The original nWo storyline

Pay Per Ghost

What they f*ck happened in the thread section here
So the main goal after the formation of the nWo was to make it another company altogether. To compete with WCW.

Uhhhhh....

How would that have worked? As in, who would go on to their shows? Would it be WCW Vs nWo matches or just sparring matches amongst nWo folks?

The crowd turnout...

I believe that the original idea for the NwO was for eventually WCW to do what WWE did with the brand spilt. separate shows/rosters/championships/PPVs with 1 or 2 cross-promoted ppvs(WW3/Wargames, and Starcade;WCWs wrestlemania)

They did somewhat try to make it a separate brand. They had nWo Monday Nitro and Souled Out which was a nWo themed PPV. The attempts bombed though. Outside of Hogan, Hall, and Nash; they were not that interesting to build a separate brand from WCW.

If only there was a way for Nash to prove to Hogan that he would lay down for him...

I believe that the original idea for the NwO was for eventually WCW to do what WWE did with the brand spilt. separate shows/rosters/championships/PPVs with 1 or 2 cross-promoted ppvs(WW3/Wargames, and Starcade;WCWs wrestlemania)

Yeah this is what I thought the concept was.

And honestly it could have worked, either with Nitro being on Mondays and nWo Thursday Thunder on . . . Thursdays, OR the first two hours of WCW's Monday Night show being marketed as Nitro and the last hour as nWo Invasion or something.

I think it could have worked with Nitro featuring all the young talent and cruiserweights and nWo featuring the older main eventers. On the Nitro brand you have the young guys fight each other and on the nWo brand you have your own version of the Austin/McMahon saga with Goldberg going up against the general managers Bischoff and Hogan and the rest of the nWo.

I think it could have worked, they just should have done a few nWo television specials to set up the PPV, I'd say they should have used the last hour of Nitro as the nWo brand.

The truth is that it was never fully fleshed out because they didn't have an answer, but I think the idea was just that if they ever accomplished their takeover everything would have been branded nWo and that faction would have been kayfabe in charge of booking. So yea, WCW guys could have been a part of it, just not part of the inner circle and therefore always have the deck stacked against them. It was really just a meta-work where kayfabe backstage politics went on in front of the house.

By early/mid 97 this became clearer with things like the Nash "shoot" where he talks about how WCW, historically, was just a bunch of guys pushing their sons and nWo would do a better job, but it was still never totally clear about this.

That's what Bischoff claims. Sometimes I think he convinces himself that he had some fantastic idea years and years ago when he probably didn't. It's almost like he's telling us what he should've done. Then again, what do I know? Nothing, for certain.

It wouldn't worked would it? Who the fuck would go to a nWo PPV to fight when they know they're gonna get gangbanged if they win!

The idea is shit or whatever they're doing following the nWo was shit.

I wouldn't be surprised if WCW never really knew what the plan was. I reckon they would just have made something up as they went along. There never seemed to be much long term booking in that company.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back