The Future of Coldplay

Mr. TM

Throwing a tantrum
Never been a fan. One of the most successful groups of this millenium and I must say, I have only ever liked one song that they have sang (Lost!). But one thing I know, Chris Martin is a bankable name.

Recently, Martin had stated he would be willing to head out on his own to start making some money without the Coldplay label, instead using his own name as backing.

Maybe after a heart to heart with the band, he has put that on the backtrack when he says he regrets wanting to move away from the band. But I am thinking he could go out on his own and be successful, and I think he secretly knows that. No one in the band has gained reputation for their music like he has.

He compared his departure to Bono leaving U2, but come on, there is no Edge in Coldplay. They play some great music together, but being solo would enable him to be way more flexable, and with a talented voice (so I hear) he would be much more able to release the music he wants.

So what do you think, should Chris Martin depart the band and go solo? Is it a good or a bad idea and why?

Damn you TM, you had me frightened when you originally labeled this thread "The end of Coldplay", I thought for a second Coldplay had legitimately broken up and that would have sadly disappointed me. Perhaps you aren't a fan and I know many think they're too indie-cool to admit they like Coldplay, but I have no problem admitting that I really like their music, and I especially liked that they were starting to evolve musically on Viva la Vida, as all great groups must evolve eventually onto something else.

I'd be totally against the idea TM. Why go solo? It's not like he and the members of the band don't all know that Chris Martin is the leader of the group and the songwriter. If he were to "go solo" he'd just have a new crop of studio musicians to play with him in the recording studio instead of the ones that we know he can make great music with and has a long personal history with.

Damn you TM, getting me all nervous thinking they'd broken up. Don't you know Coldplay is one of my big guilty pleasures you rascal you?

Changed the thread title for you.

I've never really been a big fan neither, I can listen to some of the songs sure, but I'm not one to rush out and purchase their albums, and I can't say I know anything about them other than a few hit songs here and there.
But what I do know they're rather big, and that the lead singer (which I'm guessing is Chris Martin.. right?.. hold on.. *google*.. yep!) has an incredible voice and he can go far on that just going solo, he may or may not be able to reach the level that Coldplay reached, but I have my doubts that he will fail to gather somewhat of a solo career success.

And then again, he could go on to become much more than Coldplay ever was, he wouldn't be the first one to depart from his band, only to become a mega star separately, while the band falls to pieces a few years later *cough* Robbie Williams? *cough*

Although I don't quite see the need to depart and take the risk, not yet at least, seeing as Coldplay can easily sell records still, and he has an quite so obvious success with the backing of Coldplay, both by name and the product they put out there.

So it could really end up being a massive hit that really puts him out there for good, or it could take a turn, having Coldplay pick up another singer who shoots Coldplay to the moon and back, while Chris Martin stands with a career that only gathers him a few hundred thousands of record sales per album as opposed to the millions of albums Coldplay is currently selling with each release.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back