There is nothing to gain from Hendo vs Fedor.

JenksIX

Pre-Show Stalwart
I watched Strikeforc tonight and I enjoyed the 4-Fight show. I didn't watch the first fight which was over in no time. Mousasi vs Jardine was a decent fight, though Mousasi should of easily won. Melendez destroyed the Japanese fighter and he landed some outstanding shots. I like to pull for Japanese fighters due to the current situation of the their country, but for some reason they never really seem to dominate in companies like SF or UFC. And tonight was no different. Melendez completely dominated his japanese opponent.

In the heavyweight bout, I was glad to see Nick Diaz beat Paul "Cheapshot" Daley. If there are two guys I like to see fight in SF, it's Nick and Fedor. Going by pre-fight interviews, I kind of felt Nick was starting to lose interest in MMA. He seems like someone who found it hard to live without money, but now that he has money and experience, he feels he can take care of himself and doesn't need MMA in order to live. Anyway, his fighting style is pretty nerve racking if your rooting for him because he doesn't keep his hands up and he likes to talk shit the whole time. It's hard to tell when he's playing possum and when he's truly hurt. Anyway, he won his fight by nice shots to the body and the head and I look forward to his future fights and I hope he stays motivated in MMA.

Anyway, I heard SF mention a super fight rumor about Hendo(Dan Henderson) facing some Heavyweight and I checked into it and found it might be a Hendo vs Fedor super fight. I don't think either man really gains from this fight and I personally don't want to see it.

Dan Henderson is like 40 years old and if he beats Fedor, he does it while Fedor is on a 2 loss streak against non-UFC fighters like Werdum/Silva.
If Fedor wins, people will just say Hendo is old.

If there is any light-heavyweight I want to see Fedor fight, it's Jon Jones.
Tonight, SF had a poll about UFC vs'ing SF fighters and fans voted 96% in favor of crossover fights betwen the two brands.

Anyway, I have no desire to see Fedor fight anyone else in SF. I don't think Strikeforce motivates Fedor and I feel he still has a alot left in the tank, only in his mid thirties. As for Hendo, he has lost fights to UFC guys less then unbeatable and I really wouldn't consider him stellar due to his age. He might be capable of beating anyone, but it's far from probable.

I would not mind of SF continued to throw SF fighters at Hendo, but not
Fedor. I want to see Fedor vs'ing top competition once again and by that I mean, UFC Light/Heavyweight champions and contenders. Guys like Velasquez, Jon Jones, Anderson Silva, Brock, Dos Santos, and possibly even Randy Couture, so he can end his career finally have fighting Fedor.

Also, UFC/SF "superfights" don't excite me that much. Edgar vs Milindez is eh, lets see Maynard/Edgar 3 first.

I don't think Overeem is a a dominant Heavyweight champion, he's lost like 10 times in his career including a loss to LHWChuck Liddell. So I don't care about Overeem vs Velasquez. I feel Velasquez would most likely win.

And I wouldn't want to see Diaz vs GSP, especially after GSP vs Shields.
I rather see Shields/ Diaz vs someone like Anderson Silva, as well as them vs Silva then GSP since they are taller.

In closing, I am very excited with MMA right now and I'm glad Zuffa purchased Strikeforce. I think TUF has lost it's steam and needs something like this. I don't think SF has the an abundance of talent, but they do have good pieces like Fedor(extremely valuable), NiDiaz, Melendez, and Mayhem Miller etc.

Also, I think the upcoming UFC cards after the next PPV, GSP VS Shields, are pretty shitty. So I can't wait for UFC/SF start really working together.

One thing you're wrong about is the benefits of Fedor taking this fight and potentially winning it. Henderson, coming of some damn impressive performances as of late, is by most fans considered one of the best light-heavyweights currently in the world and a solid arguement can be made for him being at a legendary status associated with guys like Fedor and Silva. etc. The point being is that despite age, Henderson is still one of the best in his division and would propel Fedor back to statistical relevancy, so Fedor will benefit greatly if he puts him away.

One thing you're wrong about is the benefits of Fedor taking this fight and potentially winning it. Henderson, coming of some damn impressive performances as of late, is by most fans considered one of the best light-heavyweights currently in the world and a solid arguement can be made for him being at a legendary status associated with guys like Fedor and Silva. etc. The point being is that despite age, Henderson is still one of the best in his division and would propel Fedor back to statistical relevancy, so Fedor will benefit greatly if he puts him away.

Yeah, if Fedor beats him it does mean something being as how Hendo is a legend and is one of the best light-heavyweights even at his age, but I don't think Fedor needs to prove anything, being that he's Fedor.

I like Fedor and Henderson which is probably why I don't want to see this fight. If Fedor wins, I don't like where that leaves Hendo. I don't think Fedor needs to go after the SF LHW title.

And if Henderson wins, it leaves Fedor at 0-3 and Fedor has already made mention of retirement.

Dan Henderson is a beatable champion. He has had some wins lately but no one extremely notable. He's beaten guys like Bisping, Babulu, and Franklin and lost to the #1 contender in the 170 lb division(Jake Shields.) And before them, he lost to Anderson Silva and Quinton Jackson.

I think Henderson would be better used to test the up and coming LHW's like Gegard Mousasi. Unless SF is doing this to try and put the belt on Fedor so he stays in SF as the reigning LHW champ.

I had thought this was Fedor's last contractual fight(Hendo), but his last fight with Silva was the end of his 3-Fight contract. I wonder what his contract is like now, because if he has no contract with SF he can compete in UFC. I suppose he must of signed a one fight contract(at least) recently cause it seems he WILL be facing Hendo, in July.

Eh, it should be a good fight, but I really don't want to see Fedor lose. Also I would have liked to have gotten him in against one of the dominant champions in UFC such as Jones, Silva, or Velasquez to really test those guys as well as motivate Fedor because those guys seem unbeatable right now and Fedor is a guy who was unbeatable for like 30 fights, most of them being against bigger men.

Like the nature boy says, "To be the man, you gotta beat the man" and in my opinion, The Last Emperor IS the man when your talking about P4P best in MMA. He might appear human now, but I believe he still has a good bit left in the tank when faced with the right opponent. Maybe that's why SF is matching him up with Hendo, maybe they think it will light a fire under him.
I like the idea, just not the opponent.

I don't know what his motivation is like or any of that, but I think he's been wasting away in SF being put against guys like Brett Rogers and Fabricio Werdum. I think Fedor was over confident his last two fights because he was just swinging for the fences in his fights with Werdum and Silva. He appeared to have actually been able to escape Werdum's triangle but he was trying to go for the kill (he knocked him down within seconds of the match) instead of watching out for the submission.

In closing, I take nothing away from Hendo. He IS a Legend and he is currently a top light heavyweight, I would rather not see the two square off because it could be the last we see of either and I feel their are a number of more suitable opponents for the two.

Mousasi is the only contender in SF at this moment, and he just had a less than stellar performance against Jardine. I like Mousasi very much, but he needs to work on many things before he gets another title shot.

SF has no contenders. Fedor is a big name. That's pretty much all there is to it. You can't avoid fights because some people will be sad with the loser. Who else can Hendo fight? That's how I look at it. Did you also say the UFC PPV's after 129 are weak? What the fuck? 130 has Edgar/Maynard, Rampage/Hamil, Mir/Nelson, and a bunch of great other little fights. 131 has tons of fantastic fights on it. 132 looks fantastic on paper, not to mention UFC Rio which is rumored to have Silva/Okami for the title on it. Come on man that was a completely asinine statement.

Did you also say the UFC PPV's after 129 are weak? What the fuck? 130 has Edgar/Maynard, Rampage/Hamil, Mir/Nelson, and a bunch of great other little fights. 131 has tons of fantastic fights on it. 132 looks fantastic on paper, not to mention UFC Rio which is rumored to have Silva/Okami for the title on it. Come on man that was a completely asinine statement.

Yeah, I always make some sort of statment like this. Sometimes I put more importance on the outcome of a fight, then the fight itself. Like I said in my thread about which fighters are a draw for you to watch, the best matches to me are when someone who seems unbeatable is involved. I like Bisping and Sonnen, but I don't think the fight means much, even though it'd probably be great trash talking and maybe a good fight. Anyway, I shouldn't have said weak, I just get siked to see certain fights. I'm going to rate these matches to see which ones I'm looking forward too.

Btw, no matter how great their fights, I can't get into matches 170 and below, aside from GSP. I feel like the 155 and below can carry on their matches for years and can take like 500 punches. That being said, I enjoyed Edgar Maynard 2. It was a good fight. But If they were 185, maybe even 170+, I don't think Edgar could of taken the punishment he did the first round and continued for five more rounds. If I don't care about a fight I will probably give it 2/10 because the fight could be/will be entertaining, but I just am not into it.

UFC 129
Welterweight Championship bout: Georges St-Pierre (c) vs. Jake Shields 9/10
Featherweight Championship bout: José Aldo (c) vs. Mark Hominick 2/10
I never heard of Hominick. This will probably be a good fight, but the outcome doesn't mean much to me.
Light Heavyweight bout: Vladimir Matyushenko vs. Jason Brilz 2/10
Light Heavyweight bout: Randy Couture vs. Lyoto Machida 9/10
Don't like match up, but gotta see the fight.
Lightweight bout: Mark Bocek vs. Ben Henderson 2/10

UFC 130
Frankie Edgar (c) vs. Gray Maynard 5/10
Light Heavyweight bout: Quinton Jackson vs. Matt Hamill 8/10
Someone on the way down vs someone will never make it out of midcard. But A fight I do wanna see.
Heavyweight bout: Frank Mir vs. Roy Nelson 8/10
I'm a Mir fan. This should be an interesting fight, I think it will probably go to decision.
Heavyweight bout: Stefan Struve vs. Travis Browne 2/10
Middleweight bout: Brian Stann vs. Jorge Santiago 5/10
Interested to see if Stann is the real deal.

UFC 131
Heavyweight bout: Brock Lesnar vs. Junior dos Santos 9/10
Dos Santos probably wins. Would of rather seen Dos Santos vs Cain before this.
Lightweight bout: Mac Danzig vs. Donald Cerrone 5/10
Middleweight bout: Demian Maia vs. Mark Muñoz 5/10
Maia's cool, even if he'll never be champ.
Featherweight bout: Kenny Florian vs. Diego Nunes 2/10

Not sure what the official fight card is, but some of the announced fights look good for UFC 132.
UFC 132
Bantamweight Championship Dominick Cruz (c) vs. Urijah Faber 5/10
Lightweight bout: George Sotiropoulos vs. Evan Dunham 2/10
Lightweight bout: Dennis Siver vs. Matt Wiman 2/10
Lightweight bout: Melvin Guillard vs. Shane Roller 2/10

These fights have been announced on UFC.com, but have not yet been added to the Official Fight Card

Middleweight bout: Wanderlei Silva vs. Chris Leben 8/10
Light Heavyweight bout: Tito Ortiz vs. Ryan Bader 7/10
Welterweight bout: Carlos Condit vs. Dong Hyun Kim 2/10
Featherweight bout: Erik Koch vs. Cub Swanson2/10

I mainly said it was weak because there is no Jones, Velasquez, or Anderson Silva (The Middle, lightheavy, and heavyweight champions) at these cards.

UFC 130-132 have some pretty good fights, but no stacked cards 1
through 5. I think when I wrote that, I was thinking long term as well.
I feel a lot of fighters aren't on the right timelines. Like Velasquez hasn't fought sinze Brock and now has to wait for Brock/Dos Santos. If the two beat the hell out of each other, could take the winner like 6 months to recuperate.

Cain Velasquez has to wait for the winner of Brock/Dos Santos, which is probably atleast 7 months away, barring injury.

Anderson Silva vs Okami doesn't sound like a great fight. Silva is getting up there in years, but I guess it's better then him facing GSP 6 months from now. Like Fedor, I'd really like to see Silva fighting the best of the best at this point in his career, unfortunately Okami is probably the best the 185 lb division has to offer.

And then I dunno when Jones/Evans is.

Cain is hurt, and is likely out for the rest of the year. I really don't know what to say to you right now. That has to be the most ridiculous shit I have ever heard from somebody who follows MMA. Jose Aldo destroys his opponents, and he fights at 145 pounds. What I am getting out of this is that you like knockouts. I'm kind of baffled right now. Look at fucking Nick Diaz. He fights at 170, and takes ridiculous punishment. Fuck look at Fujita, he has taken some of the worst punishment of all time, and he is a HW. I just really do not understand what you are saying...

Carlos Condit vs Stungun will be a fucking brawl, Melvin Guillard is one of the most entertaining strikers in MMA, and i'm not even going to comment on Aldo rating because you have obviously never watched a single one of his fights. I just don't see how somebody can characterize four entire weight classes as boring, and uninteresting because "they can take a lot of punches."

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back