The voice of EDM?

Dowdsy McDowds

Sally was here
Over the last few years, artists such as Calvin Harris and David Guetta have been at the forefront of the latest movement for Electronic Dance Music. Between the 2, I'm only aware of Calvin Harris providing vocals on his tracks and even that was essentially just him speaking.

Lady Gaga is perhaps the biggest personality linked to EDM but the vocalist that seems to be in demand is Sia Furler, normally just known as Sia. She has done vocals with David Guetta on several occasions, as well as work with Flo Rida and Zero 7.

The last couple of years have seen her sing on some of the biggest tunes as well as contribute to co-writing with artists such as Rihanna, Madonna, Ne Yo and Rita Ora, but is this enough for her to be considered the voice of EDM? Is it Gaga, or anyone else?

Interesting thread, man. I thought at first that you were going to argue that either Harris or Guetta has supplanted Daft Punk as THE defining act of EDM, but I was pleasantly surprised.

As for who is, literally, the voice of EDM, I go with Rihanna. Lady Gaga has done some EDM collaborations but no other popular singer has embraced EDM in their albums as much as Rihanna has. Without hits like "Only Girl (In the World)" and "We Found Love," I don't think EDM would be anywhere as near as accepted as it now is.

Rihanna is certainly a good shout. 'We found love' is the song I've actually heard referred to a few times by social commentators as the song that typified what the current version of EDM is all about.

Nicki Minaj is another singer I had considered but I think she is more similar to Gaga in that her personality and eccentricities are perhaps bigger than her music, but songs like Starships, Pound The Alarm and Turn Me On are certainly in that same bracket as We Found Love.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back