• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The promo game.

Mr. Artistic guy

Better Off This Way
I had an idea for a thread and it sounded like a good idea in my head so I wanna see how it takes off. The idea is simple, you just recite a section of a particular famous promo or interview. The person who guesses correctly who said it and at what event gets to do their own. It has to be specific as well, by that I mean you can't just quote 'If you smell... what The Rock is cookin', because that's in most every Rock promo. I'm obvs gonna start:

"Well you know what we've been. We've been a runaway train... nobody driving us. Scary huh? Yeah. Scarier now... look who's driving the train!

Road Warrior Hawk said that at WrestleMania VIII. Paul Ellering was driving the train.

"If we waited for Patrick Ewing and the New York Knicks to bring a title here we'd probably be waiting forever."

I can only give it to both aspects. I can say that it was an episode of Raw, but I don't need the date it was aired, just the event it preceded.

I can only give it to both aspects. I can say that it was an episode of Raw, but I don't need the date it was aired, just the event it preceded.

Was it not Heyman to Vince on Smackdown before Survivor Series?! I'm certain it was, as I love that promo.

“Shortly after my arrival here in the World Wrestling Federation, I became the slayer of the dragons. You ask what do I mean by that? Vince McMahon put every freak, every giant that he knew his hand-picked Champions couldn’t beat and he sick me on ‘em, and I beat ‘em, I destroyed ‘em.”

“Shortly after my arrival here in the World Wrestling Federation, I became the slayer of the dragons. You ask what do I mean by that? Vince McMahon put every freak, every giant that he knew his hand-picked Champions couldn’t beat and he sick me on ‘em, and I beat ‘em, I destroyed ‘em.”

This was the fake Undertaker "shoot" on Vince McMahon, during his feud with Kane. I think McMahon and Austin were going at it too. They kind of crossed streams with this. I know it was early in 1998, before the Royal Rumble.

"A new era is what this once-proud and profitable company sorely needs. What was once a captivating, trend-setting program, has now deteriorated into a cliched - let's be honest - boring, snoozefest ... television ratings? Downward spiral. PPV burates? Plummeting. Main stream acceptance? Non-existent. And reactions of the live crowds - complete and utter silence. You're silent because you're embarrassing to be here ... it's because of the steady stream of un-interesting, un-talented, mediocre 'sports entertainers' that you're forced to cheer for."

It's CM Punk, I can't recall if it is after his notorious promo or the promo he cut on the Attitude Era on the old school edition of Raw? Or I could be entirely incorrect.

"A new era is what this once-proud and profitable company sorely needs. What was once a captivating, trend-setting program, has now deteriorated into a cliched - let's be honest - boring, snoozefest ... television ratings? Downward spiral. PPV burates? Plummeting. Main stream acceptance? Non-existent. And reactions of the live crowds - complete and utter silence. You're silent because you're embarrassing to be here ... it's because of the steady stream of un-interesting, un-talented, mediocre 'sports entertainers' that you're forced to cheer for."

Ah, no Dragon Saga. It is Jericho upon his WWF debut.

"You sick sons of bitches! You ripped out my heart, you took everything I believed in and you flushed it down the damn toilet. You flushed my heart, you flushed my soul, and now it sickens me to sit back and see other people making the same mistake."

It's CM Punk, I can't recall if it is after his notorious promo or the promo he cut on the Attitude Era on the old school edition of Raw? Or I could be entirely incorrect.

Nope. I threw this one in here because I knew somebody would say CM Punk. It's so damn close to a lot of the promos he was cutting after, and including, the notorious "shoot". Artist got it correct; Jericho's debut. Looks like you've still got to earn that signature, DS! ;)

Ah, no Dragon Saga. It is Jericho upon his WWF debut.

"You sick sons of bitches! You ripped out my heart, you took everything I believed in and you flushed it down the damn toilet. You flushed my heart, you flushed my soul, and now it sickens me to sit back and see other people making the same mistake."

This is a Foley promo from ECW's syndicated show. It was sometime in the second half of '95. Aug-Oct-ish. During the Dreamer/Raven feud.

IIRC he was responding to a sign that was made about his son.

How about this one...

"This is a bar of soap. Now, does it look familiar to any of you? I know that you probably don't know what this is and probably you don't have ever seen one of these before. But it is called soap. Matter of fact, if you're sitting at home now, you can maybe repeat after me and say: 'Soap'. Say 'soap'. S-O-A-P, soap. Not 'sowp'. Not 'say-owp.' It's 'soap', okay?"

I'd like to keep this game going so I'll pinch hit for shattered since he didn't provide a quote.

"Well maybe my moniker should be Midas because everything I touch turns to gold."

Had to do a bit of research to find that out, but I eventually got Diesel at the 1994 Survivor Series:

"They say you are what you eat. In WCW I wasn't fed nothing but garbage, so I let myself become garbage. I became complaisant with everything they said as long as Big Ted kept sending in the cheques."

Had to do a bit of research to find that out, but I eventually got Diesel at the 1994 Survivor Series:

"They say you are what you eat. In WCW I wasn't fed nothing but garbage, so I let myself become garbage. I became complaisant with everything they said as long as Big Ted kept sending in the cheques."

This is Steve Austin also from Hardcore TV(his debut IIRC). This was around the same time as Foley's from earlier in the thread. Fall of '95.

Here goes...

"My sport it suffers from an affliction, a sickness. And I plan to be the cure for this. You see at one time a man walked down to that ring and looked across at his opponent and he knew who he had to defeat, he knew who he had to best to be great on that day, but it's not like that anymore. You see now we don't reward the warrior, No, No, No, we reward the opportunist.

Hints on the current quote:

-It was in the last five years.
-It was at a relatively major PPV.
-It was made by the reigning world champion before he defended his title in a match that involved multiple other former world champions.

Well it certainly sounds like Edge, because of the opportunist line. But to pick an occasion... I've only been watching again since about 2009 so I missed plenty of Edge's top run. I'm going promo shopping.

This is Steve Austin also from Hardcore TV(his debut IIRC). This was around the same time as Foley's from earlier in the thread. Fall of '95.

Here goes...

"My sport it suffers from an affliction, a sickness. And I plan to be the cure for this. You see at one time a man walked down to that ring and looked across at his opponent and he knew who he had to defeat, he knew who he had to best to be great on that day, but it's not like that anymore. You see now we don't reward the warrior, No, No, No, we reward the opportunist.

Samoa Joe, Slammiversary 08?

If so here's mine;

Well you know what? I am sick of sports entertainment. I am sick of male cheerleaders. I am sick of boogers and bathroom humor and semen and I am sick of our chairman. Who likes to talk about his own semen, he mocks God... he mocks God!!!!! And makes out with the divas all to feed his own insatiable ego. I am sick of sports entertainment, and most of all I am sick of you fans who actually buy into that crap! This sports entertainment circus! I never needed this job, and I don't want this job anymore. I QUIT!"

Samoa Joe, Slammiversary 08?

If so here's mine;

Well you know what? I am sick of sports entertainment. I am sick of male cheerleaders. I am sick of boogers and bathroom humor and semen and I am sick of our chairman. Who likes to talk about his own semen, he mocks God... he mocks God!!!!! And makes out with the divas all to feed his own insatiable ego. I am sick of sports entertainment, and most of all I am sick of you fans who actually buy into that crap! This sports entertainment circus! I never needed this job, and I don't want this job anymore. I QUIT!"

First, You are right. It was Joe @ Slammivarsay '08.

Yours is Joey Styles's shoot from RAW in May of '06. One of the best "promos" of all time in my opinion. Goddamn I miss Styles on commentary.

Give me a few minutes and I'll add a new one...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back