The Mount Rushmore Of-Music

mister_b1LL

Representing Seattle's Finest
I was inspired by some fellows on YouTube called the WWEReviewGuys to come up with the Mount Rushmore of Wrestling. Since then I've been doing Mount Rushmores of anything and everything I could think of. So here's another one.

If the music industry were to have its own Mount Rushmore, who would be the people on it? If you're putting a band, use one member of the band to represent them. This would be mine:

In George Washington's Spot: Michael Jackson-There is no one, I mean NO ONE that has outperformed an audience before or since Michael Jackson. He has an audience the world over and probably even in some other world somewhere. He owns the 2nd best selling album of all time (after The Eagles Greatest Hits 1971-1975) in Thriller, which in itself contains many of his greatest tracks, including Billie Jean, Beat It, Thriller, and more. People have different tastes in music, but he is the only one that could rank as everybody's favorite regardless fo music taste. He is the one whose albums we will give to our kids for their first albums and say that this was my favorite music act. Michael Jackson brought the world together.

In Thomas Jefferson's Spot: John Lennon (Representing The Beatles)-Arguably the Beatles were and still are the most successful band of all time. John Lennon in particular to me was a stand out character both in his music and his performance. The Beatles' coming to America signaled an entire invasion of British acts in the 1960s and 1970s, such as The Rolling Stones, The Who. Since then British acts continue to be popular with bands such as AC/DC continually bringing down American venues. But there is no question, that all of this probably would have never happened without The Beatles.

In Teddy Rosevelt's Spot: Elvis Presley-For a time he was the biggest star in North America. He has one of the most recognizable voices in music history and has many crowd favorites such as Can't Help Falling In Love, Hound Dog, and Heartbreak Hotel. What possibly hinders him from maintaining the stand-out spots is that he was only popular in the US and never really gained world status due to the fact he never performed outside of the US. But there is no denying the impact that Elvis had on our music and our culture. Just look at all the Elivs impersonators out there!

In Abraham Lincoln's Spot: Bono (Representing U2)-Love 'em or hate 'em, U2 is an important band. The sound of guitarist The Edge his inspired many acts today to try and imitate it. This can be found in many of today's popular acts including MUSE, Keane, and Newsboys. Thanks to Bono, U2 is not only a figurehead for the music world but is also a major contributor to humanitarian efforts. True his mouth gets him into a lot of controversy, but when Bono steps up to the mic, there is no doubt in my mind that his voice coupled with his lyrics makes nations sing in unison. It also kind of helps that U2 is my most favorite band of all time and I would make sure that everybody and their kids know it.

So there's my Mount Rushmore of Music. What's yours and your reasons?

Indeed, this is a good thread. My Mt. Rushmore? Well, lets see here:

In Washingtons place? Well, you've gotta give that to the man who kickstarted Rock n' Roll. Elvis freakin' Presley. Say what you will, nobody has inspired more young musicians. Without him, we wouldn't have rock music (well, not exactly, but he is the poster child). And to go from a poor farm boy in Tupelo, Mississippi, to the undisputed King? Comparable to being the First President, for the sake of this argument.

Jefferson, on my memorial, would be the king of Delta Blues. Who's that you ask? Well, my friend, it's none other than Robert Johnson. The man sold his Soul to the Devil for his talents (allegedly). Oh, and he's quite simply the greatest blues man to ever breathe a breath, and I'm including Eric Clapton in that judgement. In the spirit of this thread, Johnson is the third president of our country, in that people know who he is, but he's often times forgotten.

Now, you may be saying, "Well, who's the candidate for Teddy?" Ahhh, this is tricky. See, Teddy was a rough around the edges kind of guy. Who in music is rough around the edges? Your question should be " Who's more hardcore than GG Allin?" Yes, my friends the frontman for the Murder Junkies. Theodore, he fought in wars, defended America, and is the only third party president in American history. GG: Cut himself on stage, pooed on stage, and was one of the few people kicked out of CBGB's on a regular basis. How much more hardcore can you get?

Abraham Lincoln, huh? Perhaps, nay, indeed tied for the most important president ever. Delivered the Emancipation Proclamation, led the nation through the War Between the States, and is credited with freeing the slaves. Who's done the musical equivalancy? I suggest not a performer, but an inventor. Thomas Alva Edison. Oh, you can say " But Dewey, he didn't do anything for music!" And, you'd be wrong. Edison is the creator of recorded music. Yes, indeed, without Edison, we wouldn't have records, cassette tapes, CD's, or even MP3's. Are you gonna argue that?

Didn't quite make the list but deserve mentioning:

Marconi- Harnessed radio waves for communication.
The Crosley Brothers- One of the biggest names in radio manufacturing during the early years; founders of 700 WLW.

Reactions: X
This is a bit of a difficult thread for me to answer. My taste doesn't exactly correspond to popular ideas and I tend to really like new music rather than old originals. Sometimes indeed the original can be better, and sometimes the new evolution. For instance I am not a fan of Mr Jackson (despite all the love that is flowing around- be a bit hypocritical to change my tune now :) ), Mr Presley, or Mr Bono, though I do appreciate the value and influence they have had on the industry (barring Mr Bono- no way he deserves to be on any list- good band but not the influence you describe. Did you really compare Edge's guitar to Matt Bellamy's? Really? I mean really????)

My Mount Rushmore to slightly alternative music therefore- (erected possibly beside yours because it couldn't survive on its own)- would lead with Jimi Hendrix in the main spot, someone who gave more to modern guitar music, especially with his work in distortion. He would be followed swiftly by Mr Thom Yorke of Radiohead, a band that really has influenced so many popular bands since the release of their popular opus OK computer, an album which holds a high position in many best album lists.

The third face could possibly be a composition between the New York Dolls and the Sex pistols. Now I know everyone knows that the Pistols clearly followed in the musical wake of the Dolls (even if they branched off when it came to personal style), but it was the Sex Pistols which really spawned the popular punk movement, as well as their legendary Manchester gig which seemingly inspired Joy Division, The Smiths and a number of other important Manchurian bands.

Finally I would leave the final spot as a blank face, as we all know fans of alternative music love to throw the names of bands you have never heard of and never will, simply to confuse you. This will be dedicated to the unknowns of music, who conversely lose their original fan base the more popular they get :) This can represent all the bands I love now, and probably will have forgotten about in a years time.

This is a VERY DIFFICULT question to answer, and a brilliant thread. I ran "Mount Rushmore of Wrestling" a little over a year ago, and the universal top 4 included names like McMahon, Hogan, Hart, and Flair. This much trickier. To ask for a "Mt. Rushmore of Rock" or a Mt. Rushmore of Rap" would be so much easier, but a Mt. Rushmore of Music? Far tougher...

chuck-berry.jpg

Chuck Berry is said by many to be the man closest to having invented Rock and Roll music. Still alive and playing at age 82, most essential rock musicians from the 50's through today cite Berry as a major influence. John Lennon himself once said "if you had to rename Rock and Roll, you may as well just call it 'Chuck Berry.'

Rolling Stone named Berry #6 on their "100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time" list. He is also ranked #5 on the "100 Greatest Artists of All Time" list. The oft-covered song Johnny B. Goode was named the #1 greatest guitar rock song in history. Rolling Stone named Berry #5 on their list simply entitled "The Immortals."

Berry has an arrest record, and is often seen as one of the first men to really let mainstream music tell the stories of his life, his challenges, racism, the difficulties of the music business, etc.

Berry has been cited as a major influencer of the following musicians: John Lennon, Jerry Garcia, Joe Perry, Richard Berry. The current rock band "Buckcherry" has confirmed that their band name is a direct nod of respect to Mr. Berry as the "founder of Rock and Roll."

John_Lennon_wideweb__430x336,0.jpg

John Lennon left a mark on the music landscape as both a member of the most influential and highest rated band of all time in The Beatles AND as a solo artist. Lennon co-wrote most of the songs by The Beatles with Paul McCartney. He was ranked twice on Rolling Stone Magazines "The Immortals" list, coming in at #38 as a solo artist, and #1 with The Beatles.

Lennon was one of the original musical rebellion artists, capturing the imaginiations and attentions of Americans and Britons alike with such tunes as "Imagine," "Give Peace a Chance," and "Instant Karma." In fact, "Imagine" was given the #3 slot on Rolling Stone Magazine's "Greatest Songs of All Time," as well as Lennon being named #5 on "Greatest Singers of all Time."

Lennon's relationship with his Beatles bandmates would go on almost as oddly as many of his personal relationships, but his dedication and influence on music would never be questioned. Following his tragic assassination in New York City (yes, I have visited the spot), a public outcry the likes of which few musicians have ever seen occured. His influences have been confirmed by most of the great rock musicians and bands in history.

bob-dylan.jpg

He wouldn't have made it past a couple rounds on American Idol, but the nasally vocals of Bob Dylan were the outcome of one of the greatest singer / songwriters in the history of music. Named #2 on Rolling Stone Magazine's list of "The Immortals" (yes I will cite that magazine a lot, it carries quite a bit of weight), Dylan was one of the original rock politicians.

Dylan's opus "Like a Rolling Stone" was named the greatest song in history by RSM, while Highway 61 Revisited 4th on the list of Greatest Albums. Pro civil rights, anti-war, anti-racism, Dylan is known for other classic such as "The Hurricane" and "The Times They Are a-Changin'."

Dylan also showed influence on film. He took on both a musical and supporting acting role in Sam Packinpah's movie "Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid," where the now famous and oft-covered song "Knockin' on Heaven's Door" was featured. Dylan has frequently been listed among names such as Mozart, Picasso, and Shakespeare as one of the most influential purveyors of art in world history.

Bob_Marley.jpg

The true Godfather of Raggae music, Bob Marley has been supremely influential on some rock- and non-rock musical genres, including Ska, Punk, Hip Hop, Rap, R&B, etc. Marley is known as one of music's great poets, and stands besides men like Dylan and Lennon in terms of political relevance and activism.

Bob Marley said:
I don't have prejudice against meself. My father was a white and my mother was black. Them call me half-caste or whatever. Me don't dip on nobody's side. Me don't dip on the black man's side nor the white man's side. Me dip on God's side, the one who create me and cause me to come from black and white.

Marley was ranked 11th on Rolling Stone Magazine's list of "The Immortals." While his indirect impact on the politics of America and Europe can be felt, few men have ever had the influence on their country as Marley had on Jamacia. He doesn't sing of the need for the black race to be equal to the white race, or for one group to rise up against another - Marley preached the importance of individuality and the "self-revolution." "Get Up, Stand Up" is still one of the biggest and most revolutionary anthems in music history.

Honorable mention: Brian Wilson, Bono, Freddie Mercury, Elvis Presley, Mick Jagger, Jimi Hendrix, Aretah Franklin, B.B. King, Marvin Gaye.

Reactions: X
In George Washington's spot, I would have Elvis Presley. He kick started everything we hear today. His performance on the Ed Sullivan show was his "crossing the Delaware." He is truly the godfather or music.

Next, I would have Freddie Mercury. Much like Jefferson, he gave the inspiration for how to be on a stage. Whereas Jefferson gave the inspiration for how to be American, Mercury did the same for how to lead a band..

In TR's spot, I would place Michael Jackson. They both innovated their craft. TR's populist ideals appealed to masses the same way Jackson's singing and dancing did. The way TR brought the country together 30 years after reconstruction, Michael Jackson's post racial music brought a country together after the civil rights movement.

In Lincoln's spot, I would place the MTV logo. Nothing brought about change in the industry like MTV, much like no one changed the country like Lincoln. MTV "emancipated" pop music. It provided an arena for musicians to appeal visually and thematically in a way that could not be done with the network.

Dewey and FTS both went VERY outside the box here, with selections like Thomas Edison and the MTV logo on the facade of the musical Mount Rushmore. I love the creative thought process, but I cannot agree. Like I said in the Bar Room, if Edison or MTV makes the list, so does Les Paul, despite none of the three being terrifically notable musicians.

A few others I have issues with:

Elvis Presley. I am just not in love with this pick. And anyone can prove me wrong if they try. But maybe it's just how much of a rip off Elvis was, and how little credit he gave to his inspirations. Maybe it's a racism thing. I don't know. Same reason I left anyone from The Rolling Stones off.

sinatra.jpg
Frank Sinatra: The complete super stardom of this man has made him an icon not only in music, but in the entertainment industry as a whole. To this day his legacy still stands unphased, his mark on music undeniable. The man who fought manic depression throughout his entire life carried himself with such confidence that in person to person interactions, fans, reporters, anyone, were left stunned. The reason "My Way" is one of his most popular songs is because, well, he did do it his way. He was best buds with John F. Kennedy for gods sake. How many musicians can say they know the president on a first name basis? Frank Sinatra is how many. Not to mention his alleged role in organized crime. I am, by no means supporting organized crime past and present, but the FBI has THOUSANDS of pages investigating Ol' Blue Eyes. Just add that to Frank's resume of bad-assery.

His music, for one, was enough to achieve the attention of the nation. After rising through the music industry, Sinatra was able to produce some megahits. Musically, he was not as revolutionary as other talents mentioned in this thread, but Sinatra's fantastic records was fueled by a fresh take on the genre and Sinatra's earth-shaking persona. Back in his day, music was directed towards a largely adult audience. Sinatra's appeal to the millions of teenage girls was a first in the music industry. Such a dramatic shift in audience may be Sinatra's biggest change in the music industry. Look at it today, now it seems that the teenage girl audience is the most powerful.

It takes a great star to create a phenomenal music career, but to enter the movie scene during it takes an even greater one. To enter into the movie scene into not shitty movies takes an even greater one. To win an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor and get nominated for Best Actor takes an absolute phenomenon of a Hollywood star. In the end, Frank really deserves a spot as one of music's most prominent stars.

3792tupac-shakur-posters.jpg
Tupac Shakur: In the midst of hip-hops greatest years Tupac emerged as the most influential rapper of all time. Tupac's mission of spreading racial equality and evoking understanding of the ghetto life through his music is best to describe his work. Dubbed by many as the most influential rapper and most prominent MC of all time, Tupac created his legacy through his personality and mission.

Tupac can be largely credited to the West coast vs East Coast battle that escalated during his career. His rivalry with other prominent rappers, such as Biggie Smalls and Sean Combs, produced much attention from the masses. Not only did this build his legacy, but his many dealings with the law helped legitimize his persona.

His death, however, may be the most prominent piece of his legacy. After a drive-by shooting in 1996 in Las Vegas, Tupac was fatally wounded and died days later in the hospital. To this day, many believe that this was a staged event and Tupac still lives in secret. This arose from one of Tupac's books that he read while in jail. Tupac read constantly while in jail, and he read many historical works. One of these was Machiavelli's works. Machiavelli was a Renaissance politician and thinker, who wrote about how a leader should effectively run his domain. One point that Machiavelli produced was the advantages that could emerge if a leader staged his own death. The advantages of such would be that your enemies' guard would be brought down, and any danger of assassination would be dropped significantly. Tupac read this in jail, and was so influenced by it that he adopted the name "Makaveli." For this reason, many believe his death to be staged. Such mystery, although I believe to be false, keeps Tupac's legacy just that more real over a decade later.

jimi-hendrix.jpg
Jimi Hendrix: It is very hard to deny this man a place in any list of music stars. His stardom and influence on the world ranks amongst other greats of music history. He became an icon of a cultural movement that swept over the youth of America with astonishing force. His drug use, rather than damage his career, in which we see with musicians today, influenced his and carried his to further success. The youth of America was almost asking for an icon to lead and popularize the subculture of drug use and personal expression, and their answer was Jimi Hendrix.

Not only did his position in the musical world help create his legacy, but his legendary guitarist abilities solidified his place on top of the music industry. To most he is considered to be the greatest guitarist in history, and the fervor of appraisal for his skills is still strong today. His songs utilized guitar effects such as amp feedback, which was completely revolutionary to purposefully use to the music world. His unprecedented techniques soon caught fire across the nation, and the people were begging for more of this talented figure who lived the way they wanted to. Resulting movements can largely be credited to Jimi, who sits high on his throne in rock history.

michael-jackson.jpg
Michael Jackson: It may seem unfelt in light of his recent death, but I would list Michael no matter whether he was living or deceased. Michael's level of stardom as a musician has only been achieved by a select few, so few you can count them on one hand. He is the undisputed King of Pop, and the entire industry today can be traced back to Michael's influence. Michael was the biggest superstar of his day; he was BEYOND "the shit." In his lifetime, he sold over 750 million records. That is a ridiculously exorbitant amount of record sales.

Michael's revolutionized much more than strictly the music of his industry. His ground-breaking music videos had the world in awe during their debuts. Thriller was a blockbuster success, and was unprecedented in terms of depth in a music video. Michael did not stop there, however. Even to "Black and White," his music videos were wildly anticipated and watched over and over again. A staple in the legacy of Michael Jackson that deserves to be mentioned is his iconic dance moves. From the moon walk to the impossible lean in "Smooth Criminal" and everything in between, the crowd went crazy to see his dance on the stage. The dance sequence in "Thriller" is still legendary to this day.

An entertainer his whole life, it is a shame that Michael went down the road he did, but I suppose that is the price of stardom since age 11. Regardless, Michael is the entertainer that completes my Mt. Rushmore of Music. Fantastic thread, by the way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back