• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The potential of the current WWE under-card.

TSG

Too Sweet To Be Sour
The WWE under-card has more potential right now than any other time in the history of the WWE. Yeah, I'm serious. Right now, the WWE is stacked with main event and mid-card talent, from Dolph Ziggler to Randy Orton to Cody Rhodes to John Cena, and everywhere in-between. But with all this focus on the talent that makes TV, people tend to forget the talent that is stuck on Superstars and in dark matches. Now, I'm not going to touch upon a certain Long Island superstar, as I am sure we have all heard enough about him. Instead, I am going to focus on the other low card talent that makes up one of the most talented eras in WWE history.

Tyson Kidd: Ever since splitting with David Hart Smith, Tyson Kidd has shined. He has loads of talent in the ring. He has some mic skills, not the most in the world, but it is there. Many always said that David Hart Smith would shine out of the two, but Kidd is clear and outright the best.

[YOUTUBE]kruhJVziHVY[/YOUTUBE]

Trent Baretta: This one may be my favorite out of the bunch. Baretta just oozes a certain charisma. He might not be the most entertaining on the mic, but there is something about him that just makes you want to like him.

He gets the crowd into whatever match he is in, and moves so smoothly and with precision in the ring. He is just a natural in the wrestling ring, and you can tell he knows what he is doing inside the ropes. He is one of the better in-ring guys in the WWE today, and could work with many stars. Plushe can hit some high spots, which is always fun to watch. But he isn't a one-trick pony, he has a good grasp of wrestling knowledge, and isn't just a spot monkey.

One of the best things WWE did right was only releasing his former partner Caylen Croft, and keeping T-Locks around. He has potential written all over it, he might as well have it stitched on his ring gear. I see a huge future for him, and I hope WWE keeps him around.

[YOUTUBE]aEb4nC9urn8[/YOUTUBE]

Curt Hawkins: Another kid with huge star potential. Many people say that he is reminiscent of a young Shawn Michaels, and I see a little bit of a young Edge in him as well. He has that certain persona, that aurora around him that exudes star. Like the rest of these guys he doesn't have the greatest build, but I personally find it to be overrated.

He is very good on the mic when given the chance, and pretty funny as well. He can work a crowd very well, and just gives off the presence that makes you think, wow, he is good. This is one of the few guys I could see without seeing him in action and think, he is a future champion. And that doesn't even speak about him in the ring.

He knows how to work a style that most great heels do, he has a hold on the in-ring psychology it takes to succeed. He moves smoothly in the ring, and can take control of a match like a veteran. He is a great talent and asset to the WWE, and he could easily be a future champion in WWE.

[YOUTUBE]V4AJKqLMtuY[/YOUTUBE]

Chris Masters: Masters definitely has what it takes to be a main event star, as during his first run he was. In 2005, he was consistently in the upper mid card scene, and main evented New Year's Revolution in an Elimination Chamber match.

Masters has the mic skills, and can work the mic great as a heel. He had great heat during his first WWE run, and for a rookie was very impressive. The Masterlock Challenge was always a fun segment. He tore his way through the roster with the Masterlock, and was a legitimate threat in the WWE Championship scene before getting in trouble through the Wellness Policy.

He is good in-ring and has experience working big time matches. He can work the style it takes to get over in the main event scene and reports awhile back had plans to push him. He just needs to wait for the right push and it is only a matter of time for him to be in the mid-card or main event.

[YOUTUBE]wySXB2jzTpI[/YOUTUBE]

Those are just a few of the stars waiting on the undercard of the WWE. Personally, I think that the undercard is stacked beyond belief with potentially championship level talent, and that they happen to go a bit unrecognized, so I thought I'd share my thoughts on them.

Is there any undercard talent you think goes un-noticed that you have thoughts on?

Do you agree that the current undercard has potential, and are there any you see as future champions?

Do you think that WWE should give these guys more time, and how would you use them?

I actually couldn't agree more brotha man, here's what I got.

Is there any undercard talent you think goes un-noticed that you have thoughts on?

I'm gonna get blasted for this, but I really think David Otunga is gonna be the man in a few years, he's got the look and some charisma, with a little work this guy could be a big time player. In addition to that I really hope Skip Sheffield makes a come back as well, the guy has the making of a HUGE babyface killer.

Do you agree that the current undercard has potential, and are there any you see as future champions?

Skip, Otunga, MacIntye, and Bourne, yes Bourne.

Do you think that WWE should give these guys more time, and how would you use them?

Throw them into meaningful fueds over the US/IC belts, like some of the bad ass fueds we used to have over the IC belt w/ Jericho, Benoit, Angle, etc. etc. Interactions with ME guys, mostly Cena, the king of elevating talent.

I'm gonna get blasted for this, but I really think David Otunga is gonna be the man in a few years, he's got the look and some charisma, with a little work this guy could be a big time player. In addition to that I really hope Skip Sheffield makes a come back as well, the guy has the making of a HUGE babyface killer.

Oh No no no no no! He maybe looks good but he undeniably lacks charisma and mic skills, And my opinion on Otunga in the ring is this... I have only seen him hit his finisher properly (Not botch it) One time! He always drops too early or doesnt lift well enough, And its a SpineBuster for goodness sake.

Alex Riley FTW!

Eh, some of your points are true, but I don't know... the guy just seems to have it to me. But then again, that is solely an OPINION. As for Riley, i'm pretty sure he's already cemented in the mid-card. That guy has star written all over him and they know it, hence his high profile feud right now. I just hope that whatever he does next after Miz is a step in the right direction.

1. drew mcintyre for goodness sakes! he started off as a beast of an ic champ, and then all of a sudden he's as if he never existed! 1 of my faves!

2.i do agree that a few have potential. 2 that pop into mind besides mcintyre are Justin Gabriel and Evan Bourne. Don't be surprised if Bourne wins mitb this year!

3.Have them on raw or smackdown for god's sake! I'd rather see them than the occasional "dance contests"

Glad someone else likes Baretta aswell he does have quite a lot of charisma and the crowd can get on his side pretty easily.

Dunno what exactly is meant by undercard for this but I'm taking it as below mid card status so the Usos would be my pick. They actually are talented and could carry the tag division plus with their new entrance thats generating a reaction now might be the right time. I also think Tyler Reks, if given a chance, could be a monster for atleast a year or so maybe a lot longer if WWE play it right.

Obviously if we were talking about everyone not in ME status then you definately have people like Mahal, Riley, Rhodes and the rest.

Glad somene brought this up, there are so many talented young guys on the lower card.. Chris Masters hqs improved leaps and bounds and looks like he finally deserves a big push. With the right push and story McIntyre could be huge. I would also say Evan Bourne because he has yet to win a title. He puts on outstanding matches I'm almost concerned he'll never make Botchamania loo. Hell even Primo has loads of talent that has yet to be realized besides that one mixup wth Sin Cara. One of the best undercard matches recently was on Superstars, go check it out! It was Slater and Gabriel and Tyson Kidd vs The Usos and Trent Barreta. One of the best matches this year period that match was.

I agree with you and have been saying for quite some time that I personally feel with some good booking/developing we could have a good a roster in a couple years time as we have ever had before in the history of the WWE. So much talent amongst the young stars that if tapped into properly and allowed to grow right I believe this roster could produce many legends of the business in the future.

Wade Barrett, Drew Mcintyre, Trent Beretta, Cody Rhodes etc.. all have what it takes in my opinion.

I am not sure about Chris Masters.. I think it would have happend by now but that is just my thoughts. Otunga really does nothing for me but a returning Skip will be interesting.

Does anybody know whatever happened to Brodus Clay? I think he was a great talent and played a perfect role as Del Rio's bodyguard right after NXT.

He is one of the "big men" in the business. He does have the look along with the strength. And by being Del Rio's bodyguard a few months ago, he had some great heat.

Now, his heat was probably because of Del Rio, but I think he can be a strong heel mid-carder on RAW or SD! once Barret and/or Ziggler leave the US/IC spot.

http://youtu.be/ZE0AyFH540Y

As you can see, he can be one of those dominating forces as a mid-carder. Maybe he can feud with Kofi or A-RY on RAW, or have a big man V.S. big man on SD! with Zeke.

Two other great potential talents are the Usos.

A lot of the IWC on here talk about them and I personally think they are a great tag team. They are faces right now and people like them and are interested in their matches.

The Usos V.S. the New Nexus would be a great feud and give the Usos some recognition.

The match that they had with Zeke against the Corre was great. They had the fans behind them and it was a really good match to watch.

The last I heard of Brodus was after WM and he was injured. I remember reading a story where he had to get staples put into his head, and he still wanted to go wrestle.

I would dare to say that the undercard in both WWE and IW far exceed their main event scenes. Being 29 and a fan since 1990 makes me appreciate good wrestling. The only way to get good wrestling these days is to skip Raw altogether and watch the undercard.

I was very sad when the WWE did away with ECW b/c that was their best show IMO. I loved watching the under-utilized talent put on some excellent 10-15 minute matches regularly.

I think Primo has potential too, did you see his matches with Sin Cara?
Here is an idea, get the guy on Raw as a face, not Superstars and let him feud with Ziggler for the U.S. Title, or turn Ziggler face and remain Primo a heel.

I wish Chris Masters was either on television more, or was given a push. He has immensly improved and is one of the best in the company today.

I agree with TheLoneCharles, I think WWE need's a show to be able to showcase their undercard talent. And with Superstar's not being on television anymore, maybe a new show and get rid of NXT?

1) chris masters deserves a push, he is a great inring performer, he really sells it, he does a good job, unfortunetly a couple issues with drugs has caused his career to go down to little segments on RAW/SMACKDOWN, and wrestling on superstars, but i think he should be main event.

trent barreta and curt hawkins, i dont see them being main event with major titles but the IC/US belts as well as the wwe tag team belt, they deserve that for sure.

2)like i said, midcard belts for hawkins and barreta, main event with chris masters.

3)i think these guys should have air time, put hawkins and barreta together to form up dude busters once again, let them waste michael and otunga.

as for chris, just start using him on raw, let him win some matches and get over with the crowd, or, let him go and help a smaller guy out when they are being beaten up by a heel, in order to get masters over with the crowd (cause most crowds seem to have forgotten about chris masters).

I have felt Chris Masters has deserved a main event push since 2005. When I first seen him all I could think about was a modern day Lex Luger. He has a good look, he is better in the ring than Luger was and I always thought he was a good heel. Tyler Reks is another guy who has one of the most unique looks on the roster and talent to go along with it. He has such a great look in fact, that he doesn't even need to have mic skills to pull it off. You could push him simply by having him hurt people. I also think Tyson Kidd, Evan Bourne and even Primo, yes Primo, are all tremendous in the ring, but for whatever reason WWE refuses to work with them to build their weaknesses (mic skills).

I agree 100% a lot of them have potential as far as champions, I can see a hand full holding the U.S. or IC titles. I would have put one of those on Ryder, Bourne, Masters and Reks a long time ago. I think in a few years McGillicutty could transition to that main even level and hold a World title if they book him right. I could see Drew McIntyre as a World champion, but I don't see WWE pushing him to that point sadly. I think Alex Riley could be World champion in a few years as well.

Yes there are a lot of guys on the roster that need more time, way too many for me to write of how I would use them so I will just do a few.

Chris Masters I think what Masters has been missing from day one, is a manager. He isn't the worst on the mic, but a good mouthpiece would ad a ton to his character much like J.J. Dillon did to Luger in the 80's and Harley Race did in the 90's. I would put Matt Striker as his manage, bring back the Master Lock Challenge and have Striker just talk mess to the guys who compete in it. Another thought I had would be to stick him with Vicki, who already draws a ton of heat, have him jump Ziggler, thus turning him face, and have Vicki do his talking for him. I don't think he needs to be her "boyfriend" just her associate.

Tyler Reks- I would book him simple, he looks like a serial killer with the dreads, beard and all black. I would have him hurt people and play off that. It is simple booking and has been done a million times, I think Reks has enough talent though to take it to the next level. I would start it by having him wrestle a match on Raw just a simple thrown together match against somebody who is about to take time off anyway, then have him just destroy them. The next week I would do it with a jobber, and maybe do this for a few weeks just to establish to the audience that he is bat sh*t crazy and likes to hurt people, then I would build programs for him, probably starting with Big Show or Morrison.

Michael McGillicutty- I would have him come out as soon as this Monday and give a promo talking about how he has been held back, how WWE took his name and his legacy away from him and how he hasn't been getting his shot. I would have him then drop the Michael McGillicutty name and say he will now be Joe Henning. I would even keep the little group of him Ryder and Otunga just have him as the leader and use Ryder and Otunga as his henchmen. I would probably start him off in a program with Kofi and eventually push him to the main event.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back