• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Rock and his one night WWE Return

I don't think it will be bad for the WWE. I don't think it will be bad for fans either. I mean sure some fans will look at it and think what an amazing time it was when the WWE had the Rock. It will remind fans of old times. It will make them reminise or whatever the word is I am not sure how to spell it. It will remind people why they became fans of the WWE and it will make fans wait and hope for another man like the Rock to come along. I mean I know no one can be " The Next Rock " but I'm sure one day someone will connect on the same level he did. It is only a matter of time until they find that next really big star.

Knowing The Rock as one of the best entertainers in wrestling history, you could look at everyone else you can compare to him that it makes them look second-rate in my view. It's funny that you brought that up though. Just look at the product without guys like The Rock. What does that tell you? It's sad...

Nobody in the wrestling business today has the charisma that The Rock has and that's not an opinion, that's a fact. Top wrestlers need to take notes on how to be entertaining on the mic like The Great One. But having The Rock around will bring nostalgia in a way and it would be kind of harsh to see current stars not get the attention from the fans like he will if he'll be guest hosting. Fans (probably even kids if they know who he is) would probably care less for mostly everyone except The Rock.

Bottom line is it's not really The Rock's fault that he's still entertaining; WWE just hasn't really filled that void he left and that's been years ago. And believe me, since he left, WWE hasn't been the same.

It could be awful in the short-run, but it could be the thing that shows Vince and the current performers just how much they need to improve, and do it quickly. The ratings that RAW would get with Dwayne guest hosting would be stupidly high, and the only way they'll ever be able to reproduce those is if they can build some guy's up and allow them to just let loose on the mic and in the ring.

Very very true..for a guy who hasnt done a rock promo in over a year..he solely outbeat almost every single superstar in terms of gimmick use..the guys in the locker room need to learn from his charisma..rock might not be the greatest wrestler in history but hes definitely the greatest onthe mic no question!

I think it would be great to have The Rock guest hosting RAW!

The fans would go crazy, and it would make for such good wrestling Television.

It would however, show the WWE what it is lacking, and it would show the WWE fans what it is lacking and how bad their product is most of the time.

But I would most definately love to see The Rock host RAW

Well, we all saw the Rock's return to Smackdown tonight for the first time in probably 6 years, and thankfully, it was a good long promo. The Rock's presence was felt by all the fans and I was certainly pleased with was given to us, and was more so glad that we didn't get a 45 second piece of crap that I was afraid of. He even teased a Raw guest host appearance! Whether it was just for the fans, because it went well what he was saying (it rhymed right?) , or because he actually meant it, i'm glad WWE actually took the time to think about Smackdown and actually sit down and think, "Mmm, well, its a decade of Smackdown, so maybe we should get the guy who thought of the NAME of the show, ON THE SHOW." But, like everything else, we need to criticize something. And the promo was no exception. I just felt like we were missing something...that little extra something that made the segment special. The feeling just wasn't there, it just felt like, I was expecting more. i don't know. So my question for you is: What was your opinion on The Rock's return to SmackDown and do you think that there is a future between The Rock and WWE?

I don't know if it ws just a rush of nostalgia or what but I was actually quite pleased with the promo and I found it very enjoyable IMO. But as to a future with the company I really don't know. Hopefully he will guest host Raw eventually but as to anything else other than that I don't quite know just yet.

I thought The Rock's segment was great. Not QUITE as good as some of his previous work, but great nonetheless. I agree, it did feel like there was just a little something missing; maybe a loser interviewer to rip on, I dunno. (My dream interview is Mike Adamle interviewing The Rock)

Still, it's always a breath of fresh air whenever The Rock shows up. In a time when promos and interviews are scripted so much that breathing has to be on cue, it's refreshing to hear someone with such natural charisma come out and pretty much say whatever he wants. It's been so long since the word "ass" was used in a promo, I actually marked for it. (I refuse to count Cedric's lame use of jackass)

As far as The Rock's future with the WWE, I think guest hosting Raw is the most we can hope and expect. I highly doubt The Rock will ever wrestle another match, but guest hosting is right up his alley since all he'd have to do is talk and he'd easily be the most entertaining guest host ever.

Ever since the guest host thing was announced, I've been holding out for The Rock. I really hope he's serious about doing it because that would probably be the most entertaining Raw in some time, purely because of him.

I understand what some of you are are saying about his presence hurting the show, but honestly, can Raw really get any worse? Besides, most of the older fans watched when he was on the roster and know the product isn't as good as it used to be. The kid's probably have never seen his wrestling work and while they'll undoubtedly be entertained by him, they'll still tune in next week to see the usual guys. In short, the ratings will probably stay the same.

But let's say they don't, and fans besides the IWC notice how shit Raw and the WWE as a whole has become, would that be so bad? If anything, a decline in ratings could serve as a wake up call to Vince to step it up. After all, if ratings spike when Rock comes out and talks about kicking candy asses, laying the smackdown, and ripping on everyone and the next week Cena talks about never giving up, always showing respect and making fart jokes and ratings decline, it'd be pretty hard not to connect the dots.

That performance by The Rock reminded me of something. It reminded me of the sad state that wrestling is in. These days you never see anyone with a promo or even with the presence and charisma, that grabs the audience. Someone that makes you want to watch.

Now I am one of the people that feels The Rock sold out in a way....not for wanting to do something else but the way he went about things and talking about how wrestling is his true love and he would never fully leave it......and untill last night he had fully left it for years and years. But i have to admit i marked the hell out to see The Rock again....not Dwayne Johnson as he started the promo as.....he went fully into it and became The Rock again, even if it was for a brief moment.

In that brief moment i became a fan of wresting again, a fan of The Rock again, I felt entertained again. It's a damn shame we all know he will never ACTUALLY return because i now miss The Rock.

If he does indeed guest host though you have to ask yourself.....will he be one of the hosts that book themselves in a match? Could we possibly get one last match out of The Rock? I sure hope so, even if it's for one night, it would be great.

Yeah I just watched The Rock's promo and it just made me think about how average wrestling is right now, I mean, him ripping on CM Punk was funny mainly because CM Punk is nothing compared to The Rock, he's just a stain on his shoe. Yet he's pretty much the best Smackdown has that aint busy somewhere else, it's worrying really.

Cant criticise the promo though, it was everything we've come to expect from The Rock, electrifying, funny and it put over Undertaker vs Punk at Hell in a Cell, cant really say better than that.

Not his best promo for sure but still great..that`s how good he is. It was just great to see him back, yes for nostalgia sake. Some might say it`s pointless to like him, iInce shouldn`t have him on Raw, concentrate on the present, future,he made fun of a current star, not good to have him because of the thing with Cena bla bla bla...screw that, I`m entertaine by him more than by most of the current roster. Rock as host of Raw=win.
He has a great understanding of the fans really as someone mentioned already. IT was pre-taped but he anticipated the reactions (cheers and even booes when it came to taker.)

I would love to see the Rock host a 3hr hour i lost it when he ripped on punk caling him BM (bowel movement) Punk sayin cuz that's what the fans take when he opens his mouth. But The Great One returning for one night would be a comedy edition of Raw

The Rock in 8 minutes made everyone laugh, imagine if he could guest host raw.....the only thing I hope is that, when he hosts raw, he could ACTUALLY makes something, not like the other hosts.

"the great one's breath has never been fresher"
"By the way, who in the blue hell is dolph ziggler?"

Well, only just saw the segment... and what can you say? It's classic Rock, and it just goes to show that he really was one of the greatest ever. It's funny and sad at the same time to see The Rock, coming out of the blue and cutting a promo, without being involved in any program whatsoever, get a better reaction and cut a better promo than anything we've seen on WWE TV in a long time (save for a few notable exceptions, Y2J for example); and even if he basically pulled his standard routine, and didn't even have to put much effort in it, it still worked better than anything 90% of the current roster can put together.

Now The Rock guest hosting RAW would definitely be a sight to see... it would be entertaining I guess, plus they could really well tease a Rock/Cena confrontation, like have a nice littel staredown at some point or other. Actually, it would be rather interesting to see the fan reaction. The older audience would be on The Rock's side without the shadow of a doubt, but what about the kids who are growing up with Cena now and don't even know the Rock that well? Would they cheer for Rock, or for Cena, if both were faces? Or they would have to turn Cena heel (I'm not Rock would work as a heel anymore, I guess he's at that point of his "fame status" where he's just naturally over in any case), and would that work right now? Definitely an interesting constellation.

Also, I kind of liked it that he began the promo as "Dwayne Johnson"... I guess that is not a bad movement, because if he can establish himself as "The Actor Dwayne Johnson" on the one hand side, and having been away from wrestling for such a long time now, he might just be ready now to still slip into the "role" of The Rock on the other hand now, and return to being "The Great One" every now and then. Because out there, in the real world and on the big screen, he may be Dwayne Johnson... but inside a wrestling ring, he still is The Rock ;)

So I for my part would definitely want to see The Rock host RAW, it works perfectly for the concept, and stuff could be built up for a future Wrestlemania that would involve him in some capacity if his schedule allows it. Now I don't think he'll ever return full time in a wrestling role (and why should he? He's literally done everything there is to do, he's faced everyone, beaten everyone, and became one of the greatest stars of the business ever), and not even another type of regular on air character... but I imagine him guest hosting Raw could be a teaser for a WM appearance, especially if WWE plan to induct him into the HOF in the near future (which I think will happen rather soon, considering it was Stone Cold's turn this year)... so if he is inducted, WWE would have a reason for him to be at the WM weekend anyway, so who knows... Haha again very much speculation, most of which will most likely never come to pass... but we're allowed to dream, now aren't we?

In any case, good to see The Rock back in WWE if only for a brief glimpse at lost glory, and even if it leaves a bittersweet taste. Sic transit gloria mundi!

I personally take The Rock over Stone Cold any day of the week, but that's just me... I really didn't get to see most of the Attitude Era, but those things I got to see, I always liked The Rock a lot more thant Stone Cold, as good as he was and and with all the credit that is due.

So I'm keeping my fingers crossed for another can or two of Brahma Bull (screw Red Bull) and let's see what comes hereafter...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back