• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The most succesful superstar that was overrated

Status
Not open for further replies.

SavageTaker

Everybody Has A Price!
It's very simple, Who was the most succesful wrestler that was overrated?

I am Going to go with the ultimate warrior and hulk hogan.

The ultimate warrior:

He really couldnt wrestle,he had a couple of moves but he wasnt even a good wrestler.Sometimes those moves he had,he didnt do them well.Also he never really cared about pro-wrestling and the art-form that is wrestling.he never tried to get better in the ring.he was just one of those guys that was into wrestling because of the fame and money.yet you factor all of this things in and he was still immensely popular and over with the fans

Hulk Hogan:

Another guy who didnt have many moves.The thing that sets hogan apart from warrior is that hogan actually liked pro-wrestling once he got into it.hogan understood pro wrestling and respected it.yeah i think he was in it for the fame and money too but he was also in it to be an entertainer to the fans because he actually cared about them.no matter how big his ego is today,he is undoubtfully one of the most overrated wrestlers to have ever stepped foot in the squared ring but still be one of the most succesful.

What are your thoughts? and i dont only want to hear hogan and warrior, come up with some creative ones.

Kevin Nash - Typical Nash match: elbows/knees in the corner, Sidewalk Slam, Jackknife. I still don't know how he was popular enough to have a year long reign as Diesel in WWF. Even though he was part of "The Kliq", so was Scott Hall, yet he never received a major push like Nash got as Diesel, despite being far more talented. Then with his jump to WCW he was constantly on top and politicked to stay there. I still can't believe he was the man to end Goldberg's streak. Nash's only saving grace was that he had decent mic skills.

I like the Ultimate Warrior, definitely overrated. Another Ultimate Warrior in the business today is Batista. He is huge and strong but really only has a few moves he can do. He just has a lot of intensity but no real talent.

Hulk Hogan the guy knew 4 things scoop slam back rake, big boot leg drop besides that all he did was flex at the fans and "hulk up" absolutely ridiculous!

Batista is also one as well as Cena and Austin. all three of these gut are terrible at actual wrestling1 the thing that separate Austin from the other two is that Austin was the man at promos and skits and was incredible on the mic but he stinks as an in ring performer! the Stone cold stunner is the sloppiest finisher of all time!!!

It's been a while since I've seen an anti-Hogan thread. I'm glad though. I never liked the guy, and in my opinion, he ruined wrestling, and made the money worth more than the product.

I don't agree that Hogan or Warrior were ever over-rated, but that's an argument for a different day.

As far as successful, but over-rated, I'll throw Santino's name out there. The sad fact though, is that he actually has a load of talent, and can play his character well. But, the way they've booked him, he's a joke, and should never have had a reign as IC champ. He hasn't shown anything above average in the ring, and while funny on the mic, his promos aren't exactly examples of great oration. With how he's been booked, and with the lack of anything going on for him right now, I'm surprised he hasn't been given well wishes on his future endeavors.

However, if they ever let him have a real match, and show off the skills that he has, and that we all know he has, he'll quickly go from over-rated to under-rated in my book.

What about Goldberg?! Goldberg?! He had just a spear and the Jackhammer. He got to superstar status and beat just about every midcard guy WCW had starting with Hugh Morris until he won the US Title and then moved onto a fued with the nWo... Finally Eric Bischoff, Terry "Hulk Hogan" Bollea and Kevin Nash decided Goldberg should drop the belt...

Goldberg is by far the most overrated wrestler of all time!! i dare someone to write a fair arguement against it...

The most successful was Goldberg! Hogan and Warrior were overrated, yes, but once Bill Goldberg started to lose a match WCW went down the drain, and once Vince bought WCW Goldberg got exposed. Making him not only exposed but who remembers Goldberg for anything other than the spear the jackhammer and.... oh yeah... ending one of the best wrestlers careers Bret Hart?!?!?! Goldberg tried to sell a match with Bret and Bret lost his career because of it.

I like this discussion so ill defend a few guys

as a kid i loved Warrior and Hogan there were never pushed as great wrestlers they were just big guys who were powerful enough to hit u with a few moves and beat you i cant say there overated cause ive never heard anybody say they were good wrestlers, you cant argue about there entertainment value casue people loved them I mean Macho Man was my fav and Warrior kicked out of what 6 elbow drops lol they made him invincable for a time period and you can blame that on us the fans and Hulkster.

i mean Andre the Giant (RIP) Sucked yet he was in the biggest match ever most of us saw him out of his prime and he was still a huge draw dude could barely walk

to me going back even though i did like the guy imma have to say Lex Luger. I like the big strong wrestlers i dont agree with the people who dont like Batista and Cena cause honestly they do there job have good power wrestlers moves do them fluently and sell there gimmicks. But Luger was so stiff in the ring, didnt really sell anything was as strong as an ox but every match not just some everyone had the same format and when Harley Race started to manage him at the GAB 91 ( i was there ) and taught him the piledriver it was worse. Then vince bought him gave him the bionic forearm then flipped him to the american hero on the USS intrepid all in a single day shit was horrible. Im so glad they had bret hart to win the Title instead of Luger cause at that Mania Yoko carried Luger and bret would of had to do the same thing.

TO THE GUY WHO SAID AUSTIN- please put the crack pipe down. Have you ever seen a preneck injury Austin match???? if not watch one and talk to me.

I hate to pick on him but he seems like such nice guy but he had no idea what he was doing in the ring other than spear and jackhammer. I will say though the match between him had perry saturn was good but that just so you how good saturn was.

You could certainly make cases for Hulk Hogan and The Ultimate Warrior. The Warrior is a better choice, in my opinion. Going back to the much older days, Bruno Sammartino was overrated. Essentially he was Hogan in his time, a brawler who had charisma and the adoration of the fans.

Back to more current times, you could pick Dusty Rhodes. I always liked Rhodes, but did anyone ever wonder why he was always the top face in NWA/JCP? Yes, he again had charisma, but he was also booking himself in that spot. Hmm.

Batista is an excellent choice. Now, I don't consider myself a mark, but I've never really had issues with John Cena, and I'm always amazed on how Batista seems to be universally loved while Cena gets a varied reaction depending what town WWE is in on a given night.

As far as Steve Austin is concerned, I grew very tired of him once he came back from his neck surgery in 2000. He was a great wrestler before the neck injury, undoubtedly, and always had the mic skills, but he was almost a parody of himself when he came back in 2000. The heel turn in 2001 that we had to sit through for 7 months and was then abruptly ended in one night is still one of the things that annoys me the most about Austin. And then of course there is the "What?" gimmick. Cute when he started it, but after a month I wanted to kill myself whenever he said it. The fact that people still do it today just shows how people can be so easily led.

To wrap up this list, and to try not to mention other people already mentioned here, you could also, at various times in their careers, make cases for Ric Flair, The Undertaker, Triple H, Bob Backlund, Scott Steiner and Kurt Angle.

I'm going to go with someone that hasn't been said yet that I've seen and say Scott Hall. For years and years I've heard about how amazing he was. No, not really. He was a decent midcard guy, that's it. People talk about how he was the greatest wrestler to never be world champion. When did I miss that? He got over because of who he was associated with. People talk about his greatness like it's a known fact. If it's known, why have I never seen it? Terribly overrated.

Rey Mysterio.

Why in the fuck he is fucking popular I do not know. But for some reason, people treat him like he is the fucking mecca. Call me crazy. I just don't get the point for a short midget to be in the ring with someone like Triple H, Kane, Edge or anyone else. It's just not real. If he was wrestling people his size then fine. He would be amazing. But he's not. Also that damn 619 is the lames move in the history of the business.

If the roster was full of people Mysterio's size than yeah he could be top dog. But there is not a company like that. So Mysterio being in the ring with giants makes absolutely no sense.

i disagree with hulk hogan being overrated, yes his moves set was poor but he changed the faceof wrestling and hulkamania is still here today and that tells you how popular he was, his popularity earned him his push

No way Hogan is overrated. Without him, where do you think wrestling would be? Wrestlemania was built around him and only him. He carried both companies at one point or another and ushered in the cool heel persona. Easily the biggest star of all time, and while he wasn't amazing in the ring, he was far from bad.

deffinatley hogan because we was a cheater the whole time but had everybody so snowed that he got away with it and in being so over hurt the business and developed alot of enemies by refusing to lose....now i gotta say TRIPLE H...now, but in the 99-2002 era before he got hurt he was the best heel cause if said he was gonna kick your ass, he did. now he borders on the ridiculous, he just won the strap again. i don't care to see him as champion anymore. when that happens im like fuck, here's another lame 2 months of wrestling. his time is up sorry. KEVIN NASH was lame never shoul've gotten monster pushes like he did. JOHN CENA completely over rated without a doubt he's not that good a wrestler and has decent mic skills..but as long as he is a good guy and there are children in the world he'll have a slot at the top

Seriously? Tell me you did not just say that. Kurt Angle is quite possibly the best pure wrestler to ever lace up his boots.
No he's not. Angle is terrible. What makes him a good professional wrestler? Terrible psychology? Awful heel work? Insistence upon applying an Ankle Lock 27 times every match?

Unless Angle has someone who can carry him and make him look good, he's terrible.

I would have to go with Sabu. This guy was pushed as the face of the oldschool ECW and was apparently one of the most extreme wrestlers ever. However, can you name one match where Sabu didn't botch a move. His skills were terrible and he could only work well in hardcore matches. Even then he would seiously fuck things up.

I would have to go with Sabu. This guy was pushed as the face of the oldschool ECW and was apparently one of the most extreme wrestlers ever. However, can you name one match where Sabu didn't botch a move. His skills were terrible and he could only work well in hardcore matches. Even then he would seiously fuck things up.

Absolutely agree. Sabu was terrible. His character was mildly interesting as a savage, but he brought nothing to the "table" besides non-sensical high spots and self-mutilation. I'll give him some credit for being innovative with some of his maneuvers, and for the risks he took to entertain (because lord knows ECW couldn't pay him shit without a check bouncing), but beyond that, the fact that this guy is an ECW legend is unfortunate. He's as over rated as they come - ranks up there with Mr. Kennedy.

Anyone who says Hogan was overrated, do yourself a favour and grow a brain.

This is easily Ric Flair, the most overrated person in the history of anything. The guy was an average worker at best. He worked the same damn match every single night, no matter who his opponent was. His ring psychology and selling of offense is some of the worst I have ever seen from a main event level wrestler. The ridiculous comedy routine he did in every match was just that, ridiculous.

He is known as one of the all-time great heels, which is laughable. He is nowhere near as great as Hollywood Hogan, DiBiase, Hart (1997), McMahon and others at being a great heel. Heels are supposed to get boos from the crowd. But when Flair was a heel he'd always "woo" to the fans, generating pops, which is poor heel psychology.

Flair was "the man" in the NWA/WCW in the 80's and early 90's until Hogan arrived. If Flair was in the same company as Hogan and Savage for all of those years, there is no way he would have won all those world championships. Flair benefitted enormously from not having the two best talents in the wrestling world (Hogan and Savage) in the same company as him for the majority of the time when Flair was in his prime. When Hogan and Savage arrived in WCW what happened? Flair became a midcarder.

Flair is only as revered as he is today because of revisionist history and kissing HHH/HBK's asses for almost a decade. People talk about his supposed great legacy. No one gave a shit about his legacy at the beginning of the decade. When he came back to the WWE in 2001 he wasn't even seen as a big star. He was put into midcard feuds with McMahon and Undertaker. At the same time Hogan also made a comeback, and what did he do? Only steal the show with The Rock at WM18. It's taken this many years of the WWE brainwashing the fans into thinking that Flair was this great legendary wrestler, when really he wasn't.

I could probably write a book on how overrated Flair is, but I can't be bothered and I don't have enough time so I'll stop here.

I know alot of successful guys who are overrated as hell but I will name off a few of them.

Batista His ring work is average at best but in my opinion he shouldn't have as many title reigns than he already has. To probably most people he was destined at best to be a mid-card guy. His promos are awful. The only thing that is beat about him is his entrance & it's not even that great in my opinion.

Santino It's not really his talent that I am gonna bash cause he has real talent if any of y'all have seen his matches from OVW. It's the way WWE has made him into a joke. He hasn't shown anything special in the ring & shouldn't even have had a reign as Intercontinental Champion. His comic gimmick is just annoying to me in my opinion as he ain't even remotely funny.

Goldberg God I hate that fucker for obvious reasons. He has no clue on what the hell to do other than a spear & a jackhammer. He can't even sell a match properly(look at his match with Bret Hart for an example). What pisses me off the most about him is that he ended Bret Hart's career.

Even though Im a big fan of his I will agree with whoever brought up Angle. Kurt is overrated as far as what he looks like in the ring. Dont get me wrong he has had some great matches but not as many as people seem to think and almost all of them were aided by having a great worker with him. His psychology is almost non existant, one minute he'll be working on the back the next he tries to lock on the ankle lock.

You maybe asking yourself "then why are you a fan of his?" and that is simply that I find him extremely entertaining outside of the ring. Well atleast I did in WWE, I dont watch TNA so I dont know what he is like in there. It wasnt his ring work that sucked me in but his work on the stick. Angle's promo's were some of the most entertaining ever for me. Which is why I became a fan of his and since Im a fan I can put up with his matches becaue I like him but if I wasnt and I looked at his matches unbiasedly I would say that there not as good as people make them out to be. So if were talking strictly how they wrestle in the ring I would definitely say Angle is among the more overrated.

I think Hogan is overrated when it comes to the in-ring skills.

I actually like hogan.there's just something about that makes you feel like you are part of his matches.he knew how to play and feed of the croud.he had a special charisma that made you just want to see more of him,even if he wasnt the best in the ring.

The problem i had with warrior was that idk why but he never no-sold his opponents moves.he wasnt made out to be this unstoppable force that you just couldnt be taken out like hogan was.

No he's not. Angle is terrible. What makes him a good professional wrestler? Terrible psychology? Awful heel work? Insistence upon applying an Ankle Lock 27 times every match?

Unless Angle has someone who can carry him and make him look good, he's terrible.

:schild13:
Yes he is. Plain and simple. There is no argument to be had. The guy won an Olympic Gold Medal at the 1996 Atlanta Olympic Games with a broken fricking neck. Obviously he is an amazing pure wrestler. And who else has won every major singles championship in his first year in the company besides Kurt Angle? No one, thats who. I mean come on, he was a Eurocontinental Champion, WWF Champion, the 2000 King of the Ring. He has had some of the best matches in the history of pro wrestling with guys like Shawn Michaels, Edge, Undertaker, Rey Mysterio, Chris Benoit, Chris Jericho, Booker T, hell he even made Mark Henry look credible at the 2006 Royal Rumble. So, if anything, I think that it's actually Kurt Angle carrying the other wrestler more often than not. But guys like the ones I mentioned above can have great matches with anyone, and they have epic matches with guys like Kurt Angle. Oh it's true, it's DAMN TRUE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back