• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Greatest World Series

The Brain

King Of The Ring
The title is self explanatory so let’s get right to it. My choice is the 1991 series between the Twins and the Braves. This was a unique series as it featured two teams who went from worst to first. Both Minnesota and Atlanta finished in last place in 1990 and ended up in the World Series in 1991. The series was back and forth going the full seven games with the home team winning each game. Only two games were decided by more than one run and three games went into extra innings.

Minnesota came home down three games to two. Kirby Puckett, who already made a great catch against the center field wall, hit a walk off home run in the 11th inning to force a game seven. I’ll never forget Jack Buck’s simple yet brilliant call “and we’ll see you…tomorrow night.” Game seven was an awesome pitcher duel between Jack Morris and John Smoltz. After nine scoreless innings Minnesota finally won the series with a walk off hit in the bottom of the tenth.

I came close to picking the 2001 series between the Diamondbacks and Yankees. It certainly had its share of excitement and drama. Like 1991 the series went the distance with the home team winning each game. There was also a walk off win in game seven to end the series. If games one and six weren’t such blowouts I may have picked 2001.

Honorable mentions go to 1997 and 2002 which brings up another question. I mentioned each series that have gone to seven games in the last 20 years (hard to believe there have been only four). Does a series need to go seven games to be considered one of the best?

One final note. I’m sure over the course of 100 plus years more deserve mention, but I chose to comment on only ones I’ve seen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back