The Greatest Intercontinental Title Matches of All Time

There have been numerous classic matches for the Intercontinental Championship over the course of its history, and the Title has been a stepping stone to the main event for some of the biggest stars in the WWE, past or present. But of all these great Intercontinental Title matches, which are the greatest?

A few of the more obvious examples include the classic Steamboat/Savage IC Title match that stole the show at WrestleMania III, Hulk Hogan vs. the Ultimate Warrior at WrestleMania VI (yes the World Title was also on the line, but it's still historic given that it's the only time the IC Title has been at stake in a WrestleMania main event), the HBK/Razor Ladder Match to determine the Undisputed IC Champion at WrestleMania X, and the Ladder Match between Triple H and the Rock at SummerSlam 1998.

So what are some of your favourite Intercontinental Championship matches of all time?

Bret Hart vs Mr. Perfect at Summerslam 1991, Bret Hart vs. Roddy Piper at WM8, Bret Hart vs. the British Bulldog at Summerslam 1992, Shawn Michaels vs. Razor Ramon at Summerslam 1995, Shawn Michaels vs. Jeff Jarrett. All those matches has phenomenal work rate.

Bulldog vs Bret at Summerslam '92 springs to mind, also Benoit/Jericho from Backlash 2000 and their amazing ladder match at Royal Rumble 2001.

My favorite Intercontinental championship matches would be Bret Hart vs Mr. Perfect SummerSlam 91, Bret Hart vs British Bulldog Summerslam 92, Owen Hart vs Stone Cold SummerSlam 97 and finally the Triple threat match for both the Intercontinental and European championships Kurt Angle vs Chris Jericho vs Chris Benoit Wrestlemania 2000

I'll go with what hasnt been mentioned.

HBK vs marty jannetty from the very first raw was also very good, I believe it won match of the year that year. Rock vs stone cold had a good IC fued as well.

two that havent been mentioned yet that i really liked are Jericho vs mysterio the bash 2009 and Jericho vs regal wm17

Ricky Steamboat vs Randy Savage WM3
Bret Hart vs Mr.Perfect SummerSlam 91
Bret Hart vs British Bulldog SummerSlam 92
Bret Hart vs Roddy Piper WM8

Plus the energy from Warrior's Appearance @ SummerSlam 88 vs Honky Tonk Man was fun, along with his ic title battles against Rick Rude @ WM5 & SummerSlam 89

The Rock Vs. Triple H at Summer Slam 98. the Ladder match at MSG

Well, the match that has had the biggest single impact on the world of wrestling was SS between Austin and Owen Hart. If Owen doesn't drop Austin on his head, Steve still wrestles today. It sent te greatest match, ok, but in terms of impact on the future, it wins.

The greatest match was without a doubt Savage vs Steamboat. One of the best matches in Mania history, much less IC title matches.

For sure Bret vs Perfect, Vs Piper and vs Davey are all great. Two that I didn't notice mentioned which I would put right behind Savage and Steamboat were HBK vs Razor 1 and 2 ladder matches. both were incredible and innovative at their time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back