• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The WWE should bring back Territories

If you went and watched a lot of independent wrestling you would see why the "lots of various promotions" idea won't work.

Let's say we ignore the fact there will be 5 to 10 various shows, all which will unfortunately have the same stories. Wrestling promoters on independents tend to stick to basic stories, there is probably a reason for that, if they came up with amazing stories they probably wouldn't be working for an independent wrestling organization that runs 10-20 shows a year.

Guys tend to look the same on the indy's. Gear is similar, their bodies are similar, their movesets are similar. It's rare for someone to stand out. It's bad enough watching WWE/TNA/ROH and some NXT anymore. I can't imagine trying to watch more fed's.

The whole $$$ is also an issue. You'd need a weekly show for them, which means at least one event a week, which is 50+ events a year. That's a lot for an independent. They're going to need help booking.

Also, those events are going to be a lot of highschool/community center gyms. Not exactly what you want to see on a network, eh?

Assume you get the independent on board, get them the 50 bookings in decent places and help advertise so it's not 100 people in a 5000 seat arena, and even buy them some equipment and train their guys in operating it so it looks good on TV. How about training the talent? Most independent wrestlers I have met have 2-3 jobs, and can't train because there is no place to do it. So you rent them a building, get them a ring, and pay those guys some extra money so they can afford train 2-3x a week so their wrestling looks good.

$1000 a month for rent, $150 per week per person (10-15 people per fed). That's $7000 minimum. Heck on an investment.. Oh, but they'll draw a lot right? Pay off that debt? No. I'm sorry, but independent wrestling isn't a huge money maker or we wouldn't see so many fed's start and end within a year

I have to disagree I think the various Feeder Feds would totally work.. Maybe not to the degree that BC proposed. But if you had 4 or 5 Feds located in the Northeast, South, Midwest, Southwest, and Canadian West-Pacific Northwest and you treated them like single A, Double A and Triple A. I think the E could pull it off.

I always felt the E should have used ECW in this manner. Where it was the last place the guys would work before the WWE.

The idea is good because you can start following a guy when he first gets in the business. Just like watching the local High School Kid progress from HS to College to the Minors and to the Pros.

Rookie Ball: Tough Enough
Single A: FCW
Double A: NXT
Triple AAA: ECW
Major League: WWE

I have to disagree I think the various Feeder Feds would totally work.. Maybe not to the degree that BC proposed. But if you had 4 or 5 Feds located in the Northeast, South, Midwest, Southwest, and Canadian West-Pacific Northwest and you treated them like single A, Double A and Triple A. I think the E could pull it off.

I always felt the E should have used ECW in this manner. Where it was the last place the guys would work before the WWE.

The idea is good because you can start following a guy when he first gets in the business. Just like watching the local High School Kid progress from HS to College to the Minors and to the Pros.

Rookie Ball: Tough Enough
Single A: FCW
Double A: NXT
Triple AAA: ECW
Major League: WWE

I have nothing against a system like that, at all! I think it'd be great. The problem is the idea of it being ran as content. Do you enjoy the 3 hours of RAW, 2 hours of SmackDown, and 1 hour of main event each week? Honestly? I have a hard time as it is, a lot of the guys wrestling don't entertain me.

Why would I want to watch another 2-4 hours a week of unseasoned newbies?

WWE Global, Shane McMahon's last great idea, that was something I wanted to see.

People have said that Vince did the wrestling business more harm than good by killing off the territories, because now there was no place for new guys to learn.

I became a wrestling fan back in the 80's, when you had WWF, JCP, AWA, Memphis, World Class, Florida, Calgary, Continental, Pacific Northwest, Mid-South/UWF and others. It was a great time to be a wrestling fan.

I fully believe WWE needs more developmental areas than just FCW. I agree with the idea that WWE should have 3-4 "minor league" areas for guys to learn, like baseball has different levels of minor leagues (A, AA, AAA) beneath the two majors.

Im sure some pretentious moron with their head in the sand will go bananas on me for saying this, but it doesn't make it any less valid or true....

Uh, what exactly is so different about the current Indy system compared to the Territories? I mean, as far as anything WWE could help?

Are the Indies not smaller, regionalized, and sometimes syndicated markets? If someone has success over a period of time, he goes to another area, and works there some? if he continues to have success and get better, he goes to the final stages before the big leagues, ROH or TNA...Right? How exactly is it so much different?

The difference is only that of talent pool, money being made in those places, and the skill and knowledge of those doing the training and promoting. This, however, has nothing to do with the WWE...It has to do with the overall state of pro wrestling.

Besides, the entire reason guys showed up so much more seasoned and skilled in the territory years was because they worked under different promoters, and the territories had distinct styles and veterans, and people "added tools to their tool box" over the years, so to speak. If the WWE ran all of them, it defeats that whole purpose, because they will all be molded in the WWE "frat boy wrestling" ken-doll niche.

Just give it some time. They pick over the Indies / the other "medium 2" very well, and both of those places mold guys really well. If wrestling ever becomes popular enough again that local stations consider giving the local Indy program some syndication, then that is the closest you will ever see to the territories coming back.

Im sure some pretentious moron with their head in the sand will go bananas on me for saying this, but it doesn't make it any less valid or true....

Uh, what exactly is so different about the current Indy system compared to the Territories? I mean, as far as anything WWE could help?

Are the Indies not smaller, regionalized, and sometimes syndicated markets? If someone has success over a period of time, he goes to another area, and works there some? if he continues to have success and get better, he goes to the final stages before the big leagues, ROH or TNA...Right? How exactly is it so much different?

The difference is only that of talent pool, money being made in those places, and the skill and knowledge of those doing the training and promoting. This, however, has nothing to do with the WWE...It has to do with the overall state of pro wrestling.

Besides, the entire reason guys showed up so much more seasoned and skilled in the territory years was because they worked under different promoters, and the territories had distinct styles and veterans, and people "added tools to their tool box" over the years, so to speak. If the WWE ran all of them, it defeats that whole purpose, because they will all be molded in the WWE "frat boy wrestling" ken-doll niche.

Just give it some time. They pick over the Indies / the other "medium 2" very well, and both of those places mold guys really well. If wrestling ever becomes popular enough again that local stations consider giving the local Indy program some syndication, then that is the closest you will ever see to the territories coming back.

The biggest problem is the money and stability. Most people don't start a risky business to be number #3 or #5.

The thing is ECW Worked and for a time it made money. If VKM knew what to do with something other then the WWE, ECW could have been a thriving territory in the Northeast under the WWE umbrella.

The biggest problem I have with the territories dying is certian forms of wrestling will likely die with it.

If you look back to the 1980's a fair amount of territories had their own style.

Vince could easily fund a Territory in Memphis and have Lawler run the promotion. Also think of the benefits a rookie would have if he did the following

6 months learning the basics in the FCW
4 months with Jim Cornette in SMW
4 months with Lawler in Memphis
4 months with the Hart/Storm in Calgary
6 months in ECW.

Before he entered the WWE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members