• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Greatest Swerve that you never saw coming?

Great American Bash 88. Ron Garvin knocks out Dusty Rhodes. At the time I did not see that comming at all. My buddy and I both stood up in shock. It was a classic heel turn. It's to bad the feud never went anywhere.

in wrestling terms, one that has not been mentioned that was atleast big at the time: matt hardy hitting jeff with a chair during a title match against edge.

in a larger scale you could argue that one of wrestlings largest 'swerves' was TNA becoming successful and surviving wwe dominance!

Posted from Wrestlezone.com App for Android

Shane Douglas dropping the NWA World title, calling it a "dead company" and then debuting the ECW World title. To this day, that has to be one of the dumbest things I've ever seen, and not because of ECW or anything. But rather the fact that they disrespected a legacy as golden as the NWA. But it was still a shocking swerve, so I put it in here.

Barber Shop window. Okay looking back on it, you know hindsight 20/20, it was a sure fire bet that someone was going to turn. But at that time, I didn't see it coming. And a part of me, wishes it hadn't. But it did, and we got one of the greatest legends in the business out of it. Plus, we also got the biggest mismatch tag team in Marty Janetty and Sean Waltman in Chikara.

Vince appearing on WCW Monday Nitro, and then Shane appearing as well. Let's face it, nobody saw that one coming. It was the worst thing we could imagine. One company out buying another company and then there being only one big company left. It's sad to think that this hasn't been listed though.

Vince McMahon appearing on USWA. What made this feud so great was the fact that it was back and forth with Jerry Lawler being heel in WWF and then Bret and company being heel in USWA. This is also where the heel chairman originated from, and to this day, is one of Vince's prime heel runs. If you haven't seen it, then your life is a scam. Go to the hospital you were born in and ask for a refund.

Kevin Steen turning on El Generico... It's a recent one, but I still did NOT see that one coming. It has to be one of the greatest swerves ever and the sad part is that it wasn't seen by many people. :(

And finally...

HHH pedigrees HBK on Raw... which would be the beginning of Evolution. It was one of those things where I felt uneasy about the whole thing, but I also felt like everything was under control. It was nice to see HHH on Raw with HBK, and it would've been better to see them reunite back then, but that moment shocked me and would continue to merge into the best stable in the past 15 years.

As you can see, I left out the "Hogan turn" and "Montreal Screwjob"... and anything concerning The Rock. I did that because those seem to be "easy picks". I went with some things more shocking yet not quite remembered.

Some good ones. But a moment i was genuinely shocked at was Chris Jericho becoming the first ever undisputed champion. I was sure The Rock or Austin would win it.

Shawn Michaels turning heel on Marty Janetty. In retrospect all the signs were there, but in 1991 I wasn't paying attention to minutiae and foreshadowing. I just wanted The Rockers to keep on rocking. Needless to say, when Michaels superkicked his partner and then sent him headfirst him through the Barber Shop window, I was shocked. The mark in me still hasn't fully forgiven HBK for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back