The Greatest Match in RAW History

What is the greatest match in RAW history?

• Undertaker vs. Hardy, Ladder Match

• Cena vs. Punk, winner faces The Rock

• HHH vs. HBK, World Heavyweight Title

• HHH vs. Y2J, WWF Title

• Bulldog vs. Owen Hart, European Title Tournament Finals

• Cena vs. HBK, hour long match in England

• Flair vs. Mr. Perfect, Loser Leaves Town

• Bret Hart vs. 1-2-3 Kid

• Mankind vs. The Rock, Mankind's first WWF Title win

• Cactus Jack vs. Triple H, Street Fight

• Jericho/Benoit vs. Austin/HHH, HHH fucks his leg, also Tag Titles

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
There's a list on WWE.com looking at the top ten matches to take place on RAW, and it's actually a pretty comprehensive list. I'm a huge fan of every match on it, and I honestly can;t say which one stands out as the absolute best. The question is simple, what is the greatest match in the history of Monday Night RAW?

Let's take a quick look at the candidates.

July 1st 2002: Undertaker vs. Jeff Hardy, Ladder Match for the Undisputed Title
This is a big one for me personally. I was a fucking Jeff Hardy mark at the time and as was screaming at my fucking TV when he was climbing that ladder. This is one of the matches that really hooked me as a younger viewer and is probably one of the reasons why I'm a loser that makes polls on a wrestling forum today.

February 25th 2013: John Cena vs. CM Punk, Winner faces the Rock for the WWE Title at WrestleMania 29
The two best wrestlers of the modern era, the greatest rivalry of the modern era. A 45-minute classic, I think this match mighty slightly edge out the others for me. I know I said I couldn't pick one, but this could be the one.

December 29th 2003: Shawn Michaels vs. Triple for the World Heavyweight Championship
One of the many matches in the war between Triple H and Shawn Michaels. Probably the least remarkable match on the list which says a lot.

April 17th 2000: Chris Jericho vs. Triple H for the WWF Title
A match that capped off an incredible night for Chris Jericho. He wrestled three times and won the WWF Title from the top heel in the business. Unfortunately it was due to a fast count by Hebner, who was sick of Triple H's shit, and it ended up getting reversed. A great night of entertainment overall and a great match.

March 3rd 1997: British Bulldog vs. Owen Hart for the European Title
The finals of the European Title tournament in 1997. A technical classic, and probably the best European Title match ever. That's obviously not saying much, but the match was still very good.

April 23rd 2007: John Cena vs. Shawn Michaels
I can see this match possibly winning the poll. Basically what happened is that there was some kind of flgiht issue so RAW was grossly understaffed. So they decided to just send out Cena and HBK to wrestle for an hour and it was fucked. Cena and HBK had a great match at WrestleMania and this match was even better. What makes it extra special is that it was so spontaneous, it wasn't really part of any plan, it just happened. Like me.

January 25th 1993: Ric Flair vs. Mr. Perfect, Loser Leaves Town
The earliest match on the list. Another personal favorite of mine, a great match between two of the all-time best. Mr. Perfect went on to beat Flair, ending Flair's first run with the company. Definitely going out on a high note.

July 11th 1994: Bret Hart vs. 1-2-3 Kid
The first match that popped into my head when I though "what is the best match ever on RAW." Another match from the early years of RAW, between two of the best workers at that time. The match got a standing ovation from Randy Savage, which was very well deserved.

January 4th 1999: Mankind vs. The Rock for the WWF Title
Pretty much the ultimate feel good moment in wrestling. Mankind wins the WWF Title. When Austin came out and hit the Rock with a chair it was probably the loudest pop ever. This match is also credited as being a major turning point in the Monday Night War.

September 22nd 1997: Cactus Jack vs. Triple H in a Street Fight
The WWF debut of Cactus Jack, in Madison Square Garden. Triple H sold the appearance of Cactus Jack perfectly and it made for one of the best RAW moments ever and one of the best RAW matches ever. This moment would later be used again in 2000 during the Cactus/HHH feud over the World Title.

May 21st 2001: Jericho & Benoit vs. Austin & Triple H for the Tag-Team Titles
This match didn't make the top ten list on WWE.com, probably because Benoit murdered his family, but I decided to throw it in here. This was the match where Triple H fucked up his leg and still finished.

So what do you guys think? What's your favorite RAW match?

Oh it's gotta be UT vs. Jeff Hardy . Literally the first thing I thought of when I read the post and was thrilled it was listed on here. Going in I was 100% sure it was a squash match and they made me believe Jeff was going to win. It was a classic. And Jeff after the match on the mic was gold. Instant Classic. Best Raw match, hands down.

I have voted for punk vs cena but there are two more match Shelton vs hbk and Cena vs Cesaro 2014.
They both are classical.
I have most of them but Cena vs punk was at different level altogether, the story they told was magnificent and Cena hurricana to surpise Punk before delivering AA was fine eg. of storytelling , no blood, no spot fest just pure wrestling .
Always said 2011 wrestlmania and 2013 both should have between Punk and Cena as main event with Punk winning the rumble in 11and winning the championship while Cena winning the Rumble in 2013 and winning the championship. Rock should have lost to Cena in 12 wrestlemania.

HBK vs CENA, JEFF HARDY vs THE UNDERTAKER, CENA vs PUNK this 3 matches is on same levels. But i opted CENA vs HBK bcoz it is considered as the greatest match in RAW history by most of the universe and also bcoz it was such a classic..They going one on one for one hour and HBK winning the TITLE was once for a lifetime..

But i think last one year we had a lot of great fast paced matches on RAW..
Especially last two months every JOHN CENA US open challenge matches was incredible..
I loved JOHN CENA vs SAMI ZAYN out of all that matches..ZAYN's blue thunder bomb on CENA was priceless and it was the most incredible us open challenge match in my opinion..

I had to go with Mankind Vs The Rock for Mankinds first WWF title win. That episode of Raw was better than most PPV's and the feel good moment when Mick Foley raised the belt was a truly remarkable and very memorable event for me when I followed WWF through the attitude era.

Other memorable matches - Bret Hart Vs 1-2-3 Kid from July 1994, and who can forget the excellent Match between HBK and Marty Janetty in 1993.

You always miss some great matches, dont you Sexellence??? Add these to your list:

HBK vs KURT ANGLE - 30 minute Ironman Match - 10/03/2005. A wrestling clinic by two of the best.

STONE COLD vs THE ROCK - WWF championship - 11/16/1998. A super hot crowd for this great rivalry. Rock and Vince nailed THE best promo EVER in the history of Raw to kick off this show. This is post Deadly Games ppv.

CHRIS BENOIT vs KURT ANGLE - Steel Cage Match (Austin on commentary) - 6/11/2001. ***** match. Austin is great on commentary.

Shawn Michaels vs Marty Jannetty IC title in the early days of raw. Jannetty wins the IC title here.

Jannetty and Kid vs the Quebeccers for the tag titles. One of my favorite tag matches from the 90s.

Owen vs Bulldog from Berlin. One of the best technical matches ever.

Flag Match: Bret/Owen/Davey vs Taker/Austin/Dude Love in 97. Crowd was electric. One of my favorite Raws ever. USA vs Can stuff was gold.

Shawn Michaels vs Cena in UK. I still consider this the best John Cena match ever.

Shawn michaels vs Kurt angle 30min iron man at raw homecoming. These two together always over delivered.

DX & the Radicalz vs. Cactus Jack, The Rock & Too Cool was a BRILLIANT match, buckets of fun, super over with the hot crowd and shone everybody greatly.

Im an HBK FAN...been my favorite forever. While I love the Cena match on Raw....Punks match with him impressed me more. Maybe because I wasnt expecting it? Maybe it was because of the rules (real rules) they decided to bend....to me that was my all time favorite.

I'll have to go with Mick Foley winning the WWE Championship right in the middle of the Monday Night Wars. There probably will never be a bigger win in a RAW Main Event like that. Not expected to be a champion...total underdog story mixed with WCW screwing up and announcing the match on WCW Nitro and losing big in the ratings.

Shelton Benjamin vs HBK should be on here. That was a great match.

I went with Cena/HBK in London. That match was absolutely exceptional in every way and showed me, who was an avid Cena hater back then, that the man could go.

I may be in the minority on this. But i'd say Cena vs. Cesaro II from just a few weeks ago on Raw. That match was friggin awesome, perfect psycology,counters,both man was being relentless. Both man benifited from it. Cena boost the US Title cred a little bit and Cesaro became a top star from it. It was a great match,filled with submissions and pinfalls. I stopped watching WWE a long time ago and didn't start watching again until the last Raw of 2009. So yeah!!!!!!!

Just wanted to add an honorable mention that never gets talked about and thats Austin/Michaels vs Bulldog/Owen for the tag titles in 1997.

The others had some great wrestling but I have to go with Foley/Rock after the Bischoff screw up. It will always be remembered by most as the turning point in the WWF/WCW Monday Night Wars. I rarely watched RAW as I preferred Nitro but I did turn the channel that night.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back