The Sly Cooper Series

FunKay the Inevitable

People Like Me, We Don't Play
Many of you may have at one point, or another played the Sly Cooper series of games. The series centred on a racoon named Sly Cooper who would be attempted to live up to his family's reputation as the greatest thieving family in the world, and at the same time, trying to avenge them in one form or another. It was one of the best series to grace the PlayStation 2. They were produced by Sucker Punch, these days more well known for producing the inFamous series (which itself contains numerous mentions to the Sly series).

The first game came out in 2002/2003 (depending on where you lived in the world) and was entitled Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus. It detailed the story of Sly taking on the Fiendish Five, a series of fiends who killed his family and stole the clan's precious manual on how to be a great thief; The Thievius Raccoonus. It was a fun filled game with a variety of different levels and missions, somewhat similar to Crash Bandicoot. Sly would then face each of the five bosses once he'd finished each and every mission in there section of the game. It was all good fun, and the villains offered a different threat every time.

There series returned in 2004 with Sly 2: Band of Thieves which is the best received of the series so far. It's story links into the first and details the story of Sly and his crew (who are playable for the first time) trying to take back the parts of the main antagonist from the first game's body. It offered an almost totally new system, but kept the same premise, characters, and offered a similar structure overall. It also takes much longer to complete compared to the first. The final instalment was 2005's Sly 3: Honor Among Thieves which was similar to the second in the series, but included new characters, a new storyline and expanded on the gameplay from the second.

In 2010, all three games were re-released in one disc for the PlayStation 3 by the company Sanzaru Games. Sanzaru are taking over from Sucker Punch for the foreseeable future and formally announced earlier this year that in 2012, Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time is coming out. It's a game with some excitement behind it and fans of the series are eagerly awaiting it's release, however aren't sure how Sanzaru will handle the series, and are being somewhat cautious. Here is the game's trailer;

[YOUTUBE]L9aqzsXj85I[/YOUTUBE]​

So folks, what are your thoughts on the series and the upcoming game? For me, Sly Cooper was a fascinating series as a kid. It was fun, adventurous and a little scary (the last villain in the first game scared the shit out of me and still creeps me out somewhat). I had great fun playing it and it was always a fairly rewarding experience. When it comes to the next game, I'm really looking forward to seeing what Sanzaru are going to come up with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back