The IWC - just a stupid label?

Uncle Sam

Rear Naked Bloke
I think so. When someone says internet wrestling community, it's assumed that they mean, well, have you read Glenn's definition? People that like Japanese wrestling from the 80's, treasure indie wrestlers, read all the dirtsheets, etc. etc. However, I have "met" very few people that actually hold views like this.

Personally, I think that if you come on and say you hate the IWC, you're hating yourself. By participating in a site such as this, you are part of the Internet Wrestling Community. And I think that the vast majority of the IWC doesn't hold views like those stated.

I'd say that the IWC actually has a massive variety of views - even if you're a WWE fan, you may prefer Michaels over Hogan. Even if you like women wrestling, you might prefer the Fabulous Moolah over Awesome Kong. Everyone has their own personal views, and they normally differ massively in certain areas. Hence why I think stereotyping the IWC as this big monster that eats up Hulk Hogan and spits out Bryan Danielson is just stupid, as they're just a small minority.

And while we're on it; smark and mark. These words have been thrown about so much they've lost all meaning. You may as well call someone a ********, as when people call someone a smark or a mark it's normally irrelevant to their views, it's just that they don't like you or you have different views to them.

So, not to stereotype, but is the IWC full of pointless and nigh on meaningless labels?

Yes, it's a very stupid label. It's a very big generalisation.

I know some people say that the IWC are just a bunch of Cena 'smarks' but that's not true, one of the better posters on here, Rusty likes Cena which is an example of why I think it's a bit stupid. Some people like Cena, some don't. Just like Glenns definition, some like that stuff, some won't. Just like the case which you point out with Hogan and Danielson. Some like Hogan some like Danielson, so to me it seems a bit childish to bring everyone who posts on the internet websites and put them into one single group and label them all together.

Glenn thinks that Glenn is the be all and end all. He is a knowledgeable person in todays wrestling world but when he bags out the IWC as a whole, as you pointed out he is just hating himself because he has joined this site and is participating in the debates going on in the Disco Nation thread.

The problem that I have is by choice, I am the very definition of an internet wrestling fan. I am sure I am not alone.

I dont have Sky and I have the internet at home which means that I have no chance to catch live wrestling shows (I have never been able to stay up late and watch a PPV) and instead rely on websites to garner the news and show results. I also buy a lot of DVD's and magazines.

But I don't fit into Gilberti's definition and I hate his position on it. I like cruisers and was drawn into TNA by AJ Styles and the X division during his last run as champ, but I don't choose just to watch lightweights as I enjoy WWE, ECW and WCW just as much.

I have not seen a lot of Japanese stuff but I admire the style. And yes I am a fan of ROH but that is due to the indy style they put out.

The IWC label sucks because it seems to me Gliberti is trying to devalue our views on some things when it is just as valid. Every one has their own preferences and the great thing about the 'net is that we can discuss this freely and enlighten others. (This was justified during the single tournament last year when Malenko, Bigelow and Vader were being showcased ahead many more famous names.)

Also about Cena, I like his work up until WM20 with the rapper stuff, he was great. But as good as he is on the mic still, his punches and general offence is so poor. The fact that he has not corrected his awful technique, simply makes him more unpopular with the wrestling fans who have grown up through Hulkamania and the Attitude era, but are now old enough to see through him and his shit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back