the hall of fame. there are countless wrestlers and tag teams (rock and roll express) i'd like to see put into the hall and it is a great bar/water cooler topic conversation for people who we think should be put in. (with the occasion wise ass who tries to argue for the Godfather and Akeem).

I dont have a problem with the HOF I have a problem with fans that constantly want to exclude wrestlers from the HOF cause so and so has never wrestled in the WWE, if vince wants certain wrestlers in his HOF then thats it case closed he has the final say so, not overly opinionated fans.

I really agree wholeheartedly with you Tuffy.

I think the WWE Hall of Fame, for the most part has done a good job in recognizing legendary figures in the wrestling industry.

Of course they're still missing people, but what fun is a HOF if they induct every single worthy person in one class? Just have one class and be done with it? Yeah that's a lot of fun.

The thing is sure, there's plenty more people that deserve to be in but aren't yet. People like the Legion of Doom (who are rumored to be going in this year), Rick Rude, Jake Roberts, Owen Hart, Brian Pillman, the British Bulldogs, Demolition, Sting, etc. And of course the big four in Bruno, Backlund, Warrior, and Macho Man. But as you pointed out, Bruno, Bob, and the Ultimate Warrior have all turned down being inducted, so really the only person to blame in not being in the HOF is themselves. Randy Savage is the only one that is a true travesty that he's not in. And I don't care if the Savage/Steph rumors are true or not, he deserves induction and has deserved it for a long time. Although we don't know for sure if they've offered him the induction and he turned it down. I've never heard any such reports (unlike with Bruno, Bob and the Warrior), but it's always possible.

But anyways, the only argument about the HOF not being any good is the people that still aren't in and the fact that there's not a real HOF building.

As for the first argument against the HOF's legitimacy, as you accurately pointed out, the WWE HOF really hasn't been around that long, meaning it hasn't really had that many induction years, especially compared to other HOF's. The NFL, NBA and MLB HOF's have been around for over 60 years each. In music, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame has been around for 25 years, the Country Music Hall of Fame has been around since the early '60s, the Grammy Hall of Fame has been inducting songs and albums since the early '70s. And the Hollywood Walk of Fame has been around since I believe the '50's. So most of your major HOF's have had anywhere from 25-70 induction classes. The WWE HOF has only had 11 classes (not counting this year's), and the first class only had one inductee (Andre the Giant), so really it's only had 10 "real" induction classes.

And as long as the other HOF's have been around, all of those HOF's still have big snubs. I don't really know as much about the HOF's to give you lists, but for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, there are plenty of true legends and icons of music who have yet to be inducted, even though the HOF has been around for 25 years now. Legendary artists like the Moody Blues, the Monkees, Jethro Tull, Deep Purple, T. Rex, Roxy Music, Kraftwerk, Rush, KISS, the New York Dolls, The Cars, The Cure, Joy Division, Depeche Mode, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Peter Gabriel, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, the Beastie Boys, the Smiths, and plenty more have yet to be inducted into the RNRHOF. And many of those artists mentioned have been eligible for at least 10-12 years.

So considering how much shorter the WWE HOF has been around compared to others, and considering their lists of major snubs is much smaller, yeah Tuffy's point is true, the WWE HOF is really doing a helluva lot better than most other HOF's.

And the other argument about the HOF not having a legitimate building yet, thus it's not a true HOF, well that argument really isn't all that valid either because many HOF's including the RNRHOF existed for years without an actual legitimate building. The RNRHOF started inducting artists in 1986, but the official HOF building wasn't built and open to the public until 1995.

Plus, there are many reports that WWE is planning on building an actual HOF building at some point. There has even been talk in recent months about WWE possibly putting it in Orlando. I would bet money that WWE will have an official HOF building within the next decade. That would be the ultimate pinnacle of their whole "Legends" division (marketing-wise).

I don't even have a problem with the "celebrity wing" of the HOF. Celebrities have long played a major role in WWE's evolution as an early territorial wrestling company into a world-wide global corporation. Celebrities such as Cyndi Lauper, Muhammad Ali, Mr. T, Lawrence Taylor, and Mike Tyson have all done a lot to get WWE more mainstream exposure than it would have otherwise gotten, which is a big contribution to WWE's growth as a company. So I do feel that it's nice for WWE to pay homage to some of the celebrities that have either done a lot for the company (in exposing it to mainstream pop culture) (ala Mr. T, Cyndi Lauper, Mike Tyson, etc.), or been consistent performers for the company and participated in quite a few WWE events (Bob Ucker, Pete Rose, Muhammad Ali, etc.). I have no problem with the celebrity wing.

I would like to someday see Sylvester Stallone, Mr. T, Cyndi Lauper, Lawrence Taylor, and Mike Tyson inducted in this wing. Cyndi Lauper helped spawn the Rock N' Wrestling Connection which kickstarted WWE's golden age in the '80s. Mr. T continued that and helped make Wrestlemania a huge pop culture phenomenon. He was so huge at the time that his involvement really put WWE and even Hulk Hogan over. Sylvester Stallone has long been an advocate for professional wrestling as he has used professional wrestlers in quite a few of his films (from Terry Funk in Paradise Alley, to Hulk Hogan in Rocky III, to even recently with Steve Austin in the Expendables). There have been quite a few stories of people on the set of his films making fun of wrestlers, only for Sylvester to put them in their place basically and ultimately get them to respect wrestlers and wrestling in general. Lawrence Taylor put on (until Floyd Mayweather anyway) the best match a celebrity has ever been involved in with Bam Bam Bigelow. And Mike Tyson's role in starting the Attitude Era was as big IMO as Mr. T's role in making Wrestlemania a success. Mike Tyson was the most famous boxer and one of the most famous athletes in the world at the time, and he fit in perfectly with WWE's new edgy product. His involvement, I think may have been the best use of a celebrity in wrestling history.

But anyways, I also think WWE has really made their HOF even better in the last few years, as they have really tried to branch out beyond just WWE and include wrestlers from all territories and eras, whether they had anything to do with WWE or not. From Verne Gagne, to Nick Bockwinkel, to the original Shiek, to Gorgeous George, to Gordon Solie, to Eddie Graham, to Antonio Inoki, WWE has really went out to make their HOF, not just a WWE HOF, but a true full fledged professional wrestling HOF.

I think the WWE HOF is a great institution, and I think once they get an official building and can finally get Bruno, Bob , and the Warrior to accept inductions, along with of course the long overdue induction of Randy Savage, then the HOF will be seen as much more legitimate than it currently is. Even though it's fine and is a good HOF.

I agree. I have always been a supporter of the HOF. It may not mean what the HOF means in sports like the NFL, MLB and NBA. But to me it means something. I am not saying I live and die by it. But I think it is a cool accolade to give to guys that deserve it, in their later days of life after they have already left the ring.

I think there are guys that have been snubbed so far. In a way it is understandable, but hopefully time heals all wounds and guys like Warrior and Savage get in. Other guys you would figure as locks, Bob Backlund and Bruno Sammartino are yet to get in.

I don't think it is a disgrace for guys like Koko B. Ware to get in. But, I think if they are considered Legends and had careers "famous" enough for this accolade, then so are guys that may not be popular with WWE (Vince) at this point. But more importantly than that, they DESERVE to be in.

A guy I am pulling for to get in is "Ravishing" Rick Rude. I will not go into his achievements and all that, I have done that elsewhere. I think when guys like Savage and Warrior are not going to be inducted yet... A guy like Rick Rude may have done less as far as World Titles goes, but he deserves it just as much as anyone already in, AND he deserves it compared to guys like Savage and Warrior too.

So Rick Rude being apart of the HOF and also the actual ceremony in general, gives credibility to it because even though your main guys didn't get in yet, you CAN'T argue with Rick Rude's induction and how much he deserves it.

I also want to point our something about the whole "he was never in the WWE/F" argument. Keep in mind that WWE owns not only the right to old WWF footage, but to old WCW, ECW and AWA footage as well as footage I'm not able to remember. I don't think it's the accomplishments of someone in the WWE/F itself, but how the individual shaped the business. Verne Gagne is a perfect example of this. Sure, he and Vince barely got along (to put it so so mildly) but some of WWE's greatest icons (Hulk Hogan, Curt Hennig, Gene Oakerlund, Bobby Heenan and Shawn Michaels) all got their start in the AWA and Gagne had a big part of that.

I've noticed no one who has replied yet has disagreed with any of this (unless, of course, it was posted while I wrote this) and I'm totally interested in hearing other opinions although in the words of The Beatles "it's nothing to get hung about". :)

I have no problem with the WWE Hall of Fame. To me it's a grander version of when a single sports team retires the jersey or immortalizes one of its legends. However, what I don't like is when fans act like a guy's legacy is somehow tarnished by not being inducted. Does it really f'n matter? When I look back on Savage or Warrior my memories are no less fond or nostalgic because of the trivial issues regarding their HOF inductions.

Also frustrating is when the WWE fans forget that their HOF does not represent pro wrestling as a whole. The issue with Sting is obviously the best example of this and I'm sure all of the recent chatter about Sting is what inspired Tuffy54 made this post to begin with. It's pathetic to hear people criticize Sting for not going to the WWE and try to act like he somehow needs the WWE HOF to solidify his status.

It's sad that fans will chant "YOU SOLD OUT" about a wrestling storyline but then want Steve Borden to sell out in real life and go to the WWE despite his convictions. He's easily the biggest star to never get a paycheck from Vince McMahon, and that is part of his legacy that many of his real fans like most. He's said for years that WCW died the minute his match with Flair ended on the final Nitro and I love him for standing by that.

Not trying to hijack the thread and turn it into a Sting debate, but just exemplifying my view. There is no problem with the WWE Hall of Fame, but there is a problem in how many WWE fans perceive it and the role it plays in wrestlers' legacies.

I agree as well and I've brought up similar points, especially regarding wrestlers that've been invited to join only to turn it down, in past threads. I've got no problem with the WWE Hall of Fame at all because it does honor wrestlers and personalities that helped build not just the WWE but wrestling in general.

The WWE, and by WWE I mean Vince McMahon personally, does have a history of attempting to rewrite history. If it was up to Vince, the WWE would be the only wrestling company in the history of North America and he sometimes is accused of viewing his company as being the only company that's ever mattered. Some draw such a conclusion by the fact that the HOF does sometimes include people that were never prominent features in WWE. While I do think Vince does sometimes try to take things a bit too much to hype his own company, I think back on some of Chris Jericho's recent comments about TNA. Vince views his company as the greatest in the world and of all time and, you know what, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that whatsoever. The WWE Hall of Fame has grown more into something of an overall professional wrestling hall of fame.

There are always going to be people that should be put into the HOF that don't get put into it, that goes for any HOF no matter what it's for. There are also, at times, going to be people that you might not personally think deserve to be in or belong in it. However, the way I look at it, that's just completely natural. You're obviously gonna like some better than others for any number of reasons and think so & so should go in before what's his name. That's just life and it's like that with everything, not just WWE or wrestling in general.

I have no problem with the WWE Hall of Fame. To me it's a grander version of when a single sports team retires the jersey or immortalizes one of its legends. However, what I don't like is when fans act like a guy's legacy is somehow tarnished by not being inducted. Does it really f'n matter? When I look back on Savage or Warrior my memories are no less fond or nostalgic because of the trivial issues regarding their HOF inductions.

Also frustrating is when the WWE fans forget that their HOF does not represent pro wrestling as a whole. The issue with Sting is obviously the best example of this and I'm sure all of the recent chatter about Sting is what inspired Tuffy54 made this post to begin with. It's pathetic to hear people criticize Sting for not going to the WWE and try to act like he somehow needs the WWE HOF to solidify his status.

It's sad that fans will chant "YOU SOLD OUT" about a wrestling storyline but then want Steve Borden to sell out in real life and go to the WWE despite his convictions. He's easily the biggest star to never get a paycheck from Vince McMahon, and that is part of his legacy that many of his real fans like most. He's said for years that WCW died the minute his match with Flair ended on the final Nitro and I love him for standing by that.

Not trying to hijack the thread and turn it into a Sting debate, but just exemplifying my view. There is no problem with the WWE Hall of Fame, but there is a problem in how many WWE fans perceive it and the role it plays in wrestlers' legacies.

Actually, thinking about who was going to be inducted into the Hall of Fame tonight got me thinking about this. I could really give a damn whether Sting is ever in the Hall of Fame. I agree that not being in the Hall doesn't do anything to the legacies of Savage or Warrior, but the Hall is the issue at hand. And it sure was hell doesn't have anything to do with Sting.

Well Its time for me to Say the facts as the world knows, Macro555 or whatever you call yourself, in those few sentences you showed me that you know nothing about this buisness. HBK not the greatest? OlD school sucks? I love the pg era? You obviously missed the attitude era cause if you had "seen it" you would not have said that. The "old school" is the foundation of this buiness. And Barry Horriblewitz is way better than the wannabe Drew. Enough of this candy ass gibroni. The hall of fame is legit cause vince says who goes and he runs this industry and he knows it better than anybody.. All those people including the celebs deserve to be there. Unlike some other hall of fames. Like hate it but get over it, Im right and you are wrong.

I applaud your research and the point made. Well done. I happen to agree that there's absolutely nothing wrong with the Hall of Fame, provided one actually looks at it for what it is.

The name should make it pretty darn self-explanatory. Hall of Fame = the most famous of the famous. What they did to get there is inconsequential. They got there. There are those who are famous for their win/loss record, those who are famous because of their performance ability, those who are famous because of what they were willing to put themselves through, and those who were famous for causing the most controversy. No matter how they made it, they made it, even the celebs. That's why I've got no problem with the non-wrestlers that made it. They made it in the context of wrestling, which is good enough for me.

I get a little irked when the WWE HoF is referred to as a joke given that, if this is the case, you might as well call the Baseball HoF or the Rock n' Roll HoF a joke as well. All of them are based on favoritism because it's the favorites that get famous. There's no avoiding it.

That being said, each is entitled to his/her opinions. If they want to see one HoF as a joke and another as totally legit, that is an opinion they can hold. Just so long as they are prepared to deal with the fact that I hold the opinion that they are idiots.

If it's even to be taken seriously you don't ask then accept who will go in. You have people (not one person) select who should go in then announce it, if they don't want to show up then they don't have to but they still get in.

There are no standards to who should be except saying yes, they don't have to be retired for x amounts of years, don't have to be a champion or even good just have to be able to show up to get your ring.

No one will take it serious, imagine if the Baseball hall of fame or NFL HOF was run this way. The Comish gets to choose who gets in and they don't even have to be retired just who they feel like letting in at said time and the baseball comish doesn't like Mantle so he's out but likes Bobby Bonilla so he's in ...

it's good for tv that's it.. It's not the wrestling hof it's the Vince Mcmahon hall of who he likes and can get to show up.

The baseball HOF is a joke also, how can a guy get in 20 years after first being nominated? Did he strike out more people or hit more homeruns no. The HOFs should be voted on by the people who are in there, not the people who write about it or own it but the athletes who are in there. It should be simple when you are eligable then the hofers vote and if you get enough you get in if not then you don't and after 3 years if you don't get in your will never.

I do wish there wasn't a celebrity wing but then again this is about entertainment & not an actual sport so I can't say too much bad about it.

Since a lot of it has to do with marketing & bringing in money, it's not that surprising that some big names aren't in yet.

I have no problem with the HOF, however I am sad that some people are not in it. I never knew that the people mentioned like Bruno and Warrior refused their right into the HOF. I hope that eventually they can put aside their differences because I think that they deserve to be there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back