The Money in the Bank Syndrome

The Shockmaster

Pre-Show Stalwart
It Seems that so far WWE creative team has no imagination when it comes to the result of the Money in the Bank match. Why is it that every winner of this match has the ability to beat either the WWE Champion or World Heavyweight Championship every single time. To me this match is just foreshadowing the next champion and quite frankly im tired of it.

What if the unlikely event that a winner of the contract lost when he cashed it in. Maybe he was cheated out of a victory by some interference leading to a feud because the person cashing it in knows he could beat the champion, given another chance.

So quite frankly my questions are:

Are you tired of knowing that the person who wins the MITB match is automatically going to be the next champion?

Would you like to see a winner of the MITB match lose occasionally when cashing in his contract?

Do you really want to see a whole pay per view evolved around this concept?

I would like to see the MITB winner lose his championship match. The reason this hasn't happened is because it would make the MITB match less significant. Now that it's been six years I think someone can lose his cash in match while still making the MITB match important. I would also like to see someone cash in their contract honorably. So far Rob Van Dam is the only one to do this. He came out and challenged Cena several weeks ahead of time. Everyone else has gotten a bogus cowardly win. It was cool when Edge did it the first time. It was even fine the second time because that fit Edge's character. Now I find it to be kind of lame. I admit it was a good way to turn Punk heel and make a main eventer out of Swagger, but I think the cowardly cash in taints the title reign.

Are you tired of knowing that the person who wins the MITB match is automatically going to be the next champion?

Mr. Kennedy did not go on to become the next champion. But yes I am tired of a "sure winning concept".

Would you like to see a winner of the MITB match lose occasionally when cashing in his contract?

Of course; in fact I am calling it now- the next MITB winner will lose after cashing the case in.

Absolutely not I find it extremely ridiculous to have all of these stipulation PPV's coming out of WWE. I miss names like Vengeance. Wrestlemania was the perfect place to put the Money In The Bank match.

But in his defense he didn't get the chance to

I agree, but that still causes a rift among the Case Cashers. He is the only one to not have gone on to win the big one.

Money In The Bank was a genius concept I thought but now with its own pay per view I feel the idea is wearing itself out. It's getting a little overpushed so I really hope one of/both of these two things happen:

1. MITB Winner loses finally to make it look prestigious.
2. MITB Winner doesn't "cash in" because champ is down (like RVD did for One Night Stand)

Well I know this is a pipe dream but wouldn't it be cool to cash it in During Wrestlemania. I mean the contract is for anytime anywhere.

I don't have the numbers of months the contract was held before cashing it in.... But I think Edge holds has kept it the longest before cashing it in at the Elimination Chamber Match against John Cena.

I mean hell... I would even consider giving it to a superstar who is going out to film a movie. Just think about what a pop that would be to have them come back and have a title around their waste, but it could be a great way to push someone over as a heel.

I think though the idea of having a money in the bank Pay-Per-View is a little far fetched. I mean really. How many of those matches will it be? I mean you Should only have one contract at the time. I think it would have been better to have a "ladders" Pay-Per-View and in that include a Money in the Bank. That would it makes sense to have all the championships defended in a ladder match, save of course a diva's ladder match.

Overall, I think the concept of the Money in the Bank still rings true, but this pay-per-view is kind of bogus.

While part of me agree's that it's too predictable now-a-days, I wouldn't want to see the MITB case completely wasted. I would say they actual surprise involved with the case now isn't IF they will become champ, but WHEN. When CM Punk cashed in his first MITB, don't act like you all didn't mark the fuck out. It was still a surprise despite the fact that we assume the MITB winner will 100% get a title. I was one of maybe 2 people who didn't read the smackdown spoilers the week Swagger cashed in and I marked out for that one too. The act of cashing it in "cowardly" is still flippin' awesome everytime.

I am yet to understand why they havn't done a loss of a MITB match in order to build a or possibly extend a feud. Theoretical scenario here; Given superstar is champ, they barely won a match or lost by DQ or something, other guy leaves, MITB winner runs in. Now, the match starts, the champ punches the ref. DQ, no title changes hands, MITB winner is insane, and a feud is born. They could even do this with a face as the start of a heel turn.

IMHO, MITB needs to be be more creative then a cheap win, because when it isn't cashed, I begin to wonder after every match with a champ if i'm suddenly going to hear Mr. MITB's music, and that level of predictability is shameful, at best.

Well no I really don't want to see some one lose while cashing in their contract. I wouldn't want it wasted on some one who has never won a world title won. Like if Christian won it and lost his title match I would be mad as hell. But no matter how predictable it is like the con volt said I still mark out every time from when Edge did it the second time (wasn't watchin WWE reguraly until 2007) to where Jack Swagger did it this year.

what i never got was why no winner ever held out to headline wrestlemania.. that seemed to be where they were headed with MITB first but then it became this constant cheap cashing in for a guy to win the title, good guy or bad, its ridiculous. I think an ideal MITB situation would be for someone to win at Mania and cash it in the following mania but also have him do it with plenty of time to build a quality feud going into WM. And to swerve everyone have him lose haha. This whole MITB ppv seems too much to me, i have a feeling it'll be qualifiers and then the main event is MITB? well that sucks, lets just have 6 tired as shit guys try and perform insane spots off the ladder right? Also, MITB w/o Shelton? even though he's never won, him and MITB are synonymous to me these days

While I do believe that letting the Money in the Bank winner loose his contract by an accidental cash-in or some kind of cash-in that allows him to attempt to capitalize on a situation yet failing miserably, I do not believe it follows the purpose of the Money in the Bank.

The purpose of Money in the Bank is to create a new star, it was done with Edge, it was done with CM Punk, and let's not forget that the contract holder usually capitalizes on a situation where the champion is severely hurt, or in a position for an easy victory, which points out the purpose of the "any time, anywhere" match.

To answer your questions:

No I'm not turned off by knowing the winner will most likely be a world champion, Mr. Kennedy didn't become world champion, but nonetheless I'm not turned off by it, I find it to be a great way of pushing new talents.

I'm not against the contract holder to constantly win the world championship, but I'm also not against him loosing his chance, it's both a great way to further a storyline between the champion and the contract holder.

And ultimately, I don't care about the Pay Per View revolving around the concept of the Money in the Bank ladder match, I prefer watching it once a year, at Wrestlemania.

I think that the first person ever to lose a cashing in match would probably end up in a feud with the champion anyways. So that will help the MitB winner no matter what, because that's what the ladder match is all about, making new stars. But the fact that more times than not the winner becomes champion doesn't bother me. Waiting for the match is a fun anticipation.
I don't really care for a whole PPV about this match. But I really don't get the idea of having all the NXT winners in a MitB at the next PPV. Doesn't the winner of their season get a title shot anyways?

One thing I would like to see with the MITB winner is have him hold it until the Royal Rumble winner decides who he will face, and then have the MITB winner challenge the same person at WrestleMania. For the first time, it would be Champion vs. Royal Rumble Winner vs. MITB Winner.

While I agree that there needs to be a little variation in the outcome if they plan to have an entire PPV around the MITB concept, I'm surprised that no one has pointed out the obvious outcome of this situation.

With multiple cases out there at once, the opportunity to create a MONSTER heel or a HUGE face arises. Imagine how big the pop would be if Cena escapes with his belt at the end of the PPV only to have a heel like Punk or Jericho come out, cash in, and take a cheap win over him. New champ falls to the ground celebrating and Evan Bourne comes out of the crowd, climbs up top and hits the SSP, then cashes in and takes the belt right away. Or vice versa, even. A face like Bourne or Kingston cashes in and wins only to have an up-and-coming heel like Sheamus or Mr. Ziggles cheap shot them and cash in to steal the strap.

The potential for Hardcore-Title-like craziness is limitless.

EDIT: One neat idea would be to have the same guy win two cases and unify the titles, maybe even the same night.

I would like to see a MiTB winner lose his title match, and I dthink it could well happen this year after the PPV.

I would guess that at the PPV there will be a MiTB match for each SD and Raw.

Imagine if (for example) Christian won the SD match, and Evan Bourne won the Raw match.
Have a heel win the Raw title at Elimination Chamber (or after any brutal match) and as soon as the match is over, Bourne comes out to cash in.
As soon as he gets into the ring, Christian's music hits, he announces that he's also cashing in and jumping to Raw.

This way, someone is guaranteed to lose their title mtch, possibly both could.

Or you could have the two challengers decide to have a match to see who gets to face the champion at a later date

With 2 face GM's, is it possible they could introduce a rule saying that you would have to cash it in atleast 7 days before a match.

Think we had a thread on this a while ago, and there were a couple of very good ideas (that came from other people to be fair) on how you could make the cashing in more interesting:

- Have them cash it in before the title match starts - i.e. make said title match a triple threat.

OR (and I forget who came up with the idea but its GENIUS!)

- A title ladder match, both competitors are lying on the floor, MITB runs out, cashes in his shot - runs up the ladder and removes the belt.

You don't necessarily have to introduce the 7 day rule - it would atleast make it what it is - ie. a guarenteed title shot. I just hope the winner of the next one is a face (other than RVD they've all been heels haven't they?). And does an RVD and cashes it in ahead of the match.

Saying all of that, I really don't mind a heel coming out and cashing in after a match. Sure it's a bit predictable, but it's a match that is establishing new stars all the time.

first of all i never bought any of the wrestlemanias but the money in the bank match was always my favorite part. so if they do make a ppv will it no longer be in the wm cause if thats the case then dont do it.
but someone said that they have two cases then yeah that be cool one cashes it in and wins then the one cashes it in and loses that would work but there are only a couple people i would want to see lose it 1 edge hes won it two many times and i dont like him. 2 cm punk same reason since hes won it twice in a row and the straight edte society. 3 most importantly john cena i like him hes cool but hes been good far too long and heres the scenario he wins th ''mitb'' and he cashes it in and loses he goes beserke and does an epic heel turn but not the rapper heel turn no one needs a reminder of that but i would like to see evan, yoshi, or kofi,or especially kane, rey mysterio, or big show win it the last three havent had a world title run in 4ever. its alway cena, edge, undertaker, or randy orton as champ

I really hope the person who cashes in the MiTB doesn't lose if he gets the champion after a match or beat down because that would make that particular superstar look so bad... What the WWE ought to do is end the undefeated MiTB streak is like they do with the Royal Rumble, how Randy Orton won it 09 and then they didn't acknowledge it at all and everyone forgot when he lost at Mania. What I am trying to say is if someone cashed in there MiTB like RVD and lost I wouldn't mind but if the MiTB holder lost after jumping the person a la CM Punk, Edge etc. I would be pissed.

i think it depnds on how the ppv is worked. if it is a normal ppv with a MITB main event that would suck as it could be done anywhere what id like to see at the ppv are qualifiers for the MITB match then the MITB with maybe a championship match after the last qf and before the MITB, a reason for putting it in is so the last winner gets a fair rest time of sumthing. Personally i dont mind the winner always getting the strap after but i would like to see someone announce before they cash in like rvd and it would be awesome if someone did it for wrestlemania.

not to be picky, but a previous poster mentioned how RVD was the only face to cash in the MitB contract... so did CM Punk after his first win. in fact, he pinned the very heel Edge to do so, which was very fitting i thought.

anywho, on to the thread...

it doesn't bother me to know that the MitB winner is quite probably gonna be the next breakout star and future champion. part of the fun is not knowing "if" they will cash in, but "when". and as stated above, only twice has it been done by a face, so the opportunities for the cowardly heel way is a very easy story to write.

i liked the way Mr. Kennedy did his, before he lost it of course. he announced that he was gonna cash in at the next year's Mania main event. that would be awesome! this would be a very good way to write a nice and long and lengthy feud.

another thing to remember is this: RVD defended his briefcase. it was almost like a title for awhile before he cashed it in. briefcase vs. title, briefcase vs. hair, briefcase vs. mask, etc. these are all matches that would add just a little something to the mix. plus, it makes the briefcase seem significant, especially with every contender knowing that "if i have the briefcase, then probably i'm gonna be the next breakout star and champion".

another thing to consider is this: what about someone cashing it in with a tag partner and winning the Tag Titles? that would add instant credibility there! or with the IC or US Titles the same!

i'm not sure what to expect from this PPV. like all the gimmick PPV ideas there are, i'm just a little concerned that it takes away from the specialness of the matches. like seeing 3 MitB matches in one night will somehow take away from its once-a-year appearance at Mania, or 3 HiaC matches in one night takes away from seeing it as the final showdown for a huge feud. so that's my only concern, but i'll give it a shot. no sense complaining about something that hasn't messed up yet. i'll be fair there.

If you ask me, the reason for this is primarily based on the fact that the last few MITB winners cashed their case in at the most opportune time for them to win a la Edge, Punk & Swagger – following the conclusion of a match or when their opponents are in a weakened state. Most of the MITB winners are/were heels or ended up being heels and used the opportunity they'd won as a (quicker) means to an end as opposed to taking the more noble route of challenging for a title shot opportunity outright the way a face would likely do.

I don't want to see the MITB winner cash in and lose necessarily, but I do want to see them cash in their opportunities in less "shocking" and repetitive fashions by actually competing in full-blown matches for once.

RVD proved that with a great build and good timing, a face MITB win can provide the victory that we as fans crave. RVD's win had the right setting, the right event and buckets of emotions alongside it.

I think Kennedy was heading in the same way towards his cash-in. It would have seen him on a tremendous run and catapault him into the main event, which is what a face needs. THe only other way it would work be in the midst of a feud. Punk's first win didn't work because he somewhat heelishly took advantage of Edge. If they had been feuding then it would have made more sense.

Ok I have to be honest I didn't see the Swaggers cash in, & don't remember Punks 2nd cash in, the last one I remember seeing was Punks first cash in, and I thought it was incredibly ******ed, a face shouldn't be winning the title by cashing in his MITB contract and picking the bones of a freshly beaten champ, to me it just makes the face look weak, heels are the ones who are suppose to look like cowardly fucking ****** that take shortcuts to win championships, not the faces, so yeah I get tired of the MITB winner winning the title everytime, especially when they all seem to use the Edge method of becoming champ

I wouldn't mind, it would certainly be something new and fresh, and would be a good way to set up a long feud, I don't think it'll hurt MITB either, I mean the winner of the Royal Rumble doesn't automatically win at WM every year does he?

depends on how they set it up, I've always thought that if they had a series of qualifying matches with the winners advancing to the MITB match later that night, then that wouldn't mind, but I can't really imagine any other way they could do it where it would be work and not look like a complete waste of time, I'm still waiting to see how they set it up before deciding how I feel about an entire PPV built around a MITB match

I'm going to answer from both the heel and face perspective.

If You're A Face
I believe it did make Punk's first run look weak because he cashed it in a cowardly way against Edge. I would have wanted Punk to go the RVD and have a nice buildup with Edge before winning it. If a face wins MITB, I think it should be a guarantee that they will become champion only if they do a long build-up. I wouldn't have a problem if they lost either because it wouldn't make them look weak.

If You're A Heel
You most likely go the route Edge and Swagger did to winning the title. A heel will look severely weak if he cashes it in when a opponent is down yet loses. They have teased that the past few years but never did it. I don't see a heel holding the briefcase for a long time like Edge waiting for an opportunity to strike. He is going to do it very quickly.

Something else that I would like to see is someone win the MiTB match, and keep hold of it for the full year, not mentioning it, not carrying the briefcase around. Eventually people will start to forget that he has his opportunity.
Put him in multi-person title matches, eg Elimination Chamber/Fatal 4 Way. This would make him look like a more legit contender for the belt. You could even have him win the IC/US title towards the end of the year.
Then at WrestleMania (if a heel, do it the week before if a face), he comes out, says 'look what I found' and holds up the briefcase.

The guy would look really legit because he has been in title matches before, that he has EARNED the right to participate in (or people think he is in because he has cashed in MiTB).

And you get a Champion vs Champion match at WrestleMania. What more could you want

An honorable cash in for a change and they lose. Simple as that. Whoever it is that wins it. Have them lose, but make it look like they were just soo close, that the program can get continued and then eventually put the title around them. The "sure thing" title win needs to not end, but get stalled this time. Two MITB winners in one year? Yeah, one has to lose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back