The Technology Troubleshooting Thread

There's nothing wrong with downloading Google Chrome just to use with Hudl. I haven't used Hudl myself, but I'm certainly around plenty of people who do. I don't know that changing web browsers will make that big of a difference, but it's not a big deal to try.

Hudl themselves suggest Goggle Chrome and even link it on their site.

Thank you for the answers.

I upgraded to 10 and none of my programs were affected.

Thank you.

Having some issues with Google Chrome lately. It keeps crashing randomly following a forced update by Windows earlier this week. I tried disabling extensions, a Windows Defender scan, and a re-install of Chrome following uninstalling it. It's still happening and it's very frustrating. And before anyone suggests I swap to Firefox, that browser does not seem to work on this computer. It will not play videos unless I download a plug-in, which causes the browser to crash upon install of said plug-in. So Firefox is out as an alternative.

Anyone know how I can fix this?

Having some issues with Google Chrome lately. It keeps crashing randomly following a forced update by Windows earlier this week. I tried disabling extensions, a Windows Defender scan, and a re-install of Chrome following uninstalling it. It's still happening and it's very frustrating. And before anyone suggests I swap to Firefox, that browser does not seem to work on this computer. It will not play videos unless I download a plug-in, which causes the browser to crash upon install of said plug-in. So Firefox is out as an alternative.

Anyone know how I can fix this?
Sounds like you have issues with your operating system. I'd run Malwarebytes and make sure you have all crapware taken care of. I'd guess toolbars and other adware are causing problems.

Sounds like you have issues with your operating system. I'd run Malwarebytes and make sure you have all crapware taken care of. I'd guess toolbars and other adware are causing problems.

I ran Malwarebytes and it quarantined one file. However, Chrome is still randomly crashing the same way it was earlier. Before the forced Windows update, I often got messages that Shockwave Flash was having problems, which I would just click the box in that message, the page reloads and everything was fine. Now I get a page that says "Aw, Snap!" and have to refresh everything, only to get randomly interrupted by these crashes more at random moments. It happened twice while trying to type this post.

I ran Malwarebytes and it quarantined one file. However, Chrome is still randomly crashing the same way it was earlier. Before the forced Windows update, I often got messages that Shockwave Flash was having problems, which I would just click the box in that message, the page reloads and everything was fine. Now I get a page that says "Aw, Snap!" and have to refresh everything, only to get randomly interrupted by these crashes more at random moments. It happened twice while trying to type this post.
What version of Windows are you using? Have you made sure you don't have any toolbars installed?

What version of Windows are you using? Have you made sure you don't have any toolbars installed?

8. It came with the computer so I was stuck with it when I purchased it in June of 2014. I do not have any toolbars installed to my knowledge. Where do I locate those? The uninstall/change programs screen?

I tried sending an email to my cousin who lives abroad an it just won't send. I tried my Outlook account and my Gmail account. It just won't send I keep getting a failure notification. I can send emails to other people but I just can't seem to do it to people abroad.

As our computer starts getting slower after the first year, especially the start-up, is formatting the Local Disk (C), the only/best solution to speed it back up?
I have tried CCleaner, Glary Utilities and Auslogics Disk Defrag, but I'm not seeing a noticeable difference. Is there any other software that can help?

Also, is there any way of knowing which start-up items/processes are essential for my computer and which are useless?

I tried sending an email to my cousin who lives abroad an it just won't send. I tried my Outlook account and my Gmail account. It just won't send I keep getting a failure notification. I can send emails to other people but I just can't seem to do it to people abroad.
Umm, there are several factors at play here:

1) Is your cousin's e-mail address working?
2) Are you sending from a computer or phone/table?
3) Can your cousin use gmail?
As our computer starts getting slower after the first year, especially the start-up, is formatting the Local Disk (C), the only/best solution to speed it back up?
Well, formatting will speed it up...but you'll lose everything.

Make sure you're using the Windows disk defragmenter. That is usually one of the best ways to speed up the machine. Additionally, you need to see what's eating your resources. You can do this by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del, and sorting your "Processes" tab by Memory and/or CPU. If something is eating your resources, you should see it here.

Find out what's eating your resources and get back to me.

Also, is there any way of knowing which start-up items/processes are essential for my computer and which are useless?
Google them. That's really the best/only way.

My laptop is relatively new I think, it was a birthday present. It broke a few weeks ago due to a crash while updating that occured out of the blue. Prior to that I was going to update to Windows 10. However the laptop was under guarantee so when it was repaired and brought back to me I was told to not update to Windows 10 as the laptop "doesn't have the speed". Is this an actual thing? The specs are: Celeron CPU N2840 @2.16GHz with 8gb RAM. It is currently running Windows 8.1.

The make is Lenovo.
EDIT: This is the model however it has 8gb of RAM
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lenovo-15-6-Inch-Celeron-Processor-Bluetooth/dp/B00SU3SB6E

I seem to use up most of my ram just trying to vectorize something on Illustrator. And when I close it goes back to normal

I'm using CS2 that I got for free online (Adobe were giving it away for free)

EDIT: I checked the file size and it's 4.53 MB. I'm wondering is it something to do with the file size because the other images I vectorize aren't that big

I seem to use up most of my ram just trying to vectorize something on Illustrator. And when I close it goes back to normal

I'm using CS2 that I got for free online (Adobe were giving it away for free)

EDIT: I checked the file size and it's 4.53 MB. I'm wondering is it something to do with the file size because the other images I vectorize aren't that big
Are you sure it is your RAM and not your CPU? If you're not sure how to check, do a Ctrl+Alt+Del and open your task manager. If you're using Windows 7, it should tell you at the bottom of the task manager. If you have Windows 8 or 10, I'm not sure where it is.

But open that up, do whatever task you are doing which kills your PC, and see if it is your RAM or your CPU usage which gets taxed.

Are you sure it is your RAM and not your CPU? If you're not sure how to check, do a Ctrl+Alt+Del and open your task manager. If you're using Windows 7, it should tell you at the bottom of the task manager. If you have Windows 8 or 10, I'm not sure where it is.

But open that up, do whatever task you are doing which kills your PC, and see if it is your RAM or your CPU usage which gets taxed.

The CPU percentage jumps to 30% and the Physical memory jumps to 82% when I start vectorizing

Hmm...that shouldn't kill your computer. It's high usage, but it still should be usable. And yes, having a larger file size could explain the difference.

Well I compressed the image and and that seems to have worked. Turns out the dimensions were 3508 x 4961 which would probably go to explaining why it was eating up my RAM

I want to increase the size of one of my Hard Disk partitions (want to move space from the OS-drive to a non-OS drive). I can't seem to do this using the Disk Partition tool that comes with Windows 7 (I can create new partitions but can't shrink and add to the non-OS drive). What would be the simplest way to go about this without partitioning any of my drives?

I want to increase the size of one of my Hard Disk partitions (want to move space from the OS-drive to a non-OS drive). I can't seem to do this using the Disk Partition tool that comes with Windows 7 (I can create new partitions but can't shrink and add to the non-OS drive). What would be the simplest way to go about this without partitioning any of my drives?
You're confusing me a bit with your terminology. When you say "non-OS drive", are you referring to the partition which does not host your operating system? For the rest of my post, I will assume that's what you mean. If it's not, ignore the rest of this post and explain what you mean.

First of all, it's never a good idea to shrink an existing partition which hosts your operating system. For the ease of explanation, files on your computer do not line up neatly in a row on your hard drive, they basically land the first place they can find. While it won't necessarily corrupt your operating system, shrinking your operating system COULD lead to inability to boot into Windows 7.

However, if you are sure this is what you want to do, I recommend downloading GParted and burning it to a disc (use ImgBurn, since you want to make the disc bootable). Once you have GParted on a disc, place it in your DVD-Rom drive and reboot your computer. You might have to go into your BIOS and change your boot order to have your DVD-Rom drive boot before your hard drive. Once you boot with GParted, it's fairly obvious how to adjust your existing partitions, allocating how much space on the disk you want to each partition.

Again, remember it's generally advised not to shrink existing partitions which host your operating system (unless you simply don't care to reinstall Windows in a worst case scenario).

Since Netflix has cut down on proxy/DNS servers I can't access US netflix and watch stuff I like. I was thinking of using the Unlocator service but i just wanted to know if it was safe to use

Does anyone know how to fix the error 8001000A on PS3?

I've tried restoring the system settings to default, I've tried changing the DNS settings. Best I can get is a connection at the initial set up and then it just stops. It can't even connect to the modem which is weird as my 360, PC and phone can all do it fine.

Does anyone know how to fix the error 8001000A on PS3?

I've tried restoring the system settings to default, I've tried changing the DNS settings. Best I can get is a connection at the initial set up and then it just stops. It can't even connect to the modem which is weird as my 360, PC and phone can all do it fine.

I will say it works fine through an ethernet cable

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back