• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Their Best Film: Will Smith Edition

Will Smith's Greatest Film?

• Six Degrees of Seperation

• Enemy of the States

• Bad Boys

• Men in Black

• Shark Tale

• The Pursuit of Happyness

• I, Robot

• Seven Pouns

• I Am Legend

• Hitch

• Independence Day

Results are only viewable after voting.

The 1-2-3 Killam

Mid-Card Championship Winner
I really like this section, but there's just not enough traffic or good discussion going on. I can't hold it against anybody, because I don't contribute all that often either. So I thought I'd start a new series; one that I'm actually interested in and that could provoke some decent conversation.

The concept is simple: I name an actor/actress and we discuss with the intent of coming up with their best film.

Their Best Film: Will Smith Edition

Will Smith has long been one of my favorite actors. I watched Fresh Prince religiously when I was younger, and I still catch the occasional re-run when I'm flipping through channels. He's come along way since Bel Air however, showing he has the range to be serious as well as funny, and produce excellent results almost every single time. Of course he has a few flops (Hancock, Men in Black 2, etc), but what actor can say he hasn't made a bad movie at some point?

Six Degrees of Separation: Smith's co-star Stockard Channing was nominated for an Oscar for her role as Ouisa. If I've seen this film I was very young, so I will be honest in saying I can't offer too much here. It has a 6.9 IMDB score, and is quite high on Rotten Tomatoes with an 88%.

Bad Boys: Many will argue this is the film that took Will Smith into the mainstream and out of his role as a TV star. It's still iconic and a large part of Smith's career, although not terribly well-received from a critical standpoint.

Independence Day: I've lost track of how many times I've seen this movie edited for television! Between FX, USA and all the other stations that play movie marathons over holiday breaks, I've probably watched Independence Day a good dozen times. Maybe more? And who does't love a good patriotic alien movie? Probably Roland Emmerich's best film too; the guy seems to have a thing for apocalyptic film, eh? (Day After Tomorrow, Godzilla, 2012)

Men in Black: Tommy Lee Jones and Will Smith, to this day, are still one of the best comedic mash-ups in the industry. While Men in Black 3, I thought, was a really fun movie with a surprisingly emotional ending, it just pales in comparison to its source. It hasn't aged all that well, having just watched it again, but most comedies are like that. In ten years not even our generation will understand the appeal of The Hangover or Get Him to the Greek (which is, as weird as this may sound, one of my all-time favorite comedies).

Enemy of the State: Will Smith goes thriller - no, that's not a Michael Jackson reference - adding even more depth to his resume.

I, Robot: One of my favorite sci-fi films, and easily one of Will Smith's stronger roles. And who could forget that small Shia LaBeouf role? Talk about another guy that went from classic kids comedy to some serious (and excellent) roles... I think this is the film that Smith really started to shine. He had done some really great stuff before I, Robot, but this put him over as one of Hollywood's better "serious actors".

Shark Tale: I didn't enjoy it, but I offer it as a choice because it's one his rare animated roles, and one that I know a lot of my friends seemed to like.

I Am Legend: This movie, from top to bottom, was masterfully done. Few actors could go 50% of a film by themselves, and continue drawing the audience in. I dare say, the scenes when he WAS alone were far better than the few with company. His character was just so compelling, and the world created around him so devastated that Smith, as Robert Neville, simply took ownership of it.

Hitch: Aaaand Will Smith goes romantic comedy. I think, after doing films like I, Robot and Men in Black, there were a lot of female fans from the Fresh Prince days that they tried to capture with this. And honestly, it was quite enjoyable for the men that saw it too. The perfect date film, in my opinion. Women get their eye-candy, and the men get to pretend they're as smooth as Will Smith for 90 minutes.

The Pursuit of Happyness: In my opinion, one of the best dramas ever produced. You know a team did something right when you only want to watch a drama once, because you never want to be that sad, or invest that much emotion into a film, every again... Plus, how adorable was it that his son was actually played by his son? I think that's what made the film so real; it probably enabled Will Smith to hit new levels of relativity and trigger a whole new emotional spectrum.

Seven Pounds: Smith's other adventure into the drama industry. This film is interesting to me, because it's so critically hated, but so well-received by the public. Go compare the Rotten Tomatoes score to its IMBD score. It always intrigues me that a majority of professional movie watchers can come to a general agreement about something, and be so far from the public view. But sometimes that happens, and that's why it's on the list...

I chose Will Smith to start off this series because I think he's one of the few guys who can do it all. He's done comedy, post-apocalyptic fantasy, science fiction, drama, thriller, and even a romantic comedy and found huge amounts of success. That level of depth is so rarely found in Hollywood. Not now, not ever. In a lot of ways he's like the black Robin Williams, and to a much lesser extent Jim Carey. All people known for their diversity.

It's a hard decision. I'm torn between Pursuit and Legend, with MIB playing dark horse in the back of my head. On a side note, I'm excited that Will Smith seems to be back into acting, a few years hiatus following Seven Pounds. He has some big roles coming up. I question his judgement taking anything with M. Night's name attached, but if there's anything that can sell me on "After Earth", it's the father/son tag team of Will and Jaden Smith. And I REALLY question his judgement on signing up for sequels to Hancock, Bad Boys II and I, Robot.

Wild, Wild We... hah. Nae chance!

You'll need to forgive me, I'm choosing 2. One is just about the perfect encapsulation of 'family action film' Smith and the other is a good example of his 'serious but still fun' range.

The first is Independence Day. He's a wiseass, he's brave, he's patriotic, he punches aliens, he flies and he's incredibly easy to watch and enjoy. As a film its as cheesy and over the top as you can expect an American film celebrating one of its most important holidays to be, and Will Smith can do over the top cheese in his sleep. Twinning him with Jeff Goldblum for 20 minutes or so in their mission to the mothership was some comedy gold too.

The second is Enemy of the State. Tony Scott's recent death notwithstanding, I've always had a bit of a soft spot for this film as it was the first time I saw Big Will deviate from his usual films to do something a tad more grown-up. The subject of surveillance/panopticons/Big Brother has always intrigued/scaredtheeverlovingpissoutofme, but there is a fine cast here too; Jon Voight, Gene Hackman, Tom Sizemore before he went crazy on the drugs, Barry Pepper riding the Saving Private Ryan wave and even a brief appearance from Gabriel Byrne. Will Smith managed to keep up with Hackman's growling and grizzled ex-surveillance agent, and again as with Jeff Goldblum in ID, they shared some comedic interactions.

You forgot to include movies like The Legend of Bagger Vance and Ali. For me though, as much as I loved ID4 and both Bad Boys movies, my favorite would have to be Enemy of the State. It was a nice departure from the roles he played prior to that point. I'm a fan of conspiracy flicks, and Enemy didn't disappoint. I'll go way back and say check out Where The Day Takes You as well. I believe this was Will's big screen debut. Though it was not a starring role, he was good for his part in it as well.

"The Pursuit of Happyness" showed the range of Will's acting ability. Before that role, I identified him as a wise-cracking, smartass, street-wise character that he played in everything from "Fresh Prince of BelAir" to "Independence Day" to the "Men in Black" series. I always enjoyed him but presumed he was capable of portraying only that one type of role.

"Happyness" proved me wrong. When he reached the depths of his despair, crying a single tear while locking himself and his son in a subway restroom, I cried, too. It was one of the most affecting moments I ever witnessed in a movie.

"The Pursuit of Happyness" showed the range of Will's acting ability. Before that role, I identified him as a wise-cracking, smartass, street-wise character that he played in everything from "Fresh Prince of BelAir" to "Independence Day" to the "Men in Black" series. I always enjoyed him but presumed he was capable of portraying only that one type of role.

"Happyness" proved me wrong. When he reached the depths of his despair, crying a single tear while locking himself and his son in a subway restroom, I cried, too. It was one of the most affecting moments I ever witnessed in a movie.
Really? Don't get me wrong, it's probably his best movie, but I thought I, Robot broke him out of his comedy shell before Pursuit did. It's not anywhere near the same level of drama though, so I guess I could see your point.

You forgot to include movies like The Legend of Bagger Vance and Ali.

I didn't forget, I simply didn't think anyone would vote for them. Not that they're awful, but I've never heard one person say they're favorite Will Smith film was Bagger Vance or Ali. I really hesitated with even putting Shark Tale or Hitch, but I wanted to those choices up for the genres they represent, so everybody could find something they like. I doubt either will be picked, so really there's more on the list than there should be already.

ALSO, so we're all clear... Wild Wild West is a fu**ing classic! It may be an awful movie - an awful, awful movie - but because of that I dare you to find anything as hilarious.

ID4. Back in 1996 and 1997 I went almost a full year without cable (yes, I missed seeing much of Austin's emergence and the genesis of the NWO live). I had a VCR and a VHS cassette tape with that fine film. Will Smith is a lot of fun in that movie but the other quirky characters and the almost believability of how they took out the aliens is what makes it for me. Plus Robert Loggia is awesome (I do an awful Robert Loggia impression). Will Smith has been in some other good movies and put together some way better performances but ID4 is by far the best.

I Am Legend.

As HGR already pointed out, Will Smith is the only human character you will see for the vast majority of this film. His performance is simply outstanding, and Smith was able to hook the audience in by himself. Robert Neville is stuck in a tragic situation with no help, and you can really feel sympathy for this character. I Am Legend is one of the more entertaining post-apocalyptic films, and Will Smith's mesmerizing performance pulls everything together.

I enjoyed The Pursuit of Happyness for the most part, but it can feel pretty bland at times. As far as Seven Pounds goes, Smith's performance was spot on, but it was an awful film. The illogical storyline is just dreadful, and the sappy moments in that film drive me nuts. Ali probably gave Smith his best chance to win an Oscar, because he did provide a PERFECT performance as Muhammad Ali. But Ali's lengthy run time feels so tiresome, and Michael Mann's directing bores me to death every time.

As far as Will Smith's future goes, I'm not too excited. Hanncock could've brought something different to superhero films, but it eventually devolves into a predictable (and uninteresting) summer popcorn flick. And Men In Black III was okay at best.

After Earth worries me, because M. Night Shyamalan is apart of this project. Although, Shyamalan isn't writing the screenplay, so there might be some hope for After Earth. Shyamalan has some real talent behind the camera, but he is an awful, awful writer (just watch The Happening and Lady In The Water, if you don't believe me.) After Earth could be worth watching, but I'm not expecting anything great.

Bad Boys, by far action and comedy. Plus, Martin Lawrence pretty much got brought to everybody's attention with that film.

Really? Don't get me wrong, it's probably his best movie, but I thought I, Robot broke him out of his comedy shell before Pursuit did. It's not anywhere near the same level of drama though, so I guess I could see your point.

ALSO, so we're all clear... Wild Wild West is a fu**ing classic! It may be an awful movie - an awful, awful movie - but because of that I dare you to find anything as hilarious.

IDK why people undertate Wild Wild West so much, I too thought it was a classic film & very funny.

But to go back to some of his other films, he has done some great roles and really brought those films to life with his ability to adapt to one role to another.

Im not really a fan of his music career, even though I do like the songs Miami & Just Crusing, but to see how he evolved from his early Fresh Prince persona into main stream media over the years, TBH he's done well for himself & kudos to him, IMO.

Bad Boys, by far action and comedy. Plus, Martin Lawrence pretty much got brought to everybody's attention with that film.

I think Martin having his own sitcom, Being in the first two House Party movies, and hosting Def Comedy Jam garnered him plenty of attention and acclaim prior to Bad Boys. His resume was impressive, to say the least.

Ali was actually a pretty good movie. More important was Will Smith played Ali incredibly well. I agree though not many would mention it as their favorite, and nor will I. I was tempted to say Seven Pounds. I really really enjoyed that movie. For me though it has to be The Pursuit of Happiness. Powerful, emotion performance by Smith and a wonderful movie. He me invested in the story after the first 5 minutes. The subway bathroom scene is something I won't forget, and actually made me cry. Father son combo of Will and Jaden really added to it as well.

Easily the Pursuit of Happyness. Will Smith went from hilarious in previous movies to depressing yet hopeful in this one.
This movie made me cry, multiple times, and had so much depth in comparison to any of Will's other movies.
No question about it- Happyness easily wins this one.

'I am legand' i sthe top of the Will Smith Edition....

The stories in which, world saved from virus 'I am Legand' and 'The Last Man on Earth' really the price winner srories....

It should be Ali but I've had to vote for Seven Pounds instead. I Am Legend is vetoed due to the fucking stupid botched ending that ruined the whole film.

Did you ever get a chance to see the alternate DVD/Blu-Ray ending for I Am Legend, Loveless? It's more preposterous than the original, but the alternate ending for I Am Legend is a "happy ending."

As far as the original ending goes, yeah, it's anticlimactic, and Neville's sacrifice towards the end was predictable. Neville couldn't handle the grief of losing his last living companion (the dog). He basically tries to kill himself afterwards, and the obvious foreshadowing just gives the "tragic ending" away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back