• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Miz - Evolution of a Beatdown Artist

Harthan

Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
The Miz has a lot of talents. Many of them are talents that other guys have in abundance. He can work a great match. Take a look at his matches with Bryan, Morrison, Cena (ignoring the Mania match), Jerry Lawler, or Randy Orton. He's damn good between the ropes. He's also excellent on the stick. Over the course of his entire title reign, the Miz showcased that he can cut promos on par with the best of them - including the Rock or John Cena. But these are conventional talents, ones that can, to an extent, be taught. What the Miz also has is a talent that just can't be taught. He is the undisputed master of the beatdown.

[YOUTUBE]EcbCQzHR82M[/YOUTUBE]

This is a good example of Miz evolving as a beatdown artist. You can see a lot of little things that he dos. The angry, almost crazy muttering. The blindside from an unexpected angle (the crowd, in this case). The hard looking punches. Above all, the total intangible that makes him so good at what he does - the Miz convinces us that he is trying to seriously hurt Lawler. He's choking him, he's smashing his face in. It's in his eyes, too. Look at his eyes when he does this. He's given himself over to the role. At this stage, he's very good. He's gotten down the intangible air of violence, but his execution is still developing, as a lot of these spots are generic.

[YOUTUBE]tIG9FPI6Pl4[/YOUTUBE]

We're fast forwarding quite a bit to Miz beating down Alex Riley, and you can see the evolution of his game. If anything, the look in his eyes is even more violent. He makes it abundantly clear what his intentions are, here, and he does it well. His monologue is better, giving the impression of him truly having snapped as he does this. The violence in his eyes is fierce. These qualities haven't improved much, mostly because they were already so damn good. What has changed is his execution. He's much more unique in his attack on Riley, taking him outside the guardrail, beating him up on the table, and capping it off with the brutal kick to the face. What the Miz really improved in the execution of his beatdowns, while making strategic adjustments to his personality during the attack. While he was very good in the first, here he is definitely entering a class of his own.

[YOUTUBE]nXXg-_j2xeI[/YOUTUBE]

This right here is where Miz truly shows that he is a one of a kind beatdown master. This is just beautiful from start to finish. The blindside attack is perfect. The violence in his eyes is proof that he's truly given himself over to his character, in this moment. And the attack itself - it is utterly convincing that he is trying to kill Rey. He isn't punching him, or kicking him, or smacking him around outside the arena. He is smashing his face into a hunk of metal over and over again. These are the actions of a killer. And the crowning moment - he gets pulled off, seemingly restrained. Then he smashes into Rey, kicking his face and hammering him into the metal, again. It's completely brutal, and he sells it like he's trying to murder Mysterio. No one else in the WWE today executes a beatdown like the Miz.

Not only does this show how damn good the Miz is at what he does, it shows how deeply he dedicates himself to his job. He's working the B or perhaps even C feud on Raw and might not even wrestle at SummerSlam, and he still executes probably the best beatdown of his life on Rey. The Miz has tons of natural talent, but he puts it to work - he makes sure every time he's on screen, he's doing something memorable, and his beatdowns are a shining example of his dedication to his craft.

He is good at giving beatdowns. But he's also good at receiving them. Alex Riley kicked his ass 2 weeks in a row which really made him look weak. But Miz has great emotion whenever he gets pissed off.
Can you imagine some of the stuff his character can pull off if it was TV-14? I mean those are pretty good beatdowns but can you imagine him attacking someone. Dragging him all the way backstage. And leaving him in a pool of his own blood? That's the stuff I would like to see from The Miz character. Just like Triple H was known for his vicious and unmerciful beatdowns back in 2003/2005.

Can you imagine some of the stuff his character can pull off if it was TV-14? I mean those are pretty good beatdowns but can you imagine him attacking someone. Dragging him all the way backstage. And leaving him in a pool of his own blood? That's the stuff I would like to see from The Miz character. Just like Triple H was known for his vicious and unmerciful beatdowns back in 2003/2005.

I can imagine very much how awesome his character would be if it was TV-14. But that's never going to happen. Sad to say it but I don't think we will ever see a really bloody beatdown for a long long time to come.

Miz is a great beatdown artist and I love his current character. I would like to see this program he will have with Rey when he comes back. Maybe a WWE Championship feud somewhere down the road? Even if not, the best of the Miz is yet to come and the future promises only good things, he is growing and getting better every week.

This is why he's one of WWE's finest. He's working his ass off every time he gets in that ring. The Miz brings so much to his character in ring and off ring. The intensity you've mentioned is so true, most guys today would make it look dull or bland. But when it's The Miz, he brings in so much raw emotion to his beatdowns and violent ambushes. If anyone wants to execute a proper beatdown, they gotta watch The Miz at work. :)

Yea, Miz is pretty much fuckin awesome.
Looks and willingness to do a ton of appearances? check
Great on the mic in the ring, backstage, in a bathroom, on the moon? Check
Can work a smart match with anyone from main eventing mania with the top draw in the world to making a raw babyface look like a million bucks? Check
Beatdowns? check
recieveing a beatdown? Check

Miz is the only guy I can see legitimately giving Cena a run for his money as the top draw in the company. He's not a technical wizard but being a technical wizard hasn't gotten anyone the top draw status since Sammartino.

As my screenname clearly indicates, I am a huge Miz fan. I love everything about him. But this thread hits the nail on the head with one of his particularly exceptional skills. His beatdown prowess is part of what established the Miz as a believable main event force, and his beatdown on Rey this Monday night was one of the highlights of the show. Excellent performance. Keep up the good work, Miz!

At first no i was not a miz fan at all!! But as his character has developed into what it is THE MIZ IS INDEED AWESOME!!! He has tons of emotion very skilled in the ring can give beatdowns and receive them!! What more can i ask i wish it was TV14 but nope not gonna happen anytime soon!! TV14 would truly let his character shine i mean he does a hella of a job being in the PG era!! The miz needs to be champion again very soon.. IMO he is in the top three superstars right now!! i wont go into how he became the miz we all know the story.. I look forward to seeing him on raw every week

Top 3 wreslters? Nah....

But this is a great thread with great clips. I didnt have to watch them, because the Miz's performance made me remember them. With that being said, the best of the beatdown "artists", nah......

1st of all, think about how much time he's allowed on tv when putting on these beatdowns? Other than world title storylines, who gets more television time showing how strong their character is than the Miz? R Truth, with his water bottle of destruction? He shows great emotion, yes. But I truthfully feel that if you givea guy like Jack Swagger that much time of unrelenting aggression, he may impress you the same.

Plus there are guys that are just much more brutal than him, that I refuse to give that title to the Miz. I'd prefer to watch a beatdown from SHEAMUS than anyone right now. My 1st thought of a Sheamus beatdown is how he squashed Daniel Bryan post Wrestlemania. When that 275 bag of powder drops those knees on the back of your head, it looks like a wrap. Sheamus can show just as much brutality in a 45 second beatdown than Miz in four minutes.

And don't forget about a heel Orton. He's just playing nice for now

He is definitely a great wrestler and is definitely the future of WWE. He does have qualities that many wrestlers past and present haven't been fortunate enough to have. He has great mic skills. He is great in the ring and can carry people threw a match which we saw with Lawler. He is very capable of delivering a beat down, he shows emotion and he looks like he means it. He is also very capable of receiving a beat down. So all in all Miz is awesome.

I really liked the Riley beatdown it was the best part of that episode and it made the Miz look like he was at breaking point and frustrated when he was dishing out the beatdown i found it believable so was his shocked face when Riley reversed the pin during the match and the Miz looked shocked.

The Miz has that natural charisma that can pretty much be applied to anything he has to to in the WWE. If you look at some of his interviews, outside of WWE, you can tell he has no difficulty being in character and is quite energetic at what he does. I think being a good beatdown artist is very important to a champion or a contender. Those are the guys you see when RAW is about to go off the air standing over their wounded opponent.

*shudders* The Miz always used to make me think of a jerky frog with a big mouth but now adays he is reminding me of when I first started watching WWE (you know; before I found out the truth) and Batista scared the living shit out of me. My very first beatdown: Batista takes out Cena.

Now I laugh about that because I don't like Cena.

Miz is finally hitting wrestling puberty which in his case means he is without a title, without a real cause to complain, but full of red hot anger. Which means I'm walking three paces behind him in the supermarket. He might go the way of Batista and do this for a while or this is just a small snap and he'll be back to bad-mouthing it in no time.

Until we find out what's going on with him we'll just have to stick with the new Mr. Beatdown.

Now if you need me, I'll be under the ring with the chairs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back