• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Use of Real Names

Rockyfolifebo!!!

Pre-Show Stalwart
Ok, so idk if this thread has been done before, but I thought it'd be pretty cool to talk about this. So wrestling has always used real names. I'm not talking about as ring names, I'm talking breaking kayfabe use. Example: the other week when CM Punk had that confrontation with HHH. Punk said "This isn't CM Punk talking to Triple H, this is Phil Brooks talking to Paul Leveque". It kind of stunned me, because sometimes I forget that these guys have real names, ya know? Point being, real names being used on t.v when they're not supposed to breaks kayfabe. It leaves many fans, especially kids, confused. So is it bad when they do that? Does it add to the realism? What is usually your reaction?

GO!

I don't think it's that big a deal; even the most gullible person in the world would know that Hunter Hearst-Helmsley isn't Paul Levesque's real name.

To me, it adds realism to a situation and makes things feel more personal and serious.

I think it adds a level of seriousness into a storyline that could be seen as overly goofy.

A good example of this was when The Undertaker(in his satanic phase) kidnapped Stephine McMahon. Ken Shamrock came out and called out Taker and said somthing along the lines of "Your taking this too far Mark"

This being during the attitude era gave the idea that "Wow the Undertaker is really crazy" Even though it is a completly absurd storyline where he is kidnapping the bosses daughter to have a "black wedding"

In this era (Which I have dubbed the "IWC era its good to have these shots of realism, it is sort of humbling.

I hate real names used in wrestling. They set up stage names for a reason. Most of the casuals don't know Triple H's real name is Paul or Punk's is Phil. It sorta caters too much to the very few who know these guys by their real name. Undertaker has a phenomenal legacy, why the fuck would someone go around calling him Mark? Mark isn't a WWE legend. Mark doesn't have a legacy like the Undertaker. Mark isn't on the Undertaker's level in terms of success.

Not only that, but it puts everything in persepctive. When someone throws around a wrestler's real name, it's gets me thinking, who in the hell would call themselves an Undertaker, or a Rock or even something like Triple H? Real names aren't needed in wrestling (unless you use your real name) especially when everyone knows these wrestlers by another name that happens to be more widely known.

Using real names is effective, but like everything else, must be done in moderation. HHH has been going by an acronym for so long, I'm sure the younger kids never heard of Hunter Hurst Helmsley or saw him in his blueblood persona.

It always gets my attention when they use real names, but I don't want them overdoing it. That being said, I can't wait for CM Punk to call Mr. McMahon "Vincent" like he called Randy Orton "Randal"

Wrestlers NEED to use an in-ring name that is different from their real name. Their real name is like a secret identity is for a superhero, only wrestlers in casual clothes rather than ring attire are easily recognized whereas a superhero's secret identity is not. A similar principle is there though.

Their real names often sound less intimidating than their wrestling names. Does "Adam Copeland" sound like an 11 time world champion wrestler? Of course not, but "Edge" does. What if I said that "Michael Hickenbottom" was one of the best wrestlers of all time? He was, under the name of Shawn Michaels. Cena and Orton are among the few wrestling under their real name. I think all wrestlers should have separate in-ring names because it makes it easier for them to separate their private lives from their work and the in-ring names are almost always cooler.

When people wrestling under names different from their real name suddenly use a real name in promos, such as Punk calling himself "Phil" and Trips "Paul Levesque" it breaks kayfabe and the fourth wall. It feels like a big deal due to the "wrong" name being used, like if an actor gets called his real name instead of his character in the middle of shooting a movie. I always find it interesting when it happens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back