• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Final 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
We started with 128 films, and we are now down to 8.

1970s Bracket
Alien
Star Wars

My Thoughts- WOW. I thought Alien was a good movie, but over The Godfather? That might be a bit much for my tastes. Godfather to me is better, but the people have spoken. Alien earned the spot, so it should deserve the chance to move on. On the other hand with Star Wars vs. Rocky, how do you go wrong? Star Wars should get the win here, but it won't be easy.

1980s Bracket
The Terminator
The Empire Strikes Back

4 films, four sci-fi movies. This one might be the best of the 4 matches. Here you have a movie from one of the most famous series of all time vs. an absolute classic with lines, violence, and Arnold. I really don't know what to pick of these, but I think it'll be ESB. It has a more famous line, made the series go farther, and is all around better.

1990s Bracket
Schindler's List
Forrest Gump

Schindler escaped last round barely over T2 with just one vote. Now it meets what might be the winner of this whole tournament, and I think Schindler goes down here. Forrest Gump is an all around masterpiece. Show me one hole in this film. If there is a single performance that can rival Neeson, it's Hanks here. He will blow your mind. Both greats and there is no wrong answer here.

2000s Bracket
Gladiator
Return of the King

This is the ugly stepchild of this tournament. WHoever wins here is jsut an appetizer for the movie it gets next. Of the two, I suppose ROTK is somewhat better, but I liked Gladiator more. Both won best picture, but that's not saying much in either case. Give me the hobbits.

There are only two films left that I genuinly care about at all, and seeing as they are facing each other this next round, only one will be moving on. I couldn't care less about Alien, Terminator, Return of the King, or any of the other films that the high school virgins worship. I like the Star Wars trilogy, but I am not passionate enough about either of Lucas's remaining works to care if they win or if they lose.

For me, now that Godfather, Silence of the Lambs, Rocky, and Cuckoos Nest are out, the entire tournament is summed up for me in Schindler's List vs Forrest Gump, two of the most amazing films ever made.

Alien, Empire, Gump, Gladiator - that's what I think the final 4 will be made up of.

I just want to let everyone know that there will be an altercation to the way the next round goes... there will be no voting polls. All voters must post their vote in the thread. And a proper explanation of your vote will be required, otherwise your vote will not be counted. And try to put your vote in bold, otherwise we may not notice it.

Thank you.

I'm very neutral about the last films. I really didn't like Starwars(any), Terminator or LOTR. I think Gladiator & Alien have made it far enough. I guess I'm rooting for either Forest Gump or Schindler's list to take it. Schindler's List really moved me while Forest Gump really entertained me so it's going to be tough to decide. Hanks was amazing in Gump but I still think Neeson was better. I guess I will have to listen to the arguments for both films. I kind of want this to be the final four.

Alien Vs. Empire Strikes Back
Gladiator Vs. ?

Alien over The Godfather????

Blasphemy.

Blasphemy I tells ya.

Crazy.

Star Wars is going to whoop it.

Could care less about ROTK vs Gladiator...I'm not a fan of both, so I'll probably only vote if it comes down to a veto situation.

Terminator vs. Empire.....well, since T2 lost (argh!!!!!!!!!!) I don't know if I'll end up throwing my support behind T1 or not, but most likely, I'll end up voting for Empire. That's a tough one to me.

Schindler better lose here, too. I've voted against it for like 3 rounds, but c'mon, against Gump?

Alien vs Star Wars. I haven't seen Alien, so that's one movie i'm seeing. Your tourny accomplished the one thing you wanted it to Papa. Anyway, from what i've seen, it was a major upset for Alien to beat the Godfather. I could see it beating Star Wars here then, but Star Wars could win just as easily. I'm not sure what will happen in this matchup.

The Terminator vs The Empire Strikes Back. Hardest choice for me so far in the tournament. Two great movies of that decade and just like the 70s matchup, this match could go either way. But i'm predicting that Empire Strikes Back will clinch it here, its just an overall better movie.

Schindler's List vs Forrest Gump. I hadn't even heard of Schindler's List before this tournament, maybe that's just me. Forrest Gump will take the victory here. It's a great movie, and it'll probably be the movie that wins the tournament. Not many films even come close to Forrest Gump.

Gladiator vs Return Of The King. When I saw this matchup, I thought one thing - YAWN. I really don't care about this matchup. I see Return Of The King winning it here due to it being a bigger blockbuster, but Gladiator could also win it. But whichever one wins, they'll get knocked out next round, so it doesn't matter which one wins.

I have no problem with the Godfather going out to Alien. I'll take the Peter Griffin stance on it, it does nothing for me. I think the entire genre of Mafia Movies are collectively some of the most over rated films I've seen. People don't like Sci-Fi, I don't care for Mafia movies.

In the 70's, Alien vs. Star Wars, a bit of a surprise. When I think of 70's movies, the three that pop to mind are Jaws, Rocky and Star Wars. I think Star Wars ends here. Alien was really the movie that launched Ridley Scott as a director, and Sigourney Weaver as an A-Lister. I won't be surprised if Star Wars wins.

The 80's, over all, is a terrible decade for high quality movies. It's filled with a bunch of pop culture favorites, but nothing that shook film making to it's core. Out of the two left, it's an easy choice for me.

The 90's has truly been the best decade of films in this tournament. The final 8 of this decade can match up with the 8 best movies from the other three decades. The winner of Gump vs. Schindler's List will win this tournament.

And the 00's, or whatever it's going to be called. Gladiator vs. Lord of the Rings, pretty much sums up this decade to me pre-Dark Knight. Clearly these are the films to beat this decade, and it's fitting to see this matchup. It doesn't matter who wins, because they are getting fed to whatever 90's movie emerges.

I voted for Alien last round. I'm glad it made it through. I just did not like The Godfather at all. I'll be voting for Star Wars here. Alien is entertaining, but it isn't half the movie that Star Wars is. I think Alien loses here.

I'm disappointed that Terminator has made it this far. I found it to be a rather stupid movie, actually. I'm hoping Empire takes this one. It's a great movie. Very fun. I'm a little scared about this match up. Terminator seems to have quite a following here. I still think Empire takes this one though.

I, like Tim, have never heard of Schindler's List. From what I've heard, apparently it's great. I may have to watch it sometime. But, no matter how good it is, I can't vote against Gump. Gump is a masterpiece. Everything about it is perfect. I'm hoping it can take this round. If it does, I see it winning the whole thing.

I don't see why everyone hates this last match up. ROTK was a brilliant end to one of the greatest sets of movies that I've ever seen. I can't think of a movie that I've enjoyed more than ROTK. Period. It's my favorite. I'm big on Lord of the Rings. :) I think ROTK takes this one. It's an all around better movie than Gladiator. I don't think that's arguable.

Tim and Santino, I'm gonna have to ask you guys to refrain from voting in the Schindler vs. Gump match up. You've both already fully admitted to having not seen Schindler's List, and haven't even heard of it before the tournament. Without seeing one of the films, you cannot give a real reason for voting one over the other. Really, it would just come across as tacky on your guys' parts. Feel free to post about why you like Forrest Gump, but I'm just letting you know now, any "official" vote for Forrest Gump by either of you will not be counted. I hope you guys understand.

Tim and Santino, I'm gonna have to ask you guys to refrain from voting in the Schindler vs. Gump match up. You've both already fully admitted to having not seen Schindler's List, and haven't even heard of it before the tournament. Without seeing one of the films, you cannot give a real reason for voting one over the other. Really, it would just come across as tacky on your guys' parts. Feel free to post about why you like Forrest Gump, but I'm just letting you know now, any "official" vote for Forrest Gump by either of you will not be counted. I hope you guys understand.

Yeah. In the Schindler's thread that IC made I said that I would not be voting in that match up. I understand completely.

I need to go out and rent Schindler's list. From what everyone is saying, it sounds like one of the best movies of all time. But, in my opinion, so is Gump. Should be an interesting match up, eh?

Don't worry Papa, I wasn't even thinking of voting in the finals without seeing one movie in the matchup. So I won't be voting in the Alien/Star Wars matchup either. And if someone wanted to debate with me, it would be a bit awkward. Still, i'm pulling for Forrest Gump to win this. I also need to go out and rent Schindler's List too. It sound like a great movie.

Well boys, I really think that we need a screening of Schindler's List tonight. It is Remembrance Day/Veterans Day/Whatever you call it in your respected countries. You need to get out to your movie store and rent it. That being said, I have to vote against it here and vote for Forrest Gump.

I feel proud of my boy Alien, it has gone far, Ill be voting for it over the weaker Star Wars. Alien has proven to be a heavy hitter.

That being said, I think Ill also vote for Terminator in the tournament over the other Star Wars. I like the Star Wars movies, but combined. I could watch either of the Terminators as seperate movies (Ugh forgot there was a 3rd one)

And the last is my baby. Gladiator here will do it for me. It is my favorite movie and it will go over the weaker Lord Of The Rings in Return of the King. We all know it got all those Academy Awards because they fucked up when the first one went through.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back