The Promlem with the Industry

Dudebuster420

Occasional Pre-Show
Recently I was thinking about the Dragonball Z series of games that have come out for the major consoles and how BAD most of those games have actually been. There has been little to no consistency in the control schemes that have become overly complex, they have literally changed with every game. It took up to Budokai 3 before we ever saw a GT character if I remember correctly which was a bunch of bullshit too. The games have got ridiculously more difficult to play or beat for that matter. Also, the power ups, items, and menus to control all of them have also become overly complex. To top it all off the one thing that 99.9% of all DBZ fans have wanted from the series of games has yet to be delivered: The ability to create a Z-Fighter.

Next, I thought about the racing genre and how little it has really evolved. Not since Gran Tourismo 2 has there been a real big breakthrough or advance in the racing genre. Once again, we've got more complex controls which has led to a lot of these games being too difficult for the average person to enjoy, more graphics by default, and in this case Multiplayer ability with some titles. Outside of that all that has been done is minor expansion to features introduced in GT2.

Next we have the Sports Genre. What have we got out of them the in the last decade+ ? Graphics by default, more complex and difficult controls, and multiplayer. Any real advances besides the graphics ? NO. They have just become much harder to play and enjoy as the controls become more and more incomprehensible. Look at the first Madden games and look at the ones in the last decade, little to no difference with exception to the things I already laid out. NBA Live and 2K, same. MLB? Same. Soccer? Same.

I touched on the fighting genre just a tad with DBZ, but what about the fighting genre? More complex controls, better graphics, multiplayer. Not since Tekken 3 and Soul Caliber have there been any real advances here either outside of the defaults I've already mentioned.

So why is this all so? Why haven't the developers given us better? I can tell you why and all you have to do is look at the other genres I haven't named already. It seems the developers aren't really into fighting games, or racing games, or sports games. The proof is in the pudding, what games or genre of games gets the most attention and development??? RPG's, Shooters, Action/Adventure. And, if you look at those what are they all known for??? Having the best graphics, the most complex and difficult controls, and rapidly growing multiplayer ability.

As it seems, if the developers aren't "into it" than we get the shaft. You know why Gran Tourismo was such a huge leap and why they accomplished what they did? Because the people who were behind the development of the game were passionate about racing, wanted to make a racing game that wasn't the shit we had been left with for the last 20+ years, and they had advancement in mind. You know why Street Fighter II and Mortal Kombat were such breakthroughs? Because the people who made them had a goal in mind and wanted to deliver something truly revolutionary.

For the last decade or so it seems like all the developers have cared about is getting the contract and churning out a game for a profit, that is until it comes to the games the developers themselves like. Don't you find it a bit funny that the only real advancement the genres outside of the shooters, RPG's, and Action/Adventure have made have only been the ones that the developers themselves value in their favorite genres, while everything else has went to the wayside?

Even look at the Wrestling games. What have we really got from them in the last decade or so? What REAL advances have been made? Better graphics, increasingly complex controls, and multiplayer. Have we got the classic titles we've wanted? Have they done things as simple as putting the right titles in ladder matches above the ring? What about the titles themselves? They've looked like shit since forever and are often times either too small, or just look flat and featureless. When we had the belt creator did they ever really make that any good? No, we just had to settle with whatever they thought was good enough. I guarantee if any of the developers were real wrestling fans or fans of the franchise these things would be different but they aren't. As a result we see all the FPS, RPG's, A/A games getting all the passion out of these people.

I think this is not just A problem but THEE problem in the gaming industry as it pertains to the quality we receive in the titles we choose. I don't think quality should be sacrificed because a game developer isn't a fan of the games they make, or that we the people should suffer as a result. Tell me what you think, if you think this is an accurate assessment, and what you feel the solution to the problem is if there is one, add any other thoughts or feelings on this matter as well.

The Soap Box Is Now Yours.

The only problems with the gaming industry are that all of the games aren't action-adventure, and that there exist action-adventure games that don't use one of the following game engines:

*Whatever game engine Capcom used for the Resident Evil, Dino Crisis, and Onimusha series.

*Whatever game engine Konami used for the Silent Hill series.

*Whatever game engine Tecmo used for the Fatal Frame series.

Fix those two problems, and everything would be peaches and cream in my book. Honestly, I'm hesitant to get a PS3 or XBox 360 at this point because of the poor representation action-adventure games from these three aforementioned developers have gotten. It seems that these games are passe, and that horror FPSs are now back in fashion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back