The Greatest Triple Threat Match of All Time?

X

RIP Sgt. Michael Paranzino / RIP CM
So I was watching one of my favorite matches earlier, which so happened to be a triple threat match-up, and I got to thinking. What are some of the greatest triple threat matches of all time? This is not a spam thread, so please explain why you feel a certain match or matches are the best of all time.

For me, it comes down to only one match, and that is AJ Styles vs. Christopher Daniels vs. Samoa Joe from TNA Unbreakable 2005. That match, to me, is simply a perfect match. The way that all three of these men just feed on each other and the way they staged the spots in this match just has you scratching your head in AWE. These three went out and gave 110%, used every move in their repertoire, and delivered the fans of TNA and great wrestling in general with an undeniable classic. For me, this will always be the crowning achievement of the promotion. Sad to see how different the company is now, compared to the greatness they used to deliver.

Anyways, here you go, brought to you by the TNAWrestling YouTube channel:

So let's hear it everyone. What's your favorite triple threat match?

Anyone who has read any of my wrestling posts, knows that I'm a die-hard old school ECW fan. So, I'm going to spread the love in here. I was thinking about the Douglas v. Funk v. Sabu Three Way Dance that all but cemented ECW, but I think I need to go with one that has a little more behind it.

At ECW's first pay-per-view, Terry Funk squared off against Sandman and Stevie Richards in a #1 Contenders match to see who would face Raven that same night for the gold. On paper, these three couldn't work a solid match at any stage of their careers, but they pulled it off. I'd even call it match of the night. Everyone knew Stevie would lose first, since there's wasn't a chance in hell of him facing his boss for the belt, and it was a fan's dream to see Funk and Sandman duking it out for the title shot. Funk winning was just icing on the cake...

I was suprised that the first response wasn't the Wrestlemania XX classic between Benoit, HBK and HHH. It was a great culmination of the Royal Rumble and the HBK vs HHH feud all rolled into one, but there are dissenters who say Shawn shouldn't have even been involved in the match. I respectfully disagree, as he added a certain spice to the match, and some of the thing he did, from moonsault to an awesome blade job were tremendous.

As Xfearbefore mentioned in his classic, the Unbreakable triple threat that would take place a year later, these guys gave 110%, It was a textbook showing of a triple threat match, with finishers and rescues coming at the last minute. A great, great half an hour match that saw a table spot, two blade jobs and a heartwarming ending as Benoit lifted the title above his head.

But dont just take my word for it.

[youtube]VM_MrZWpr3Q[/youtube]

[youtube]eQiimHHBOsQ[/youtube]

[youtube]lji83S7SCds[/youtube]

[youtube]kxt511Jc1Bc[/youtube]

Sorry its so segmented. Couldnt be bothered ripping my copy of WMXX

My all time favorite Triple Threat match is Diamond Dallas Page vs. Raven vs. Chris Benoit for the United States Championship at Uncensored 1998. However, I'm pretty sure I explained why that is recently, so instead of just restating what I once said, I'll just give my opinion on what I believe is the greatest Triple Threat match in history. And that is... well, it's a toss up between two matches.

The first being the match NSL brought up, in Shane Douglas vs. Sabu vs. Terry Funk at 'The Night the Line Was Crossed'. Now, this match, like many others from the past, doesn't hold up well this day and age; however, for its time, it was truly incredible. These guys went all out, and put ECW on the map with their performances in this one. It's the most important match in ECW history, according to Paul Heyman, and to me that automatically puts it in the discussion of the greatest Triple Threat matches in history.

The second match I was referring to has also been brought up in this thread by Mantaur Rodeo Clown, and that of course is the main event of Wrestlemania 20 between Chris Benoit/HHH/HBK. The match was simply incredible. Everything about it was perfect, and the ending, seeing HHH tap out to one of my favorite wrestlers at that point in time, just made it that much more spectacular. I bitch about HHH a lot, but he did give me that one moment and match, and I'll always be thankful for at least that.

As far as the Daniels/Joe/Styles... I think it's extremely overrated. Is it good? Sure, but it's nothing that blew me away. Honestly, Samoa Joe vs. AJ Styles from Sacrifice 2005 was a much better match than that one, in my opinion, but I also consider that one of the greatest matches in history, so to compare the two in my book is a little unfair.

And lastly, while typing this up another Triple Threat match came to my mind, and that is Kurt Angle vs. Brock Lesnar vs. Big Show from Smackdown's very first pay-per-view, Vengeance 2003. That match was fucking awesome. It really was. From the get go, they went full pace and just beat the living shit out of each other, and it lasted for about a good 20 minutes. Great, great match.

Reactions: TLC
At ECW's first pay-per-view, Terry Funk squared off against Sandman and Stevie Richards in a #1 Contenders match to see who would face Raven that same night for the gold. On paper, these three couldn't work a solid match at any stage of their careers, but they pulled it off. I'd even call it match of the night. Everyone knew Stevie would lose first, since there's wasn't a chance in hell of him facing his boss for the belt, and it was a fan's dream to see Funk and Sandman duking it out for the title shot. Funk winning was just icing on the cake...

Damn good match NSL. As you said, nobody expected those three to put on the show they did, and they just surprised everyone and really cemented that event as an all time classic.

Here it is, albeit not in the best of quality:

I was suprised that the first response wasn't the Wrestlemania XX classic between Benoit, HBK and HHH. It was a great culmination of the Royal Rumble and the HBK vs HHH feud all rolled into one, but there are dissenters who say Shawn shouldn't have even been involved in the match. I respectfully disagree, as he added a certain spice to the match, and some of the thing he did, from moonsault to an awesome blade job were tremendous.

As Xfearbefore mentioned in his classic, the Unbreakable triple threat that would take place a year later, these guys gave 110%, It was a textbook showing of a triple threat match, with finishers and rescues coming at the last minute. A great, great half an hour match that saw a table spot, two blade jobs and a heartwarming ending as Benoit lifted the title above his head.

Absolutely agreed on that one as well MRC, great and obvious pick. It's a shame that match has been forgotten and tainted because of the Benoit tragedy. To be honest, I can't even bear to watch that match any longer. Well, atleast not the closing celebration. It's too...angering/sad/depressing to see Benoit and his little boy celebrating. I can't bring myself to watch that again.

The first being the match NSL brought up, in Shane Douglas vs. Sabu vs. Terry Funk at 'The Night the Line Was Crossed'. Now, this match, like many others from the past, doesn't hold up well this day and age; however, for its time, it was truly incredible. These guys went all out, and put ECW on the map with their performances in this one. It's the most important match in ECW history, according to Paul Heyman, and to me that automatically puts it in the discussion of the greatest Triple Threat matches in history.

I honestly thought I'd get laughed off the forums for mentioning ECW here, so I'm glad someone agrees with me. While this match is one of the top 3 or 4 most important in ECW history, the one from Barely Legal is my favorite. It was entertaining to watch, even though you knew who would win, and that's something special. I will give the original Three Way Dance credit for making Shane Douglas even relevant to the history of wrestling though.

Damn good match NSL. As you said, nobody expected those three to put on the show they did, and they just surprised everyone and really cemented that event as an all time classic.

Here it is, albeit not in the best of quality:

I'd have dirty sex with you if you were near me. Thanks for posting it!

My all time favorite Triple Threat match is Diamond Dallas Page vs. Raven vs. Chris Benoit for the United States Championship at Uncensored 1998. However, I'm pretty sure I explained why that is recently, so instead of just restating what I once said, I'll just give my opinion on what I believe is the greatest Triple Threat match in history. And that is... well, it's a toss up between two matches.

Damn underrated match that is JMT. I know you're a big Raven mark, well I was a big DDP mark (still am really), and throw in a technical God like Benoit, and that was just a recipe for greatness. Loved that match. Fuck Raven had a wonderful run in WCW. Until the Goldberg plague struck him down of course. Raven could've been big man.

Another solid choice. Very important and brutal match. I wouldn't go so far as to call it the greatest of all time though, simply because of my preference for a more technical match.

As far as the Daniels/Joe/Styles... I think it's extremely overrated. Is it good? Sure, but it's nothing that blew me away. Honestly, Samoa Joe vs. AJ Styles from Sacrifice 2005 was a much better match than that one, in my opinion, but I also consider that one of the greatest matches in history, so to compare the two in my book is a little unfair.

Probably the reason I love that match so much is because that's the match that sold me on TNA. After I saw that match, I knew TNA was something I had to check out and keep my eye on. That match really blew me away after how stale the WWE had grown at the time. I still think it's one of the best triple threats of all time, nearly half an hour of three of the very best in-ring workers of this decade going all out. Fun match.

And lastly, while typing this up another Triple Threat match came to my mind, and that is Kurt Angle vs. Brock Lesnar vs. Big Show from Smackdown's very first pay-per-view, Vengeance 2003. That match was fucking awesome. It really was. From the get go, they went full pace and just beat the living shit out of each other, and it lasted for about a good 20 minutes. Great, great match.

Yet another solid choice! I loved that match. That was the second year in a row Vengeance featured a great triple threat match, though I prefer the main event from 2002. The Rock vs. Kurt Angle vs. The Undertaker was simply an epic match, and one of the very best of Rock's career in my opinion.

Absolute classic right here...

And what about triple threat tag team matches? Would we still classify these as triple threat matches? I suppose we better, considering that most of the truly classic triple threat matches have been dissected already. If we're looking at all of the many classic triple threat tag team matches, looking through TLC and more, I've found my favourite tag team triple threat. It was from Survivor Series 2002, and I loved this match.

It was the teams of Los Guerreros, Angle and Benoit and Mysterio and Edge facing off for the WWE Tag Team Titles. Is that a great line up or what? Whats with me and the Benoit matches today? In any case its a great match which you can just love watching, because of all the chaos of the 3 teams going into overdrive. I mean I don't care how much wrestling you watch, any time you see the Ankle Lock/Crossface combo or the Sunset flip/German Suplex combo it looks great.

I don't know if it's been sort of forgotten, perhaps not, but coming on the show right before the first ever Elimination Chamber may have lead to it being not as well recognized as it should be. I personally thought this was a great match, and definately one of my favourites in a great pay per view.

Now lets see if I cant find this bastard on youtube. Can you embed dailymotion clips?

Sorry its a bit cut off, Its the best I could find

And what about triple threat tag team matches? Would we still classify these as triple threat matches? I suppose we better, considering that most of the truly classic triple threat matches have been dissected already.

Oh yeah, tag team triple threat matches can be counted as well; they are technically still triple threat matches!

If we're looking at all of the many classic triple threat tag team matches, looking through TLC and more, I've found my favourite tag team triple threat. It was from Survivor Series 2002, and I loved this match.

It was the teams of Los Guerreros, Angle and Benoit and Mysterio and Edge facing off for the WWE Tag Team Titles. Is that a great line up or what? Whats with me and the Benoit matches today? In any case its a great match which you can just love watching, because of all the chaos of the 3 teams going into overdrive. I mean I don't care how much wrestling you watch, any time you see the Ankle Lock/Crossface combo or the Sunset flip/German Suplex combo it looks great.

I don't know if it's been sort of forgotten, perhaps not, but coming on the show right before the first ever Elimination Chamber may have lead to it being not as well recognized as it should be. I personally thought this was a great match, and definately one of my favourites in a great pay per view.

Another great choice MRC, Survivor Series 2002 was also one of my very favorites. Growing up, HBK was my favorite wrestler (well, besides Austin of course), and when he finally returned in 2002, it was the biggest mark-out moment of my entire life. It was awesome enough just seeing him come back for what was thought to be a one-time thing. But when he WON the World Title...man to say I was excited would be the understatement of the century. I was jumping around, pumping my fists in the air, doing little dances. It's right up there for the greatest moments in wrestling history in my book.

The PPV all around was very solid, and that triple threat tag team match was great, and really helped get the crowd ready for the epicness that was that first Elimination Chamber.

Now lets see if I cant find this bastard on youtube. Can you embed dailymotion clips?

Yep, Daily Motion clips can be embedded, this is the code:

[MEDIA=dailymotion]Insert DM Code Here[/MEDIA]

Say this was the link to the vid you wanted to embed:

http://www.dailymotion.com/relevance/search/eddie+guerrero+dean+malenko++ecw/video/x11111

The bold part is what you'd insert into the "DM" tags.

Embed away brother!

I dont know whether this has been named yet cant be bothered to look, but yeah i seriously love this match 3 great competiters going at it in a solid match, i loved the near falls and each superstar hitting the other superstars finisher made this match amazing, then the ending was great seeing as i love the rock it made it something special to have a match like that for his last world championship reign.

Dammit, I wrote a post like this not to long ago... Really didn't take off... Guess that's where being X comes in handy... Anyway....

The rock vs taker vs angle was one of the best matches that I personally have ever seen. It truly was a great match. Were all three men worked their asses of... I agree with you X it was one of the Rock's greatest matches. He did an outstanding job!

Another match that we can't forget as a triple threat is. TLC 1 AND 2.... That was the highest point in the tag team division imo. You had the Hardyz, E&C and the Dudley boys. It was an awesome match!

tlc 1... I laughed so hard at edge is introduction...
[youtube]4xIE1nVdvi4[/youtube]

[youtube]lRcWxojMR8A&feature[/youtube]

[youtube]LIXSPrfDaeA&feature[/youtube]

and tlc 2

[youtube]FloIvcYmnU0&feature[/youtube]

[youtube]fKXtsx_CI6E&feature[/youtube]

[youtube]VeIMnVYzckY&feature[/youtube]

I definatley agree with NSL. The Funk/Sandman/Stevie is my favorite as well. But since it was said before me, I'm going to have to go with a different one. How about the WM16 triple threat match for both the IC and European Titles between Angle, Benoit, and Jericho.

I don’t know about Greatest, but my favorite Triple Threat match is Kurt Angle vs. Chris Benoit vs. Chris Jericho for the Intercontinental and European Championships at WrestleMania 2000 (16 or X-6 or XVI, for those counting). One Champion, Two Titles, Three Superstars. I thought it was entertaining with action and comedy.

This isn't based on match quality or whatever, but my favourite is the Ultimate X match between AJ Styles, Petey Williams and Chris Sabin from late 2004 I think? Anyway, the two best spots were when AJ was hanging from the Ultimate X ropes and Sabin hits him from behind with a Springboard Dropkick, flipping AJ onto his back in one of the sickest bumps I've seen in a looong time. Secondly, the finish with AJ literally flying across the ring to grab the belt out of the other two's hands. Awesome

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back