The Root of All WWE Problems Today Lie Within The Developmental System

Kayoh

Deciding if I want to join WZCW.
As much as I love the CM Punk character and his mission for change in the WWE, there is no change that will fix the true issue, at the core of the WWE: The Developmental System. Look back to the years from (I'd say) 1996 to 2005-ish. This time period saw the popularity of Pro Wrestling at an all-time high. Why? Because until WWE bought WCW, there was competition, and after WWE bought WCW, the WWE had a massively deep roster. Everybody felt like they were, could be, or had at one point been a Main Eventer, and it kept them relevant and made even mid-card storylines matter.

Michaels
Undertaker
Kane
Austin
Rock
Foley
Triple H
Big Show
Jericho
Guerrero
Benoit
Angle
Goldberg
Lesnar
Edge

That list is massive, and every single one of those men relevant at one time or another between 1999 and 2005. I'm using 1999 as my starting point because it's a good six year comparison. Since 2005, what main eventers have we had?

Cena
Orton
Batista
Mysterio
Jericho
Triple H
JBL
Jeff Hardy
Edge
CM Punk

...and that's it. It seems like a decent sized list. Obviously not as bulky as the first one, but still decent. Now think about this: LITERALLY NONE of the names on EITHER LIST was a product of the FCW system. Not a single one. Mysterio, Triple H, Jericho, JBL, Hardy and Edge are all carry-overs from the Attitude Era and aren't relevant today. You could say Triple H is, and Jericho will be when he comes back, but Mysterio is done AT LEAST for another 6 months, JBL isn't coming back, and neither are Hardy or Edge. Cena, Orton and Batista are products of the Jim Cornette-run OVW and got put over by the stars in that first list. CM Punk stands out because he's the only one who established a name for himself outside of the WWE over the last 6 years who is now relevant in the main event picture. On the other hand, look at THIS list:

Benoit
Mysterio
Guerrero
Austin
Foley
Angle
Jericho
CM Punk

All eight of those men worked around the world before they got into the WWE. They built up a reputation and honed their skills before signing. If you want to know what is wrong with the WWE today and why they aren't creating any more superstars, it's because of their developmental system. The problem with only using ONE federation (FCW) as your developmental "system" (how can you call it a system? It's a goddamned farm team, for christ's sake) is that there is no room for growth. There's never going to be anyone in that system who ever grows because you can only ever get as good as the best guy who's already there. And if the WWE keeps on calling up the best guys there, the talent level just keeps getting lower and lower, slowly but surely.

That's exactly why there was such a boom in the late 90s and early 2000s. Talented guys who were working to get into wrestling in the 90s were found, but not necessarily ONLY by WWE; some were found and developed by WWE (Kane, Taker, Edge, Hardy, Rock, Austin) but some were found and established by WCW (Mysterio, Jericho, Benoit, Jericho, Goldberg) and it created a boom of huge wrestling stars when WWE bought WCW because now they had a stacked card. WWE can't create a ton of new stars NOW because they never did in the first place. That's exactly why it's so vital that WWE has competition. With no competition, the WWE has monopolized the wrestling industry and now has its own pipeline that all of its stars run through. Sin Cara was out-popping Orton, so the WWE slapped a 30 day suspension on him to put a stop to that. That's what happens when the WWE brings in somebody who built up their prestige somewhere else - they out-pop WWE's already established so-called "stars". Pro Wrestling can not be monopolized - it will die. And it isn't immune just because it will always have fans. Fans will stop watching if a product gets bad. What would happen if John Cena would die in a tragic accident tomorrow? There IS NO back-up plan for that. Cena, and to a MUCH lesser degree, Orton, is the only lifeline the WWE has left. That's why it's so important to have competition, because competition creates controversy, and controversy creates interest. Interest creates cash. Bischoff leaves the interest part out, but fuck him.

The way I see it, one of two things needs to happen in order to literally SAVE the wrestling business from a slow, but inevitable death. Option one is that the WWE needs to re-work its developmental system so that it has multiple territories COMPETING with EACH OTHER, while sharing talent and allowing everybody to grow within the system. Option two is that somehow, some way, a legitimate threat to the WWE needs to rise up and create some goddamned competition for the first time in over ten years. Without one of those two things happening, the WRESTLING BUSINESS AS A WHOLE WILL DIE. I'm not saying that because I like being dramatic, I don't - you guys should know that by now. I'm saying that because it's true. The WWE's so-called "stars" have been getting less and less relevant as time goes on, and when Cena and Orton retire, the audience will cut in half. Just like it did when Rock and Austin left. When Vince McMahon said "I can create another John Cena", he was talking out his ass. You probably thought you could create another Rock, too, didn't you, Vince? And another Austin? How's that going for you? Not so well.

What I, personally, would like to see, is a multiple promotion developmental system. Keep FCW and keep Keirn and Smiley there, but at the same time give Jim Ross a promotion to run in Oklahoma, give Lawler a promotion in Tennesee, give Booker T a promotion in Texas, and for God's sake get in touch with the guys at OVW and re-attach them to your pipeline, keeping Cornette as the head guy there. If you can agree to terms, give Paul Heyman a promotion in Philadelphia - Heyman would love to have an opportunity to re-do ECW his way without needing to be the guy handling the money, I'm sure. There needs to be at least 4-5 promotions that all work together, competing to see who can make the most money and the most stars. If the WWE funds these promotions AND picks up all of the proceeds, I see no downfall. In the simplest way I can put it, re-create the territory system where the WWE still owns every territory, but they're at least creating the illusion of competition, AND allowing its talents to work with a broader range of talents, styles and audiences.

That being said, what do you guys think would be a good solution to the WWE's developmental system? I'm telling you there's a problem, and I've already stated what my solution to said problem would be, but I'm interested in hearing everybody else's opinion - what would you do to improve this piece of shit system that the WWE has been using for four years now?

ORIGINAL

I would say the lack of competition is more of the problem for the lack of the top talent they once had. Than the development system is, I do agree the WWE needs to have more than one territory. Hopefully they do one day turn Storm Wrestling Academy into a WWE development territory. Lance Storm is a very talented wrestler and trainer and I think it would be great to have a WWE training sytem in Canada. Where a lot of great talent come from. It wouldn't hurt to have more than two development systems, I don't think it's necessary.

Guys like Batista, Angle, Benjamin, Cena, Orton, Lesnar, Henry, The Miz and many others even The Rock. Came from earlier developmental systems whether it was OVW, DSW or after they turned the USWA into a developmental system. CM Punk learned the WWE style at OVW so I think the system does work.

FCW hasn't produced as many top stars as past developmental systems have yet. However I wouldn't call it a piece of shit yet it's only been around for four years or so and has produced some decent talent. Kofi, Ziggler, Swager, Mason Ryan, Sheamus, Cody Rhodes, Dibease JR, Riley, Bourne all the Nexus members and others have come from FCW. Del Rio and Bryan learned the WWE style there. I know that list isn't anywhere as impressive as the first list. However many of them have had descent pushes and won championships already.

Only time will tell if FCW becomes a major success for WWE. Or how many major stars it produces. In my opinion it has been pretty successful so far. When you consider the fact they've produced four world champions and many other US, IC, and tag champions.

As much as I love the CM Punk character and his mission for change in the WWE, there is no change that will fix the true issue, at the core of the WWE: The Developmental System. Look back to the years from (I'd say) 1996 to 2005-ish. This time period saw the popularity of Pro Wrestling at an all-time high. Why? Because until WWE bought WCW, there was competition, and after WWE bought WCW, the WWE had a massively deep roster. Everybody felt like they were, could be, or had at one point been a Main Eventer, and it kept them relevant and made even mid-card storylines matter.

Michaels
Undertaker
Kane
Austin
Rock
Foley
Triple H
Big Show
Jericho
Guerrero
Benoit
Angle
Goldberg
Lesnar
Edge

That list is massive, and every single one of those men relevant at one time or another between 1999 and 2005. I'm using 1999 as my starting point because it's a good six year comparison. Since 2005, what main eventers have we had?

Cena
Orton
Batista
Mysterio
Jericho
Triple H
JBL
Jeff Hardy
Edge
CM Punk

...and that's it. It seems like a decent sized list. Obviously not as bulky as the first one, but still decent. Now think about this: LITERALLY NONE of the names on EITHER LIST was a product of the FCW system. Not a single one. Mysterio, Triple H, Jericho, JBL, Hardy and Edge are all carry-overs from the Attitude Era and aren't relevant today. You could say Triple H is, and Jericho will be when he comes back, but Mysterio is done AT LEAST for another 6 months, JBL isn't coming back, and neither are Hardy or Edge. Cena, Orton and Batista are products of the Jim Cornette-run OVW and got put over by the stars in that first list. CM Punk stands out because he's the only one who established a name for himself outside of the WWE over the last 6 years who is now relevant in the main event picture. On the other hand, look at THIS list:

Benoit
Mysterio
Guerrero
Austin
Foley
Angle
Jericho
CM Punk

All eight of those men worked around the world before they got into the WWE. They built up a reputation and honed their skills before signing. If you want to know what is wrong with the WWE today and why they aren't creating any more superstars, it's because of their developmental system. The problem with only using ONE federation (FCW) as your developmental "system" (how can you call it a system? It's a goddamned farm team, for christ's sake) is that there is no room for growth. There's never going to be anyone in that system who ever grows because you can only ever get as good as the best guy who's already there. And if the WWE keeps on calling up the best guys there, the talent level just keeps getting lower and lower, slowly but surely.

That's exactly why there was such a boom in the late 90s and early 2000s. Talented guys who were working to get into wrestling in the 90s were found, but not necessarily ONLY by WWE; some were found and developed by WWE (Kane, Taker, Edge, Hardy, Rock, Austin) but some were found and established by WCW (Mysterio, Jericho, Benoit, Jericho, Goldberg) and it created a boom of huge wrestling stars when WWE bought WCW because now they had a stacked card. WWE can't create a ton of new stars NOW because they never did in the first place. That's exactly why it's so vital that WWE has competition. With no competition, the WWE has monopolized the wrestling industry and now has its own pipeline that all of its stars run through. Sin Cara was out-popping Orton, so the WWE slapped a 30 day suspension on him to put a stop to that. That's what happens when the WWE brings in somebody who built up their prestige somewhere else - they out-pop WWE's already established so-called "stars". Pro Wrestling can not be monopolized - it will die. And it isn't immune just because it will always have fans. Fans will stop watching if a product gets bad. What would happen if John Cena would die in a tragic accident tomorrow? There IS NO back-up plan for that. Cena, and to a MUCH lesser degree, Orton, is the only lifeline the WWE has left. That's why it's so important to have competition, because competition creates controversy, and controversy creates interest. Interest creates cash. Bischoff leaves the interest part out, but fuck him.

The way I see it, one of two things needs to happen in order to literally SAVE the wrestling business from a slow, but inevitable death. Option one is that the WWE needs to re-work its developmental system so that it has multiple territories COMPETING with EACH OTHER, while sharing talent and allowing everybody to grow within the system. Option two is that somehow, some way, a legitimate threat to the WWE needs to rise up and create some goddamned competition for the first time in over ten years. Without one of those two things happening, the WRESTLING BUSINESS AS A WHOLE WILL DIE. I'm not saying that because I like being dramatic, I don't - you guys should know that by now. I'm saying that because it's true. The WWE's so-called "stars" have been getting less and less relevant as time goes on, and when Cena and Orton retire, the audience will cut in half. Just like it did when Rock and Austin left. When Vince McMahon said "I can create another John Cena", he was talking out his ass. You probably thought you could create another Rock, too, didn't you, Vince? And another Austin? How's that going for you? Not so well.

What I, personally, would like to see, is a multiple promotion developmental system. Keep FCW and keep Keirn and Smiley there, but at the same time give Jim Ross a promotion to run in Oklahoma, give Lawler a promotion in Tennesee, give Booker T a promotion in Texas, and for God's sake get in touch with the guys at OVW and re-attach them to your pipeline, keeping Cornette as the head guy there. If you can agree to terms, give Paul Heyman a promotion in Philadelphia - Heyman would love to have an opportunity to re-do ECW his way without needing to be the guy handling the money, I'm sure. There needs to be at least 4-5 promotions that all work together, competing to see who can make the most money and the most stars. If the WWE funds these promotions AND picks up all of the proceeds, I see no downfall. In the simplest way I can put it, re-create the territory system where the WWE still owns every territory, but they're at least creating the illusion of competition, AND allowing its talents to work with a broader range of talents, styles and audiences.

That being said, what do you guys think would be a good solution to the WWE's developmental system? I'm telling you there's a problem, and I've already stated what my solution to said problem would be, but I'm interested in hearing everybody else's opinion - what would you do to improve this piece of shit system that the WWE has been using for four years now?

ORIGINAL

I agree to a certain point.

This is why I miss ECW. Like Bubba Ray said "At the end ECW was just the farm system for the WWE" and he was right. ECW today would be considered the northeast developmental territory. Headquarters are in Connecticut so keeping an eye on talent would be a lot easier, they can keep FCW reestablish the OVW relationship with Eugene not Cornette. I like your idea for JR but having Booker and King run a developmental in the same region is a bit of a stretch the only problem is the west coast.

The only problem that I have with your post is the old argument that WWE doesn't care about stars they did not build up. Last time I checked Austin was in WCW as Steve Austin and anyone who watched both promotions back in the 80's knew Taker was Mean Mark and the list goes on and on but good post.

I'm gonna have to disagree with you to an extent. I live in FL and attend many live FCW events and watch the show on TV each week, and while there are certainly some guys I feel confident in saying will never amount to anything there is some serious talent down here, just watch Ambrose/Rollins 30 min match for evidence. And like was already said, FCW hasn't been around all that long, but it has already produced many of the stars currently on TV.

It takes a LOT to become a top level talent in pro-wrestling, and most of the guys you listed all had YEARS of experience on the independents, in WCW or ECW, wrestled all over the world, trained with some very famous trainers, etc.

I'd say above all else, the biggest reason most of the FCW talent hasn't amount to more yet is because WWE hasn't allowed them to, aided with the fact they have no legitimate competition forcing them to create stars. Several FCW bred talents have already held multiple WWE championships at this point though, so you can't really say all their problems are in developmental. Though I will say they could certainly benefit from more developmental systems, and a healthy competition from a rival organization.

While I like the 'idea' of multiple farm systems, I don't think it as needed as portrayed. They have the power ($$$) to virtually sign anyone they want from any Independent promotion. They bring them to FCW to learn the "WWE Style" which means, IMO, working the bigger ring, a slower pace, and delete some precieved bad habits. Only downside is that I've noticed that personality wise (stick work)...FCW can use some help.

I've noticed that every now and then WWE will sign someone from OVW to FCW, Ziggler's brother (Briley Pierce) is the latest example. They've taken Tyler Black from ROH, currently looking at guys in EVOLVE and Dragon Gate. WWE can cherry-pick talent from anywhere...even TNA, if they wanted to. You've mentioned Mistico (Sin Cara) from Mexico.

They technically HAVE multi-systems without having to actually fund them themselves. And instead of hiring someone to teach all of the basics to advanced stuff in several different territories, they bring them into FCW to teach them all the same way. It's like WWE's "Top Gun" flight school.

Can vince make another John Cena? Maybe not. But he's done a good, if not great job moving on after Hogan, Austin, and Rock left. I feel he will still manage when Cena is done. There will be someone comparable that Cena/Orton/Miz/Del Rio will put over and life will go on.

WWE sprinkles in some internet darlings (Bryan/Punk/Tyler Black) to keep the IWC 'happy'.

They get international stars (S.Cara/Del Rio) and push foreign talent (Barrett/Sheamus) to keep the international fans happy.

They still, at times, build stories that brings unpredictability (Nexus/Punk's Contract/Sin Cara) to the fans....keeps interests.

WWE still manages to pump out effective heels (Miz/Del Rio/Henry).

I don't think there is a lot 'wrong' with the product now. It will still survive, hold the kids, keep the fans who were kids for a while, and not really lose die hards. It will not 'die' as previously stated.

I think of WWE like 'Sesame Street'. While everyone will eventually outgrow it, it is a staple that will always appeal to it's target. And as that's happening, those who outgrow it will still hold what they've experienced close to them.

i agree with you on a lot of what you said, though Bxbigshow made some great points as well. I think a big part of the problem has just been the death of the territories where guys honed their craft for years before making it to the WWE. Another thing that has died out is the use of jobbers, even future top talent were jobbers at one point (hardys, rvd, edge, AJ). The majority of superstars coming up now are either reality winners or just have one thing going for them and learning on the job (see Nexus or even Legacy to some degree).

Another problem is what is going on with competition nowadays. Everyone wants to be the next ECW and not the next WCW. By that, I mean everyone is trying to find some kind of niche market and hope to capture attention that way, which creates "exciting and different " promotions like ROH or TNA for instance, but it doesn't not help bring up talent that could work a WWE match. WCW was very similar to WWE coming up, they had similar matches and differences were just in production etc, and it is why talent so easily could go back and forth between the two companies. There is nothing wrong with being WCW (it was the top company for a while) and if someone tries to replicate THAT instead of trying to stand out as something different then we could see some real talent coming through each company.

Only those as old as me will remember the Macho Mans appearance on TNT.( Tuesday Night Titans) you had ALL the managers there vying for his services...Mr. Fuji....Bobby Heenan...and the thing was EVERYONE knew who Randy Savage was and why was that? His time in Mid-South. I agree...being from Louisville KY that I saw Savage...Cena(the Prototype).... Batista (Leviathan) and a green Lesnar that there needs to be a little more "seasoning" before the big show. And who did the Macho Man choose? Miss Liz of course : )

I agree with most of your points. I believe to get things better, WWE needs competition. WWE doesn't need them to be on WWE's level, but a wrestling company with a TV deal would help. I don't care if you like them or not, but TNA is doing a good job to an extent in that regard. The important thing is to give opportunities for wrestlers to shine. WWE can't make them all shine at the same time. I wish they can, but it's practically impossible. When you look at the success of the guys like Anderson and the Pope, for them to shine, they need different companies, more than just one. That's how the guys who don't get enough opportunities in one company can "bring their talents" to other companies. When Austin and Rock came to WWE, WWE was the inferior company, but they were able to make Stone Cold from Ringmaster and the Rock from Rockymaivia. As long as they have opportunities to shine, wrestlers can improve themselves and become main events, even hall of famers.

Michaels
Undertaker
Kane
Austin
Rock
Foley
Triple H
Big Show
Jericho
Guerrero
Benoit
Angle
Goldberg
Lesnar
Edge

That list is massive, and every single one of those men relevant at one time or another between 1999 and 2005.
Edge wasn't a main-eventer until 2006. Lesnar was only there for a cup of coffee. Same with Goldberg. Eddie got bumped to the main event in 2004, and died in 2005.

That list isn't nearly as impressive as you are trying to make it look, at least in terms of numbers.

I'm using 1999 as my starting point because it's a good six year comparison. Since 2005, what main eventers have we had?

Cena
Orton
Batista
Mysterio
Jericho
Triple H
JBL
Jeff Hardy
Edge
CM Punk

...and that's it. It seems like a decent sized list. Obviously not as bulky as the first one, but still decent.
You forgot Sheamus, Khali, Mark Henry, Big Show, Chris Benoit, and now Christian. If you're going to include Lesnar, Goldberg etc., than those guys are just as deserving to be on the list.

Now think about this: LITERALLY NONE of the names on EITHER LIST was a product of the FCW system.
Cena, Punk, Batista and Orton all worked in Ohio Valley Wrestling, a development territory of the WWE. Sheamus was in FCW. Khali was in Deep South Wrestling, another development territory.

My point? My point is that the WWE's development system HAS worked. FCW didn't open until after the WWE severed ties with OVW (or, more accurately, the WWE severed ties with OVW because FCW opened). The idea the WWE should spend MORE money on guys who will never make it is absurd. You're going to run 6 different territories, just so you MIGHT get 3 decent workers every 5 years? What a terrible waste of money.

No, just like you mentioned guys like Cena and Orton got put over by the Triple H's and JBL's of the world, the next generation will be put over by the Cenas and Ortons of the world. The idea the WWE should throw money down the drain for no monetary benefit doesn't make sense.

Their current system is working. The problem isn't with the way talent is developed, but rather with the desire of the talent to learn. I watch all of these indy promotions, including ROH, and these guys don't even try to learn how to work a match. They just go out into the ring and do whatever fancy moves might get someone to ooh and ahh, never realize they are completely missing the point of pro wrestling.

Pro wrestling requires dedication, and it requires the understanding there's always something else to learn, always something you can better yourself at. Just from what I've watched over the years, I don't get the impression a lot of guys understand that. And those that do, are usually the ones you see at the top of the card, like Cena and Orton, who have improved tremendously since the early 2000s.

Their current system is working. The problem isn't with the way talent is developed, but rather with the desire of the talent to learn. I watch all of these indy promotions, including ROH, and these guys don't even try to learn how to work a match. They just go out into the ring and do whatever fancy moves might get someone to ooh and ahh, never realize they are completely missing the point of pro wrestling.

Pro wrestling requires dedication, and it requires the understanding there's always something else to learn, always something you can better yourself at. Just from what I've watched over the years, I don't get the impression a lot of guys understand that. And those that do, are usually the ones you see at the top of the card, like Cena and Orton, who have improved tremendously since the early 2000s.

When I watch indy promotions I get the same feeling. I don't want to see spot fest followed by another spot fest and the crowd chanting "this is wrestling" because it's not. Where's the ring psychology the charisma the entertainment. To me it's not the only the indy wrestlers that don't get it it's the fans who tell them what they're doing is right and what WWE does is wrong and when a main event wrestler improves the fans don't see it because most of them have this notion that if you can't do fancy spots your what's bad for pro wrestling.

if you consider a main eventer someone who is only in stories/fueds with main event stars then id have to say the spirit squad. but that was ovw.

but complaining that none of the guys "not a single one" lol, is from fcw well no shit sherlock. they had a deal with ovw in the era youre mad about, where batista came from.

cena is another guy from ovw. orton too. and lesnar.

so the development system is working your argument is just all wrong. you cant bitch about development not working while only focusing on people from fcw when ovw had MUCH success.

given time fcw will have successful guys too. oh wait they already did. miz. and sheamus. and i could keep going if i gave a shit.

One problem that I do see, and maybe lack of major competition can be blamed, is that these young FCW guys debut a bit too early. Hear me out:

Remember Terra Ryzing in WCW, basically a jobber who scratched lower midcard. When the person playing him was reinvented to Jean-Paul Levesque, he didn't cut great promos, but he had ring time and a mentor in Lord Steven(William) Regal. By the time he made it to WWE he debuted as Hunter Hearst Helmsley he still needed some more seasoning, but he was in all rights and purposes...ready.

Imagine if Triple H...excuse me "Terra Ryzing" debuted at 25 years old in today's WWE? He would've never had the chance to become "Triple H". All of his "green-ness" would've been on display via National TV. And the IWC would've killed him.

I still feel that some of these guys debut too early in their development to their detriment. I remember Ted DiBiase Jr's first few promos & they were horrid. And to be honest, he started behind the 8-ball and never fully recovered. Maybe if he had MORE time in FCW before he came up, he could've improved or at least learn how to adapt his character.

Mark Calloway had many different incarnations before he hit with The Undertaker. One can argue that the different territories he worked in helped, but you can also argue that him not being completly exposed from jump also helped.

i think fcw is good the problem really lies in the indivduals who they sign. Im not sure how long cena or orton did fcw, including brock and batista who were from a good batch... but they became major stars but had to develop on wwe tv as they go along. WWe should keep a C show to test the guys out which was ecw or a new show to take the space of superstars. ecw did great in launching kofi, evan, and punk...but as we all know there were guys who didnt have the depth like thorn anf burke who just didnt have the wwe it factor

Since 2005, what main eventers have we had?

Cena
Orton
Batista
Mysterio
Jericho
Triple H
JBL
Jeff Hardy
Edge
CM Punk

...and that's it.

So... Miz, who headlined Wrestlemania, is not a Main Eventer? Sheamus, 2 time WWE champion, not a Main Eventer? Kane, with the most dominant World Heavyweight Championship run in years, not a main eventer? Undertaker, multiple champions and a fixture of every 'mania, not a main eventer? Mark Henry, greatest success of his career, not a main eventer? Christian, 2 time World Heavyweight Champion, not a main eventer? I'm sorry, sir, you may have some valid arguments regarding flaws in the developmental system, but you lost me at that grossly inaccurate list of the "only" main eventers of the passed 6 years...

Oh look.. another statement that's supposed to be claiming the OP knows something and is supposed to rattle our attention and appear controversial. *yawn*

First... describe a "main eventer." Because if it's everybody that's ever appeared in a main event (or hell... even a WWE or WHC title match) in some capacity, you forgot R-Truth, Morrison, Khali, Christian, Big Show, Miz, Sheamus, Mark Henry, Vladamir Kozlov, Ziggler, your current champion ALBERTO DEL RIO, and I'm too tired to go on.

The quality of today's product has little to nothing to do with developmental. It has to do with nobody pushing the creative limit because they don't have any competition. If you're the only game in town (like the WWE is), you're going to relax. You're not going to press and push to try to get the best out of everybody as far as creative goes. They're going to come up with "good ideas." Not very many are going to come up with "great ideas." It's a lot like retail stores.
Look at Wal-Mart. The employees there don't know anything about anything. They just put shit places to hope you buy it. That's why absolutely nothing Wal-Mart does will ever be ground-breaking or exciting. Because it's a stale place. But it was obviously great at one time because they are in the position they are in now. They may not have employees that give it 110%, but they are a consistent place. That's the WWE. Consistent. No longer ground-breaking. Now imagine if some store popped up and Wal-Mart lost 25% of its customers and made 25% less money in the year because there's a new better sexy store in town. Wal-Mart would have to do something to make people shop there. In this case, refer back to WCW and the Monday Night Wars. A younger, hungrier company came up, did something creative and interesting (the NWO), and gave the WWE a run for its money. That brought the best out of the WWE which is why this time of wrestling was so damn good. But nobody is pushing the WWE or its creative department. So it won't be amazing. It will be good. It will be safe. It will be there. That's just on a creative aspect. I'm not even going into a ring work argument because it's really not worth it. End of the day, creative writing has more to do with it than anything. Because if it's creative and good, you can hide other flaws in it.

To the OP

You've got a big part of the problem right there, but I feel there is more to it.

The first list of wrestlers you gave virtually to a man came up through the old territory system in some fashion. Not all of them of course, because even for the oldest guys there, the territories were already on the decline when they started, but they all had more opportunity to learn their craft in different areas... be exposed to different styles... and polish their own styles before hitting the national stage.

The lists after that of course, you see the decline because they didn't have the opportunity to be exposed to more than the WWE style, or at best the indy spotfest style.

But that's all just part of the problem. I think today we're not seeing the same quality of guys even get into the business. Today guys that would have potentially got into wrestling are going into MMA. It also used to be that football players who didn't quite make it in the NFL would look to wrestling as a way to make a living. The same would hold true to a lesser extent for athletes from other sports as well. Today though, there's arena football leagues and other minor-pro leagues out there where these guys can make a good living playing the sport they love.

Couple that with the lack of real money making opportunity for guys outside of the WWE or TNA, and you're left with a smaller talent pool even coming into wrestling anymore.

Think about it. You're a football player that gets cut from the NFL. You have a choice of playing in an arena league down south for $300/week + room and board, or you can pay a few grand to get some basic training on how to take bumps and run the ropes, then start hustling for as many indy dates as you can book at about $50 a pop, which will barely cover the gas you need to spend to get to your next booking. There was a time when that ex-NFLer would take the second option, but in todays climate, it really doesn't make sense for them to, and only the guys that have a real passion to be in wrestling will anymore.

Unfortunately, the way the system is set up currently, I don't see that getting any better either.

I would say that the best way to improve the developmental system would probably add 3 or more promotions onto to it in different corners of the country to try to create a makeshift recreation of the old territory system, so that young stars can move around each of the different promotions in a similar fashion to how they did back in the old days to help give them more experience and more exposure.

Since 2005, what main eventers have we had?

Cena
Orton
Batista
Mysterio
Jericho
Triple H
JBL
Jeff Hardy
Edge
CM Punk

...and that's it. It seems like a decent sized list. Obviously not as bulky as the first one, but still decent. Now think about this: LITERALLY NONE of the names on EITHER LIST was a product of the FCW system. Not a single one. Mysterio, Triple H, Jericho, JBL, Hardy and Edge are all carry-overs from the Attitude Era and aren't relevant today. You could say Triple H is, and Jericho will be when he comes back, but Mysterio is done AT LEAST for another 6 months, JBL isn't coming back, and neither are Hardy or Edge. Cena, Orton and Batista are products of the Jim Cornette-run OVW and got put over by the stars in that first list. CM Punk stands out because he's the only one who established a name for himself outside of the WWE over the last 6 years who is now relevant in the main event picture.

Here's your problem... in 2005-06 OVW, UPW, and OVW were the three developmental company for WWE, and FCW didn't come around until 2007. Therefore your list of "not from FCW" is flawed, and really so is the list of main eventers. Maybe you just haven't watched recently, but Miz and R-Truth are STILL main eventers. They may not be in the title picture, but they are main eventers. Main event and title picture are two different things, my friend. Del Rio and Mark Henry, as well as Christian, should also be put on to your list considering that they too are main eventing right. Kane and Big Show also crack into the list because even though the flaunt around upper mid-card, they can still be main event when need be. And since it's the 2005-06 time period, you also left off Kurt Angle who was a solid main eventer in WWE at the time, as was RVD before his departure.

As for the whole not using developmental talent, well Cena, CM Punk, Miz, Del Rio, Batista, and Orton ALL went through the territories before reaching the WWE. Whether it was OVW, UPW, DSW, or FCW they were all in a developmental company.

---

I will agree, however, that with there being only ONE developmental promotion WWE has backed themselves into the "cookie cutter" corner because now thanks to having so many students come from the same place, they all start to look generic and boring. Having a second development company at least gives your guys a bit of difference when being called up, and really that's a great stepping stone.

And no, Scotland Wrestling Entertainment is not a developmental company. If anything, they're just a company that's highly looked at by WWE because of the fact that Ted DiBiase Sr either owns it, books for them, or is just heavily involved with them.

None of the FCW stars got far on the main roster you say? FCW has been going around since 2008 and it has already produced one or two main eventers for the WWE.

One being Sheamus. He's been traveling through the main event and the midcard throughout his career but he's on a roll now and I don't see that ever stopping. He's already a former 2 time WWE Champion. First Irish born world champion in WWE history. Definitely a great talent that came off of FCW.

Another one is Alberto Del Rio. He was in FCW for a while before getting called up to the main roster and look where he is now. He's the WWE Champion. He's one of the top guys in the company. There's no denying that.

And you got other guys that had some time in the main event before being shoved down the midcard again.

Wade Barrett is one. He's a fantastic talent that got a great start to his career when he won NXT and became the leader of one of the most memorable stables in WWE history, The Nexus. I think it's just a matter of time before he gets back on track. His talents shouldn't be wasted.

And then you have Jack Swagger. He got a good main event push but somewhere along the line the WWE began to book him badly. I think he has great potential, he's still young and I hope he makes his way back to the main event.

My point is FCW is a decent developmental system that has produced good stars for the WWE. Not only the names that I listed above but great midcarders such as Dolph Ziggler and Alex Riley got their start in FCW and they both look like they have good futures ahead of them.

So how would I fix it? Just give them enough mic time and make them say whatever the hell they want while cutting a promo. That's the only problem with trying to get over the young guys. Wasn't that how guys like Austin got over back then? Then why the hell not do it. They've got absolutely nothing to lose if they did.

WWE Developmental system hard at work! :rolleyes:

[YOUTUBE]XIygEcH6WZE[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]CVtX1ZgcLaQ[/YOUTUBE]

Note this aired before this weeks RAW. Shows where they're heading... :disappointed:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back