• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Wrestlemania 31 problem....

rge2010

Mid-Card Championship Winner
Wrestlemania 31 next year is going to be HUGE but it is going to leave WWE with a bit of a conundrum - a nice one I might add but one that will infuriate some of the fans!

I am a huge fan of 'part timers' simply because the part timers are allowed this honour because they have paid their dues and are the biggest names in sports entertainment. Anybody who wants to see Ziggler, Rhodes or Cesaro headline Wrestlemania is simply moaning for the sake of moaning. I don't want my Wrestlemania to be a 'B PPV' or a glorified episode of Raw. That is not 'best for business'.

Recently I have seen in interviews (complete with quotes and not made up backstage crap from the dirt sheets) a few huge names say they want to 'retire' or have that 'one last match'.

Wrestlemania 31 is next and it looks to me there could be a few superstars looking to call it a day.

Hulk Hogan
Last week Hogan said he is training for one last match. I have absolute no problem with this whatsoever, I am not a Wrestling snob and for nostalgic reasons alone I would love to see the red and yellow one more time! Lets not fool ourselves though. Hogan is training now, he isn't getting any younger and he must bow out at Wrestlemania. I think Mania 31 will see Hogan ride off into the sunset, probably against John Cena. This is a money match whether you like it or not.

Sting
There are still sceptics out there that say Sting will never sign with WWE. Well the evidence so far suggests he has. DVD, Figures, Comic Con - what more do you want? Sting wants to wrestle in WWE for his 'one last match' and the smart money is also on Wrestlemania. He has cited The Undertaker on a few occasions now which takes me to our next superstar...

Undertaker
The streak has ended and with such a limited schedule for a number of years now we all know that the end is near for Taker. Beaten by Lesnar and not performing to the standard we all expect. We all thought Taker would probably bow out at Mania 31 to the whole fanfare and say goodbye and then enter the HOF at Mania 32 which is in Dallas, Texas. Will Taker hold off his retirement and go out on his back in Texas?

Brock Lesnar
Only WWE and Brock know Brocks plans. What we do know is he signed a contract for three Wrestlemania's and that 31 is probably his last 'for a while'. Will Brock come back again? Possibly but I think it will be a few years until he does. He is still a good age and in great shape. There is no reason he has to end it all at Mania 31 but I think for the time being, this latest chapter will finish here. Mania 30 Main Event was mean't to be Rock vs Brock which brings me to the next....

The Rock
A large majority of us thought he was done after his injury at Mania 29. But recently Rock has said he would love to come back and have a marquee match citing Brock Lesnar. Mania 30 match was cancelled due to injury but I think The Rock can still go for a few years. I wouldn't be surprised to see him back in time for Mania 31 but maybe they will hold this off to Mania 32 now given the sheer amount of part timers looking to have a match at mania 31?

Batista
I will mention Batista but I think Mania 32 will be his last. Although this depends on Undertaker and his future because he would be completely overshadowed. Batista said the other week he wants a retirement match at Wrestlemania and wants to do this against Triple H. He has said this is his last run in WWE and only signed a 2 year contract...

Kurt Angle
His contract with TNA ends in October and he is keen to return. He has said he wants to wrestle his last match in WWE and I think he will be granted his wish. People talk about the medical, well I have no concerns he will pass it and neither does Angle or Jim Ross. Again though, Mania 31 will be too soon for a retirement angle as Kurt has said on a few occasions he wants Bryan, Cena, Cesaro and Orton before he goes. Mania 32 was more likely but again I think there will be 1 or 2 others looking to retire at this one.

Rey Mysterio

His WWE contract is nearing the end but this guy is a huge merchandise seller and is extremely popular with a number of fans. It just seems unfair to let him disappear after 12 years in WWE. Surely Mysterio deserves a good send off? Maybe not at Mania but another PPV. Having said all this, Rey will probably move to another organisation which is a shame.

So what would you do if you were booking? There is a HUGE chance that all the superstars I have mentioned above will be on the Wrestlemania 31 card. I think by Mania 33 we will have lost all of these to retirement bar Brock Lesnar.

Possible matches for Mania 31

Hogan vs Cena
Brock vs Rock
Sting vs Taker
Angle vs Bryan
Batista vs Triple H

Where does that leave the rest?!

Okay I'm not against part timers, but you're booking a Wrestlemania where half of the matches are featuring part timers. 4 of these 5 matches, only feature part timers? Hogan apparently can't take a bad back bump so that'd be a pathetic match. Rock got injured and Brock goes stiff, can't take a proper beating without being scared. Sting is old(if you want this rant just go to the Sting thread, I don't care enough to rant) and Taker got injured at what the last 2 Manias, Angle might not pass the drug test(again there's a thread) but even if he does, Bryan might not be back yet...if he is, he'd be feuding with the authority. Not gonna bad mouth Batista v Triple H because they both still do decent.

Hogan shouldn't show back up, he probably said it in reference to a beating on raw this week?
Brock will be there to put somebody over.
Rock can put over someone. Either Brock or Rock put over Reigns.
Sting, in my opinion shouldn't wrestle but if he can go, fine.
Taker should be done, he lost in a match that looked horrible.
Angle should show back up and a match with Bryan would be great if they book Angle as the authority muscle.
Batista turning face is expected , and Triple H is the biggest heel so that works.

I don't agree with your list but if it happened this would be the biggest disappointment in my opinion.

Reigns v Brock(c) = Reigns wins WWE WHC
Rock v Rollins = Rollins in huge upset to help solidify Seth has a future star
Cena v CM Punk? = Idk it depends on Punk's status, if he stays give him the big win, if he leaves give it to Cena
Dean v Triple H = Dean, this shouldn't be a surprise Triple H needs to build future stars, he knows this
Cesaro v Ryback? It's an idea = Cesaro, Ryback is done for. this match is the ex Heyman guys, maybe throw Axel in there too?
Bryan v Angle = Bryan, he'd need a big win after returning and Angle is part time so
Ziggler v Ryder v Miz v Bray(c) = Ziggler IC title match, finally giving Ziggler a huge win at Mania, beat Miz
Goldust v Cody Rhodes = Cody Rhodes a Career v something match
Andre the Giant Battle Royale = Bo Dallas, huge shock for a match that means nothing

Just a few ideas, I personally like the idea

In simplest words, I believe the deal is that you give your best throughout the year, starting the night after Wrestlemania, and if you impress enough, you earn your spot in next year's Wrestlemania. If you don't have a place on the card, or you've been placed in a pre-show battle royale (which you won't win), it means you simply haven't impressed enough and need to work better. A few guys have gotten a Wrestlemania card spot luckily, but people like Ziggler, Ryder, Rhodes, Kofi etc. are not Wrestlemania quality. When they are, I'm sure WWE won't stop them either. Its as simple as that.

I don't see WrestleMania XXXI turning into NostalgiaMania, therefore I don't see a problem developing. If all of these guys ultimately came under WWE contract at the same time and were given matches at WrestleMania, it'd do far more harm than good in my opinion. They all have nothing to lose as their legacies in the history of wrestling are secured, not that it'd matter to Lesnar as long as he's getting a big payday. So, if they faced off against a much younger guy at the big event and didn't put him over, it could make said opponent look bad.

The only possible scenario that I think has a chance of actually happening is Taker vs. Sting, and I think it's a 50/50 chance at best right now. IF reports are accurate, Taker himself has stated that it's not looking too good as far as him returning for a match next year.

Mysterio's in the middle of a bit of a shaky situation in that his contract has been renewed for another year, yet Vince took it upon himself to do that. There's talk of Rey POSSIBLY seeking legal action to get out of it as there are rumors that he intends to take a role in AAA. Besides, Rey's knees are pretty much shot, plus he's been out, reportedly, with some sort of hand injury this time around.

Hulk Hogan said in a recent interview that he's "training" for another match, but I think it's a smokescreen. Hogan's in danger of becoming the Boy Who Cried Wolf because we've heard this sort of thing out of him more than once over the past several years. Hogan's a self-promoter and nobody hypes Hogan better than Hogan. If he does wrestle again, I don't see it being for WWE because he ultimately wasn't given a clean bill of health upon undergoing the company's extensive medical testing. I think company officials entertained the possibility of Hogan wrestling, otherwise I doubt they'd have bothered with the exams.

Kurt Angle's in-ring career has been heading downhill the past few years because his body's breaking down. It's obvious that Angle's not remotely what he was 5 years ago and even if he wants to wrestle again in WWE, that doesn't mean he'll get to. If he's not medically cleared, it'd never happen.

I've no way of knowing this whatsoever, but I have a feeling Batista & WWE are done with each other, at least for a while. There's been no promotion of Guardians of the Galaxy on WWE television leading up to its release or after its release. The movie's also become a big hit at the box office and with critics, so a return for Batista would probably mean WWE having to pony up a lot more money. Even if they did, there's no guarantee that fans would line up for Batista's return because they sure as shit didn't earlier this year.

The Rock has said that he's talked to Vince about who his next opponent is. Truthfully, I don't know if it's legit or not. The Rock's pretty damn good at hyping himself as well and getting a buzz going, so who knows. Personally, I don't see it happening as I think either the money won't be right, The Rock's too concerned with the risk of suffering another injury or a combination of both.

As far as Brock Lesnar goes, unless he signs another deal or extends his current one, which expires after WrestleMania XXXI, I fully expect him to job at the event no matter who he faces.

WrestleMania 31 will more than likely have Brock Lesnar in the main event for the WWE World title after ending The Streak. It's just a no brainer, now as to who he faces I have no idea. There's been speculation of Roman Reigns being that next big babyface to step and dethrone John Cena but I am not sure about that right now.

I could see it being John Cena vs Roman Reigns for the title depending on the circumstances and such. I mean if they go the route of Lesnar vs Reigns, that means Lesnar holds the title until WrestleMania 31? that's a LONG time and I am assuming that Lesnar won't even be around the whole time and he'll be more of a special attraction.

Bottom line is that Brock Lesnar needs to be in the main event of WrestleMania 31.

Okay I'm not against part timers, but you're booking a Wrestlemania where half of the matches are featuring part timers. 4 of these 5 matches, only feature part timers? Hogan apparently can't take a bad back bump so that'd be a pathetic match. Rock got injured and Brock goes stiff, can't take a proper beating without being scared. Sting is old(if you want this rant just go to the Sting thread, I don't care enough to rant) and Taker got injured at what the last 2 Manias, Angle might not pass the drug test(again there's a thread) but even if he does, Bryan might not be back yet...if he is, he'd be feuding with the authority. Not gonna bad mouth Batista v Triple H because they both still do decent.

Hogan shouldn't show back up, he probably said it in reference to a beating on raw this week?
Brock will be there to put somebody over.
Rock can put over someone. Either Brock or Rock put over Reigns.
Sting, in my opinion shouldn't wrestle but if he can go, fine.
Taker should be done, he lost in a match that looked horrible.
Angle should show back up and a match with Bryan would be great if they book Angle as the authority muscle.
Batista turning face is expected , and Triple H is the biggest heel so that works.

I don't agree with your list but if it happened this would be the biggest disappointment in my opinion.

Reigns v Brock(c) = Reigns wins WWE WHC
Rock v Rollins = Rollins in huge upset to help solidify Seth has a future star
Cena v CM Punk? = Idk it depends on Punk's status, if he stays give him the big win, if he leaves give it to Cena
Dean v Triple H = Dean, this shouldn't be a surprise Triple H needs to build future stars, he knows this
Cesaro v Ryback? It's an idea = Cesaro, Ryback is done for. this match is the ex Heyman guys, maybe throw Axel in there too?
Bryan v Angle = Bryan, he'd need a big win after returning and Angle is part time so
Ziggler v Ryder v Miz v Bray(c) = Ziggler IC title match, finally giving Ziggler a huge win at Mania, beat Miz
Goldust v Cody Rhodes = Cody Rhodes a Career v something match
Andre the Giant Battle Royale = Bo Dallas, huge shock for a match that means nothing

Just a few ideas, I personally like the idea

I didnt book anything, I simply suggested a few possible matches and no, that wouldn't be the 6 matches I had because there are too many part timers. The way the landscape of the WWE is at the moment and with what various superstars have said over the past few weeks it looks like the problem I mentioned could be a reality.

You make a lot of flippant remarks about Taker, Sting, Angle, Hogan etc not being ready to go. And then you mention CM Punk in a match with Cena!!! Punk has gone. His career is over and there is no indication he is coming back. Even Heyman said this week Punk wouldnt wanna come back and WWE woudlnt take him back (at this moment). There is a thread for this anyway!!!! :lmao:

Taker, Hogan, Sting have more chance of wrestling at Mania 31 than Punk IMO.

i already mention in another topic. Brock vs roman is the main event at wm for wwe title. Rock vs brock is not a dream match so its not happend. Taker vs sting is a dream match so i expect this match. Taker lost to sting is not a big deal now bcoz no more streak. Hogan vs cena is also a dream match. I love that cena lost to hogan and turn heel at post wm raw. DB vs shawn michaels is one i route. Its show stealer. Batista vs hhh may be happend this year.
So here is my pick
Roman vs Brock for wwe title
Taker vs Sting
Hogan vs Cena
Bryan vs Michaels
Batista vs HHH
Rollins vs Randy
Ambrose vs Dolph for ic title

My guess us that WWE is pursuing most or not all of these possibilities. The nature of the business suggests some will work out, and some won't, so I don't think it'll be a WM with a part-timer in every match, which is probably good. We get some of those guys we're dying to see without them taking over.

Ok here goes....I know you guys like for new stars to be built but having a new main eventer win the title at Mania every year isnt a good idea. If DB is ready to go than he should main event again, and this is coming from someone that actually doesn't like DB having the belt.

DB vs Brock...Brock needs to win. He needs to build up his own little streak. Beating Taker, than losing at the next Mania is dumb. He needs to look unstoppable and get major heat. Best way to do this is have him destroy DB. Reigns can have his shot at WM32 against Cena.

Taker vs Sting...this is simply GOING to happen whether you like it or not

Reigns vs HHH...the most likely match that I would be willing to bet on happening.

Rock won't wrestle, Hogan can barely walk, and Angle won't be there at all.

Batista is a ?...um maybe Batista vs Rusev or Ambrose

It Should be - Option A - With Lesnar winning the title - got cashed in by Rollins and have Cena defeat him to win the title - with Hogan & Rock & Angle not wrestling:
Reigns vs Lesnar vs Cena {C} - Triple Threat Elimination with Rock as Special Referee - WWE WHC. {Setting up Reigns vs Rock - WM 32} = Reigns.
Triple H vs Ambrose = Ambrose
Rollins vs Bryan {had Angle avaliable I would have had Angle vs Rollins and Bryan would have faced The Rock - with him not being the ME referee} = Rollins.
Taker vs Sting {If Possible - if not Sting will face Wyatt and Orton will go against The Rock or Cesaro} = Taker.
Orton vs Wyatt = Wyatt
Cody vs Goldust = Cody
Batista vs Rusev = Rusev {depends on the situation Batista can also win}.
Bo Dallas wins Andre The GIant Battle Royal.
Barrett {c} vs Jericho - IC Title - {if avaliable - if Not I would put him against Sheamus} = Barrett.
The Ascension vs The Wyatts {C} - tag titles - Ascension
Divas title
And..if he is avaliable I would have put Mysterio vs Ziggler / Cesaro / Miz = Mysterio {again there is always the possibility that you can have Mysterio decide that he wants to put over either man and give them the win}.

Option B - with Lesnar holding the belt from Summer Slam and Taker & Mysterio & Jericho not wrestling:
Lesnar {C} vs Reigns - WWE WHC = Reigns
The Rock vs Bryan = Bryan
Cena vs Hogan = Hogan
Sting vs Wyatt = Wyatt
HHH vs Ambrose = Ambrose
Rhodes vs Goldust = Rhodes
Batista vs Rusev = hard call.Depends on the reaction that both men gets at the time but for now I will go with Rusev.
Barrett {C} vs Sheamus {C} - IC and US titles unification - BNB all the way.
Orton vs Ziggler - Ziggler {even though I need some old faces to win}.
Bo Dallas wins Andre The Giant Memorial Battle royal/
Wyatts {C} vs Ascension - tag titles - Ascension
Divas title = ???

{At the event one of the two Batista or Orton will have to win their match to give the Old School wrestlers some credibility}.
My favorite out of the 2 will have to be option B - even with the fact that Taker will not wrestle you will have:Reigns & Bryan & Wyatt & Rhodes & Rusev {potentially} & Ambrose all benefiting and have their profile raised afterwards.

It Should be - Option A - With Lesnar winning the title - got cashed in by Rollins and have Cena defeat him to win the title - with Hogan & Rock & Angle not wrestling:
Reigns vs Lesnar vs Cena {C} - Triple Threat Elimination with Rock as Special Referee - WWE WHC. {Setting up Reigns vs Rock - WM 32} = Reigns.
Triple H vs Ambrose = Ambrose
Rollins vs Bryan {had Angle avaliable I would have had Angle vs Rollins and Bryan would have faced The Rock - with him not being the ME referee} = Rollins.
Taker vs Sting {If Possible - if not Sting will face Wyatt and Orton will go against The Rock or Cesaro} = Taker.
Orton vs Wyatt = Wyatt
Cody vs Goldust = Cody
Batista vs Rusev = Rusev {depends on the situation Batista can also win}.
Bo Dallas wins Andre The GIant Battle Royal.
Barrett {c} vs Jericho - IC Title - {if avaliable - if Not I would put him against Sheamus} = Barrett.
The Ascension vs The Wyatts {C} - tag titles - Ascension
Divas title
And..if he is avaliable I would have put Mysterio vs Ziggler / Cesaro / Miz = Mysterio {again there is always the possibility that you can have Mysterio decide that he wants to put over either man and give them the win}.

Option B - with Lesnar holding the belt from Summer Slam and Taker & Mysterio & Jericho not wrestling:
Lesnar {C} vs Reigns - WWE WHC = Reigns
The Rock vs Bryan = Bryan
Cena vs Hogan = Hogan
Sting vs Wyatt = Wyatt
HHH vs Ambrose = Ambrose
Rhodes vs Goldust = Rhodes
Batista vs Rusev = hard call.Depends on the reaction that both men gets at the time but for now I will go with Rusev.
Barrett {C} vs Sheamus {C} - IC and US titles unification - BNB all the way.
Orton vs Ziggler - Ziggler {even though I need some old faces to win}.
Bo Dallas wins Andre The Giant Memorial Battle royal/
Wyatts {C} vs Ascension - tag titles - Ascension
Divas title = ???

{At the event one of the two Batista or Orton will have to win their match to give the Old School wrestlers some credibility}.
My favorite out of the 2 will have to be option B - even with the fact that Taker will not wrestle you will have:Reigns & Bryan & Wyatt & Rhodes & Rusev {potentially} & Ambrose all benefiting and have their profile raised afterwards.
Why does everyone on here do this???

All you did was put a random veteran with a random up and comer, and have the young guy win in EVERY MATCH except for Cena vs Hogan!!! What sense does this make? DB was the man last year and pushed to the freakin moon, got injured will probably return at the rumble to a HUGE reaction than JOB TO ROLLINS AT MANIA??? Why? What sense does that make? Sting jobs to Wyatt in possibly his only WWE Match EVER? Ambrose isnt in HHH's league and shouldnt even be in a match with him at Mania, Ziggler has NO BUSINESS beating Orton at Mania. None of this make sense. This is just young guy beats old guy for no reason except for the fact that he's younger.

This is a common idea on almost every forum I have ever been on and it makes no sense. How would you ever establish anyone doing this? Look what you just did to DB one year after main eventing Mania and being the most over guy on the roster. How is anyone supposed to build a legacy when they have to lose every year at Mania to whatever young guy that shows up on the roster?

Ok Reigns beats Lesnar...than what? Steen beats Reigns next year? well what about DB? Does he ever main event again or do we just keep throwing young guys in the main event?

I think Hogan should go against Lesnar not Cena, especially after the whole thing on his birthday.
Hogan is old, very old in fact but he is in very good shape it looks. He looked both taller and thicker back to chest than Lesnar did on raw and I was half expecting Alzheimer's to kick in at a very opportune moment when Lesnar got in his face and see Hogan actually take a shot.

I think the fans want to see Lesnar not just wrestle Hogan next Mania in a Brawl style match up but actually even see Lesnar go down to Hogan and let Hogan have the final say in his in ring career with a huge scalp.

Not a problem. Vince holds all the cards and he doesn't need most of that talent for a successful WM. He can pick and choose who he wants to get a WM spot and the rest of the guys will have to settle for other events if they want one last match.

The Rock and Lesnar get top billing while guys like Hogan and Sting would have to settle for lower card status if any status at all. The other guys can work lesser shows.

Remember, there is not much reason for mega cards. There are only so many fans out there and paying big money for one or two more guys isn't go to pay for what it costs. This is especially true in the $9.99 Era.

For WM 31, I'd do:

Sting vs. Taker - Better late than never, it's still a dream match to many. Definitely could help get more people to tune into Wrestlemania but the big if is if Taker can handle another match.

Sting vs. HHH - HHH is by far one of the best best guys in the company in recent history. If Taker is unable to go this year, HHH would be their best bet.

Lesnar vs. Cesaro - I like this match up because it would be the safest bet to get a good match out of Brock. Reigns isn't ready. The Rock's best days are behind him. With both Lesnar and Cesaro having ties to Heyman, this match up would have the formula to be the match of the night, maybe even year.

Batista vs. HHH - If Taker does wrestle at WM 31, Batista vs. HHH would be ideal. The last time Batista was in a WWE ring, he wasn't on the best terms with HHH/Orton. Batista talked of wanting his last match to be with HHH. With WM 31, being in California, home of Hollywood, what better way for him to go out. It's been a while since there's been a career match.

Angle - Like Hogan, I can't see him wrestling another match again. It would be cool to see him do a cameo at WrestleMania like Stone Cold did this past year.

Rey - I think he's done. It would be great if he made it to Mania. I just don't have my hopes for him.

Semi-dream/Semi-realistic WM31 Card:

1) Brock Lesnar (c) vs. Daniel Bryan [WWE World Heavyweight Championship]
2) Triple H vs. Roman Reigns
3) Bray Wyatt vs. Dean Ambrose [Anything Goes Match]
4) Rusev (c) vs. John Cena (w/Hulk Hogan)*
5) Paige (c) vs. Charlotte (w/Ric Flair) [WWE Divas Championship]
6) Seth Rollins vs. Randy Orton
7) The Wyatt Family (c) vs. The Usos vs. The Ascension [WWE Tag Team Championships]
8) Bad News Barrett (c) vs. Cesaro [WWE Intercontinental Championship]
9) 30-Man Andre the Giant Memorial Battle Royal
10) Sheamus vs. Batista
PRE-SHOW: Cody Rhodes vs. Goldust [Loser Leaves WWE]
*Rusev is projected to be the WWE United States Champion at this time

Results:
1) Daniel Bryan barely beats Brock Lesnar (after interference from The Rock to set-up WM32); Seth Rollins cashes-in MITB; Seth Rollins becomes new WWE World Heavyweight Champion
2) Roman Reigns beats Triple H following a ... well, Spear
3) Dean Ambrose beats Bray Wyatt (double-turn)
4) John Cena pins Rusev (could lead to potential Hogan-Cena match for WM32, which i hope not; first pinfall loss for Rusev, let's face reality here, it's WWE booking)
5) Paige retains after miscue by Charlotte
6) Seth Rollins beats Randy Orton (Rollins with an illegal cheap shot before the Curb Stomp)
7) Konnor (The Ascension) pins one of the Usos (paving way for Wyatts vs Ascension feud and eliminating Usos from the picture)
8) Cesaro beats Bad News Barrett (start of a true face run for Cesaro)
9) Ryback last eliminates Mark Henry
10) Sheamus pins Batista after 2 Brogue Kicks
11) Cody Rhodes pins Goldust (cue "Thank you, Goldust" chants)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back