The New Doctor Announced

Coco

Mid-Card Championship Winner
Peter Capaldi of The Thick Of It/In The Loop fame
I'm excited. Would be perfect if Moffat fucked off and we got a more adult, curse-happy Doctor.

The trend the Doctors were taking I was expecting someone barely into their teens. Not that I have any kind of problem with youth. I like the choice though.

I've barely watched the show in a while, but I'm pretty pleased for this guy anyway. Hilarious actor, and he's a good pick for an eccentric space/time traveller. Like Coco said though, its all in the delivery. So we'll wait and see what Tito Ortiz does before we shit on it.. No wait.

Does he get to keep the sexy assistant? Or do we get a new sexy assistant?

Twitter is a complete omnishambles right now. People who are saying Capaldi is too old clearly haven't seen the man act at his best; Malcolm Tucker has more energy in his little finger than the Eleventh Doctor has in his whole body.

The show interests me, but catching up on roughly 800 episodes does not.

You can pretty much jump in whenever, they do a decent job of filling in anything you might need to know in a subtle way.

Super excited about Capaldi, the man is a damn fine actor and should do an amazing job.

The show interests me, but catching up on roughly 800 episodes does not.

A good chunk of the original episodes are lost too. Only the last couple series are worth watching. From 2005/6/8 onwards.

Source= Tried to sit through the old bullshit. The new bullshit is easier on the eyes. And don't try the movie.

Alternatively, just start watching the new series. New lead, new stories. If you enjoy it you'll go back.

I'd say apart from the odd episode its only ever the season finales that interest me anyway, the Master, Time-Lords, Strax and Dalek Khan have all been unashamedly exciting characters that usually overshadow whatever pretense the writers have used to bring them in.

Massively excited, was hoping for an older Doctor and they delivered. Should be fun.

This is why British TV kinda owns American TV. I can't imagine us replacing Sheldon Cooper after 5 seasons with someone else and missing a beat.

That is because if you replaced Sheldon, the universe would collapse. Stephen Hawking wrote of such a spatial catastrophe, then promptly erased it from his computer chair in fear it may actually happen.

Seriously Lariat, dont even joke of such a thing.

I heard about this on NPR on my drive to work today. One of the NPR people asked - why is a woman never cast as the Doctor?

Am I the only one who feels this was a tragically idiotic question? I'm no master of Doctor Who lore, but my basic understanding is that, despite regeneration, it's still the same person, and that person is, in fact, a male.

I heard about this on NPR on my drive to work today. One of the NPR people asked - why is a woman never cast as the Doctor?

Am I the only one who feels this was a tragically idiotic question? I'm no master of Doctor Who lore, but my basic understanding is that, despite regeneration, it's still the same person, and that person is, in fact, a male.

Time lords have been known to change gender. That being said I think a significant break from tradition such as changing the gender of the character would require some huge storyline explanations and would maybe be better saved until the doctor was on his thirteenth iteration (which is allegedly, to be the last)

Then again I personally feel that the doctor should always be male. It's a part of the character in the consciousness and they would need to improve their writing of female characters in general on the show to make a female doctor believable.

A lot of the time, things like that get tossed aside in with these kind of shows under the umbrella of "well if you can buy that the doctor flies through space/time fighting robots and blah blah, then how can you not accept a female in the role??". I think its a non-issue though, have any of the actors playing the role not truly deserved their spot? Did anyone (we'll say of the last three) not do an extrodinary job? When that becomes an issue, then the casting can be questioned.

Nobody is tuning in to see a male or female Doctor either way, nor would anyone tune out for the same reason.

Didn't somebody joke during the show that there would be no problem cating a woman as the Doc, or for that matter, casting a man to play the Queen of England.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back