The WWE and YouTube announce Partnership

SpoodBeest

City Dweller, Successful Fella
Yesterday on WWE's website, it was announced that the WWE and YouTube formed a multi-year partnership. The WWE plans to upload full episodes from SmackDown and NXT (RAW is above YouTube I guess). This is also pretty big for YouTube because apparently marks the first time YouTube will feature complete episodes of prime time television shows in it's website.

I'm guessing this partnership is for another reason to try and make other users stop uploading the shows themselves. In fact I just finished watching last night's NXT episode from some random user's channel. So I guess this will eliminate the need for other users to upload the WWE's content. With the exception of RAW which apparently episodes of RAW are not going on the YouTube channel. Not to mention a lot of content will be removed that other users have posted that contains parts of WWE's shows, perhaps more so than what was going on before this announcement.

Here some interesting quotes from a strategic partner of YouTube: Chris Maxcy:

“WWE has established itself as one of the top global entertainment brands in the world, WWE’s content is hugely popular on YouTube. Bringing in full-length, primetime television programs to the site is a huge win for our community and fans of the WWE.”

Even a WWE's Executive Vice President of WWE Interactivity: Brian Kalinowski had this to say about the partnership:

“As part of our ever evolving digital media strategy, WWE is one of the first global entertainment companies to offer audiences access to complete primetime shows on YouTube, this partnership also enables WWE to increase its official PG-content offerings online for our fans, generate revenue, protect our content and broaden our brand exposure on the world’s largest online video site.”

So both WWE and YouTube seem very high on this "multi-year partnership" they have seemingly made with one and other. This could be huge for YouTube as it could cause other Media Monsters to land similar deals with them and start a trend of uploading television content to YouTube. This is also good for the WWE, since YouTube will probably do everything in it's power to make sure the WWE will be the only one uploading their content.

So in conclusion: Do you think this deal is a good one?, and do you think other Media companies will catch on to this idea?

Tna's been doing the same thing for awhile so I mean its nothing really new. To me it sounds like a way for Vince to get rid of the old WWE content on youtube and making people have to pay money for the wwe channel to watch old content.

Tna's been doing the same thing for awhile so I mean its nothing really new. To me it sounds like a way for Vince to get rid of the old WWE content on youtube and making people have to pay money for the wwe channel to watch old content.

Well TNA posts clips of iMPACT but not necessarily full episodes, thats somewhat the difference between the two channels.

TNA has been utilizing YouTube for years now, so in that vein this "deal" is a bit too little too late, though TNA never struck a partnership with Google directly the way the WWE just did, so I suppose the microcosms are different in the overall.

Should be great news for a lot of the WWE's fans who can't see Smackdown "live" due to the fact that UPN9 (or whatever that channel is called now) isn't a nationally broadcast channel in the same manner that the USA Network is, and neither is NXT on SyFy for that matter, but I doubt this is "industry changing" as you noted. A few other networks may pick up on the idea, but most already broadcast full episodes of their shows on their own parent sites like FOX.com, ABC.com, etc.

Youtube has a deal to show full shows in the UK, so it's not a worldwide first.

Good move for the WWE I suppose, just as long as there isn't any tie violence on show.

Wow!

Believe it or not, this is a great deal for both parties. A lot of TNA fans have come in here to run our faces in the fact that TNA have been doing something similar for the past while. However, that doesn’t make this any less of a ground-breaking deal. For a long time, people have been complaining that the WWE is overly-touchy about people using it’s material and probably for good reason. I am almost willing to bet that hundreds, if not thousands, of new WWE videos are uploaded by random people during any given week. However, they are usually pulled within a couple of hours.

This makes things so much easier for people and my hat is off to the WWE for finally getting with the technological revolution. Yes! It may be a bit behind the TNA curve and precedent but that certainly doesn’t take away from the fact that WWE is not making their product more accessible to the people that cannot watch it usually. I think I read that the American broadcasting of both NXT and Smackdown is hampered by the channels that they are supposed to air on. Whether this is true or not and the extent of this doesn’t really matter anymore because the WWE has taken steps to ensure that people can tune in and watch their shows whenever they want and when they might not get the chance to otherwise.

As for the story with Raw. I have no idea why they havee decided that Raw wont be shown on the YouTube channel but I can only imagine that it is because they don’t really need to show it. I would imagine that they would want to keep their viewing figures quite high and by showing it on YouTube, viewers are likely to just turn off and watching it when they want. The WWE can’t afford to let that happen, in reality.

Still, I am very happy with this result although I imagine that it will only be for the US citizens and wont be allowed in the UK because of the contracts they have with Sky Sports but we shall see.

This is awesome. This guarantees great quality versions of SD and NXT every week. I just watched NXT on some random guy's channel and the quality of it made me wanna cringe. But considering I don't have cable and with the inevitable move of SD to a cable channel, I was wondering how I would get my weekly fix. This is gonna be great. Hopefully they're not gonna separate it into parts like users on YT have to.

I know RAW isn't part of the deal, but I think it would be money if WWE streamed RAW live every Monday on YouTube.

As for other media companies, I don't think they have to put their shows on YT considering most already have full episodes on their parent channels or, in NBC's case, show their shows on Hulu.

I was reading yesterday on the wrestling observer that ecw will be featured on the youtube channel as well, anyone else heard or read about this?i didn't know wwe's website had mentioned it. hopefully it's true about the ecw shows, that's only if it's the original though.

Still, I am very happy with this result although I imagine that it will only be for the US citizens and wont be allowed in the UK because of the contracts they have with Sky Sports but we shall see.

I can confirm this is correct. I use to be subscribed to the WWE Channel for the promos, etc. When they started putting the episodes up I kept getting a "content not allowed" message, which to me is annoying because as a UK WWE Fan who doesn't own Sky, I use youtube to catch up on what I miss because I usually don't watch Raw cause I have work the next day. My guess is that is Sky has some role which tbh, sucks!

As for why not Raw, they show segments on there, but not the full episodes, my guess is to encourage people to watch it live as the ratings are more important to Raw and USA, the moment they start showing Raw fully, ratings would go down and as they have a key deal with USA, they won't want to break it.. Smackdown and NXT aren't as important for ratings as they're taped and are already watchable from WWE.com.

A good move and benefit for the US fans, but shame that a UK fan such as myself doesn't get the benefits once again!

Another reason they aren't including RAW could be that USA probably has "exclusive rights" to the show so it would be up to them and youtube would need to pay them for the use.

As for it being limited to USA users, the good thing about Youtube is that it is easy to get around the country filter. Just paste the link into google translate for the video to play.
Oh and whats funny is WWE's videos say "This video contains content from WWE, who has blocked it on copyright grounds" even though its on their own channel.

This is a great deal. A lot of people don't get to watch NXT or Smackdown because they don't have time or they don't get the channels. I know that whenever I miss an episode and try to catch up that it is a pain to do on Youtube because all the episodes are split into a million pieces, so this is a lot easier.

Okay, there is a good and bad. I have a question though, will it be like a different website, or just on normal Everyday YouTube. :confused:

I'll start with the good.
-There are full episodes of NXT, Smackdown, and other WWE Shows on it.
-It helps for those who can't watch it on Friday or when ever it airs.
-It will be a good way to gain fans, more publicity.
- Easy to view, Quick to get.

Now the Bad.
-Doubt it that we will see anything posted early. (Smackdown Spoiler Videos Before it Airs)
- This will reduce the house shows put on. (MSG Supershow, doubt we will see those vidoes anymore, as WWE can just remove them, most likely without YouTube really caring) :disappointed:

There is some good, some bad.
Good for the Everyday Wrestling Fan.
Okay for the Crazy Wrestling Fans that will watch replays and things from the past like everyday.
Bad for people who just like to read the Quick Spoilers, and Go and Watch what will happen.

I, think this is a Good thing, Even though I do like reading spoilers for Superstars and some Smackdown, Now I can watch it on my Free Time.

This kicks ass. Superstars doesn't air in Canada, and we get NXT on Thursday ngiths as opposed to Wednesdays, so I am excited for this. Finally get to catch Superstars, which is nice because from what I hear it focuses mainly on wrestling rather than promos and gives a spotlight to some underutilized guys, and hopefully NXT will be up at least on Wednesday so I'm not waiting too long.

I think its great..although I would prefer Raw there aswell..but i guess because its the flagship show, they don't want to...

This is good move from both WWE and Youtube...it will get more viewers on youtube, more people will be aware of the WWE product..and viewing full episodes is actually a good thing..i kinda hate going on the website and seeing little 5 minutes clips and sometimes they miss out some really good segments....

First off it's not the first time Youtube has complete shows uploaded, there's been multiple users uploading complete shows, they're getting taken down occasionally, but there are episodes that get through and are still watchable to this day.

I do think that it's really more of an 50-50 thing for WWE.

On one hand you got the fact that more people can watch it through streams if they don't get to watch it that night, because of a party, a birthday or whatever reason that keeps you from watching, and that's a good thing, it might eventually pull more viewers to the show when they actually are watching.

But on the other hand, you can also end up getting less viewers of SmackDown, a show that is already drawing fairly low ratings compared to RAW, now it's because it's the flagship show that RAW is pulling the ratings, but there's also been said that it's due to the spoilers and taped shows, results = not gonna watch.

If WWE has all episodic showings on Youtube, who's to stop people from watching it there rather than watching it on television? they save money for not ordering the channel to watch it.

It can benefit, and hurt WWE in both manners really, all depending on how people choose to use the system.

I do believe that if WWE is gonna pull something off in terms of keeping the viewers, and still giving away some of the show on the website, it should be through small bits of the show, like they are already doing on WWE.com, that way it gives people a small taste of what they "missed" and should expect for next week, or gives them a reminder of what happened from last week.

I've watched all WWE shows on YouTube for 2-3 years now. Mostly because I hate commercials and don't have DVR, and got tired of taping them on VHS. This is good news, except for no Raw. I will still be finding Raw from random users I guess.

I'm not going to say this is a bad deal or anything, but Hulu already provides episodes of Smackdown, Superstars, and NXT so I don't see this as a very big deal.

However I am in agreement that Raw should get put online for people to watch...

I think its a great opportunity to get their point across about the need to cope with the new generation with launch of WWE on social networking sites. Youtube is a great example, and I see this as a good way to let the fans watch WWE programming whenever they want. I notice one thing while watching WWE NXT on Youtube, that there were no ads. Unlike what they did in Hulu, WWE didn't utilize their advertising on Youtube. If you want to bring profits this is good way to pinch in some advertisement before, and in the middle of the show. This way the WWE will be able to get some profit and encourage them to even put more shows like WWE Weekly programme Bottomline, Afterburn, Experience, and Vintage Collection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back