The "Unwritten Rules" of Wrestling

I came across this funny article about the "unwritten rules" of wrestling; you know, like how it suddenly becomes 500 times more difficult to throw someone over the top rope when you're competing in a battle royal as opposed to a regular match, or how EVERY WRESTLER, no matter how cunning, will fall for John Cena's Five Knuckle Shuffle setup, every time.

What are some others? Wrestling is silly in a lot of ways but IMO that's what makes it fun.

http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com/2012/04/13/the-unwritten-pro-wrestling-rulebook/

When competing in an Iron Man match, two out of three falls match, an elimination tag match, or a similar endurance-based altercation, normal maneuvers take a noticeably increased toll on the wrestler, allowing pinfalls and submissions in situations and timeframes where they would otherwise not be possible.

This has annoyed me for years.

One of many rules created by and named after Ric Flair. Have you ever given anybody a Figure Four Leglock, either as a child or as a drunken, idiotic mess (my apartment can be a strange place Monday nights)? Have you ever have the move reversed by being flipped onto your stomach, thereby “reversing the pressure”? Did it hurt any more than actually applying the move does? No, of course not. I guess you could drive the aggressor’s knees into the ground, putting a mere modicum of strain on their patellas for a few moments, but other than that, it doesn’t really hold any water, and in a ring with a padded canvas, it definitely wouldn’t accomplish anything. Yet time and time again we see the Figure Four being reversed.

Have to disagree with this one. I have put people in the figure four and I have had it reversed just like on tv. It hurt like hell.

One that I’ve always joked about is how the apron magically rejuvenates a wrestler that has just gotten his ass kicked for several minutes. This happens during a hot tag a lot. The babyface is getting beat and struggles desperately to make a tag. He seems to be completely out of energy. He finally gets the hot tag and the heels double team his partner. Within seconds the wrestler that could barely get to his partner is rejuvenated and is moving at a normal, or even fast pace to help his partner with some double team moves. It’s as if there is some sort of energy source on the apron.

I like the rule where even if a wrestler hates the Undertaker, after their Wrestlemania match they're always best buds.

95% of the time during tag team matches, faces positioned themselves on the top left side of the ring and the heels on the lower right side.

I hate when there is a heel champion defending is title and only after 10 minutes of a match he remembers that he doesn't need to win the match and loses by either countout or disqualification. I mean, why wait ten minutes?

It is absolutely necessary for a wrestling company, no matter the size of the building they are in, to store all spare chairs, ladders, tables, trash cans and everything else under the ring.

Keeping them backstage just will not do.

It is absolutely necessary for a wrestling company, no matter the size of the building they are in, to store all spare chairs, ladders, tables, trash cans and everything else under the ring.

Keeping them backstage just will not do.

Sledgehammers will magically appear only during HHH matches.

The weapon that the wrestler is looking for will always be at the edge of the ring.

Never mind the cameras, just act as though they're not even there!

Whenever two wrestlers are conspiring, one of them will leave only when there is a camera nearby.

Even if you've just done something completely deplorable and heinous like brutally attack someone from behind and injure them, the guys in the production will still be kind enough to play your theme music as you walk out.

When Hulk Hogan is Hulking up, you must try to punch him in the face, it always works. Don't, whatever you do, go to the outside to get out of his way.

If you are in a tag match, and you have isolated a partner, spend 10 minutes trying to decimate him in stead of trying to finish him off with your finisher. If you keep dominating him, there is no chance you will make a mistake at some point and he'll reach his partner.

This one is more recent and more specific to the WWE: If a match is announced as a No DQ, there WILL be interference.

If in a Battle Royal, fleet from one wrestler to the next hitting and kicking them but rarely try to eliminate anyone unless your name is from the following list; John Cena, Stone Cold, The Rock, HHH, The Undertaker, Kane, Kurt Angle, Shawn Michaels, Bret Hart... Do not, on pain of death, try to stay low or even on the outside of the ring. It stands to reason that Santino could be a guy to disobey this rule.

If in a match where weapons are allowed, don't start the match with a weapon in your hand to have the best chance of winning. Start a match wrestling and only remember part way through that weapons are legal.

Referees are, by their very nature, very gullible people. If you are a manager or partner and you attempt to distract them, they will forget about the important match they are refereeing and try to help you with whatever it is you need. They will not suspect and tomfoolery based on your long track record of distracting referees in order to help your associate cheat.

Similarly, if one wrestler is dominating another before they look away, and they are knocked stone cold out when you turn back around; suspect nothing. Even if there is glass in the ring, don't worry Mr. referee, it surely had nothing to do with the guy laid out in the ring with glass in his head.

Referees are, by their very nature, very gullible people. If you are a manager or partner and you attempt to distract them, they will forget about the important match they are refereeing and try to help you with whatever it is you need. They will not suspect and tomfoolery based on your long track record of distracting referees in order to help your associate cheat.

Similarly, referees are also very brittle, with a simple shoulder barge knocking them out for up to five minutes. By this logic, Brad Maddox should be dead after Hell in a Cell, however his wrestling training helped him not to explode into a thousand tiny pieces.

Big Show is not allowed to simply knock out any higher tier wrestler in a match, unless the match has lasted at least 10 minutes. Same goes for easier to hit moves like Sweet Chin Music or the Brough Kick.

A super kick from anybody but HBK is just a super kick. A clothesline from anybody but JBL is just a clothesline. A punch from anybody but the Big Show is just a punch. And so on. If you call it your finisher, its 100 times more deadly. This is one from the article I really agree with.

A twist of fate from Matt Hardy wins him the match. A twist of fate for Jeff is just a twist of fate.

Every TNA PPV, at least two matches involve a referee bump. One being the main event. At least it seems this way.

If your name isn't Jerry Lawler, and you are a commentator/backstage interviewer, you cannot take up for yourself.

Just ones of the top of my head.

Wrestlers suddenly develop arthritis when climbing a ladder.

Haha agreed.

Funny enough you have a Jeff Hardy avatar as you post this, I swear he is the worst for this. Remember his match with Undertaker for the title? Jeff hits Taker with a chair and then takes four hours climbing the ladder with a chance to be the champion on the line.

Also if there are tables set up in front of the ramp in a ladder match, you can almost guarantee somebody is going to be slowly tipped off a ladder and go crashing to the floor.

Lastly, no matter how much you hate somebody and wish to cripple them, make sure you take the monitors out of the commentators table before you put them through it.

Similarly, referees are also very brittle, with a simple shoulder barge knocking them out for up to five minutes. By this logic, Brad Maddox should be dead after Hell in a Cell, however his wrestling training helped him not to explode into a thousand tiny pieces.

Rumor has it that if Earl Hebner is touched one more time, he will have a compound heart attack. The average recovery time for a referee to recover after being touched is about 5 days, depending on whether there is television in that time. My favourite example might be Brian Hebner's 'there's an alien in my knee' bump.

[YOUTUBE]loVa--0srHk[/YOUTUBE]

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back