• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The ressurection of the WWE Lightweight Division

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwith

Pre-Show Stalwart
WWE has ton's of smaller guy's that would make a killer cruiserweight division right now, and definately liven thing's up a bit. I think the rating's would jump even more, because the kid's would absolutely go crazy for the high flying action. I really miss the cruiserweight division myself, and the matches were faster paced, and just incredible to watch, and get's the crowd's more interactive.

Does anyone else want to see the cruiserweight division return with all of talent they have?

No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no.

The cruiserweight has been dead the first moment it came to the WWE and it is NEVER coming back. Nobody wanted to see ten cruiserweights thrown together for a PPV match. The cruiserweight division was great in WCW but never in the WWE. Even greats like Rey Mysterio couldn't save it. It's a thing of the past and we should just leave it in the past because it's not going to work and why people keep wanting it to return is beyond me.

No. The guys who would compete for the cruiserweight title could easily compete for the IC title. There aren't enough guys on the Smackdown roster for three titles.

I think what they could do is make a separate show just for Cruiserweights. Like a Superstars program for Cruiserweights. That's where the Cruiserweight title could shine. Right now, tons of Cruiserweights are in the WWE without a top goal to reach. So, they're in the WWE...what's next? They're not gonna win the WWE Championship. What Cruiserweight other than Rey Mysterio has even held the IC title in recent memory? They're better off displaying their skills elsewhere such as Dragon Gate USA. Without Cruiserweight tournaments or titles, they have nothing to accomplish in the WWE. And, it's not even like they're teaming up the little guys to get anything done either. It's a waste of talent.

You know what? I always liked the cruiserweight/light heavyweight title. It would be cool if they did bring it back. I'm not saying it would be like a OMG moment or anything but definately something for the smaller/under utilized guys WWE has kicking around now.

Absolutely not because it would result in a bunch of small guys competing in a practically useless division for a title that no one would really care about. Why have that when these guys can compete n the mid-card for titles that mean way more than the cruiserweight title ever did and those titles have lost a ton of prestigious and yet mean more than that retired championship. These guys are getting better exposure competing against other mid-carders and are still putting on good matches, because if you're a good worker than it shouldn't matter the size of your opponent especially if they are talented in the ring.

Smaller guys can just continue to work the mid-card for both the IC and US titles as they make these divisions interesting and in the end they are competing for titles that most fans still care about. The mid-card has gotten a lot better over the last two year span and adding more of these interesting talents to it, is only going to make it better. There is no need to revive a division that died four years ago, believe me you can't go back after making Hornswoggle the final champion.

No. The guys who would compete for the cruiserweight title could easily compete for the IC title. There aren't enough guys on the Smackdown roster for three titles.

I agree! Admittedly there are many athletes in the WWE right now who could fall under the cruiserweight category: Primo, Baretta, Sin Cara etc. However Smackdown has such a small roster that it'd take a major bulk up during the draft to make a cruiserweight title. The intercontinental title, which in itself is supposed to be the secondary prestigious title on SmackDown, might as well be inactive with the lack of defences Kofi is doing. I don't think I even have to mention the tag team titles. So yes the cruiserweight championship would add a lot of excitement to WWE but this is a case of a good idea but at the wrong time!

I like the idea, imagine this sin cara debuts and when he comes to the ring he brings a black bag and everybody wonders what's it in until a few weeks or a month later he opens it and pulls out the cruiserwheight championship and announces he is bringing back the prestige and the division of this title, just my thoughts and what I would like to happen

Actually on second thoughts......they need to unify the intercontinental title and US title....because right now neither are really relevant due to a lack of competitors being properly pushed. Then they could carry this unified title and keep it on Raw. Make the cruiserweight title SmackDown's midcard title (smackdown is more wrestling based anyhow)...and in the draft carry all the cruiserweights to smakdown and move more mid-carders to RAW....that way I think more athletes from each division will get sufficient exposure. But that's the only way I could see them making the cruiserweight title with the way the current roster is.

Absolutely. But the belt needs to be a float, like the Tag and Diva's.

The have a bunch of great cruisers: Yoshi Tatsu, Ryder, justin Gabriel, and Heath Slater, just to name a few. just as long as Vince lets them do what they can do.

Just think, Teddy Long, could come out and say that he had been reviewing things, and realized that Vicki hadn't filled the cruiser title since she stripped Hornswaggle, and that in conjunction with the Raw GM, is starting a tournament to crown a new champ

I'd love to see the cruiserweight title brought back, but it would just be more of the same. The problem right now is that they can't build a midcard because the high card is in disarray. Guys who should still be midcarders are main eventers, and the midcarders can be called up at a moments notice just for the sake of "keeping things fresh."

The lack of bonified stars is hurting the midcard division, hence another title is not a smart idea right now. Those cruisers should pick be picking up the midcard slack not battling in their own division.

Completely pointless bringing back this division and the belt. WWE doesnt even know what to do with the US and IC Title. So why add another belt?

Also, they should bring back the 'Tag Division' before the Cruiserweight division.

It is not a bad idea but WWE has never made use of the cruiserweight division and it has no place now. They basically threw out any importance of a cruiserweight title out the window when they made smaller guys Heavyweight contenders like Guerrero, Benoit, Mysterio and Jeff Hardy, not saying they weren't deserving but WWE completely erased the lines of weight classes when they did this.

I think it should be brought back, but with more of a X division feel, as in "no limits". This will allow more lower and midcard wrestlers to go after it like The Usos, and other guys that wouldn't fit in the cruiserweight weight class, but still have cruiserweight like movesets. Look at what TNA did with Samoa Joe when he first started there, he was putting on amazing matches with smaller wrestlers like Styles, Daniels, and Sabu for the title, including the five star match from Unbreakable 2005.

I used to love the cruiser weight division in WCW, but no, I wouldn't want it back. It would completely degrade the cruiserweight division we used to know and love. The cruiserweight wasn't just about being small you had to be ridiculously good in the air, but not in all cases. Let’s look at some guys from the WCW cruiserweight division: Rey Mysertio, Psicosis, Juventud Guerrera, Billy Kidman, Eddie Guerrero, Ultimo Dragon and Chris Jericho to name a few. A cruiserweight division today would be pretty embarrassing compared to it, bar a couple of great talents. Also, what's the point of a cruiserweight division since high Flying is pretty toned down now a day’s bar a couple of high flying moves. So no, I wouldn't want to see another cruiserweight division, remember what happened when WWE took over the cruiserweight title from WCW, yes, Hornswoggle was champion.

-i would like to see the cruiserweight return, the united states title and IC title are great, but the wwe rarely uses them, just gives them to guys for many months then gives it to someone else, then theres a lil feud then they forget about the title.
-at least bringing in a new title all together would be awesome! plus it would kinda force wwe to make the CW title big, by constantly making matches for people to compete in. plus it would give big names (mid cards that rarely get their oportunities at the world championships) a chance to compete in bigger matches and get to the the world title level, or the wwe could put more emphasis on the IC and US belts.
-of course, once you get those often, you rarely ever get the world titles. then again, maybe wwe would make the CW championship seem like the IC and US titles and it would just be wasted.
-personally this would be a good idea to bring the title back.

I'm not sure if this has been brought up, but I was watching the WCW Bash at the Beach (1996) and the opening match is a young Rey Mysterio (Jr) vs Psychosis... it is a damn good match and was entertaining through out. But even then you could tell that it wasn't a hot commodity.

Nowadays when people think of WCW they often relate the cruiserweights. But at the ppv they had a helluva match and the announcers Hennan, Schiavone, and Rhodes openly mock it as they have an expert Mike Tenay (his announcing was amazing at the time) attempt to do play by play as the 3 man group poke fun of the mask and say that they expect cutting edge moves...

I guess this turned into a double question.

Why doesn't the WWE have a modern cruiserweight division that could benefit the likes of Evan Bourne and a bunch of up and comers...

And how is the cruiserweight division WCW's legacy when they seem to be openly mocking it from the start.

I mean Rey Rey is one of WWE's biggest stars... wouldn't it be a wise business decision to have a successful cruiserweight program?

Edit: Thank you so much for throwing this into another topic... much appreciated mods!

Hey wait... most of these topics are about wrestling... they should all be in a single thread!

The Rock? Let's merge that with Big Van Vader... its all the same.

I'd love to see it to change things up from the same old, same old we're now getting.

And if the company is as serious about Sin Cara - and by extension expanding into foreign markets, why not bring in more foes for him to compete with?

Why not start to bring in some international cruiserweights for the fans to get to know and appreciate?

One of the greatest things Eric Bischoff and WCW ever did was to showcase cruiserweights in the United States. If it had always been up to Vince McMahon, all we would ever see would be the super-heavyweights.

Big, strong wrestlers have their place, but smaller, faster, more athletic wrestlers do too.

I'm all for adding more cruiserweights and for bringing back the title if they do.

NO.

There are 2 mid-card titles that are head and shoulders above the cruiserweight title. The cruiserweight title came over becuuse they use weight classes in Mexico and the majority of the cruiserweights came from there.

The US and the IC titles are more than sufficient. Also unifying the US and IC titles just to bring the cruiserweight title back is the SAME THING as just having the US and IC titles.

The Cruiserweight title is even worse than the Lightheavyweight title.

I'm inclined to say no. Absolutely no if it was Smackdown exclusive. Even if it was able to be competed for on both shows it would still most likely turn into yet another useless title, joining the tag titles and the IC and US belts.

I'd get behind a cruiserweight division 100%...if they'd actually try to book it properly. There are several quality lightweight guys in the WWE currently, and it'd be cool if they had something to strive for...

I loved the Cruiserweight division, IMO it was the highlight of some PPVs. I would love to see it make a return. The kids would love it, I think the adults would love it. It would bring some great wrestling and it could have some great fueds. IMO bring it back and soon. Theres enough talent but Vince wouldnt bring it back :disappointed:

I would definitely love to see the Cruiserweight title make a return.

Saying that the current cruiserweights can compete for the IC title, how many of them actually have been competing for it? I will say though, that more cruiserweights need to be added first. There won't be enough to re-create a credible title. Maybe a returning London and Kendrick could help spice things up? ;)

Also, multi-brand would be the way to go if it did happen.

-

i think it would be good idea to bring the cruiserweight title over to superstars. you have a lot of low card talent that could use the title to get to the main shows like yoshi tatsu, primo, trent barreta, and more. it would definately make the show more interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back